Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Motronic posted:

It's not only slow and handles poorly, but the interior is a sea of cheap looking rattly plastic. Fresh from the factory the 5 speed felt like you were stirring soup rather than changing gears.

Good enough? Yeah, I owned one for a brief time.

I've never driven one but I've always been smitten by the body style, but AWD twin turbo is slow and boaty you say?

I would have never guessed. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DrPain posted:

I've never driven one but I've always been smitten by the body style, but AWD twin turbo is slow and boaty you say?

I would have never guessed. Thanks!

No matter how impressive twin turbo sounds, it's 1991 twin turbo: 220 HP or so.

The AWD makes the car feel like it weighs about as much as the QE2. Which is strange, because it only weighs half that much. (But seriously....3,800 freaking pounds. For an early '90s "sports" car.)

Sorry you didn't like the opinion, but you asked for it. If you've never driven a proper sports car I'm sure you'll like it just fine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sports car? poo poo, a modern Camry accelerates and handles better than that pig.

Even the 4-banger models.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm sorry, where's the moped? I DON'T SEE A MOPED.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
^^^ Just weld some pedals on it.

DrPain posted:

Quick! Somebody talk me out this.

I love how these pictures are always taken while the car and the ground around it are still wet, so that it looks like the paint is actually decent. They could at least drive it to a dry spot so it isn't as obvious...

And I'd buy it for that price, I really liked these when I was younger and they were still selling them. They're a headache to work on and yeah they're heavy and not terribly fast, but I think they look great and it's a unique car for its time.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

The AWD makes the car feel like it weighs about as much as the QE2. Which is strange, because it only weighs half that much. (But seriously....3,800 freaking pounds. For an early '90s "sports" car.)

Sorry you didn't like the opinion, but you asked for it. If you've never driven a proper sports car I'm sure you'll like it just fine.

Holy poo poo. Every early 2000s GM sedan with a N/A 3.8 has basically the same power and ~400lbs less.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Plus the AWD system wasn't the best either.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

G-Mach posted:

Plus the AWD system wasn't the best either.

It was basically the same as the DSM and earlier Evos, as good as anything else you can get on a FWD car.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Motronic posted:

They're more like 300hp (The later models were around 320).

That being said I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot clown pole.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

They're more like 300hp (The later models were around 320).

Maybe they were, but they are such fat girls that strip model econoboxes had better HP/weight ratios.

Seriously, the Talon/Eclipse was a much more enjoyable car to drive.

The thing that's so disappointing about the 3000GT/Stealth is that it was really good looking for it's time. They still look pretty drat good to me. How/why they ruined them with minivan motors and massive amounts of weight is beyond comprehension and quite disappointing.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

When I get bored, or can't sleep, I'll trawl through the cars for sale, looking for potential engine swap mates. Not that I would have the money for such a project, but it's fun just to dream.

Tonight, I found this...

and I think it should be pared up with this.

quote:

440 mopar out of car. f/s f/t - $600 (Leicester)
I was told it was out of a 73 New Port. Motor looks like something that was pulled from a car and left for some future project. The motor is not froze up, and it was said to run when removed from the car. The motor is equipped with a four bbl carb from the factory. That is all I know of it. Price also includes a 727 auto trans, and all the brackets / parts attached to the motor.
May trade for Engine Machine work on small block chevrolet.
no texts / no emails

Blasphemous? Possibly.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

DrPain posted:

This should be enough: It's probably not an R/T Turbo, just a regular R/T. The R/T Turbos are as hard to find as a 300GT VR-4 (because they are basically the same car), and they still command a premium over the naturally aspirated cars. If it IS a Turbo, then the price is good. If it's a regular R/T it will be slow and wallow.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
They look so awesome, but it's hard to find a VR4 and even harder to spend the necessary funds to make it actually fast.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Motronic posted:

Maybe they were, but they are such fat girls that strip model econoboxes had better HP/weight ratios.

Seriously, the Talon/Eclipse was a much more enjoyable car to drive.

The thing that's so disappointing about the 3000GT/Stealth is that it was really good looking for it's time. They still look pretty drat good to me. How/why they ruined them with minivan motors and massive amounts of weight is beyond comprehension and quite disappointing.

All the cars were really heavy at the time though. When you start throwing stuff like active suspension, 80 kinds of leather power seats, 20 speaker stereos, active aero, old 90s style airbags, etc. It was a big electronic dumpy 90s technology demo.

It's not like the later (R33+) GTRs were exactly flyweights either. poo poo, 300ZX 2+2 TTs were around 3600 pounds without AWD. The only 90s era GT car of the time that wasn't really heavy was the RX-7.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

The only 90s era GT car of the time that wasn't really heavy was the RX-7.

You know, that's probably it. I'm comparing it to things that are not GT cars of the time.....mostly because I never really considered it one, but I suppose it is.

You're absolutely right on the dumpy 90s technology demo. Any boy did they age like it.

It's still a great looking car, it just does and always has looked a whole lot better than it performs. And at this point, even if it is the TT I don't see how it's worth the cost of keeping it on the road or making more power considering the wealth of alternatives that are going to be better in pretty much every way for the same money.

I enjoyed mine for a few months, mostly as I walked up to it in the parking lot, not so much when I was driving it. It was one of a long string of the standard AI automotive ADD "buy it at the auction, fix it, drive it, flip it, repeat." I don't regret driving it or selling it, but that was 1996 or 1997. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole now.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This should be enough: It's probably not an R/T Turbo, just a regular R/T. The R/T Turbos are as hard to find as a 300GT VR-4 (because they are basically the same car), and they still command a premium over the naturally aspirated cars. If it IS a Turbo, then the price is good. If it's a regular R/T it will be slow and wallow.

:confused:

Oh god I'm so conflicted.

Can I put bigger turbos on it to make it not a slug? Or something?

DrPain fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 21, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DrPain posted:

Can I put bigger turbos on it to make it not a slug?

That appears to be a pretty good price, but still.....yer gonna be sorry.

Yes, you can do a lot to them to make them faster. And once you've spent enough money to wring enough power out of it that it's fun to drive you'll realize you've sunk enough to buy a newer/better car that actually handles well and is just as fast or faster.

So unless you're unreasonably in love with this body style (and I could understand that) you really need to have low expectations and keep them that way (drive it as it is) or just stay away entirely.

Also, "stage 2 clutch" means someone has been beating the piss out of it. You know that, right?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Motronic posted:

That appears to be a pretty good price, but still.....yer gonna be sorry.

Yes, you can do a lot to them to make them faster. And once you've spent enough money to wring enough power out of it that it's fun to drive you'll realize you've sunk enough to buy a newer/better car that actually handles well and is just as fast or faster.

So unless you're unreasonably in love with this body style (and I could understand that) you really need to have low expectations and keep them that way (drive it as it is) or just stay away entirely.

Also, "stage 2 clutch" means someone has been beating the piss out of it. You know that, right?

Sound advice. And yea that's what I also figured "rebuilt motor" meant. Also being a 91 semi-fast car I figured at least 3 generations of high school kids have done terrible boy racer poo poo in it.

In a rare fit of good judgement I'm gonna pass.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DrPain posted:

:confused:

Can I put bigger turbos on it to make it not a slug? Or something?

Do it. Put some DSM turbos on it (if you can even get to them) and call it a day. It's still going to be heavy and have DSM like maintenance and transmission woes.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Here, buy this '69 Country Squire instead.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Ford-Galaxie-500-Six-Door-Station-Wagon-Limo-390-V8-/370839258349

It's affordable.

It's black.

It's got seven doors.

And it's even got rear AC!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Anyone want to finish a 242 project? I love these cars and would buy it today if I had the space. The seats alone are worth the cash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Volvo-242-GT-/121129911692

quote:

This 1978 Volvo 242 GT was my dream car. When i initially got it one year ago it was running and was in good mechanical condition. I decided to try and make it perfect (my mistake!). It needed new paint job since there was a few spots of surface rust. Well, what you see is my car with over $15,000 spent a year later.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sir Tonk posted:

Here, buy this '69 Country Squire instead.

It is also lighter so you got that going for you. That rust has to be worth a 50% weight savings. Coyote swap and you are beating DSMs all day long while running a bus route.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

Anyone want to finish a 242 project? I love these cars and would buy it today if I had the space. The seats alone are worth the cash.
Where did $15,000 go? There is still rust on the car

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nitrox posted:

Lots of booze I guess.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DrPain posted:

Sound advice. And yea that's what I also figured "rebuilt motor" meant. Also being a 91 semi-fast car I figured at least 3 generations of high school kids have done terrible boy racer poo poo in it.

In a rare fit of good judgement I'm gonna pass.

Good call.

If you want something fun and machoist? Buy a Porsche 944 Turbo. At least there still is aftermarket support for it, generally hasn't had 50 million high school kids beat the snot out of it. Plus it is not a giant fat pig.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Good call.

If you want something fun and machoist? Buy a Porsche 944 Turbo. At least there still is aftermarket support for it, generally hasn't had 50 million high school kids beat the snot out of it. Plus it is not a giant fat pig.

If you're feeling extra masochisty just go for the 928. It's also a GT car, sounds fantastic, and has legendarily expensive parts.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Nitrox posted:

Shoulda hired Uncle Skin. He's even in the same state! (I think)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Justy ad.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

DrPain posted:

I would buy the poo poo out of that car at that price.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3873836118.html

I'm going to take a look at this tomorrow, if only because it's here in town and I've got nothing better to do.

I've been looking for something older and cheap to gently caress around with... god knows I enjoy fiddling with my 79 Honda motorcycle, but there's also a time for a car with bench seats that's almost twice my age.

Any thoughts? Keep in mind that this is California, the mere fact that it runs, has an up-to-date registration, and is listed for under $2000 is pretty unusual for loving craigslist.

Seems like the speedo cable should be relatively easy. The heater... well, in California, you don't really need a heater. Installing the headliner would be an adventure, I've never done it but I'm reasonably handy. I'm not interested in returning this thing to perfect condition or some poo poo, I'd just like to have something clean and non-rusty that I can drive around.

Edit: also, when buying a car this old and this cheap, do you even bother trying to get it inspected so long as it runs?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 23, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Getting it inspected might be a cheap way to figure out what's ahead of you - you can get started on your to-do list early and start prioritizing what's a safety issue vs. a performance issue vs. a nice-to-have. Certainly faster than finding out about these things while you're in the middle of another fix.

Seasoned professionals see common themes of problems all the time and might be able to advise on cheap fixes at the same time. Plus if the car has some chronic issue that makes it completely unsuitable you'll know about it before you have to cart a 3000 pound lump of useless rust off your driveway.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Getting it inspected might be a cheap way to figure out what's ahead of you - you can get started on your to-do list early and start prioritizing what's a safety issue vs. a performance issue vs. a nice-to-have.

Seasoned professionals see common themes of problems all the time and might be able to advise on cheap fixes at the same time.

So through the years, I've gone around with my dad as he's bought multiple pickups and cars, he's never had an inspection once. I've bought a used car and a used motorcycle and never had an inspection. Do you just call up a shop and ask if they'll have a look? What should I expect it to run? $100?

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Is this a terrible idea? It's 30 miles from me and I'd hope he'd take my E30 as a trade-in...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-924-2-0-COUPE-1984-B-REG-6-MONTHS-MOT-/200926418188?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2ec825d50c

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FiftyFour posted:

Is this a terrible idea? It's 30 miles from me and I'd hope he'd take my E30 as a trade-in...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-924-2-0-COUPE-1984-B-REG-6-MONTHS-MOT-/200926418188?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2ec825d50c

I don't know what 924s are worth in your part of the world, but they are "meh" at best regardless of price.. I certainly wouldn't trade an E30 for one.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

What site is this? Canadians keep posting ads from it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Kijiji.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FiftyFour posted:

That interior :swoon:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

So through the years, I've gone around with my dad as he's bought multiple pickups and cars, he's never had an inspection once. I've bought a used car and a used motorcycle and never had an inspection. Do you just call up a shop and ask if they'll have a look? What should I expect it to run? $100?

It's called a "Pre-Purchase Inspection" (PPI) and most shops will charge something like a half-hour or maybe an hour of labor to do it (so around here, maybe $60 to $120 depending on the shop). More if they don't really want to do it. Many sellers don't really understand that it's a thing, but many do, so it' can't hurt to ask.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/3889737440.html

ad posted:

Pretty unmolested!
- The hood is really dented on the driver side near the fender, but it closes and locks fine.
- Front chuki/sharknose bumper is ziptied on, missing badge.
- Interior is missing passenger door panel, and part of the back seat.
- Driver side headlight needs a bolt for the motor to push it up, but it lights up and the motor works without the bolt it'll slowly slide down when you drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

It's called a "Pre-Purchase Inspection" (PPI) and most shops will charge something like a half-hour or maybe an hour of labor to do it (so around here, maybe $60 to $120 depending on the shop). More if they don't really want to do it. Many sellers don't really understand that it's a thing, but many do, so it' can't hurt to ask.

Well, my girlfriend just pointed out that I have a car and two motorcycles, and she has a car, and if I get another one it would be pretty drat hard for us to move next year when she goes off for grad school.

The Valiant drove reasonably well, and I was ready to offer the guy $1000 for it, but at this point I don't know that I'd want to pay to ship it somewhere in a year.