Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Double post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's some tasty plotting.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is it possible to break the gate just by hitting it? If there's no self-destruct and with no access to magic, this might prove difficult. Whatever they do think up, though, there's a high chance it'll kill Belkar.

Also I thought it was neat that Malack passed on revealing the Order, both to spite Nale and honor Durkon's last request.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Malack continues to be pretty cool for an evil genocidal bastard.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dolash posted:

Is it possible to break the gate just by hitting it? If there's no self-destruct and with no access to magic, this might prove difficult. Whatever they do think up, though, there's a high chance it'll kill Belkar.

Worked on Soon's gate, that only took one hit.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
There's also one other problem with breaking the gate: Xykon is on the way, and he probably knows where Kraagor's gate is. Destroying the gate will keep it from Tarquin's hands, but Xykon can just teleport to the next one and have a huge lead as the Order struggles to catch up.

I'm pretty sure that Tarquin will come back down here too, he's smart enough to at least verify that it's not a double bluff.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, Malack continues to be pretty cool for an evil genocidal bastard.

And it will probably get him killed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I did not see that coming. :stare:

sebmojo posted:

And it will probably get him killed.

Or it might lead to him getting devamped eventually.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

There's also one other problem with breaking the gate: Xykon is on the way, and he probably knows where Kraagor's gate is.

Yeah, it took me a second to figure out why exactly Roy wants to destroy the gate, but from his perspective, it's the best way to make sure it stays out of the bad guy's reach.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I imagine V showing up to tell him "Don't do it you idiot!" a moment too late.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Destroying gates create big explosions. Does Roy remember that? He was a bit dead when Soon's gate blasted the castle (and Miko) apart; and he might think the explosion of Dorukan's gate was caused by the special runes that guarded it against evil rather than by its intrinsic nature of being a gate.

Anyway, I can imagine the load-bearing pillars in the vicinity of the gate to be blasted away, making the pyramid crumble atop the would-be gate conquerors.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Flesh Forge posted:

I really like the reference to Roy's Architecture skill.

He's going to retire as an architect after all of this is over.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Cat Mattress posted:

Destroying gates create big explosions. Does Roy remember that? He was a bit dead when Soon's gate blasted the castle (and Miko) apart; and he might think the explosion of Dorukan's gate was caused by the special runes that guarded it against evil rather than by its intrinsic nature of being a gate.

Anyway, I can imagine the load-bearing pillars in the vicinity of the gate to be blasted away, making the pyramid crumble atop the would-be gate conquerors.

RFED. GG, everyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Roy almost certainly knows it but it isn't like he has another choice.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's too bad V isn't there to display the 1,001st use for Explosive Runes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MikeJF posted:

Why do I have a feeling that Girard didn't include a convenient self-destruct rune.

I don't know, it would be in keeping with his paranoia to include a rune like that for the worse-case scenario.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I chuckled at Belkar's joke.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The best part is if Durkon had been free willed right now he would have noticed, but a vampire thrall probably doesn't get to use it's free Stonecunning check. :haw:

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
So, what are the consequences for breaking these things again? I don't remember why you wouldn't always want to.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
They're enormous holes in existence a monster occasionally reaches out of and kills people through.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

El Generico posted:

So, what are the consequences for breaking these things again? I don't remember why you wouldn't always want to.

It weakens the fabric of reality. Previously, this let the snarl reach out and unmake things in the vicinity. If they all become unsealed and reality tears enough, the snarl gets out and unmakes all of reality and probably the gods too.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

It weakens the fabric of reality. Previously, this let the snarl reach out and unmake things in the vicinity. If they all become unsealed and reality tears enough, the snarl gets out and unmakes all of reality and probably the gods too.

Ahh, right. Always seems like the world's hosed however you slice it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah if they're broken the snarl can stick his gross noodly things through and poke people with them (maybe? probably? I don't think we've seen it happen outside of the crayon flashback).

As for why not break them all, I actually dunno, but when the gate is broken it causes a lot of damage and the tear does end up a lot bigger than the original non-gated tear, so I'd imagine if they ALL get broken things will probably get mad trippy as the snarl rips things up and the gods make another world

e:f-B

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Uranium Phoenix posted:

The gods could fix the tears, but doing so would require unmaking, and then remaking, all of reality. So let's call that Plan B.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Either way, Redcloak will win.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Basically, the tears were slowly getting wider and reality was eventually going to fall apart until the gates were built, which stopped the decay. They could always be reconstructed, I guess is what Roy's thinking.

That said, destroying the Azure City gate seems to have ripped that tear wide open.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Were the gates really widening? I had thought they were just sitting there, unnoticed and occasionally killing/unmaking people who got too close. Then the gates were made to seal them off. Granted its been a long while since I went through the archives/SoD.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I totally fell for that double bluff. Not because I didn't think the gate was in the pillar behind a lead sheet, which I totally did, but because I didn't doubt for a second that there would really be another pyramid, however small.

Note to self: illusionists are by definition liars.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 22, 2013

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Cliff Racer posted:

Were the gates really widening? I had thought they were just sitting there, unnoticed and occasionally killing/unmaking people who got too close. Then the gates were made to seal them off. Granted its been a long while since I went through the archives/SoD.

This strip is one of the ones showing the Paladin's rift as it has grown. There are several others. Remember, the Paladin's gate started out the size of a gem.

I think in the crayon adventures, it's mentioned the rifts open up, kill people, and grow.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Uranium Phoenix posted:

This strip is one of the ones showing the Paladin's rift as it has grown. There are several others. Remember, the Paladin's gate started out the size of a gem.

I think in the crayon adventures, it's mentioned the rifts open up, kill people, and grow.

But there are almost certainly some Very Important Things we don't know about the Snarl.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

sebmojo posted:

But there are almost certainly some Very Important Things we don't know about the Snarl.

Oh absolutely. We don't know why there's a planet inside the rift, and we don't know why it isn't attacking people this go-around (the two are probably connected). I don't think we'll find out about it's secrets yet with the shattering of this gate (though it's possible). I think Rich will wait until the final gate to reveal more about the snarl.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Uranium Phoenix posted:

When published I took that to be an effect of the explosion and then further tampering that Xycon and Redcloak were doing to it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cliff Racer posted:

When published I took that to be an effect of the explosion and then further tampering that Xycon and Redcloak were doing to it.

No, they haven't been tampering AFAIK. They don't care about anything but the gates.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Smashing the gates is starting to look a little too much like the easy option around here. If they smash this one, I imagine they'll be told by someone or other that if all five gates are destroyed the gods are going to remake the universe to keep the Snarl sealed. That way we'll go into Kraagor's Gate knowing they can't just blow it up to keep it out of the villains' hands this time.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The thing is they can't defend this one, so smashing is pretty much the only option they have. The Order is down both of their spell casters and any summons they might have provided. And Tarquin will probably come downstairs very soon. So it's pretty much stand and fight against really really bad odds, or destroy it and hope for the best,

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Sometime around now would be a good time for Haley's Father to show up, and have all his suspicions about Roy and his party confirmed when he finds them trying to destroy the gate.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Destroying the gate is their best bet right now. Tarquin's crew is nearby and he's probably going to catch on to the double bluff right quick, Xykon could arrive literally any moment, and the Order isn't in any shape to hold their own against any one enemy crew right now. Better to have the gate destroyed and reset the power balance hoping to be able to regroup properly for the last gate.

Plus a somewhat bleak factor: could be Roy's hoping the blast from destroying the gate will take out everyone including the Order, leaving O-Chul at the last gate to sort things out somehow.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am partially expecting someone to have to stay behind to destroy the gate, while the others distract the Bad Guys to give that person time. (Belkar)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

No, they haven't been tampering AFAIK. They don't care about anything but the gates.

Yeah they were, they were trying to figure the gates out when they were throwing those prisoners into it. Course if Xycon were really patient, since he has all the time in the world. he aught to have just sent for a legendary spell caster to make a new gate at one of the three destroyed ones, that way he doesn't have to battle for it. Or whatever it was that the OotSc did to build theirs. I guess he wasn't patient enough or thinks waiting in Azure City is too risky or just thinks that it would be easier to blast through a pyramid of hippies than to come up with the gold for that magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

This is actually a pretty good plan by Roy. Suicidal, but good. Here's what he has to do: The Order waits for Xykon to appear. Roy sits on Redcloak, using his new feat to keep Redcloak from casting Word of Recall, while telling Xykon what he intends to do. Xykon hears Roy, and figures, hey, my phylactery is on the Astral Plane, so if you blow up this gate and destroy my body, big deal, I'll regenerate in my fortress and just hoof it to the last gate on my own. This train of thought will keep Xykon from being personally invested in actually saving the gate, so it should be a simple task for the rest of the Order to destroy it. Plus, since the phylactery is actually on Redcloak's person instead of on the Astral Plane, it will most likely be destroyed along with everyone else at the gate, which discharges the blood oath and protects the world from Xykon. All in all, a very decent plan for Roy to think of. It will be interesting to see what breaks down and where.