Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean a game I don't have to construct my own spreadsheet to understand unit movements?

This has literally never been a Europa Universalis/Victoria problem*.

You're thinking of Gary Grigsby's War in the East.

uPen posted:

Probably! I'm not joking when I say I make spreadsheets to keep track of poo poo in this game, I've got a whole google docs folder full of them. If you think you can enjoy that you'll probably enjoy the game. I get some kind of sick enjoyment of making my army look pretty during lunch breaks/when I'm on call so I love this game, your mileage may vary.

Ref. also.

*I've seen this accusation before (made by people who haven't played the games), and it's pretty funny, since you actually could fairly complain about the terrible, terrible economic/trading UI in both series. But no, people complain about army movement, one of the simplest and best systems paradox uses. I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

so The Old Gods is literally the only DLC I am missing right now.

Why does food have to cost money dammit.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Huh, nifty thing happened. I'm the Caliph of the Arabian Empire and I decide, since my guy is already titled the Bloody for being found out about the assassination of a Byzantine Emperor, that I might as well go all the way.

So I decide to do a progrom.

...I had a lot more Jews that I thought. -1100 piety, taking me down to -500.

The Pope then announces his first Crusade, one for Jerusalem. I like to think my treatment of the Jews is the reason for the Crusade.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 21, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

uh zip zoom posted:

any other paradox titles worth getting while the getting's good?

CK 2 is my fav. EU3 is definitely engrossing, and I just started learning Vicky 2, and it seems like it is just as fun as either. I guess those are the big 3.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ok so playing as the Petty King of Munster in Ireland I'm gradually getting the hang of stuff but I've got a few questions:

War:
The county underneath me is de jure mine but the guy who owns it is not a vassal, I tried fighting him and pressing my claim but I don't know how to get enough troops to successfully siege his castle after beating his levies, how should I go about doing this?

Marriage:
If I were to marry my character matrilineally to someone what would happen?
If I marry my heir off matrilineally what would happen?
If I had a daughter is there any point to marrying them off non matrilineally?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Ok so playing as the Petty King of Munster in Ireland I'm gradually getting the hang of stuff but I've got a few questions:

War:
The county underneath me is de jure mine but the guy who owns it is not a vassal, I tried fighting him and pressing my claim but I don't know how to get enough troops to successfully siege his castle after beating his levies, how should I go about doing this?

Marriage:

War: Save money and hire mercenaries.

Marriage #3: Alliances!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Geokinesis posted:

War:

Marriage:

In order:

Buy mercenaries. Just make sure you have enough money to pay them until the end of the war or there's a chance they'll join your enemies when you run out.

You'd get an alliance with them and your kids count as being your dynasty, meaning you wouldn't be at risk of losing the game. You'd still have personal control of whatever holdings and titles you already controlled.

Same thing, except replace "you keep control" with "your heir keeps control".

If your heir is a daughter, marry them matrilineally even if you have to marry them to Bob the Hobo and take the prestige hit. If you have non-heir daughters, marry them to the biggest badass (or son of the biggest badass, as appropriate) who'll take them. You get alliances with anyone married to your kids.

--------

Edit: I actually have a question of my own. How do you get kingdom-level titles to duke-level non-feudal vassals? I have a ton of Prince-Archbishops and a few Doges but I can only grant kingdoms to the handful of feudal vassals I have. I know it's possible for them to gain the titles themselves, do I have to grant them all the de jure territory to make the kingdoms then gift them enough money to cover the expenses?

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 22, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Zurai posted:

You'd get an alliance with them and your kids count as being your dynasty, meaning you wouldn't be at risk of losing the game. You'd still have personal control of whatever holdings and titles you already controlled.
So in effect nothing? Or would the children count as the mother's culture or something? Also would the children be in her court?

Zurai posted:

If your heir is a daughter, marry them matrilineally even if you have to marry them to Bob the Hobo and take the prestige hit. If you have non-heir daughters, marry them to the biggest badass (or son of the biggest badass, as appropriate) who'll take them. You get alliances with anyone married to your kids.

I'm pretty sure all my daughters aren't heirs, only my son is. So I should marry them off for armed help.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

War:

If you don't have enough guys, use mercs, upgrade your holdings with troop buildings, use marriages to get an alliance.

Geokinesis posted:

Marriage:

Your children would be of their mother's house (assuming your character is male), not yours. So unless you are incestiously married to someone of the same dynasty you will get a game over when you die. If your character is female then you want to marry matrilineally.

Geokinesis posted:

Same as above but delayed for a generation.

Geokinesis posted:

You will be able to marry higher status people if you marry non-matrilineally. The AI will not usually agree to a matrilineal marriage to a ruler or their heir.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

So in effect nothing? Or would the children count as the mother's culture or something? Also would the children be in her court?

There's no drawback to marrying your own female ruler or heir off to someone matrilineally. I assumed you were talking about playing a female character. NEVER marry your male ruler or heir off matrilineally unless you already have a ton of heirs and are certain you'll die before they all get stabbed, because all the children from the new marriage will be of whoever the mother's dynasty is, and you don't get to play them. If they inherit everything, you lose (unless you have some random relative off somewhere that has land, but you'll have lost everything your previous ruler held).

I apologize for not being clearer, it was bad of me to assume.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Zurai posted:

There's no drawback to marrying your own female ruler off to someone matrilineally. I assumed you were talking about playing a female character. NEVER marry your male ruler off matrilineally unless you already have a ton of heirs and are certain you'll die before they all get stabbed, because all the children from the new marriage will be of whoever the mother's dynasty is, and you don't get to play them. If they inherit everything, you lose (unless you have some random relative off somewhere that has land, but you'll have lost everything your previous ruler held).

marktheando posted:

Your children would be of their mother's house (assuming your character is male), not yours. So unless you are incestiously married to someone of the same dynasty you will get a game over when you die. If your character is female then you want to marry matrilineally.

Thanks!
Yeah I am playing as a guy should have clarified sorry! So definitely a no no in marrying myself of matri-wise as a guy, gotcha.

So what is this talk I've heard about changing the culture of your children?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
This game sometimes :eng99:

Base 8 diplomacy before any modifiers from events/etc.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Enigma89 posted:

This game is loving hard. I thought I would dominate after being an original HOI and Victoria player.

I think trying to play the Game of Thrones mod first was a bad idea. Too hard and too fast. Time to go back to Ireland :negative:

I know this was posted a while ago, but if you want "easy mode" on the game of thrones mod just play at the starting date as a Targaryen. You start off with a dragon and many of the minor kingdoms will bend the knee right after you declare war on them.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Like the poster above, I"m the petty King in Ireland. I'm not sure if I'm doign it right, but I beat down the guy below and the guy to the East. The guy below got uppity and revolted so I beat his rear end again and installed my 8 year old kiddo. But, now I'm craven and stuff because I guess the king runs from battle. Whatever.

I don't know how the pacing is going, I think its about 1080 right now. Am I way behind the power curve?

How do I marry my daughters off to people that are NOT in my court? I only seem to get the people that are in my court or my vassals court. I want to marry her off to like some Arabian warlord or something. How?

Also everyone hates me for revoking titles. I revoked the title of the province to the East because he was being a dick and wouldn't bend the knee. I thought that made him a traitor since I had a du jur claim on the province?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Also everyone hates me for revoking titles. I revoked the title of the province to the East because he was being a dick and wouldn't bend the knee. I thought that made him a traitor since I had a du jur claim on the province?

Ooh this reminds me.

I imprisoned a guy plotting to take my land, what should I do? As I was hoping I could just revoke his title with no fuss as he was plotting but instead it'd make all my vassals -20.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Geokinesis posted:

Ooh this reminds me.

I imprisoned a guy plotting to take my land, what should I do? As I was hoping I could just revoke his title with no fuss as he was plotting but instead it'd make all my vassals -20.

Plotting how? If he is fabricating claims check to see who, if any allies he has. If he has nothing notable don't worry about it. If he is planning to murder you loving crush him and take the hit unless you have a desire to play as your heir.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

YouTuber posted:

Plotting how? If he is fabricating claims check to see who, if any allies he has. If he has nothing notable don't worry about it. If he is planning to murder you loving crush him and take the hit unless you have a desire to play as your heir.

It was fabricating, oh well I guess he can just be my vassal in prison forever. :v:

Is there any circumstance revoke titles without getting a vassal hit?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

Ooh this reminds me.

You only get to revoke titles for free if they actually rebel, or if they are a heretic and your crown authority is high enough.

But there isn't really a right answer to this, it really depends on your circumstances. If you are old and will die soon and your vassals love you then revoke away, -20 isn't that much and it will go away when you are playing as your heir. If you need the cash and don't care that the vassal will hate you, then ransom him. If you want him to like you then release him.

If you are a viking hold a blot and sacrifice him to the old gods. If you are a byzantine you can have his eyes put out or have him castrated.

Or just leave him to rot in prison for years so he isn't a threat.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jastiger posted:

How do I marry my daughters off to people that are NOT in my court? I only seem to get the people that are in my court or my vassals court. I want to marry her off to like some Arabian warlord or something. How?

Click the wedding rings under their picture in their main character sheet, OR find a ruler whose court you want to marry into, go into their diplo screen, and select the appropriate marriage option depending on the age of the daughter you want to marry off.

The first option involves way less micromanagement but you're relying on the AI to find you good matches; it won't show every eligible match, just the ones it thinks you'd be interested in.

Geokinesis posted:

Is there any circumstance revoke titles without getting a vassal hit?

If they actually revolt against you with raised levies and sieging and everything, and you capture them or win the war, you get ONE free revoke on them (if they have 8 duchies, you can only revoke 1 for free).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Oh no, my super general was intercepted by my enemies in his small reinforcing army and thrown into the dungeons of my rebellious duke. I want to ransom him, but his jailer won't accept. Because my general is only a courtier it only asks for 10 gold.

Can I somehow increase how much I offer him to actually secure his release?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 22, 2013

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What decides your ability to use the 'Offer to join war' clause? Sometimes you can and sometimes it greys it out.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

SkySteak posted:

What decides your ability to use the 'Offer to join war' clause? Sometimes you can and sometimes it greys it out.

I know you can't join vassal wars unless they're crusades/jihads, which is pretty frustrating when one of your kin is getting overthrown and you can't do a thing about it.

Tinkle
Sep 26, 2006
As useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat.
Having played HoI2 and playing this for the past year or so I consider myself pretty scrub at this. I was playing Lithuania in ToG and CK2+ and doing my pagan thing, reforming faiths and what not. Although after everything I was reformed and got myself a little kingdom I found myself stuck expanding, not only my demesne but the Romuva religion and my dynasty. No one of the Pagan faiths wanted to marry me or come to my court because of the whole "False Religion" thing. Until I started watching for succession crises noticed Hungary was having one. Well I hit that little "Find titles" button and type in "Kingdom of Hungary" and whats this, the last bastard son of the great king of Hungary with a strong claim to the Hungarian throne is willing to come to my court even though he is Tengri? Awesome! Then its only a matter of breeding a nice future king of Hungary. I also got af Munso dynasty member during a succession crisis and converted him and he did one of those adventurer events and went back to conquer stuff in Finland for the Romuva faith!

TLDR: This game is the tits.

Edit: Although I screwed something up. I was using Elective Monarchy in Lithuania and installed a dynastic member on the throne on Hungary. Then nominated the King of Hungary to be king of Lith and Hungary after death. Well after I got the new king I switched back to the main title of King of Lithuania and now it wants me to choose two succesors, one for Lithuania and one for Hungary. How do I go solving this and simply keeping both kingdoms, switch to primogeniture ?

Tinkle fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 22, 2013

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
drat Aztecs. I finally managed to unite Ireland and Scotland under my rule, I was pushing out in to France (they were in constant civil war, England was still too big for me)... and the Aztecs take over Ireland within the year.

They still show a troop strength of 120k, but their armies are not on the island, and they can't raise that amount from my old territories... so... is it safe to take them on?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

New player here, quick question... Playing as dublin. So i formed the duchy of meath? Its the territory next door. I also have the area where my father died. Now if i want to take over other spots do i just fabricate claims or do i need to do other things?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tinkle posted:

Edit: Although I screwed something up. I was using Elective Monarchy in Lithuania and installed a dynastic member on the throne on Hungary. Then nominated the King of Hungary to be king of Lith and Hungary after death. Well after I got the new king I switched back to the main title of King of Lithuania and now it wants me to choose two succesors, one for Lithuania and one for Hungary. How do I go solving this and simply keeping both kingdoms, switch to primogeniture ?

Nominate the same dude for both titles.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zotix posted:

New player here, quick question... Playing as dublin. So i formed the duchy of meath? Its the territory next door. I also have the area where my father died. Now if i want to take over other spots do i just fabricate claims or do i need to do other things?

Basically to take over any territory you need to have a 'claim' on the title for it. One way to gain a claim on a title is to use your chancellor to forge a claim on it. Other ways include pressing claims members of your court have (usually through their own families). Claims for titles above Count(like duke) are based on how many counties of that dukedom you control.

For your basic Irish start your general plan will be: Forge claim on a county -> Go to war -> Take county. Once you have half of the counties of a dukedom you can then claim the dukedom -> Go to war - Take the Dukedom.
One of the important things to learn as a new player is to get comfortable looking at titles(mainly dukedoms) and what counties are included. The game is all about weaseling your way into control of enough counties to take dukedoms, and then it just expands to duke->king->emperor.

The standard Irish start gives you a LOT of down time while you are waiting for these expansions so don't feel like you are missing something by not changing the time to 5x for a while.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 22, 2013

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

What the gently caress. I just started playing this game and within like a month my dude suffered a head injury leaving him mentally retarded and my wife declared herself regent.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Fellatio del Toro posted:

What the gently caress. I just started playing this game and within like a month my dude suffered a head injury leaving him mentally retarded and my wife declared herself regent.

We need a :xcom: for CK2

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Beans posted:

Basically to take over any territory you need to have a 'claim' on the title for it. One way to gain a claim on a title is to use your chancellor to forge a claim on it. Other ways include pressing claims members of your court have (usually through their own families). Claims for titles above Count(like duke) are based on how many counties of that dukedom you control.

For your basic Irish start your general plan will be: Forge claim on a county -> Go to war -> Take county. Once you have half of the counties of a dukedom you can then claim the dukedom -> Go to war - Take the Dukedom.
One of the important things to learn as a new player is to get comfortable looking at titles(mainly dukedoms) and what counties are included. The game is all about weaseling your way into control of enough counties to take dukedoms, and then it just expands to duke->king->emperor.

The standard Irish start gives you a LOT of down time while you are waiting for these expansions so don't feel like you are missing something by not changing the time to 5x for a while.

Just saw this as I was about to ask. I'm doing the Ireland thing and I see some people have the bottom three provinces as one solid unit. I have all three, with me, my son, and my other son in charge of them. How do I make them all a little "kingdom"? What is the tipping point before I have to be lord of Ireland or whatever? And what do I have to do to get people to accept vassalage for me? I can beat them in combat, but I'd rather not.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Just saw this as I was about to ask. I'm doing the Ireland thing and I see some people have the bottom three provinces as one solid unit. I have all three, with me, my son, and my other son in charge of them. How do I make them all a little "kingdom"? What is the tipping point before I have to be lord of Ireland or whatever? And what do I have to do to get people to accept vassalage for me? I can beat them in combat, but I'd rather not.

For Ireland, war your way to at least half of the island and form the kingdom. Counts that are of your religion and culture will them happily accept vassalage.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Jastiger posted:

So what you are talking about having all of them as one unit is the dukedom of Munster. Most dukes are not independent(they usually serve a king) but Ireland isn't like that.

If you look at the screenshot I circled probably the two most important things new people can learn, when you click a province of land(a county) it will show you the dukedom & kingdom they belong to. This is even if the duke or the kingdom don't exist yet. If you click the shield, then click the de jure button it will show you all land that is part of that title. If you control 50% of that, you can claim and legally go to war over the rest.

The bottom one is always the duke and the top the kingdom. In this case the duchy of muster is Desmond, Ormond, and Thormond. The kingdom is uh all of Ireland I think?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 22, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

If you control 50% of that, you can claim and legally go to war over the rest.

51% actually.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

SeaTard posted:

51% actually.

For reference, this was changed in the Old Gods patch; it was previously 50%, which led to all kinds of silliness.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I also think there's a little confusion with the "Petty King" mechanic.

An independent Duke of the proper culture is called "King" of a "Petty Kingdom". In game terms, you're a Duke, and should consider yourself such. When people refer to Kingdoms, they mean big realms like Ireland, England, etc.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This game is so crazy. I was the first Irish dude and was doing alright. I conquered two counties and was ready to move onto another. (Is there a penalty for just declaring war and TAKING a neighboring county?), well then he got old and died. No problem, my son was ready to go! Until he died in battle. Ok no problem, HIS son was ready to go! Oh wait, nephew declares war since the new son wasn't really ready to roll. I beat him back, and......he goes comatose in battle. Ok, no sweat, HIS son is ready to go as regent oh wait no he died of illness. OK fine, the daughter is ready to go....oh poo poo no legitimate heir.

I literally had all of her male siblings die at a young age so all I have are daughters. Her son will take the throne and won't be from my dynasty. I went from cruising on cloud 9 to a losing proposition. What a roller coaster ride.

Edit: So my uncle (original kings youngest son) usurped the throne from me. How do I get myself back into power? Technically he is part of the dynasty too. It's to the point where the dynasty would go on through him except for the whole Gavelkind thing. How can I get my woman butt back into that seat of power?

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 22, 2013

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Kilonum posted:

so The Old Gods is literally the only DLC I am missing right now.

Why does food have to cost money dammit.

http://m.gamestop.com/Catalog/Product/109653

Old Gods on sale for $7.49 at GameStop.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
So here's a weird thing I noticed at the end of my CK2 session tonight. King Lothaire II (of Lotharingia and Burgundy) had a bastard son, Hugues. Reasonably enough, Lothaire gave his bastard a bishopric, but somehow Hugues managed to get himself three sons: one bastard, two legitimate.

Both of the legitimate sons conquered half of their grandfather's realm; one took Lotharingia, the other Burgundy. That's pretty impressive in itself, honestly! But the peculiar thing is the third son, Lothaire's bastard's bastard.

Apparently bastardry wraps around back into legitimacy?

Royalty is weird.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Jastiger posted:

This game is so crazy. I was the first Irish dude and was doing alright. I conquered two counties and was ready to move onto another. (Is there a penalty for just declaring war and TAKING a neighboring county?), well then he got old and died. No problem, my son was ready to go! Until he died in battle. Ok no problem, HIS son was ready to go! Oh wait, nephew declares war since the new son wasn't really ready to roll. I beat him back, and......he goes comatose in battle. Ok, no sweat, HIS son is ready to go as regent oh wait no he died of illness. OK fine, the daughter is ready to go....oh poo poo no legitimate heir.

I literally had all of her male siblings die at a young age so all I have are daughters. Her son will take the throne and won't be from my dynasty. I went from cruising on cloud 9 to a losing proposition. What a roller coaster ride.

You actually can't "just declare war"; you can only declare war if you have some kind of claim, however tenuous / forged. It adds challenge.

Anyway, if you kill the wrong-dynasty child and divorce/murder your husband, you should be able to salvage the situation. A certain amount of luck is required (which you've been rather short on so far), so... good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have a 100% plot to kill him..how do I make it happen?

• Locked thread