Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

I am enjoying my new job although there is a lot of time sitting around in the hotel, so if I can find a way to make the best of it (work out, play video games) I think I will be really drat happy here. I've got maybe 6 hours in the C206 now, did a bunch of landings and approaches today, it is the most nose heavy airplane I have ever flown but it isn't too tough to land nicely, you just have to flare it until your arms feel like they're going to fall off and they're in terrible pain. Some guys use the electric trim in the flare I guess and put it all the way back but that worries me in case you need to go around that you'd be at risk of trim stalling it unless you push forward really hard. I'd rather just muscle it. As a side note, I really don't like electric trim, but my trainer is forcing me to use it because it's new and I need to be proficient in everything in the airplane, and I guess he thinks the more I use it the more I'll get used to it. I don't like it because I don't know how much it's moving the trim wheel and I feel really "disconnected" from the trim and find it tough to get just the right setting. Grasping the trim wheel is so tangible and you can make such fine corrections. Also, developing a scan for glass is taking a bit of time although my approaches were OK but at times I'd be +-120 ft or so on altitude because I was messing with a checklist or something.

What is your new job exactly? Forgive me if you've mentioned it and I missed it. Are you living in a hotel indefinitely? That's like one of my fantasies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
New job is aerial photography and it's not indefinitely in hotels but I am going to spend a lot of time in hotels. Since we do have some travelers here, can anybody suggest a mobile data plan that's okay for gaming and also has no cap? I hear great things about Verizon, but 5gb/10gb data cap is.. no bueno. What about Clear? I guess it's sprint wimax?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Sprint is pretty good but the coverage is AWFUL. I'd ask over in IYG.

You'll get used to the glass panel and electric trim with time. Once you know the systems it's just a matter of experience. Eventually you'll prefer the electric trim because it eliminates a task from your non yoke hand. I don't know if you're using a six pack replacement EFI or a full on G1000 suite but if it's the latter you'll learn to love all the things the G1000 can do for you. It really is the biggest improvement to GA airplanes in the last 20 years.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
If I had to guess I'd say this is what the glass setup looked like.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Bingo :P

edit: also, where did you come across that picture?

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 17, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, I walked into the radar lab today, and after everything was said and done, I had three (almost completely) clean training evaluation sheets, for problems 12 Delta, Echo, and Foxtrot. The instructors got me on a few minor phraseology errors, mostly regarding giving exact positions rather than just a cardinal direction from a fix during coordination. I also said "Copy all," after taking a manual flight plan, instead of "roger." I'll take that. :colbert:

12 Golf, Hotel, and India await us tomorrow, followed by evals on Wednesday and Thursday. Hotel and India are supposedly designed to be real ball-kickers. We shall see.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

So, I walked into the radar lab today, and after everything was said and done, I had three (almost completely) clean training evaluation sheets, for problems 12 Delta, Echo, and Foxtrot. The instructors got me on a few minor phraseology errors, mostly regarding giving exact positions rather than just a cardinal direction from a fix during coordination. I also said "Copy all," after taking a manual flight plan, instead of "roger." I'll take that. :colbert:

12 Golf, Hotel, and India await us tomorrow, followed by evals on Wednesday and Thursday. Hotel and India are supposedly designed to be real ball-kickers. We shall see.

Boy, I don't understand a word you just said.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

DNova posted:

Boy, I don't understand a word you just said.

I went through ATC Academy 3 years ago and I don't know what he said.

Yenko are you enroute or tower? I know they changed they way the evaluate pretty significantly since I was there. I do remeber the final evals being more stressful then any college exam I ever took by a wide margin.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Liar of the Shire posted:

Yenko are you enroute or tower? I know they changed they way the evaluate pretty significantly since I was there. I do remeber the final evals being more stressful then any college exam I ever took by a wide margin.

Enroute. Its a series of three graded radar problems, now. Each of the graded radar evals are 22% of your grade. The two non-radar evals were each 7% of your grade, and there was a couple of knowledge and map tests scattered in to fill in the remainder. You need a 70% class average to graduate.

Bottom line: I need a 58% average across the three radar evals to pass, or an 89% average across the first two to exempt myself from the third one.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
So are enroute controllers tracon, center, or yes? Will someone passing enroute training end up in Potomac TRACON or NY Center? Also will passing the tower training land you at IAD or in Salisbury, Maryland?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rickety Cricket posted:

So are enroute controllers tracon, center, or yes? Will someone passing enroute training end up in Potomac TRACON or NY Center? Also will passing the tower training land you at IAD or in Salisbury, Maryland?

En Route controllers are Center only.

New hires should no longer be going to places like IAD, but that wasn't the case for the first several years of the new hiring blitz. ATC facilities are rated in complexity from 4(slowest) to 12(busiest) and the agency is supposed to avoid placing new hires any higher than a 9.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

The really complex TRACONs (Chicago, New York, Atlanta) have separate internal qualifying tests, because they have very high wash-out rates.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Initially, new hires were being sent to those too. It didn't end well.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Liar of the Shire posted:

He is going through a recently updated program for en route. Because of this the pass rate went from like 95% all the way to 60%. My wife went through the older pass/fail course which was churning out dumble tards by the bucketful, and when I swapped over from terminal to enroute they had changed the course to what it is now, cumulative score at the end with a MUCH MUCH higher fail rate. A month before my class tested, only 14 out of 32 a month prior got out of there with jobs. My class only had 11 out of the original 18. Good old rubber band effect.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 18, 2013

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Good luck! Try to remember that the evals are just another set of problems. Run them just like you would any of the others.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone have an "in" with XOJET?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

AWSEFT posted:

I don't, but I love those guys.

Other pilots on the frequency make comments about them "showing off" at the altitudes they fly at pretty often.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

AWSEFT posted:

Aren't they furloughing right now? That's never a good sign.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I choked a bit on the first problem, yesterday, and wound up with a 74%, and a 92%, yesterday.

I need an 11% today, to graduate. :black101:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I choked a bit on the first problem, yesterday, and wound up with a 74%, and a 92%, yesterday.

Awesome, you should be pretty good then. I think I needed a 5 or something like that on the last day. Still really nerve wracking even though you have to royally gently caress up to blow that.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

Great job. Sounds like you've got it in the bag, but good luck anyway. Keep your head low for the remainder of your first year and you'll be on your way to a very rewarding, if not sometimes obnoxious, career.

HE4T
Aug 29, 2011

Well finally got my medical after basically spending a couple grand to prove to the FAA that I never had ADD in the first place which I took adderall for as a child. First solo next week. Can't wait to finish up my training and start enjoying it knowing I will be able to finish.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

MrYenko posted:

Guy in my class needed an 11 on the last one and got a -7.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kmcormick9 posted:

It happens, but you have to have one hell of a meltdown.

Did the ZKC people in your class get through? My future breaks depend on it. I'm already tired of this poo poo where we're starting 4 people short. New people aren't going to fix that, but man we need them.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

HE4T posted:

Well finally got my medical after basically spending a couple grand to prove to the FAA that I never had ADD in the first place which I took adderall for as a child. First solo next week. Can't wait to finish up my training and start enjoying it knowing I will be able to finish.

Congrats, had to dance through the same hoops, felt great to get the medical in hand and finish!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Congrats to those of you getting medicals, passing check rides, and even those of you learning how to boss pilots around. My career is in a horribly depressing place at the moment and it's nice to see these reminders that there are still good times to be had in aviation.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Slaughter posted:

I am enjoying my new job although there is a lot of time sitting around in the hotel, so if I can find a way to make the best of it (work out, play video games) I think I will be really drat happy here. I've got maybe 6 hours in the C206 now, did a bunch of landings and approaches today, it is the most nose heavy airplane I have ever flown but it isn't too tough to land nicely, you just have to flare it until your arms feel like they're going to fall off and they're in terrible pain. Some guys use the electric trim in the flare I guess and put it all the way back but that worries me in case you need to go around that you'd be at risk of trim stalling it unless you push forward really hard. I'd rather just muscle it. As a side note, I really don't like electric trim, but my trainer is forcing me to use it because it's new and I need to be proficient in everything in the airplane, and I guess he thinks the more I use it the more I'll get used to it. I don't like it because I don't know how much it's moving the trim wheel and I feel really "disconnected" from the trim and find it tough to get just the right setting. Grasping the trim wheel is so tangible and you can make such fine corrections. Also, developing a scan for glass is taking a bit of time although my approaches were OK but at times I'd be +-120 ft or so on altitude because I was messing with a checklist or something.

6 hours isn't much... once you get more comfortable with electric trim (and more importantly, the rate at which it trims and the muscle memory of when to do it) the convenience will be really nice. Also, I haven't flown a plane with manual trim (aside from the backup 135 stuff) since like, an old PA-28? How obnoxious it must be to turn something every time you change air speeds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

It happens, but you have to have one hell of a meltdown.

Did the ZKC people in your class get through? My future breaks depend on it. I'm already tired of this poo poo where we're starting 4 people short. New people aren't going to fix that, but man we need them.

I made it. Needed an 11, got a 21. Skin of my teeth and all that.

We had four for ZKC, three made it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I made it. Needed an 11, got a 21. Skin of my teeth and all that.

We had four for ZKC, three made it.

Congrats on finishing the academy. Sounds like you probably had the hard problem last?

Remember to lay low once you get to your facility and to always look like you're studying maps or LOA's and stuff along those lines. First impressions are absolutely huge, make the best one you can. Come to work ready and eager to work and you'll be set.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

HE4T posted:

Congrats. poo poo like this is why almost nobody levels with the Feds when it comes to medical issues. From what I've heard about ADD appeals, you got out relatively cheap.

HE4T
Aug 29, 2011

ausgezeichnet posted:

Congrats. poo poo like this is why almost nobody levels with the Feds when it comes to medical issues. From what I've heard about ADD appeals, you got out relatively cheap.

It was intimidating when I realized all the poo poo I'd have to do with no gaurentee of the outcome but lying to the Feds never seemed like a good idea to me even though there are opinions on the subject. I just want to fly as a hobby but the off chance you injure someone or are involved in an accident I can imagine if you dont't die you might wish you had because I'm sure insurance will not cover you after they find out you lied on your medical. Not to mention the lawsuits against you. I'm just glad its over and I can essentially legally prove I never had ADD if it ever comes up in my life again.

Just an FYI for people in a similar situation: The process itself for people diagnosed with ADD is basically you have to go to a Neuro-Psychologist and take just about every IQ, personality, ADD, crazy test known to modern clinical psychology. They put out a list of the tests you will be required to take and it cost between 1500-2000USD which insurance will not cover. I was with the doctor the ENTIRE day taking these tests one right after another. It took a full 8 hours to complete. There are psychologist that the FAA deals with often that have a large portion of their practice dedicated to pilots with depression that are on medication etc. which would probably be best way to go to as they are used to dealing with the FAA and understand what kinds of things they want in their reports. I did all this before I applied for the medical to make sure everything was inorder and found an AME that dealt with speciality medical cases because if you are denied you can't fly period even as a sport pilot. After I applied it took about a month to finally get it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

HE4T posted:

but lying to the Feds seemed like a good idea to me even though I wanted to personally spend Thousands of dollars to prove to a bureaucracy absolutely nothing of consequence.

No but really just lie to the FAA.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I feel so bad for all the kids (so many of them) who are today on ADD meds for no loving reason who will face these hurdles in the future. I hope someday the FAA realizes that their heavy-handed policies encourages people with mental disorders to go without treatment in order to keep their flight privileges. This cannot be the situation the FAA desires.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In case you missed it, a wing walker and her pilot were killed in a crash at the Dayton Air Show:

http://news.yahoo.com/wing-walker-p...A3BtaA--;_ylv=3

Thoughts with everybody involved, including the Air Show, which was expecting to struggle with no Thunderbirds/military attractions. This hits close to home, too. I was at the '07 show when Jim LeRoy crashed & this brings back bad memories. I was fortunate (I guess) to have my back turned when he binned it; I was working at my college/flight school's booth and had my back turned talking to someone when everything got quiet.

It's one of those moments where, even though one of the veteran A&P instructors working the stand said "Another death at the air show...", you have momentary denial and want to say "Bullshit, he didn't crash...oh he did...oh, gently caress, maybe he just landed hard and things will be OK...Christ, there's the smoke.", at which point it sinks in. The suspense as people waited for news and started to pack things up was a sick "Well, now what?" feeling. :(

e- It's also kind of hard to be the mouthpiece for your aviation program with a lump in your throat and sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. Ugh, this sucks.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 23, 2013

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

kmcormick9 posted:

Yeah, I remember talking with an evaluator after our last problem. There is a possibility of losing 400 points on each of those problems.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 24, 2013

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yeah, I remember talking with an evaluator after our last problem. There is a possibility of losing 400 points on each of those problems.

Question 29b. What is your favorite television series?

A: Breaking Bad

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

What are these problems you keep talking about? I gather they are some sort of performance test but I have no idea what they actually entail. Is it sort of like a check ride for a controller where a normal day turns into a royal CF somehow and you have to work your way out of it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

What are these problems you keep talking about? I gather they are some sort of performance test but I have no idea what they actually entail. Is it sort of like a check ride for a controller where a normal day turns into a royal CF somehow and you have to work your way out of it?

They're traffic simulations, run in a radar simulator. The academy has very specific guidelines on procedures, and they evaluate you on your ability to apply those procedures to an actual (busy) sector. Its basically an enormously complicated apptitude test.

The academy airspace itself is a simplified version of a real Memphis center sector, in the Jackson, Mississippi area.

That last radar problem is, in fact, a bit of a clusterfuck. :smith:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
At that point you've only been running radar simulations for a couple weeks. The learning curve is a bit steep, but manageable if you work hard at it. They're mostly set up to represent routine traffic. They're called "problems" like we would call math quiz questions "math problems."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copperblue
May 21, 2003
What is the group's recommendation for an android logbook app? I'm surprised Garmin Pilot doesn't have some way to track this.

• Locked thread