Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Alteisen posted:

There's something about kitties with disabilities like that, I cared for a few terminal ones and its like they know, they know that you saved them and love you so unconditionally, I've never had more loving cats in my life.

I have a 12 pound orange tabby that was the runt of the litter, and was born with two stubby front legs, so he's not too ferocious with birds/other cats/insects. He's a total snugglepuss though, and the sweetest, gentlest cat I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
BT dubs, science is pretty loving awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6SzI2ZfPd4

Oh, what's that? A horrible, deadly disease? Yeah, well, we're just going to use another horrible, deadly, disease to cure it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZ2BgPVtA0

gently caress you, God, we'll make this girl a set of arms better than what you gave her.

Also, holy poo poo, both girls are Emma? No one name little girls Emma anymore, God hates that name! :stare:

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Emma's magic arms makes me misty-eyed every time. EVERY TIME. Even listening to the doctor get a little choked up talking about it gets me choked up. 3D printing also makes me super-excited for the future, and the way they talk about how easy it is to fix and upgrade the WREX and print new parts for it is so cool. :kimchi:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DrBouvenstein posted:

gently caress you, God, we'll make this girl a set of arms better than what you gave her.

They're like little training chopsticks, but for her arms. :3:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Quadrupedal hugs.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
There's some really awesome vibes happening in this Ask/Tell thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507641
It's SA user Turpitude and his quest for his second lung transplant due to Cystic Fibrosis. I don't know this man and have never met him but I'm so happy and *proud* of him I could bust!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

:kimchi:

I'm finally sold on 3D printing. I used to think it was just a stupid pointless gimmick for rich fucks to mess around with, but this video turned me around. It can actuually be a pretty useful technology.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Japanese engineers teach a tiny robot to ride a bicycle. Look at him go!

Also, riding on the street.

Strange Charm has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Jun 21, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ulvir posted:

I'm finally sold on 3D printing. I used to think it was just a stupid pointless gimmick for rich fucks to mess around with, but this video turned me around. It can actuually be a pretty useful technology.

Yeah, I know a lot of people want to tout the virtues of 3D printing by saying stuff like,
"Well, if your dishwasher has a small part break, print a new one!" but I don't see that happening...but more medical advances wit 3D printing is awesome.

There was a story about an elderly woman who had a jaw 3D printed for her.
http://www.singularityweblog.com/the-first-3d-printed-jaw-implant/

And this is 3D printing of metal, too, not plastic. Advances! :science:

This solves one of the largest issues facing a lot of orthopaedic implants, which is the size/shape issue. None of us are alike, and surgeons and implant reps are pretty good about getting the right size/shape of the implant, but it's still rarely a perfect fit. And plenty of bones/parts don't have implants available because it wouldn't be cost effective for companies to make a huge variety of sizes/shapes for the relatively few people who need them, so 3D printing can solve these problems. Get a nice 3D MRI scan of the part is question, do some clean up work in a modeling package, send it to the printer, and bing bang boom, ready to go.

Now, if/when we get to actual 3D printed organs, then, my friend, we will be in the super-future.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Puppies racing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7WD-SpNX_I

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
This street guitarist is amazing. He uses fingernail picks, and he caresses the instrument to make it create wonderful sounds. http://www.wimp.com/guitarsolo/

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

In keeping with the earlier medical theme:

Deaf boy, 3, hears father's voice for the first time

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
James Gandolfini on Sesame Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-v6T4gUmkw

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

I can't shake the vibe that he's about to pull out a tire iron and club the poo poo out of that fuzzy orange thing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

It's no different to having a dog or cat': The Texas couple who share their home with an EIGHT-STONE capybara named Gary... and even let him sleep in their bed.

Oh my, eight whole stones?!

The gently caress is a stone?

Edit: Yes, I know it's an antiquated measurement that the UK still uses for some reason.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The capy's like 118 lbs.

Smoking Crow has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Jun 22, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
For anyone who doesn't feel like googling it, a stone is about fourteen pounds or about 6.3 kg

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ulvir posted:

Then you'd better check out RoboHand, which is a set of 3D printed fingers that is completely open source--anybody with access to a 3D printer can one. Kids without fingers can swap them out for bigger ones as they get older, easily replace broken parts, etc.

They can even make a :h:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Who wants a plush giant isopod?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's no different to having a dog or cat': The Texas couple who share their home with an EIGHT-STONE capybara named Gary... and even let him sleep in their bed.

Oh my, eight whole stones?!

The gently caress is a stone?

Edit: Yes, I know it's an antiquated measurement that the UK still uses for some reason.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Two Capybara posts and they're not from BattleMaster? Where has this world gone to?

Somewhere wonderful that is

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What I am taking from this is that I am having a positive influence on all of you. :3:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The general capybara thread: Cute, adorable and capybaras Mk. Capybaras.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I'm curious about the 3D printing, what makes it so special when it comes to medical equipment? Specifically the examples shown above with the girl's arm supports and the hand.

Could those designs and their creation come about without the use of 3D printing? Is it that 3D printing makes such equipment easier to create?

I don't mean to downplay the use of 3D printing, I watched a incredible discussion on 3D printing used on a large scale operation to build homes, but when I see these videos they are being presented as though these medical devices weren't achievable before 3D printing.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

It's because 3d printing is so cheap and accessible compared to designing plastic molds and having the huge equipment to use them. A 3d plastic printer can fit on a normal desk and the materials are cheap. And you don't need to design and make a new mold every time, you just edit the printout pattern on your computer if you need the same part bit very slightly bigger, or just one small tweak to the shape of it, or something like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its also useful for things like medical prostheses since you can take the proven design and tweak it to fit the patient perfectly.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

muscles like this? posted:

Its also useful for things like medical prostheses since you can take the proven design and tweak it to fit the patient perfectly.

AND if it doesn't fit quite right and rubs or pinches, you can just fiddle with it again and print out a new one for cheap! Traditional prostheses and orthotics are expensive, so often people will tolerate a poor fit just because it's a pain in the rear end to get it adjusted.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Capy goes to school :)

http://gianthamster.com/2013/05/school-visit-reilly-elementary/#more-6864

He even has a cape. A capy superhero. :3:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

My mom actually saw this kid on the news and told me about it. There are a lot of nice cochlear implant activation videos on Youtube, but I like this one the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzTt1VnHRM

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I'm curious about the 3D printing, what makes it so special when it comes to medical equipment? Specifically the examples shown above with the girl's arm supports and the hand.

Could those designs and their creation come about without the use of 3D printing? Is it that 3D printing makes such equipment easier to create?

I don't mean to downplay the use of 3D printing, I watched a incredible discussion on 3D printing used on a large scale operation to build homes, but when I see these videos they are being presented as though these medical devices weren't achievable before 3D printing.

Pretty much what everybody else said. 3D printing is particularly a boon to child prostheses, because children are constantly growing. 3D printing allows quick and cheap casting of successively larger prostheses without having to wait for production and delivery from a prosthetic supplier.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It's because 3d printing is so cheap and accessible compared to designing plastic molds and having the huge equipment to use them. A 3d plastic printer can fit on a normal desk and the materials are cheap. And you don't need to design and make a new mold every time, you just edit the printout pattern on your computer if you need the same part bit very slightly bigger, or just one small tweak to the shape of it, or something like that.

Also, all the designing can be done via the internet. Robohand is done by two guys, Richard in South Africa and Ivan in America. Richard cut off all four of his fingers in a woodworking accident and Ivan made a giant costume puppet hand and posted it on Youtube. Richard emailed him and they started working on various prosthetic finger prototypes, but they didn't have a 3D printer, so Richard had to send a cast of his hand to Ivan, who made a couple different designs and mailed them to South Africa, and so on until they got two 3D printers. Now they can design things on the computer and Richard can print them out right away instead of waiting for weeks to get them in the mail.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

STAMPEDE!!!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Also, all the designing can be done via the internet. Robohand is done by two guys, Richard in South Africa and Ivan in America. Richard cut off all four of his fingers in a woodworking accident and Ivan made a giant costume puppet hand and posted it on Youtube. Richard emailed him and they started working on various prosthetic finger prototypes, but they didn't have a 3D printer, so Richard had to send a cast of his hand to Ivan, who made a couple different designs and mailed them to South Africa, and so on until they got two 3D printers. Now they can design things on the computer and Richard can print them out right away instead of waiting for weeks to get them in the mail.

That last part is what gets me. They can each have the exact same object in their hand, can discuss aspects of it via video chat (skype or whatever), make modification, print revisions, and then give the files away (just as they've already done) from 10,000 miles away. Even the funding for all this was obtained through the internet, via Indiegogo. Every aspect of this project is a product of the information age, and it's actually be used for good rather than make dog dick dildos and illegal gundam models.

Traditional prosthetics are absurdly expensive. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars for something comparable to what's in the video. Even in countries with relatively sane health care systems it's often not practical for a still-growing kid to get anything on the robohand.

Man, the look on that kid's face when he caught the little rubber ball.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah, the real magic of 3D printing is that it gives us the power to take an idea for drat near anything and fabricate it on the cheap. Traditional manufacturing is always going to be better for mad producing stuff, but until now our ability to do one shot custom fabrication has been way, way behind our mass production.

3D printers can do some amazing stuff too, they're incredibly to watch print. One of my buddies has one and printed out an Eiffel tower once to show it of for me. The horizontal cabling is the coolest, the thing pumps out molten plastic that hardens before it can sag hardly at all, letting you make rigid suspended horizontal lines of plastic - watching that materialize in real time, where the head of the printer passes through empty space and suddenly there's stuff where there was emptiness, is genuinely awe inspiring.

To me, one of the most amazing things is that people aren't trying to put DRM on them, and tons of designs for things are shared open and freely. Its like Star Trek - we can make anything and the goal is not to hoard material wealth, but to enrich other people's lives with your knowledge. It's wonderful.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

El Paso Zoo has twin baby pygmy slow lorises :3:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh no you'll give away Super Capy's secret identity :ohdear:

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

tehloki posted:

I can't shake the vibe that he's about to pull out a tire iron and club the poo poo out of that fuzzy orange thing.

Maybe if it were a MADtv or Saturday Night Live parody, but, no, this is one of those times where an actor or actress from a show or movie that's not suitable for younger kids appears on a show that is suitable for younger kids.

Still, thanks for the darkly hilarious mental image.

Conky
Feb 6, 2005
Conky doesn't need air to breathe.
I live in Calgary, and it has been pretty crazy here the past few days. Here's an uplifting story to come out of the flooding. I love the last picture in the series. Meet Momo the kick rear end cat

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Penny Paper posted:

Maybe if it were a MADtv or Saturday Night Live parody, but, no, this is one of those times where an actor or actress from a show or movie that's not suitable for younger kids appears on a show that is suitable for younger kids.

Still, thanks for the darkly hilarious mental image.

Sesame Street also did a parody of Law and Order: SVU called Special Letters Unit.

• Locked thread