Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hell, you can support the royal family and still not want to see every cartoon in a paper be about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

US and Taliban to open direct peace talks.

Telegraph:

Redundancies in the British Army.

Independent:

Afghans take nationwide security lead from Nato.

Express:

G8 backs urgent peace talks in Syria; Charles Saatchi cautioned for Nigella Lawson assault.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey look, he can do actual politics when it lets him be a massive poo poo in the process. Haha spousal abuse

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I just don't think I can do the thread anymore guys. This fucker is killing me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

baka kaba posted:

Hey look, he can do actual politics when it lets him be a massive poo poo in the process. Haha spousal abuse

I really wanted to believe it was "this guy is an rear end in a top hat; let's see how tough he is fighting against guys with weapons. Also, get out of the country." :smith:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

prefect posted:

I really wanted to believe it was "this guy is an rear end in a top hat; let's see how tough he is fighting against guys with weapons. Also, get out of the country." :smith:
That's possibly the intention, but it's delivered in such a crass and stupid way that it manages to trivialize both spousal abuse and the mass murder of civilians.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

prefect posted:

His usual schtick is 'no-nonsense celebrity figure achieves something notable, so let's put him in some other situation where he'll get results'. The fact Cameron actually wants to send aid to the rebels and he's depicted as smirkingly saying 'we've decided to send this guy' implies Saatchi is an effective and proven fighter, instead of an abusive old man

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I know it's good for a laugh every loving day but seriously this thread has turned into Express Cartoonist Chat every day by just how loving awful he is. That one is the icing on the loving cake.

Can we agree to stop posting his loving poo poo cartoons and focus on the others or is it like some kind of horrified fascination and we need to keep going?

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Ok, there's the fox, the bird...but I can't find any members of the royal family

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BastardySkull posted:

I know it's good for a laugh every loving day but seriously this thread has turned into Express Cartoonist Chat every day by just how loving awful he is. That one is the icing on the loving cake.

Can we agree to stop posting his loving poo poo cartoons and focus on the others or is it like some kind of horrified fascination and we need to keep going?

Oh, no. The dozens who have begged in vain for no more posting of Chris Muir's "work" in the US politoons thread were rebuffed because "we need to show how poo poo it is", so you can suffer too.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Jedit posted:

Oh, no. The dozens who have begged in vain for no more posting of Chris Muir's "work" in the US politoons thread were rebuffed because "we need to show how poo poo it is", so you can suffer too.

Come on, the US toons thread is literally an rear end making GBS threads forever, don't turn the UK thread into that.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

ClownSyndrome posted:

Ok, there's the fox, the bird...but I can't find any members of the royal family

Small man in the background is Charles being excluded because serious politicians have no desire to hear any of his opinions.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

^^^^pff, beaten, but I like mine better.

ClownSyndrome posted:

The slenderman-looking figure in the background is actually Princess Anne in cosplay.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I really like this one it.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Obama in Berlin calls for US-Russia nuclear weapons cuts.

Telegraph:

Cameron praises G8 pledge for Syria; Run of wet summers could last another 10 years.

Independent:

Jail reckless bankers, standards commission urges.

Express:

Annual horse-racing/wacky-hat compo Royal Ascot is happening.

Without the Express we'd only be drawing our content from four sources (Mac of the Mail hasn't updated in two weeks), and I think the Telegraph's paywall will be introduced at the end of the month, reducing the number of cartoons down further.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Three foxes, a new record!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Perhaps it's time we consider merging the UK thread back into the general thread? I know everyone bitched about them before, but a) Muir keeps getting posted and bitched about, and b) these are infinitely better than Muir's poo poo. Even Foxy McRoyalFamily-upon-Twat.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

No because the Americans all whine about the lack of labels and which ones are the democrats?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Without the Express we'd only be drawing our content from four sources (Mac of the Mail hasn't updated in two weeks), and I think the Telegraph's paywall will be introduced at the end of the month, reducing the number of cartoons down further.

It's really typical that you would cite a lack of competition between cartoon sources as a reason to continue posting his drivel. Cartoons are to be enjoyed by everyone, they are a natural monopoly and there's no reason to post any cartoons other than Steve Bells.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

BastardySkull posted:

Cartoons are to be enjoyed by everyone, they are a natural monopoly and there's no reason to post any cartoons other than Steve Bells.

Rowson :mad: and I really don't mind Dave Brown.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BastardySkull posted:

It's really typical that you would cite a lack of competition between cartoon sources as a reason to continue posting his drivel. Cartoons are to be enjoyed by everyone, they are a natural monopoly and there's no reason to post any cartoons other than Steve Bells.

You thought you could have the acerbity of British satire without the cloying, suffocating British inanity that fuels it? Suffer to know it's real.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Might be interesting to post the Private Eye cartoons just to show how horrendous they are. It's weirdly at odds with the rest of the paper which is usually pretty good. They have the regular "Yobs" strip which is classist as hell, and in others whenever they draw Wendi Deng she's always talking with her Ls and Rs swapped like a Chinese stereotype from the 19th century.

There was one in the issue before last that very nearly made me stop buying it, but there's not really any other paper that has such good whistleblowing and investigative stories. It had a chav stereotype answering a questionnaire:
"Why don't you get a job picking fruit?
A. I'm better off on benefits
B. I can't be bothered
C. What's a fruit?"
No sign of "D. There are no jobs, agricultural or otherwise, and the GLA don't have enough powers to keep you safe if you did have one".

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Perhaps it's time we consider merging the UK thread back into the general thread? I know everyone bitched about them before, but a) Muir keeps getting posted and bitched about, and b) these are infinitely better than Muir's poo poo. Even Foxy McRoyalFamily-upon-Twat.

It never worked in the past because it'd either just flat out be ignored or would have people calling stuff racist because they thought David Milliband was Obama and generally getting really angry because they couldn't understand it because it didn't have labels / enough labels which we always found funny because they tend to get angry at everything being labels.

Stottie Kyek posted:

Might be interesting to post the Private Eye cartoons just to show how horrendous they are. It's weirdly at odds with the rest of the paper which is usually pretty good. They have the regular "Yobs" strip which is classist as hell, and in others whenever they draw Wendi Deng she's always talking with her Ls and Rs swapped like a Chinese stereotype from the 19th century.

There was one in the issue before last that very nearly made me stop buying it, but there's not really any other paper that has such good whistleblowing and investigative stories. It had a chav stereotype answering a questionnaire:
B. I can't be bothered
C. What's a fruit?"
No sign of "D. There are no jobs, agricultural or otherwise, and the GLA don't have enough powers to keep you safe if you did have one".

Yeah we mix it up abit sometimes but its annoying that you have to pay a subscription to The Times to be able to see Scarfe's newest cartoons. The first 3 posts in the OP has most of the cartoonists but still need to add some more. The Financial Times has an ok cartoonist too eg:

Then there is stuff like Matt from the Telegraph:

:suicide:

Nick Hayes does some cartoons sometimes for papers and his art style I quite like:

Then there's Peter Duggan [he does a satirical take on the art world, with a tongue-in-cheek tribute to an artist every week]. Eg:

quote:

The pre-Raphaelites
William Holman Hunt, Edward Burne-Jones, John Millais, Ford Madox Brown and Dante Gabriel Rossetti would rather be seen as radical than Romantic in Peter Duggan's reworking of art history

Telegraph tends to have 3 or so cartoonists take it in turns to do their cartoons, Adams is by far the most right wing.

Bob Moran:

Telegrapth.

Guardian.

The Scotsman cartoons is a poor try at Rowson's work and tends to be blurry 70% of the time:

20/06/13.

I do love that alot of cartoonists are still using paint and making their cartoons a work of art like Steve Bell and Rowson etc.

Can try and working on getting some more in but outside the big 3 they tend to be pretty random when they're added and even don't add new one for a couple of days or even weeks. :(

Also if you haven't already its worth checking the first 3 posts to the thread / OP. :yayclod:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 20, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Stottie Kyek posted:

B. I can't be bothered
C. What's a fruit?"
However, they also have 'Scene & Heard' by David Ziggy Greene which is loving awesome. A rare online strip can be read here. Granted it's basically vox pop stuff, but he makes the effort to speak to relevant people and present a wide range of views. There's been some excellent ones recently on food banks and protests.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I don't think the Ascot Dress Code allows to prominently displayed bird tattoos either :v:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Tincans posted:

I don't think the Ascot Dress Code allows to prominently displayed bird tattoos either :v:

Or balloon hats.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Tincans posted:

Presto posted:

Or balloon hats.

That's why they're still outside the Royal Enclosure. :britain:

EDIT: You couldn't make it up:

(via)

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 20, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Telegraph:

Iraq damages cases: Supreme Court rules families can sue. After Benjamin West.

Independent:

Express:

George Osborne turns down ballad duet offer.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not like George is his real name either.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I like the warning signs. Some of them are actually there on the Victory today, but I don't recall if all of them are.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
The Guardian:

Owen Paterson: UK must become global leader on GM crops

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

gently caress's sake, Bell, quit phoning it in.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

gently caress's sake, Bell, quit phoning it in.

The other thread has broke me, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic / ironic. :negative:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I just think he's not been up to his usual par. Then again there's a cracker of a story with the Tory Wet Dream List O' Bills, so hopefully the next one'll be great.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

I just think he's not been up to his usual par. Then again there's a cracker of a story with the Tory Wet Dream List O' Bills, so hopefully the next one'll be great.

I know what you mean, Steve Bell like writers gets seems to get writers block he did a video on it once where he just starts going crazy on not having any ideas and then something just clicks (like when he started doing Cameron as a condom). :smith:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The last few have been a far cry from his work earlier this year about the flat rate pension. I mean look at this.

Also waiting to post all 5 "If"'s at the end of week is boring.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We may have to give our troops adequate protection or not put them in pointless wars in the first place? Heaven forbid.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Pity that no Iraqi families will be able to sue over their civilian relatives being killed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Anyone else find themselves thinking they'd prefer BDSM Osborne as Chancellor over the real one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

LP97S posted:

Also waiting to post all 5 "If"'s at the end of week is boring.

There is only 4 a week! Monday to Thursday!

• Locked thread