Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

PleasingFungus posted:

I can't tell you many times I've died a suspicious death and immediately gotten the triumphant message, "Your plot to murder your father has succeeded!"

Probably my favorite time is when my six-year-old son did this. Children can't actually plot murders in CK2, but the AI apparently doesn't care!

I really want to see a 6 year old convince a bunch of adults to help kill his dad with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

I can't tell you many times I've died a suspicious death and immediately gotten the triumphant message, "Your plot to murder your father has succeeded!"

Probably my favorite time is when my six-year-old son did this. Children can't actually plot murders in CK2, but the AI apparently doesn't care!

Did you make that emote? :allears:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Waiting for a brief moment of peace in my realm so I can finally switch over to Elective...

I've been waiting for about 10 years now.

Just stop killing each other, guys. Please?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Has anybody had an unlanded family member press their claim by force on you in CK2+? I have received warnings that people are going to, but they don't seem to actually do it. Edit: Ok this happens perfectly fine! And I sometimes get alerts that people in my realm intend to press a claim by force, and they briefly become the owners of a "host", then turn back into regular unlanded folk instantly.

Also: I think in vanilla, the frankish kingdoms are hardcoded to be more likely to have factions desiring Elective Monarchy. This seems to make it more likely that the HRE will develop as it did historically.

Do any of the factions in CK2+ want elective monarchy?

Edit: Another CK2+ question - How long does it take for an Empire to dissolve if it falls below 150 holdings?

Noreaus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 22, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I ended up losing after getting down to the last female heir of Munster. I ended up winning back the crown, but died before I could murder my husband and get my lineage going again. I tried to take over another province but they had WAY more troops than my three counties together! WTF!? I hired mercenaries and SO DID THEY and I lost horribly. A few questions.

I levied up some troops from a county, a small amount compared to my main force. However the AI immediately invaded and killed them before I could join them up against the AI in the AI's own county. What makes their troops move so much faster than mine, and how can I do it to them? I ended up cleaning up with my main force, but its a bit silly that they just stood there to fight them at crazy bad odds.

How do I get more troops total? I can't build anymore since gold in this game is ridiculously slow. That one lady had like 2300 troops, and I could only muster between all three counties about 1800. How do I maximize my troop levels?

Speaking of gold, how do I generate gold faster?

Does it matter who I have lead troops or is it like a trivial bonus depending on the leader?

Lastly, what do you do when you've murdered all the opposing troops but can't siege the holdings? Just wait?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jastiger posted:

Speaking of gold, how do I generate gold faster?

Taxes. Raise taxes on burghers and temples. Don't go too crazy raising taxes on feudal vassals, unless you're a small kingdom with few small vassals. Increasing the number of vassals increases the amount you get from taxes on them, so try to hold counties with many holdings as your desmesne. Plop your spymaster somewhere and set them to "Build Spy Network"-- there's a random event that the spymaster will discover a noble is a homosexual and the noble will pay 50 gold to keep you silent about his reputation. Plop your steward in the richest province in your desmesne.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
There are a lot of reasons they could have had more troops than you: If a holding is held by a vassal instead of you, their opinion of you determine how many troops you'll get (there is a minimum, of course). If those territories were recently conquered they might also be suffering a huge penalty to both levies and income. It's also possible that the person you attacked had allies join in the war (for some reason the default message config has allies joining wars as a minor messages), or they could simply have hired more mercenaries.

Army speed can be modified by generals and unit type, though you have to consider that travel time between different provinces is not the same for all of them (eg It might take 5 days to get from Kildare to Dublin, but 6 to get from Kildare to Ossory, and there are of course way larger differences)

For troops, you might want to try increasing the relationships with your vassals or raising the levy laws.

Buildings are pretty much the most reliable way to increase troop numbers and gold income. In particular, castle towns in your own holdings will give you the biggest benefit. You might also consider sending your steward to collect taxes in a high-value province. You might also want to fiddle with the tax levels, but raising them will make your vassals like you less (potentionally giving you less troops, etc). Also, if you're catholic, bishops only pay you taxes if they like you more than they like the Pope.

If you don't have enough troops you can either wait for your levies to replenish or hire mercenaries. If you've already hired mercenaries and they've taken losses, remember that unlike levies, they can reinforce on the field.

I made the logo lighter

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

DrSunshine posted:

Taxes. Raise taxes on burghers and temples. Don't go too crazy raising taxes on feudal vassals, unless you're a small kingdom with few small vassals. Increasing the number of vassals increases the amount you get from taxes on them, so try to hold counties with many holdings as your desmesne. Plop your spymaster somewhere and set them to "Build Spy Network"-- there's a random event that the spymaster will discover a noble is a homosexual and the noble will pay 50 gold to keep you silent about his reputation. Plop your steward in the richest province in your desmesne.

You can also appoint a anti pope and laugh at the idea of ever running out of money again. Unless they nerfed them to poo poo since i last used them ( Around 1.07).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have raised taxes a bit but never enough to really get up there. All the holding improvements are so expensive though. 700 for a castle! I can't afford that! And to update already held holdings it is like 300 or so. Ridiculous! How do you get that much? Also what does an anti pope do for cash.

I didn't know vassal opinions mattered. Thanks!

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
You probably won't be constructing any new holdings for a while, but the first two income improvements only cost 100-180 gold, and they pay for themselves after a short while.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Beans posted:

So what you are talking about having all of them as one unit is the dukedom of Munster. Most dukes are not independent(they usually serve a king) but Ireland isn't like that.

If you look at the screenshot I circled probably the two most important things new people can learn, when you click a province of land(a county) it will show you the dukedom & kingdom they belong to. This is even if the duke or the kingdom don't exist yet. If you click the shield, then click the de jure button it will show you all land that is part of that title. If you control 50% of that, you can claim and legally go to war over the rest.

The bottom one is always the duke and the top the kingdom. In this case the duchy of muster is Desmond, Ormond, and Thormond. The kingdom is uh all of Ireland I think?

I now this is being nitpicky but please: A Duke holds a Duchy, not a dukedom.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Jastiger posted:

Also what does an anti pope do for cash.

Bishops, which are the second best source of revenue after city mayor dudes, pay money either to you or the Pope, whichever they like better. Which means you have to suck all their dicks to get your cash. If you have an antipope, they pay money either to your antipope (your vassal) or you, so you're not flushing all your money to Rome.

Also, it gives you a casus belli to attack Rome :unsmigghh:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Torrannor posted:

I now this is being nitpicky but please: A Duke holds a Duchy, not a dukedom.
:eng101: "Dukedom" is a real word, it refers to the title of Duke of Wherever, as opposed to the duchy which are the lands associated with the title.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'd much rather prefer beard guy from the Old Gods extreme trailer in the emote. :colbert:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

My amazing 21 intrigue wife was killed by a loving minor Norwegian Princess in my court. :argh:
I avenged her by asking the pope to excommunicate her, then I imprisoned her and cut off her head.

Also 51% of the counties to create the duchy is annoying when there are only 2 counties.

This game is crazily addictive.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Trujillo posted:

I know you can't join vassal wars unless they're crusades/jihads, which is pretty frustrating when one of your kin is getting overthrown and you can't do a thing about it.

Stab the aggressor, or if your ruler is relatively popular, imprison/execute.

Broken Cog posted:

So, how severe are the penalties for inbreeding in this game?

I noticed one of my half-sisters had married a cousin of hers, and they have had three genius kids with the lunatic trait so far, which I thought was pretty hilarious.

As long as it's not a close relative they probably won't go all Hapsburg on you. Even if it's a Zoroastrian divine marriage you can still get worthwhile children, though you may need to get rid of a terrible one if it's your heir.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

TinTower posted:

I'd much rather prefer beard guy from the Old Gods extreme trailer in the emote. :colbert:

I will not be blackmailed!

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

Also 51% of the counties to create the duchy is annoying when there are only 2 counties.

Yeah, it kind of is, but it was more annoying when the limit for creating or usurping was 50% and you would occasionally wind up usurping the title back and forth.

To those who know: are those numbers separate and exported for easy modification? Like, if I wanted to set it so that you only needed 50% to create a duchy but 51% to usurp it, is that possible?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Winter Stormer posted:

Yeah, it kind of is, but it was more annoying when the limit for creating or usurping was 50% and you would occasionally wind up usurping the title back and forth.

To those who know: are those numbers separate and exported for easy modification? Like, if I wanted to set it so that you only needed 50% to create a duchy but 51% to usurp it, is that possible?

Yep! defines.lua:

code:
DEJURE_COUNTY_LIMIT_TO_CREATE = 0.51,
DEJURE_COUNTY_LIMIT_TO_USURP = 0.51,
EMPIRE_DEJURE_COUNTY_LIMIT_TO_CREATE = 0.8,
EMPIRE_DEJURE_COUNTY_LIMIT_TO_USURP = 0.8

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

grancheater posted:

I will not be blackmailed!

Now just give him the wink and it will be perfect.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Something is REALLY hosed up with this Elective Monarchy system.

Okay, this is the deal. I got my son to marry the heir of Sweden and everything was just peachy until her brother Dan was born. Easy fix, right? Just stab him a bit and it should go back to the way it was. Except after he dies, it goes to some uncle. When you kill HIM it goes to some random cousin or some poo poo. I switch over to the King of Sweden, fix everything up, switch back and kill the King via console command to make sure it sticks. Now my heir is married to the Queen of Sweden and everything is just fine EXCEPT the heir to Sweden isn't one of their kids. I switch over to her and attempt to nominate an heir and NONE of the kids are in the options available. How can you be the Queen of Sweden and not be able to elect your own kids?! And it has nothing to do with the dynasty either since previous options have been from other dynasties and it can't have to do with age EITHER because some other children were in the options too.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Lareine posted:

Something is REALLY hosed up with this Elective Monarchy system.

Okay, this is the deal. I got my son to marry the heir of Sweden and everything was just peachy until her brother Dan was born. Easy fix, right? Just stab him a bit and it should go back to the way it was. Except after he dies, it goes to some uncle. When you kill HIM it goes to some random cousin or some poo poo. I switch over to the King of Sweden, fix everything up, switch back and kill the King via console command to make sure it sticks. Now my heir is married to the Queen of Sweden and everything is just fine EXCEPT the heir to Sweden isn't one of their kids. I switch over to her and attempt to nominate an heir and NONE of the kids are in the options available. How can you be the Queen of Sweden and not be able to elect your own kids?! And it has nothing to do with the dynasty either since previous options have been from other dynasties and it can't have to do with age EITHER because some other children were in the options too.

Were the people from the other dynasties that got elected either landed in Sweden or claimants?

AfroSquirrel posted:

Now just give him the wink and it will be perfect.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Nolanar posted:

Yep! defines.lua:

code:
DEJURE_COUNTY_LIMIT_TO_CREATE = 0.51,
DEJURE_COUNTY_LIMIT_TO_USURP = 0.51,
EMPIRE_DEJURE_COUNTY_LIMIT_TO_CREATE = 0.8,
EMPIRE_DEJURE_COUNTY_LIMIT_TO_USURP = 0.8

Just tried this and edited the DEJURE_COUNTY_LIMIT_TO_CREATE value to 0.50 but I still can't form a duchy with 2/4 of the counties in my control. It shows that the "2/4" requirement is green but it says I don't have enough gold, which I do. The notification at the top telling me that I can create the title is not appearing as well.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does anyone actually enjoy playing as a Muslim? I's impossible to manage decadence on characters outside your realm.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
It's weird how...normal things can look after you beat back the Vikings.

P.S. Alfred the Great is an amazingly fun start.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Who's getting stabbed? I don't see any stabbing in that picture.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

The fair thing would be for someone to release a mod that turns off Mongols.

I would seriously pay cold hard cash for an official DLC that does this, holy poo poo. I just wanted to be a Persian without getting my dick kicked in by the Ilkhanate :smith:

Although once I did see Persia totally survive the Ilkhanate invasion, because they decided to move in on the Golden Horde's turf instead. Of course, that's when I wasn't playing as Persia.

Can't wait for the inevitable Golden Horde arrival :getin:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
In my Irish Viking game every young girl that is captured during a raid ends up lesbian when they grow up. I'm starting to wonder if my cruel lesbian daughter is to blame for this. :gay:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Newbie gavelkind questions....

So im ireland starting. What happens exactly when i die with two sons and several daughters? Does the oldest get the kingdom as a whole and the other a county? How about the daughters? Will one son be resentful and try rebelling?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Gavelkind is a bit wonky all around. Generally daughters won't get anything, pretenders won't be too unhappy. Your oldest son should get the kingdom title and, if you only got one, the duchy. On a county level things get a bit random.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Always nice when Gavelkind succession problems solve themselves.

(No savescumming involved)

Just a shame that that one guy is absolutely terrible, all my daughters have amazing traits.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Zotix posted:

Newbie gavelkind questions....

So im ireland starting. What happens exactly when i die with two sons and several daughters? Does the oldest get the kingdom as a whole and the other a county? How about the daughters? Will one son be resentful and try rebelling?

So, in order. The idea is that your titles will be split evenly, but it's fairly screwed up at the moment. Most likely, your eldest will receive the kingdom and one county, while your second son will get nearly everything else. What happens with your daughters depends on the other half of your succession rules: if you're under (true) cognatic, they'll inherit equally with your sons; if you're under agnatic-cognatic, they would only inherit if you had no sons; and if you're under agnatic, they'd be bypassed completely, and your titles would revert to an older family member if you didn't have sons. And yeah, your other kids would be pretenders and claimants to the throne of Ireland, and could cause a serious ruckus if you're unlucky. Ambitious siblings are the most likely to cause a problem, due to the "wants stuff from you + ambitious" opinion malus and their tendency to join and create factions.

The best bet here is to slay your brother and convert to a better succession scheme ASAP. I'm a fan of elective, personally, though it can bite you in the rear end if you're not careful or have multiple elective titles.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Magyars are funny, I did like somebody suggested and held on to all the holdings in Bulgaria and de jure hungary not in boehmian hands. Once I had 25k troops I turned into Hungary. So I now have three stacks of 25k event troops. It took a few years though and I probably lost out on about 30 gold a month for 5 or 6 years. I have no difficulty bar when I load the savegame.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
So for anyone that wants to play as Norse traders but doesn't know how to change the starting nations...

You can start as the non senior member of one if the trade republics and use conquest CB to take enough territory to make a duchy then sue for independence. You can set up shop wherever you want since you can conquest any coastal territory and after taking 2-3 counties you can over power anything your doge will send at you.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

A Tartan Tory posted:

It's weird how...normal things can look after you beat back the Vikings.

P.S. Alfred the Great is an amazingly fun start.

The Alfred the Great start obviously has a lot of potential, but I just can't seem to beat back Ivar the Boneless. He just throws 10k doomstacks at my few thousand guys. How do you guys go about beating him? It doesn't help that despite his amazing stats Alfred starts as with only two counties and his craven brother for a liege (who just won't die).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Amnistar posted:

So for anyone that wants to play as Norse traders but doesn't know how to change the starting nations...

You can start as the non senior member of one if the trade republics and use conquest CB to take enough territory to make a duchy then sue for independence. You can set up shop wherever you want since you can conquest any coastal territory and after taking 2-3 counties you can over power anything your doge will send at you.

I just used the console. :shobon:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I was expecting something special for sacrificing the freaking Pope. :sigh:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Lawman 0 posted:

I was expecting something special for sacrificing the freaking Pope. :sigh:

Bask in the warm glow of a burning Pope a job well done.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Bask in the warm glow of a burning Pope a job well done.

Actually im not sure if I should feel very proud of myself since the pope is not the vassal of anyone and is basically sitting in rome watching all his gold pile up until I send my goons to break in for a bit of smash and grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Actually im not sure if I should feel very proud of myself since the pope is not the vassal of anyone and is basically sitting in rome watching all his gold pile up until I send my goons to break in for a bit of smash and grab.

Yeah, it seems like you should ransom him instead, if you capture him. He's a king-level ruler, right? I imagine his ransom is 250 or so.

• Locked thread