Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

epalm posted:

I've seen a couple drz400S bikes on kijiji and craigslist "converted to SM". So that means street tires, and mirrors, and...what else is different between the S and SM? I plan to ride exclusively on the street, is a converted drz400S to SM all good in the hood?

The S is already street legal, so converting to the SM pretty much means you can assume that they put on street tires, but that's pretty much all you can assume. The factory SM has upside down forks, better brakes, and of course the wheels. A S to SM conversion usually involves a trailtech unit, spacers for the brake calipers, and stiffening up the suspension in addition to adding the 17" wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

epalm posted:

I've seen a couple drz400S bikes on kijiji and craigslist "converted to SM". So that means street tires, and mirrors, and...what else is different between the S and SM? I plan to ride exclusively on the street, is a converted drz400S to SM all good in the hood?

Most of the S to SM conversions I saw had different plastics (mainly the shorter front fender) and 17 in wheels. The actual SM comes with inverted forks and the bigger rotor, which are the real performance differences between the two models. Depending on how hard you ride it, the suspension probably isn't a big deal, but you shouldn't pay as much for one without it.

The Suzuki site has a good breakdown of the differences

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

epalm posted:

the S has conventional forks the SM has USD, they have different swingarms too afaik and ever so slightly different geometry on the front.
Its not really a big deal wether its an SM or a converted S.
The best option you could get is a plated, converted pre-06 E, you get higher compression, better flowing exhaust header, more aggressive cam profiles and the better keihin carb.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There's also different offset with the sumo forks - they handle the smaller front rim better. I thought the S model stuff doesn't handle quite as nicely as the SM stuff with 17s on there, but that's a matter of personal taste.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I read an article about ducati monsters and now have an irrational desire to add one to the garage next to my tuono which I haven't properly ridden in a couple of months.

Makes no sense, yet I've been on craigslist all afternoon.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

GanjamonII posted:

I read an article about ducati monsters and now have an irrational desire to add one to the garage next to my tuono which I haven't properly ridden in a couple of months.

Makes no sense, yet I've been on craigslist all afternoon.

I wanted one until I rode one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Harley sends me emails every now and then, yesterday I find this in my inbox.

I have no idea what this is, but apparently all riders are "united by independents." Also the URL clearly states it is a 'vanity worldride'

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

I have no idea what this is, but apparently all riders are "united by independents." Also the URL clearly states it is a 'vanity worldride'

I will not be riding those days because I don't want to be associated with you people.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Every year they try to do some combined ride where everyone submits how many miles they rode that day. It used to be called "Million Mile Monday", and they aimed for some large number.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Overshadowed by Trailerin' Tuesdays

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Deeters posted:

Every year they try to do some combined ride where everyone submits how many miles they rode that day. It used to be called "Million Mile Monday", and they aimed for some large number.
So their aim is to get something like 50,000 riders, given that the average Harley gets ridden about 20 miles per year?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just measured zero compression on my #4. :( Might have a burned a valve last summer, might be the rings. Either way, bike trip next weekend is cancelled. Oh well, at least I can drink more now.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm not an Independent. Does that mean I can't ride?

E: I get to be the motorcycle idiot today:
Got my new chain in the mail and cleaned up everything before getting ready to install it. The orange pumice worked pretty good, but a complete clean will take more time than I was able to spend yesterday. Rolled on the new chain, cut out a couple links, and installed the master link before I realized it didn't fit properly. I bought the wrong size chain. Stock is 530. I bought a 525. :downs:
But wait, there's more! I ran down to a local shop and bought a new 530 master link to reinstall the old chain (I'm not going to spend $140 +tax for a new chain when I can get it for half the price online). I wasn't paying attention to the style and ended up with a clip. Whatever, no worries. Got home and installed it. That's when I realized that I installed the clip backwards :saddowns: Now I get to go back to the shop and get another master link (good thing they're only like $5). I'll make sure to get a rivet style this time.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 22, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Can you tension the belt less to prevent it from loading the belt so hard or is it just one of those things?

I'd have to mod the idler or get a spring loaded one if I wanted to futz with it. Generally with the Ulysses, the belts go when they go. You can't predict it. Some folks get less than 16k on a stock Goodyear belt, some folks' never break - this is why I didn't bother replacing the one I had before I went, was comfortable with the gamble and my back-up plan.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

The wife and I did back to back 9 hour days in Texas in 104f and 105f heat. It was absolutely brutal.

We did the same thing, and also through Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. I began to dread wind from the left because it blew all the engine/pipe heat onto my right leg.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 23, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

Just measured zero compression on my #4. :( Might have a burned a valve last summer, might be the rings. Either way, bike trip next weekend is cancelled. Oh well, at least I can drink more now.

Aw, that sucks. So what's the plan now? Turbo Busa?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Aw, that sucks. So what's the plan now? Turbo Busa?

I could possibly do an overhaul, I still haven't decided. The three other cylinders all have good compression, I suppose #4's problem could be a burnt valve after I rode it with a leaking exhaust in the summer. But it has had a good run. Most of these bikes just sit neglected in a garage, this one has been to Italy, Spain and France. So right now I think it's most likely that it will go to "live on a farm". While on the phone, I said that out loud so the bike could hear it, in return I got a well deserved blood blister.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Compression test results.

Cylinder #1:

Cylinder #4:

:(

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Perhaps the greatest CL ad ever.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ola posted:

On the bright side, rings are stupid easy on those bikes. And you can do it with the engine in the frame. If a valve is burned, I'd be more apt to source another head.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Pope Mobile posted:

Motorcycle.com released their Bolt vs 883 Iron comparison:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-harley-davidson-883-iron-2014-star-bolt-comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INnA7UXwcLs

It's interesting how one of them preferred the Bolt because it's better in every factor outside of looks and "attention to detail" (I'll fully admit that the Iron looks better because it looks "tighter") while the other guy goes with the Iron simply because "Harley".
I think it's actually a pretty accurate representation of what it's going to look like when people go shopping for their next bike: You've got your brand loyalists who don't give a poo poo about anything other than Their Brand. It's the same way for people who hate a specific brand: I've got a friend who hates Hondas simply because they're Hondas (Hey man how you doing? Mumble tonight? When you going to Portland?) Outside of the Branders, you get people who look at the specs, test the bikes, and don't let brand sway them. Some people will go for the bike that they think looks and sounds better while others go with the one they thought performed better. I mean, you could say this about shopping for anything, but I find it interesting that it's how this comparison played out. I wish they did it with more people, though.

There's also the whole "blatantly ripping off HD" thing. Japanese brands have been doing this forever (as they mentioned in the article). I don't think anyone was under any illusion they weren't. That being said, this is the most blatant instance. Yamaha is going directly for HD's market share and are doing it by offering a bike that rips off the competition almost 100% and has better performance. I think it's a smart move compared to the alternative of trying to offer the same type of bike with different styling. HD has been doing something that works, so Yamaha is copying it.

Hopefully Yamaha is successful with this that they can eventually add in some visual changes (while still offering the standard style). I hope they convince a good enough number of people that HD isn't the only option, and it eventually leads to a larger variety. There hasn't been a lot of (good) variety in the cruiser market lately that I can think of. Everyone's too busy with adventure bikes.

I guess this guy didn't like it:
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/3890722736.html :rolleyes:

I'm excited about it as I enjoy the blacked out look. If a HD xr1200x ever comes up for sale here and isn't horrifically priced (won't happen, alaska loves it's big baggers, plus price-gouging) I'd probably jump on it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nerobro posted:

On the bright side, rings are stupid easy on those bikes. And you can do it with the engine in the frame. If a valve is burned, I'd be more apt to source another head.

Why is that? Because a broken valve damages its seat?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Ola posted:

Why is that? Because a broken valve damages its seat?

That and/or having to cut a seat for a new valve involves tools most don't keep at hand.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So my friend and I set up some plastic beer cups for my girlfriend in an empty mall parking lot so she could practice some safety drills and this motorcycle cop sees us and heads our way. Ends up chatting about bikes and motorcycle competitions with us for thirty minutes and is happy to see us building good habits and lets each of us sit on his bike and see how heavy the 800-pound BMW r1200, fully loaded, actually is-- that is to say, extremely loving heavy. Then he says, "Can you put the cups close together?"

My friend puts the cups close together, like so:

And the officer, without using his loving brakes, because in his training school you fail if you use any brakes does this:

I really wanted to take a video but I didn't wanna offend. It was like twenty times that of the skills you see in those motorcycle competition videos online and really similar to the ones you see from Japan, just in a cone pattern like that and he was loving hauling. How long has he been riding? Three years. It made me realize I have a long way to go with my own skills.

Oh yeah then he's all like "later guys" and hauls it out of the parking lot, never to be seen again.

Godspeed, you apparition.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

That's awesome. Where are you guys doing this practice? Did you move to northern mexico already?

Try this pattern if you have more space:

You can also cut it down to half-size.

GP8 is also great, and a fair bit simpler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPNxgRULJiA

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 24, 2013

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wonder what the reasoning behind the no brakes policy is; Japanese riders use their brakes in gymkhana stuff all the time.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Better throttle knowledge and control?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

MotoMind posted:

That's awesome. Where are you guys doing this practice? Did you move to northern mexico already?

Westfield Plaza parking lot in Carlsbad, CA, and yes, and it's the terrible land of squids and bros-- nothing but sport bikes, muscle tees, and trucks as high as the sky. I told Z3n already but I saw a bro in an SUV that said "DEATH SQUAD" across both sides and the SS logo dressed across the hood. Stay classy, San Diego!

Angryboot posted:

Wonder what the reasoning behind the no brakes policy is; Japanese riders use their brakes in gymkhana stuff all the time.

For their training course they're not allowed to use brakes to build proper judgment of speed for planning purposes on entry and exits of maneuvers. It was extremely impressive watching him rely on engine braking alone while not stalling the bike nor experiencing any wobble in inched increments in between crazy swoops. I am serious when I say I've never seen anything like it before. It was absolutely mesmerizing.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, wonder if I can goof off in the Arcadia Westfield lot without getting booted. Been doing drills only on Saturday nights in a business complex for like 30 minutes at a time.

Was doing GP8 2 weekends ago but my wrists get getting jammed right into the tank :( Guess I'm gonna have to accept my limitations until I get some risers or something.

E: Left turns are fine, but man those drat right turns; can't turn the throttle with my wrist right up against the tank at all.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Managed to chew up all of my front brake pads and warped the rotor on my trip this month. Ended up biasing toward engine braking and rear brake on the last day into home... ordered two new dusty organic sets of pads off Amazon for $9.99/ea, so cheap. Also ordered a hot new lighter 5mm ZTL rotor off ebracing.com - this was like $100 less than the OEM unit from American Sport Bike.

Not sure whether to get American Sport Bike's stock rotor mounting kit for $72 or Erik Buell's upgraded (somehow) kit for $45...

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine

Xovaan posted:

I really wanted to take a video but I didn't wanna offend. It was like twenty times that of the skills you see in those motorcycle competition videos online and really similar to the ones you see from Japan, just in a cone pattern like that and he was loving hauling. How long has he been riding? Three years. It made me realize I have a long way to go with my own skills.

Oh yeah then he's all like "later guys" and hauls it out of the parking lot, never to be seen again.

Godspeed, you apparition.

Police motor unit rodeos! There's a bunch of videos on youtube. I want to handle my bike like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBngfmXsihc

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bruiser posted:

Police motor unit rodeos! There's a bunch of videos on youtube. I want to handle my bike like that.

If you go to 1:55, it was that, but the cones were half that distance apart and he was going faster. It's pretty much the coolest thing ever and made me realize my bike will always out-ride me always. :black101:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Man that is a LOT of cones.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Wanna try out that bouncy castle.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Managed to chew up all of my front brake pads and warped the rotor on my trip this month. Ended up biasing toward engine braking and rear brake on the last day into home... ordered two new dusty organic sets of pads off Amazon for $9.99/ea, so cheap. Also ordered a hot new lighter 5mm ZTL rotor off ebracing.com - this was like $100 less than the OEM unit from American Sport Bike.

Not sure whether to get American Sport Bike's stock rotor mounting kit for $72 or Erik Buell's upgraded (somehow) kit for $45...

Looking forward to hearing how you like the new disc, I picked one up the other week during my stay in the states as it's so cheap, but my original disc's still got some life left in it. Got the EBR mounting bolts too.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Xovaan posted:

If you go to 1:55, it was that, but the cones were half that distance apart and he was going faster. It's pretty much the coolest thing ever and made me realize my bike will always out-ride me always. :black101:

I was reading some of the Lee Parks stuff where it talks about falling into turns, and specifically about determining the degree of lean to make the turn, and falling right to it, instead of gradually tilting in. It's specifically emphasized at letting you take a much later apex, and letting you straighten out and get back on the throttle faster. If you look at the policebike gymkhana stuff, that seems to be what they seem to be doing, only with speed and distance at the smallest viable scale.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bruiser posted:

I don't have sound at work- is he riding the floorboards at all? This is just insane.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's plenty of scraping yes.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/14/banff-motorcyclist-pursued-by-massive-grey-wolf-along-stretch-of-b-c-highway-takes-pictures/

So apparently a guy was riding in the mountains, and a goddamn wolf started chasing his bike. He did what any of us would have done: ride the bike with one hand and take pictures with the other.

quote:

Last Saturday, Banff mechanic Tim Bartlett was christening a new motorcycle through the Rocky Mountains when he had a rare wildlife encounter that was equal parts terrifying and enchanting. On a stretch of British Columbia’s Highway 93, a massive grey wolf emerged from the trees, lunged at his speeding ride and chased after him at full speed as he pulled away.

The story would have become little more than another legend clanging around the roadhouses of Western Canada if Mr. Bartlett had not whipped a camera out of his top pocket to record the event for posterity; capturing a series of rare snapshots that have since been beamed around the world. The Post’s Tristin Hopper reached him by phone on Friday morning.

> How did this happen?
I was about 320 [kilometers] into a 400 k trip … and was doing about 90km/h in the right hand lane going north and [the wolf] came from the left hand side of the road. It darted out, crossed the other lane and I had to swerve and accelerate to get around it. I went forward about 100 meters and when I turned around it was just standing in the middle of the lane watching me.

> How close did it get to you?
It was coming at me. It probably got to within a couple meters, easy, maybe a meter. If I’d have slowed down I would have definitely hit it, so I just opened it up, got a bit of power and got around it. I’ve had dogs run out at me on bikes before and you sort of get a feel for the distance the speed you’re going, but it was pretty tight.

> But after you’d gotten some distance between you, that’s when you pulled around for a closer look?
I stopped the bike, pulled my gloves off, took my camera out, did a u-turn and came back, and that’s when I managed to get the pictures. When [the wolf] heard me coming, it jumped back over a [roadside] barrier and it started running. I sped up a little bit, it got in nice and close and I was driving with my right hand and clicking pictures with my left. When I first came back around, it came in really close; probably a bit too close. It would have been a real bad time to run out of gas. Even over the motor, I could hear it. I could hear its feet on the road.

> Do you think this wolf was playing with you, or were you being hunted?
To me, it was more exciting than scary, I’ll put it to you that way. In my gut, I didn’t feel threatened at all. I would have felt threatened if I was walking or on a bicycle, but I knew I could outrun it. It also didn’t have a real aggressive feel. I don’t think it was after me, it was probably after the bike. That’s just the way I felt; I could have been wrong, I’m no wolf expert.

> How fast was it going?
I didn’t look at the speedo, but I’d say somewhere between 30 to 40 km/h.

And the wolf’s size?
It was bigger than the biggest dog I’ve ever seen. Long legs and a big head, a massive head; it was almost out of proportion. It was big enough.

> The chase kept up for about a kilometer. How did it end?
As you can see in one of the last photos, a few cars had started coming and going so I thought, I better not be here, so I accelerated away. I didn’t want it jumping out into the path of an oncoming car. The last I saw it was running into the trees.

> This is highly-unusual behaviour, of course. The vast majority of wolves would never show themselves to a human much less chase after them at full speed. Have you been approached by any wolf experts?
That was actually one of the first calls I made. One of my very good friends works for Parks Canada … and he put me on to the guy I should talk to and he was under the same impression as me: This is not really normal behaviour.

> Banff, of course, swells with thousands of European and Asian tourists each summer who would kill for this type of mystical “close encounter” with Canadian wildlife. Were you hit with any kind of “nature high” after the experience?
I’ve still got it. I’m having a hard time getting down to the ground, actually, and it was almost a week ago. You just feel so privileged. I mean, this is why I live in Banff. This happens and you just think “this is something totally off the charts.” It’s way more than I’d even hope to imagine. Just seeing a wolf is one thing, to have it run beside you and chase you is another thing altogether.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

People with vehicular hobbies: what have you done in the past when moving cross-country? Last time I moved, I had a car and an old motorcycle, which got strapped into the mover's truck. Next fall, I may be moving somewhere out of state when my girlfriend starts grad school. At that time I'll most likely have my car and two bikes, and she'll have her car. I'd also like to get an old beater car (looked at a 69 Plymouth yesterday) to gently caress around with, but goddamn I'm imagining a hellish move with 3 cars and 2 bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

People with vehicular hobbies: what have you done in the past when moving cross-country? Last time I moved, I had a car and an old motorcycle, which got strapped into the mover's truck. Next fall, I may be moving somewhere out of state when my girlfriend starts grad school. At that time I'll most likely have my car and two bikes, and she'll have her car. I'd also like to get an old beater car (looked at a 69 Plymouth yesterday) to gently caress around with, but goddamn I'm imagining a hellish move with 3 cars and 2 bikes.

You're imagining correct. Rent a toy hauler and a car carrier?