Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
TBZ came in, it owns, but now I want Ryutama even more. If you aren't reading ProfessorProf's writeup, you're missing the hell out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Bigopinion posted:

I'm also starting up a play-by-post session with some other G+ people...it'll be an experiment because TBZ is very much a live-session game. It can be played async via forums easily enough, but Aiki might have to be handled differently, I don't know yet.

I've been running a game on rpol.net, and I can say from experience that it works perfectly fine. I keep aiki rewards in their own thread, which makes them easy to find and give out.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
My hardcover/deluxe TBZ showed up today. Beautiful, if a little dinged-up from mishandling during shipping*:

*not Andy's fault; everything I order online get to me looking a little abused. Local PO I guess.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Those look really awesome, and I wish my upgrade hadn't disappeared into the ether*. I'll admit I'm a little afraid about the long-term durability of a big fat paperback.

All the more reason to spend big on Ryutama, I guess.

(*I really thought I'd bought the post-KS upgrade, but nothin' on my statements and no confirmation email, so I guess I got brain worms or something. Nothing on Andy or the fulfillment process here.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man, now I wish I had sprung for the hardcover upgrade. I'm not too worried about durability, since I mostly play games off PDF these days (and the lite PDFs are perfect for that, by the way), but having those glossy hardcovers on my shelf would be kick rear end.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Like a lot of other folks upthread, my copy of Tenra Bansho Zero came in and it is absolutely gorgeous. I'd seen the PDF so I knew the manga-styled art and English translation were great, but the binding and paper quality is also very good. Andy, you did a fantastic job.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
I finally hit that sweet spot of too tired and distracted to overthink it into oblivion but not too tired and distracted to actually do anything and started my F&F writeup of Meikyuu Kingdom. Figured you folks might be interested.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aw yeah got my copy of Tenra today! :woop: I seriously need to devour this thing and absorb its power.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

After spending some time browsing the Golden Sky Stories prerelease PDF, I'm liking what I'm seeing. It's simple to learn and play but still seems pretty diverse and flexible. And it's just :3: as hell.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Maleketh posted:

After spending some time browsing the Golden Sky Stories prerelease PDF, I'm liking what I'm seeing. It's simple to learn and play but still seems pretty diverse and flexible. And it's just :3: as hell.

Most adorable tanuki ever. Before I play with my friends, I'll remind them to bring pencils, marbles, and gentle feelings.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Golden Sky Stories has each each of the four parts of the book represent one of the four seasons, with Spring being first and containing character generation. Ryuutama's the same way. Is this a thing in a lot of Japanese RPGs?

e: Wait, no, Character Generation in GSS starts in Summer. Question still applies.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 2, 2013

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Glad everyone seems to be enjoying it so far. :)

Mimir posted:

Golden Sky Stories has each each of the four parts of the book represent one of the four seasons, with Spring being first and containing character generation. Ryuutama's the same way. Is this a thing in a lot of Japanese RPGs?

e: Wait, no, Character Generation in GSS starts in Summer. Question still applies.
The seasons are a big thing in Japanese culture, but I don't know of any other Japanese RPGs (or any other Japanese books for that matter) arranged into seasonal chapters.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
So hey, looks like Double Cross got translated and hardly anyone noticed?

http://j-rpg.com/?p=89

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 21, 2013

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Someone notified me of that on Twitter.

Unfortunately I can't buy it because they don't offer PDF versions, and international shipping costs more than the actual product itself. Sigh.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Yeah, I've known about it for at least a month. Don't know why I never posted about it though. My copy shipped yesterday, so I'm pretty excited to see it in English finally. I saw a lot of complaints about lack of PDF on the RPG.net thread too, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ver. Blue wasn't able to get them to sign off on an electronic version of the game, given the relative lack of TRPGs with PDF editions.

edit: yep, here's what Andy posted on RPG.net a few minutes ago:

DiamondSutra posted:

I'm not the publisher, but indeed the "no PDF" was not their choice. It's unfortunate. I hope that someone shows the company (not FEAR, mind) responsible for that attitude a translated version of this thread, so that they understand that this is the 21st century:
- Shipping is outrageous
- Many savvy players already own tablets and make heavy use of them
- Between PDF gaming and "saving shipping money by printing at a local PoD printer", this is the age of PDFs, and any company that thinks otherwise is backwards.
Unfortunately, both Ver Blue (the operation of KH Shu, who is a great, stand-up no-nonsense guy) and FEAR are both bound on this matter. But again, hoping that in time that stance softens, because between the next three planned releases from Kotodama, plus Star Line (Ewen) and others, we hope to show those rigid publishers in Japan that their archaic stances cost them Profit, Marketability, and Awareness. We hope that we'll assist in crushing that dam.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 21, 2013

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
This is why I'm really, really glad to be working with Ryo Kamiya and his company. They sell some of their own games in PDF form, and they're actually working on setting up a storefront for other publishers to do the same a la DriveThruRPG. Unfortunately a lot of other Japanese TRPGs are in the hands of traditional Japanese book publishers, who've been shunning technological progress in general.

I've met KH in person, and Andy's description of him is pretty dead on. He's very no-nonsense and business focused, and I'm glad to have someone like him getting involved in publishing. I especially like his idea to build up and get Japanese publishers' attention so that we'll be able to go after titles (like Sword World) that might otherwise be unreachable for us. And maybe we'll help them see the light about PDFs, both for the West and in Japan. There's certainly no lack of tablet users and such over there.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Does L5R count? 4E looks pretty good.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Ewen Cluney posted:

This is why I'm really, really glad to be working with Ryo Kamiya and his company. They sell some of their own games in PDF form, and they're actually working on setting up a storefront for other publishers to do the same a la DriveThruRPG. Unfortunately a lot of other Japanese TRPGs are in the hands of traditional Japanese book publishers, who've been shunning technological progress in general.

I've met KH in person, and Andy's description of him is pretty dead on. He's very no-nonsense and business focused, and I'm glad to have someone like him getting involved in publishing. I especially like his idea to build up and get Japanese publishers' attention so that we'll be able to go after titles (like Sword World) that might otherwise be unreachable for us. And maybe we'll help them see the light about PDFs, both for the West and in Japan. There's certainly no lack of tablet users and such over there.

I was there at that meeting! Though, honestly, a better time could've been picked than right in the middle of the cherry blossom festival. I also have an advanced draft of Double Cross, the game itself is actually quite basic, however the rules can present an interesting mix since you have to fight against becoming THE DEMONS. It's anime to the core.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

How does the typical Japanese TTRPG match our notions of creator-owned properties, anyway? I'm getting the impression the indie RPG scene in the West, where developer, layout artist and publisher are often the same person, doesn't have a direct analog.

BTW, Ewen, since the game isn't officially out yet, what's your stance on someone running a forums game of GSS? Presumably everyone playing wouldn't be a total bastard and would be official backers, but there's no absolute controls on that kind of thing.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Desty posted:

How does the typical Japanese TTRPG match our notions of creator-owned properties, anyway? I'm getting the impression the indie RPG scene in the West, where developer, layout artist and publisher are often the same person, doesn't have a direct analog.
The closest equivalent of the indie RPG scene of the west in Japan is the doujinshi TRPG scene there. Like with other kinds of doujinshi there's a lot of emphasis on stuff based off of anime and such (though there are also some interesting original works), and stuff tends to be printed in limited quantities and sold at events (Comiket and its smaller relatives) and not so much in normal retail venues, much less places that ship internationally. The doujin scene has a tradition of people forming "circles," small groups that work together to make stuff, and from what I've seen that's very much true of TRPG doujins.

A lot of the stuff that Kamiya & co. are doing is aimed at encouraging doujin TRPG creators to be a bit more ambitious. In addition to the aforementioned storefront (which I'm hoping will do well, considering it'd mean those games would be a lot easier to get here), they've been putting on seminars on TRPG publishing, covering desktop publishing and design and so forth, which is all kinds of awesome.

Desty posted:

BTW, Ewen, since the game isn't officially out yet, what's your stance on someone running a forums game of GSS? Presumably everyone playing wouldn't be a total bastard and would be official backers, but there's no absolute controls on that kind of thing.
Go for it! I've been looking forward to seeing what people do with the game for a while, plus for us it's basically free advertising anyway.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ewen Cluney posted:

The closest equivalent of the indie RPG scene of the west in Japan is the doujinshi TRPG scene there. Like with other kinds of doujinshi there's a lot of emphasis on stuff based off of anime and such (though there are also some interesting original works), and stuff tends to be printed in limited quantities and sold at events (Comiket and its smaller relatives) and not so much in normal retail venues, much less places that ship internationally. The doujin scene has a tradition of people forming "circles," small groups that work together to make stuff, and from what I've seen that's very much true of TRPG doujins.

A lot of the stuff that Kamiya & co. are doing is aimed at encouraging doujin TRPG creators to be a bit more ambitious. In addition to the aforementioned storefront (which I'm hoping will do well, considering it'd mean those games would be a lot easier to get here), they've been putting on seminars on TRPG publishing, covering desktop publishing and design and so forth, which is all kinds of awesome.

Go for it! I've been looking forward to seeing what people do with the game for a while, plus for us it's basically free advertising anyway.

I did not realize how much doujin culture had influenced TRPGs.

So yeah, I went ahead and went for it.

Cheneybeast
Dec 19, 2012

Parkreiner posted:

So hey, looks like Double Cross got translated and hardly anyone noticed?

http://j-rpg.com/?p=89

Thanks for the heads up! I'll post a short review once I get my copy.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Sounds cool. I'm in for Double Cross. Sounds like a more anime Night's Black Agents. I still have barely had the time to read TBZ, though. Golden Sky Stories is fantastic, though. I'm probably going to have to find some other folks to play it with, though. My group wouldn't know gentle if it walked up and said hi.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Is this the thread for a Tenra rules question?
Are the special armour and kongohki weapons all soulgem-powered? For instance, the shiki howler cannon. Does it expend a soulgem to use or is it a gunpowder thing that reloads at intermissions?
This is also an issue with most of the higher-powered, lower-RoF soulgem weapons: I find it funny that their +10 damage blasts and such only spend one soulgem to use. A soulgem katana can consume dozens of them just to cause mild damage, but when it comes to the bigger weapons the benefits of a single soulgem goes up a bunch.

e: I should mention that I'm completely in love with TBZ, especially its episodic one-shot game mentality. Thanks a bunch, guys, for bringing it to us.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I believe there's mention somewhere in the rules that if a ranged weapon's ammo type (gunpowder or soulgems) isn't stated, it uses soulgems.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Shikidan cannon is a special case, each shot costs 3 Karma, so it's significantly more expensive than your average soulgem firearm per shot, although like one, you can carry extra ammo and reload it between shots.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Just received my copy of Double Cross and read up to the powers section which is about halfway through the book. The book has a lot of typos but nothing that prevented me from understanding what was going on. It has a lot of cool ideas within the 12 "syndromes", like the Orcus syndrome which gives you control over an area, allowing you to see through the eyes of the animals in that area, or make spikes shoot out of the ground, etc. There also seems to be rules about combo-ing abilities, like using an attack that disables a target and an area of effect attack to create an attack that disables people in an area.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Just received my copy of Double Cross and read up to the powers section which is about halfway through the book. The book has a lot of typos but nothing that prevented me from understanding what was going on. It has a lot of cool ideas within the 12 "syndromes", like the Orcus syndrome which gives you control over an area, allowing you to see through the eyes of the animals in that area, or make spikes shoot out of the ground, etc. There also seems to be rules about combo-ing abilities, like using an attack that disables a target and an area of effect attack to create an attack that disables people in an area.

That's odd, I thought KH was going to do a full edit pass prior to release. I hadn't really heard much from him after I received the advanced copy; aside from the minor typographical errors, the actual book appears to be mechanically sound, and the syndromes are quite varied without having a lot of overlap.

I thought the cutest part is sort of a crash course in "how to have fun with the game" and "how to use the internet to help you play this game" in the Player's Guide. It is buried in the book but it helps to provide a clearer understanding for people who may not really be familiar with pen and paper games. Presumably it's around page 350 because of Reasons.

For those wondering about the core dice mechanic, it's very similar to roll & keep (7th Sea, L5R) - d10s, 0s count as 10, explode, and so on. The main meat of the game on a mechanical level is resource management and utilization of your superpowers to do things that dice don't normally let you do - but if you use too much of it, you go bananas and then hand over your character sheet.

This is also just a holdover from the source material, of course, but the game is naturally very insistent on playing in Japan specifically to keep things familiar - for its original audience, anyway. You may find it better to readjust some things to better suit your narrative.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Golden Sky Stories question. I get Adult, Child, and Animal, but when would you use Henge besides frightening people and Henge lore? It seems like the least useful if the stats.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
It apparently 'indicates your status among your friends'. That's kinda vaguely defined. But do take a look at the assorted Henge' powers. Not all of them have much use for Henge in their powers, but Foxes and Tanuki in particular have powers that lean very heavily on Henge. Enough that if you're playing a Fox or Tanuki, you probably want a decent rating (at last 2) in that stat.

And henge knowledge can be very useful when dealing with the more temperamental supernatural entities--for example you might know something which helps you avoid ruffling their feelings.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 27, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I can definitely see it working in a fox's favour, since they seem to deal with the Celestial Bureaucracy a lot.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

aldantefax posted:

That's odd, I thought KH was going to do a full edit pass prior to release. I hadn't really heard much from him after I received the advanced copy; aside from the minor typographical errors, the actual book appears to be mechanically sound, and the syndromes are quite varied without having a lot of overlap.

I thought the cutest part is sort of a crash course in "how to have fun with the game" and "how to use the internet to help you play this game" in the Player's Guide. It is buried in the book but it helps to provide a clearer understanding for people who may not really be familiar with pen and paper games. Presumably it's around page 350 because of Reasons.

For those wondering about the core dice mechanic, it's very similar to roll & keep (7th Sea, L5R) - d10s, 0s count as 10, explode, and so on. The main meat of the game on a mechanical level is resource management and utilization of your superpowers to do things that dice don't normally let you do - but if you use too much of it, you go bananas and then hand over your character sheet.

This is also just a holdover from the source material, of course, but the game is naturally very insistent on playing in Japan specifically to keep things familiar - for its original audience, anyway. You may find it better to readjust some things to better suit your narrative.

I thought it was interesting that TBZ and DX both have a sort of mechanic where at the end of a session you have to figure out if your character goes crazy, but the mechanics are different for both. In TBZ you basically know ahead of time how much you'll be able to lower your Karma, so unless you screw up your maths the choice about turning into a Ashura is always yours. In DX it's a roll that gets more difficult the more you've used your powers, and if you fail that roll you have some options to roll again but if you do you'll get less XP, or maybe even no XP at all depending on what you chose. I also like that it specifically says that the XP is for the player, not the character, so you're encouraged to just go nuts if you want a new character because you won't lose your xp.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Yeah, I just got my copy, and it's definitely a rougher localization than most of the recent games coming over. It's more of a literal translation and doesn't have the sorts of asides Tenra or Golden Sky Stories have, nor the slick layouts of its forebears. It's still really interesting in its Persona-minus-personas sort of way, however, and I look forward to reading through more of it when I have the chance.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I'd like to hear about what Japanese grognards argue about.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I've got a Tenra question as well. The Kugutsu Runaway archetype has the skill Perception (3), which as far as I can tell doesn't exist. So is the skill supposed to be Notice (a translation error) or Perform (a typo)? I'm starting to think its perform for using the Butterfly Dream.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

Andy mentionned on the Google+ board that it was Notice, I believe.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Thanks, I'll poke around the Google+ for more info.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

demota posted:

I'd like to hear about what Japanese grognards argue about.

Funny you should mention that. Someone in ADTRW linked to this thread because a discussion of the manga Quick Start came up. It's basically about a group of high school students in a trpg club. I thought one or two people here might be interested in checking it out. It would probably be an interesting look into the gaming culture over there. They play several of the games mentioned here like Arianrhod, Double Cross, and Tenra WAR.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So apparently, an anon on 4chan's /tg/ has been translating the Quick Start manga, a 4koma about cute girls playing tabletop games. The first system featured is Alshard

5 pages have been translated so far. Here's the first:

Edit: Apparently word's gotten around already. I wonder if the translator ("Exaltedfag") is a goon or if "he" heard it from one.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That manga looks pretty neat. Here's hoping more gets translated, because it looks like it has promise.

Also, for some reason it reminds me of Echo-pun.

• Locked thread