Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
When I bust out the record to listen to while I make my lonely meals for myself I'll usually go with either side 2 or side 4. Contact just sounds so awesome with the full room for the song to breath. People who only listened to the itunes rip of it and wrote it off as scratching whiny noise are really missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SeXReX posted:

People who only listened to the itunes rip of it and wrote it off as scratching whiny noise are really missing out.

Well some of it is scratching whiny noise, and that's why it's so good :D

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhh, guys...

http://mcmangos.bandcamp.com/album/gangnam-access-memories

:magical:

e: Oh my, the Giorgio one is clearly the best of all of them. My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everyone calls me Psy.

e2: Okay, maybe not. The Doin' It Right one is also a strong contender for best one here.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 16, 2013

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I don't want to live in a world where Daft Punk and Psy is mashed together. :|

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Television rules the gangnam

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
RAM is not what I wanted but I can't say it doesn't make sense for them. They started out as a band. I also don't like that they worked with not disco legends but that's not a real complaint either. Album is average for me. Doin' It Right and the track with Giorgio are my favorites.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

-Inu- posted:

Because I like to see other people enjoying music from some of my favorite artists? Crazy poo poo, I know. It's also notable because daft punk has never had this much mainstream success before.

Ah yes. Noted underground, low-key artist Daft Punk.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

Ah yes. Noted underground, low-key artist Daft Punk.
Nice false dichotomy there. I'm not sure what circles you run in, but most people I run into at work and such don't know who Daft Punk is when they ask what I'm listening to. But since it's apparently a cardinal sin to want Daft Punk to enjoy a larger following even if they're already larger-than-unknown, I guess I'd better grab my rosary and atone.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Nice false dichotomy there. I'm not sure what circles you run in, but most people I run into at work and such don't know who Daft Punk is when they ask what I'm listening to. But since it's apparently a cardinal sin to want Daft Punk to enjoy a larger following even if they're already larger-than-unknown, I guess I'd better grab my rosary and atone.
Try squeezing in a Get Some Perspective You Histrionic Weirdo between the Hail Marys and the Glory Bes

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I "run in the circle of" a world where they had sold two million records before they headlined Lollapalooza(hint: this means they're mainstream and people know who they are) and created the soundtrack for a big budget Hollywood action movie. Those two million sales mostly coming after the onset of online piracy.

They have always been known in the mainstream. I could find some groups of friends, I'm sure, where not one of them knows who Arcade Fire is. That doesn't mean Arcade Fire isn't huge.

It doesn't mean you can't be happy for them but this isn't like some local underground rapper just blew up and is doing a number one single with Snoop or something.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Daft Punk is enormously famous and you're deluding yourself if you think differently. They're huge.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

All I know is my brother just bought the album yesterday (a physical cd nonetheless) and he NEVER buys music, let alone daft punk. He's not into house music , but he LOVES this album. So their audience grew for sure.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I know Im late on this but I finally picked up the vinyl the other day. There are still a lot of tracks I skip every time but this album has largely grown on me (ie. i finally get it - some might recall i kinda hated it at first).

That being said, this is one of the best sounding records in recent memory. The master is drat sweet, as is the artwork. The inner gatefold synth art is so cool (will add a pic when i get home) and I like the oldschool label-oriented look of the stickers on the actual records. Those are the kinds of thoughtful touches that I expect from modern vinyl. All around it is very nice package and was worth the (rather high) price tag.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah over the past couple of weeks I've had really out of left field people tell me they really like this album. Chief among them being my parents who listen to Disney park music, lady gaga, easy listening rock and C&C music factory. Actually I guess that kind of makes sense in hindsight.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I was never the biggest Daft Punk fan but I finally got a chance to listen to the whole thing this past week, and I was really let down. It had the occasional moment to it, but overall I found myself barely caring. I really like how "contact" went sorta nuts and built up, but that was the only song on the album that kept my interest all the way through. Everything else felt at least a minute too long and repetitive. I haven't listened to Get Lucky that much ( <10 times) but even by the album listen I was getting bored by it, and outside Contact Get Lucky was the only song I sort of liked. Nothing felt terribly fresh, it just sounded kind of self indulgent. I was really disappointed. I really don't get the love. I'll have to try it a few more times before I'm secure in that opinion though.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011

Febreeze posted:

it just sounded kind of self indulgent.

Thank you, until now I've been unable to pinpoint what exactly I don't like about it. I was expecting the grandfathers of disco/funk house to come back with Discovery 2, or close to it, in the form of amazing samples backed with the likes of disco legends. Not saying they should have done that but I was sure they would. With french house finally making it's way to the US via people like The Phantom's Revenge, Solidisco, J Paul Getto, etc. it only made sense that Daft Punk would come back and rip a hole in the universe with the best french house in years. Instead they went with something more marketable and I cannot blame them. Bit of a letdown is all.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I would pay many dollars to hear Hall & Oates cover Fragments of Time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah, even now that the album is grown on me, I still skip half of the tracks. Give Life Back to Music, Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Get Lucky, and Fragments of Time are all great to me though. Contact is a cool closer but I stand by what I said about how that Japan bonus track (despite being an obvious Air pastiche) would have made a good denouement after Contact to wrap the album up.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

thathonkey posted:

Yeah, even now that the album is grown on me, I still skip half of the tracks. Give Life Back to Music, Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Get Lucky, and Fragments of Time are all great to me though. Contact is a cool closer but I stand by what I said about how that Japan bonus track (despite being an obvious Air pastiche) would have made a good denouement after Contact to wrap the album up.

You don't like Game of Love/Beyond? You crazy

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

yeah beyond is awesome. The intro seems out of place, but the song itself is one of my favorites. "Remember, love's our only mission. This is a journey of the soul"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

an skeleton posted:

You don't like Game of Love/Beyond? You crazy

Those I am pretty neutral on so I will give them a few more spins and get back to you.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

http://youtu.be/pyU1hymk6no

i like this remix. Kanye and some tweaks to the tempo. Pretty neat.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Jewel Repetition posted:

Here's something cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3BOZ6QQtU

I particularly like 1920 and 1930, even though 20 doesn't sound like any standard I've ever heard, and 1930 is like a fusion between manouche jazz and proto-swing.

This was really cool and I feel compelled to track those songs down now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I ruined this album... well, not ruined but just that I was reading the Steve Jobs biography when this came out non-stop and well, all the songs bring back certain chapters of that book to mind each time. From the sad stuff when he was dying to the upbeat songs when poo poo was going good.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Vintersorg posted:

I think I ruined this album... well, not ruined but just that I was reading the Steve Jobs biography when this came out non-stop and well, all the songs bring back certain chapters of that book to mind each time. From the sad stuff when he was dying to the upbeat songs when poo poo was going good.

I did this with Joe Hill's NOS4A2. So creepy child-kidnapping monsters pop into mind sometimes while listening. Thanks, Joe Hill!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

somnambulist posted:

http://youtu.be/pyU1hymk6no

i like this remix. Kanye and some tweaks to the tempo. Pretty neat.
That off time kick drum is driving me up a wall.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Get Lucky jumped up this week. Sitting at #2 in the US now! Also, RAM went gold. Good week for Daft Punk. Just need a #1 and a platinum now.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1567379/robin-thickes-blurred-lines-remains-atop-hot-100-chart

edit: fixed link/typos because phone posting is poo poo

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 20, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Awesome! I have been giving the album a rest but I may spin it again today in celebration.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

-Inu- posted:

That off time kick drum is driving me up a wall.

Seriously, that fucks up the entire premise of it being a DJ re-edit or whatever, I can't believe that dude would release it like that.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Nicolas Jaar remixed the entire album. He's played around with the track order, so if you've never heard of Nicolas Jaar I'd recommend starting with Beyond as that's the most accessible. The first two tracks are pretty much just experimental noise, so stay away from those if you're not into that kind of thing. Everything after that is gold though.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 21, 2013

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
drat, that's good! I think I'm starting to like the remix of Get Lucky more than the original song though.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Man, that is one sweet remix!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Goddamn. That beyond remix. Fffffffffff. Funky as hell. love it.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
This might have been posted early on but I was just reading this interview with the Mick Guzauski who engineered and mixed Random Access Memories and I found it very interesting in regards to how the album was recorded/mixed and why it sounds so tasty: http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/05/27/icons-mick-guzauski-on-engineering-and-mixing-daft-punks-random-access-memories/

I hadn't really payed much attention to Daft Punk after Human After All so I'm having great fun getting acquainted with Alive 2007. It sounds weird to say but I'm really proud of the guys and how they have manifested Daft Punk throughout the years.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

thathonkey posted:

I know Im late on this but I finally picked up the vinyl the other day. There are still a lot of tracks I skip every time ...
That seems like a lot of effort!

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
I really want an entire album of stuff like Fragments of Time, it's just so funky and spacey and relaxed :3:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
It's called Hall & Oates, dude.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
It's also the Doobie Brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJe1iUuAW4M

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
This album keeps growing on me. I've loaded it quite a few times with the intention of only listening to my favorite tracks and ended up playing the entire album. I think that the album would benefit from a track re-ordering but it's still quite strong as is.

Like a lot of other people I love Giorgio (especially when the strings kick in halfway through) and Contact. I don't know much about electronic or dance artists, so who should I listen to if I want to hear more of those styles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

kalensc posted:

This album keeps growing on me. I've loaded it quite a few times with the intention of only listening to my favorite tracks and ended up playing the entire album. I think that the album would benefit from a track re-ordering but it's still quite strong as is.

Like a lot of other people I love Giorgio (especially when the strings kick in halfway through) and Contact. I don't know much about electronic or dance artists, so who should I listen to if I want to hear more of those styles?

I can't think of artists that fit the styles of those songs, really, except maybe Giorgio Moroder (his stuff for Donna Summer and probably other stuff) for Giorgio, and for some reason Contact reminds me of Justice. I just recently heard their first album, Cross, for their first time and it is pretty good stuff.

• Locked thread