Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Spam posted:

I suspect they have no interest in having TNA at all.

TNA is a nice little show that gets them a solid 1.0 rating. Nothing more. If TNA ever showed a return on their investment and got them better ratings, they might have considered backing it more, but TNA has tried everything. They never get higher than a 1.2 at absolute best. And never will, without a namechange and massive management overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Wow, in Canada it was just a heavily edited Raw on Mondays and you had to wait for Tuesday to get a Nitro fix (if there wasn't anything else TSN had lined up. I think CURLING preempted Nitro during the Scotts Tournament one time.)

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

ITV used to show worldwide mid afternoon on a saturday in my region. I never really got really into wrestling until i got cable in 98 and then it was WWE because I used to rent the ppv tapes from blockbuster.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

I Before E posted:

Where I had to stop was when security showed up to separate them, and I assume this is where the segment ended.

It got worse actually...the Harris brothers scoop her up, slam her, than one picks her up by her hair and slams her again.

WWE rehired Russo a few years after this right?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The last page of discussion has made me curious, for those of you who watched wrestling during the Monday Night Wars, what was the most wrestling you'd ever watch in a week?

In 1997 I might end up watching:

2 hours of Nitro
a bit of Raw
2 hours of Saturday Night
1 hour of Pro
1 hour of Worldwide
1 hour of Superstars
1 hour of Shotgun
1 hour of Main Event

for 9+ hours of wrestling in a week.

In 1998 I'd max out at:

3 hours of Nitro
a bit of Raw
2 hours of Thunder
1 hour of Main Event
1 hour of Superstars
1 hour of Shotgun
1 hour of Worldwide
1 hour of Hardcore TV

12+ hours of wrestling in a week. I didn't do that every week, but gently caress...

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

2 hours of Raw
The first hour of Nitro
2 hours of Thunder
2 hours of Smackdown
1 hour of Heat

8 hours because I'd never really watch Saturday Night, Superstars, or any of the smaller shows. But if I liked Raw that week I might have watched the Telemundo replay on Saturday afternoon, even though I never spoke Spanish.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'd watch:
First hour of Nitro and flip/tape between Raw and Nitro afterward (preferred Raw by far).
Thunder/Smackdown (were they head to head?)
WCW Saturday night
Sunday Night Heat
Super Astros (!)
And whatever smaller shows I remembered to tape/flip on.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

Thunder/Smackdown (were they head to head?)

I remember Smackdown on Thursdays and Thunder on Wednesday.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

3 hours of Nitro
2 hours of RAW
1 hour of Shotgun
2 hours of Thunder
2 hours of Smackdown

So 8 hours when Thunder/SD were both on Thursdays.

Jesus Christ thats like a full day of work.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I'm currently watching:
3 Hours of RAW
2 Hours of Smackdown
1 Hour of NXT
1 Hour of Superstars
1 Hour of Main Event
+ Random youtubes

So there's that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The key was that Nitro was immediately replayed on TNT for the west coast, so you could just watch Nitro after RAW if you wanted to do both.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It was difficult for me to watch anything more than Raw during the Attitude Era, because even though I had a TV in my bedroom, I only ever watched WCW occasionally. I think this was because Nitro came on Tuesday afternoons in Canada, from 4-7, so that was a pretty terrible time.

My most watched period was during 2002, where I am pretty sure I watched every single WWE show (save for the clip shows). So, from memory, this would be Raw, Smackdown, Velocity, Heat, and Confidential. I also got "free" satellite, so I would watch every single TNA PPV. If I wasn't able to watch it while it was on, I would just tape it and watch it later. This was also in addition to my tape collection.

Just writing this out right now is making me wonder how I had time for anything other than wrestling, and how I wish I spent that time on something useful.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
From what I remember, I was probably watching 6-7ish hours in a row on a Friday night in the UK. TNT used to air Nitro, followed right away by Thunder and once they wrapped up, the midnight repeat of Raw came on.

Then during the week I watch Shotgun and Superstars, although if memory serves me correct, they were the same show with different announce teams. Sometimes TNT would also randomly shove on an old Thunder or Nitro on a Saturday night too.

So yeah, I was at about 9 hours for a good chunk of 98-2000 before Nitro was sold off when TNT became TCM over here.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Usually I would flip between Raw and Nitro depending on what was more engaging at the moment. By the time Smackdown came out, I'd basically stopped watching Thunder (they were booked head-to-head on Thursdays at first, until Thunder moved back to Wednesdays) because it was barely a step above Saturday Night, so I just watched Smackdown instead. So if you count Raw and Nitro as four hours, that'd be around six hours of wrestling per week.

These days I just watch three hours of Raw, but I also enjoy other federations so that makes up for the rest, I guess.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The late Raw showing was 2am, so it was entirely possible to watch all 7 hours in a row. Then the next day there was livewire, action zone, superstars all in a row on Sky one and then the same footage used for superstars was commentated on with a different team on Sunday lunchtime.

I can't remember what night the first airing of Smackdown was in the UK. Saturday?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

The late Raw showing was 2am, so it was entirely possible to watch all 7 hours in a row. Then the next day there was livewire, action zone, superstars all in a row on Sky one and then the same footage used for superstars was commentated on with a different team on Sunday lunchtime.

I can't remember what night the first airing of Smackdown was in the UK. Saturday?

God yeah, I forgot that I watched that Saturday block too on Sky 1. Was it 2am? Thought it was midnight but it has been a long time but yeah, I think I did that more often that I should've.

Yeah, we got Smackdown I think ~6 months after it began if not more and it was on Sky Sports on Saturdays.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

My wrestling was very limited because my parents didn't approve of it and didn't want me staying up past 9 on weekdays, so my wrestling mostly consisted of a Raw every two weeks, the occasional thunder and WCW Saturday Night. I didn't have TNT (Yay Canadian cable!) so Nitro was this mysterious show people talked about but I never saw until TSN picked it up for a Tuesday night slot.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I remember that my first exposure to nitro was eading the results that they put up on the Cartnoon network text pages. What has always amused me was that they always put the results up on a Tuesday morning, so TNT ended up spoiling the show by the time it aired over here on a Friday.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

I think my first exposure to Nitro was waiting for Raw to come on one night and flipping through the channels and had that "Wait, there's other wrestling?" moment. I think it was some kind of nWo beatdown involving Jim Duggan?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I think I watched close to 17 hours of wrestling during Wrestlemania week between the weekly programming, the RoH PPV, the NJPW iPPV, and Wrestlemania itself.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

I think I watched close to 17 hours of wrestling during Wrestlemania week between the weekly programming, the RoH PPV, the NJPW iPPV, and Wrestlemania itself

Look nerd, we're talking about back in the day when wrestling was cool as poo poo, not today when it's totally uncool!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

oatgan posted:

I think I watched close to 17 hours of wrestling during Wrestlemania week between the weekly programming, the RoH PPV, the NJPW iPPV, and Wrestlemania itself.

Mania week is my Wrestling Week. I just binge out on all wrestling I can get.

I technically still watch everything WWE put out, but watching it online means I can skip a lot of it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Look nerd, we're talking about back in the day when wrestling was cool as poo poo, not today when it's totally uncool!

In that case, zero minutes.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Mania week this year was moving week. I actually pushed back my moving day so I could be at my friends WrestleMania party.

Dear god, my autocorrect actually corrected the capitalization for WrestleMania.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The American Males just beat Harlem Heat for the tag title and the crowd loving loved it. This was in the first match of the third episode of Nitro.

You sort of have to admire WCW for throwing title changes out there like that. Of course they'd gently caress that up later on like everything else but there's still something refreshing about it and in the early days helped cultivate that "anything can happen" attitude.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My weekly wrestling time:

-3 hrs of Raw
-2 hrs of Smackdown
-1 hr of Main Event
-Whatever I decide to not fast forward of Impact
-NXT when I get to it
-misc.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Renaissance Spam posted:

Wow, in Canada it was just a heavily edited Raw on Mondays and you had to wait for Tuesday to get a Nitro fix (if there wasn't anything else TSN had lined up. I think CURLING preempted Nitro during the Scotts Tournament one time.)

Hey, we Canadians used to get WCW Saturday night on... Saturday afternoon as well! I can't remember what channel carried it, but I only had the 5 that our antenna could get us so it was a basic one for sure.

It BLEW MY MIND once they decided to start airing edited down episodes of Nitro instead of Saturday Night in that slot. Finally, I thought, I get to experience where the Big Boys Play!!

Of course this was in 1999 when the show was at it's absolute worst.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Have been binging through this thread lately, great stuff all around, makes me want to go back and reread Death of WCW.

Two questions: What's the story behind Sid Vicious going for the turnbuckle move that hosed his leg so badly? Wasn't it something like creative bullying him into doing it when he had no experience doing top turnbuckle moves? That to me was peak WCW right there, it got no worse than that.

Secondly, is there anyone out there outside of Vince Russo himself who genuinely enjoyed WCW in 99-2000? I started watching wrestling with WCW in late 99, and I enjoyed since I didn't know anything about the WWF at the time. I quickly switched to almost fully watching the WWF at a friend's recommendation, though, and didn't really turn back outside of the first hour of Nitro.

Are there people out there who enjoyed it unironically? And would even today defend it? Or is it universally panned by everyone?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

Secondly, is there anyone out there outside of Vince Russo himself who genuinely enjoyed WCW in 99-2000?
It was more interesting than the rest of 1999 and the brief period of Sullivan booking in 2000. It generally featured new guys being pushed which was very appealing for WCW.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

All this talk of hours spent per week watching is giving me a nostalgia overload. I preferred WWF at the time, but all my friends were WCW fans. I couldn't stay up late enough to watch both on Monday nights, so in order to be able to talk about wrestling with my friends on Tuesday, I taped Raw in the living room and watched Nitro in my bedroom while my mom watched tv in her bedroom. I remember being so worried that my mom would walk out and see the risqué stuff happening on Raw.

Of course, on Tuesday, I pretended to be interested in what my friends had to say about Nitro, but I would secretly rush home and watch my taped Raw ASAP. Tuesdays seemed like they lasted an eternity :negative:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

All this talk of hours spent per week watching is giving me a nostalgia overload. I preferred WWF at the time, but all my friends were WCW fans. I couldn't stay up late enough to watch both on Monday nights, so in order to be able to talk about wrestling with my friends on Tuesday, I taped Raw in the living room and watched Nitro in my bedroom while my mom watched tv in her bedroom. I remember being so worried that my mom would walk out and see the risqué stuff happening on Raw.

Of course, on Tuesday, I pretended to be interested in what my friends had to say about Nitro, but I would secretly rush home and watch my taped Raw ASAP. Tuesdays seemed like they lasted an eternity :negative:

I completely missed the boat on being able to talk to my friends about wrestling. I didn't watch it at all when WCW was popular (like late 98-early 99, although more and more of my friends were talking about the Rock and WWF around that time too). When I started watching WCW late 99, the few friends I had all watched WWF. Then when I finally started watching WWF, all my friends had quit watching completely.

There was something about the summer of 99 with my friends that apparently made every one quit watching completely or switch to WWF only. Or maybe the dropoff was going on throughout 99 and I just never noticed it until I actually made an effort to watch wrestling.

I also remember being legitimately scared Hulk Hogan was actually running for president at one point.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All I can think about when I watch old nitros is how small the ring looks.

Why doesn't Goldberg like Hall?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

crankdatbatman posted:

There was something about the summer of 99 with my friends that apparently made every one quit watching completely or switch to WWF only. Or maybe the dropoff was going on throughout 99 and I just never noticed it until I actually made an effort to watch wrestling.

It wasn't just your friends

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I'd have to cross check at what point everything was running but there was definitely a period where I was watching RAW, Nitro, Thunder, SmackDown, ECW Hardcore TV, and the essentially weekly PPVs between the three companies, plus still getting Japanese and indy tapes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd have to cross check at what point everything was running but there was definitely a period where I was watching RAW, Nitro, Thunder, SmackDown, ECW Hardcore TV, and the essentially weekly PPVs between the three companies, plus still getting Japanese and indy tapes.

By the time Smackdown got going you probably could add ECW on TNN into that mix, but by that point I had cooled off watching Thunder every week and only rarely watched Smackdown.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I was writing reviews of Thunder specifically because of how bad it was by that point. What a tremendously awful television program.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

I was writing reviews of Thunder specifically because of how bad it was by that point. What a tremendously awful television program.

Review WCW Thund... oh, well then.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

It was a rotating column called "Death by Thunder" or something like that. It usually involved alcohol.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

The key was that Nitro was immediately replayed on TNT for the west coast, so you could just watch Nitro after RAW if you wanted to do both.

I did this far too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I watched Raw each week, and sometimes I'd try to watch Nitro but I generally got bored or frustrated or both with it and would stop watching it for a few weeks at a time - whenever I came back it was generally pretty much the same thing happening anyway, Hogan was the Champion and the show would end with an nWo beatdown. So I probably watched maybe 2 hours a week minimum and 4-5 hours at an absolute maximum. Of course when Smackdown came along I always watched that, so that doubled my wrestling watching.