Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Bown posted:

People really hate the "Eatin' Asian pussy, all I need was sweet and sour sauce" line, but I think the whole point is that the idiocy and simplicity of it contrasts with the "Chasin' love, all the bittersweet hours lost" beforehand.

Yeah, the song really isn't trying to make him look good. Right before that line is "Had to stop at 7-Eleven like I needed gas. I'm lying, I needed condoms, don't look through the glass". The Asian pussy line is like the gas excuse, it's him putting up a front to look cool while he's hoping no one looks in and sees the Kanye that's been chasing love instead of sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Eh, I think it's a bad line no matter how you cut it, it's possible to convey that self-awareness in a corny line without it just being awful.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

buttcoin smuggler posted:

It's not a mistake at all. "300 like the Romans" means CCC, like the Roman numerals: cool, calm, and collected. He keeps it cool, calm, and collected.
That sounds implausible, but it would be a neat reference if true! Do you have any other examples of this sort of usage?

I think to the extent that "300 like the Romans" is not a stupid mistake it's either a straight-out joke or else a sarcastic reminder that we shouldn't seek our truth in mass media. (Like the reference to Hitler dying in a theater.) It's interesting how a lot of the "big" lines on the album are jokes. (Some obvious other examples are "Hurry up with my drat croissants!" and the (crude) humor of "all I need is sweet-and-sour sauce".) I've always liked Kanye's humor, but if he's still joking around so much is it fair to call this album "raw"?

In the end, raw or not, I'm loving most of this album. But it has weird stumbles. I totally get not being able to accept lines like "300 like the Romans".

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Maybe someone can help me out, I've been trying to find out where they speak Swaghili. I thought maybe it was one of the smaller African nations since the themes of racism and whatnot on the album, but there was no wikipedia entry for it. Is ita computer language (I'm not a programmer, so I don't know many of the newer ones)? It seems odd Kanye would've learned such an obscure language rather than French, or Japanese, or Spanish, or something like that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Maybe someone can help me out, I've been trying to find out where they speak Swaghili

The Costra Nostra speak it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I finally got around to listening through all of Cruel Summer and I'm with y'all on this one. It's alright, but it doesn't really have enough to keep me coming back for multiple listens. It sure as hell isn't a Kanye album in quality.

I really dig the beat on To The World, but the lyrics were just whatever. Clique and Mercy, those are like some good rear end bread that you've had for a while and you ate almost the entire loaf but you find some pieces leftover and you get excited about them but they're kinda stale. New God Flow is neat, I hadn't heard that one before. I think Cold is my second favorite on the whole album. Hadn't heard that one yet either despite it being one of the singles I think, and it felt real fresh. And Don't Like....fuuuuck, that one's hot. That's gotta be my favorite. The rest, I could do without ever hearing again. I didn't dislike them but they were just kinda there and not much else.

Don't Like is the only one that could go neck and neck with some of the tracks on Yeezus.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

Maybe someone can help me out, I've been trying to find out where they speak Swaghili. I thought maybe it was one of the smaller African nations since the themes of racism and whatnot on the album, but there was no wikipedia entry for it. Is ita computer language (I'm not a programmer, so I don't know many of the newer ones)? It seems odd Kanye would've learned such an obscure language rather than French, or Japanese, or Spanish, or something like that.

swag + Swahili

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Bown posted:

swag + Swahili

*whoosh*

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

bows1 posted:

*whoosh*

I'm looking around online for a definition for whoosh. Not getting it. I tried wikipedia??

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I don't care what roundabout explanation people come up with to justify "keep it 300, like the Romans" - much like sweet n sour sauce, it is a lovely line any way you slice it. I am choosing the Occam's razor approach: it is referencing the movie and contains a frustrating historical inaccuracy.

Anyway, I'm less mad about "Swaghili" and more mad that "that's that Cosa Nostra" literally translates to "that's that our thing"

:goonsay:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

echronorian posted:

I'm looking around online for a definition for whoosh. Not getting it. I tried wikipedia??
*whoosh*

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
How do we know the romans didn't actually keep it Kanye?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
The only thing that possibly saves that line is that, by itself, "I keep it 300" doesn't really make any sense at all.

That said, I still tend to think it's an incorrect movie reference and not a really contrived roman numeral reference.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The only thing that possibly saves that line is that, by itself, "I keep it 300" doesn't really make any sense at all.

That said, I still tend to think it's an incorrect movie reference and not a really contrived roman numeral reference.

its 3hunna, not 300. III is the gates of the bd

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Wait why doesn't the 300 line make sense?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Cause the 300 spartans were greek not roman. The number 300 has no significance in Roman history...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

Wait why doesn't the 300 line make sense?

The movie 300 is what he was referring to, which was about 300 Spartans. The Spartans were Greek, not Roman.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Spartans ain't Roman

ComeWalkWithMe
Jun 18, 2013
From what I could find on the internet... "300 BC: A plebeian rises to priesthood for the first time."

http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/romans.html

I guess it fits with the theme of Yeezus.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Can't we just say that Kanye goofed up trying to make a joke about going 3hunna and b*tches and trojans and romans instead of trying to make excuses for him?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

He probably just kept it in even after he realized it was wrong because it sounds good

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

buttcoin smuggler posted:

It's not a mistake at all. "300 like the Romans" means CCC, like the Roman numerals: cool, calm, and collected. He keeps it cool, calm, and collected.

Uhh, no. That explanation first popped up as a youtube comment by some random dude, was then picked up by the KTT forums, then plastered all over Rapgenius for no reason whatsoever because gently caress it. CCC standing for Cool, Calm and Collected comes out of almost nowhere other than a clothing company and a worthless Urban Dictionary entry with 4 "upvotes." Nevermind the fact that Kanye is clearly not cool/calm/collected on this album, or on this song.

In all likelihood, the line is just Kanye doing his idiot-savant thing once again, with the idiot part dominating this time around.

As for "keeping it 300", other than the obvious movie/graphic novel reference, all I can think of is "keeping it 100", meaning keeping it real. By making it 300, Kanye is keeping it REALLY REALLY REAL, you guys.

EDIT: or did he mean 300 like the romans, as in a roman orgy? Ties into the next "300 bitches" line. Eh.

Hip Gelatinous Cube fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 22, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Nah. Kanye's lines aren't that intricate yall. He goofed on a lame movie reference.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011
Does anyone really listen to Mr. West's music for his wordplay? I accepted the fact that he's a bad rapper a long time ago and purely listen for the music now. I enjoy it by leaps and bounds over when I used to care what he was saying in his songs.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
He probably did it for the same reason he said klondike/blonde dyke. It doesn't really make sense, but it sounds good. No one knows what it means, but it's provocative.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

atrus50 posted:

its 3hunna, not 300. III is the gates of the bd

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

somnolence posted:

Does anyone really listen to Mr. West's music for his wordplay? I accepted the fact that he's a bad rapper a long time ago and purely listen for the music now. I enjoy it by leaps and bounds over when I used to care what he was saying in his songs.

Just because he's not Chino XL and dropping (good) punchlines doesn't mean he's bad.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Uhh, no. That explanation first popped up as a youtube comment by some random dude, was then picked up by the KTT forums, then plastered all over Rapgenius for no reason whatsoever because gently caress it. CCC standing for Cool, Calm and Collected comes out of almost nowhere other than a clothing company and a worthless Urban Dictionary entry with 4 "upvotes." Nevermind the fact that Kanye is clearly not cool/calm/collected on this album, or on this song.

In all likelihood, the line is just Kanye doing his idiot-savant thing once again, with the idiot part dominating this time around.

As for "keeping it 300", other than the obvious movie/graphic novel reference, all I can think of is "keeping it 100", meaning keeping it real. By making it 300, Kanye is keeping it REALLY REALLY REAL, you guys.

EDIT: or did he mean 300 like the romans, as in a roman orgy? Ties into the next "300 bitches" line. Eh.

Nah, I'm pretty sure Kanye's lyrics are just fake posts that inspire real posts that inspire fake posts that inspire further real posts like this. Are there stairs in his Murcielago, and such. It's a vicious cycle.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It's amazing how on point 'On Sight' is as an opener to this album. The scrambled, jarring noise leading Kanye to dismiss our expectations for the album (Yeezy season approaching/gently caress whatever ya'll been hearing) instantly makes the listener drop any assumptions of what to expect. It's accentuated by the jarring choral sample (He gives us what we need/It may not be what we want).

It's pretty brilliant if you ask me.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the lyrical aspects of the album aren't fantastic, but the album as a whole is. Hold My Liquor has quickly become my favorite song, but Guilt Trip, New Slaves, Black Skinhead, Send It Up and On Sight aren't far behind.

Bound 2 has the potential to be simultaneously the best and worst song on the album. There are parts of it that are pure bliss, but it sounds like too much of a regression in sound compared to the rest of the album.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Wezlar posted:

He probably just kept it in even after he realized it was wrong because it sounds good

Run-DMC posted:

There's three of us but we're not The Beatles...

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

Scorched Spitz posted:

Just because he's not Chino XL and dropping (good) punchlines doesn't mean he's bad.

Personally I just don't like his flow and how over the top and corny his lyrics are. I'd say he's about average or a little bit below average as far as his skills on the mic. On the other hand, he's a good producer and is backed by similarly good producers. I can't think of a Kanye song released in the past few years that I haven't enjoyed the production on.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Dead Snoopy posted:

There's three of us but we're not The Beatles...
That was accurate at the time.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

John Lennon was dead at the time :ssh:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I think Yeezy has some pretty goddamn impressive lyrics, but maybe I'm just an amateur rap listentoer.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
I've always thought Kanye is a pretty great story-teller. He's not a great technical rapper by any means, but as others have said, he's just really good at making things sound larger than life.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Homecoming, Spaceship, Drive Slow and Touch The Sky all have phenomenal verses by Kanye. To pull from his more recent albums, his rhythm on Devil in a New Dress is impeccable and his verses on Gorgeous and Lost in the World floor me every time. He's got that new God flow and if his rhymes are ever less than perfect his rhythm makes up for it. Except on Lift Off.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Rock Forever21 but just turn thir-tay.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
He built his empire on vapid, empty catchphrases. Don't get why so many of you are getting bent out of shape on the Romans, sweet & sour sauce, and croissant lines. Look at you, checking everything like you're on patrol...theres some thing's you don't need to know. You'll never let it go but you will never stop him now. You need to drop it now.

Cuz I don't want no RoboCop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
He's just a chi-town nigga with a nice flow. Bismillah, no

• Locked thread