Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Part of the EA ritual that (as far as I'm aware) only TX and LA do. Can't go into detail here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
New ring!

It's period correct for the 18th century!

jonboy8871
Sep 25, 2003
What the deuce?

Nice! I love the old style stuff best of all. There was an old 18th century one with an intaglio square and compasses in agate on eBay a couple months ago that rocked. Too rich for my blood, tho.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Where can one get such a period-correct ring?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
http://www.craftsmansapron.com/products/rings

Makes awesome custom aprons, too.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Anyone hang out on the Freemason facebook page? Because it's awful. I really wish someone other than a giant Randroid would take over it. :(

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone hang out on the Freemason facebook page? Because it's awful. I really wish someone other than a giant Randroid would take over it. :(

Freemasonry has a facebook page?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
This is pretty much the standard: https://www.facebook.com/freemasonspage

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Due to a massive effort in the province, we've managed to get a 'Masonic News' group up for the province - still very much an uphill struggle to get folk in - something approaching 700 members - which is a fair number.

My lodge itself has a FB page (which I run along with the current DM and current WSW) but the opinion of Facebook (and the internet as a whole) in the area is low - misinformed, mistrusting or just apathetic.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Which province?

imac1984
May 3, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

yeah, it's absolutely terrible. There's another one that's Freemasons of the World or something that is equally terrible. All the graphics and stuff they post is just embarrassing most of the time IMHO. Apparently a large chunk of 168k+ people would probably disagree with me though.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Which province?

Fife and Kinross, Scotland.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm on the primary Freemasons page as well as a few other Lodges. Some have some neat articles or pictures or the like, which is the kind of engaging material I try to post on our own, but most are as bad as you'd expect.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I know the historical connection between the Shriners and the Freemasons, but what is the connection like nowadays? Do you guys have awesome street-level gang wars?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Dirty_Moses posted:

I know the historical connection between the Shriners and the Freemasons, but what is the connection like nowadays? Do you guys have awesome street-level gang wars?

I'm... not sure you know the historical connection.

The Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (the acronym is a fun easter egg once I figured it out :haw: ) was created by Masons and has always required a member to also be an active Mason.

Shriners ARE Masons, so uh... there are no wars that I know of :) As far as the inter-body politics and stuff goes, it varies by jurisdiction.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

QPZIL posted:

The Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (the acronym is a fun easter egg once I figured it out :haw: ) was created by Masons

More importantly, the Shriners were created as a direct result of Blue Lodges banning alcohol in lodges. This leads to the feel that exists to this day of the Shriners feeling like a frat for 60-90 year olds. And it's awesome.

I'm a Shriner, for what it's worth.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Join for the booze, stay for the cars!

One of these days I'll join Shrine, after my term as Master is up. I don't know how active they are locally, but I know they (as all Shrines do) contribute a healthy amount to the Shriners hospitals and they really focus on doing good work in the community -- aspects I can certainly encourage.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

More importantly, the Shriners were created as a direct result of Blue Lodges banning alcohol in lodges. This leads to the feel that exists to this day of the Shriners feeling like a frat for 60-90 year olds. And it's awesome.

Basically this.

Our Shrine rep has been on my rear end to join. He described it as the following: The blue lodge is where you go to work, the Shrine is where you go to play.

I know they can teach you how to throw a proper party. I wound up at a funeral for a shriner and holy poo poo... I don't think the dead guy was sober by the end of it.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wow, what a day. First time at the Grand Lodge of Scotland - it was the regular communication today. Amazing, place was packed. Looking forward to the next one in October. Also, there was a memorial for two brethren who were no longer among us, which was a nice show of sympathy and support.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Can you estimate how many brothers were in attendance? Sounds like a great time

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FreshFeesh posted:

Can you estimate how many brothers were in attendance? Sounds like a great time

650ish lodges in Scotland, Master and the two Wardens are supposed to attend, factor in those attending to represent Grand Lodge / Provincial Grand Lodges / District Grand Lodges and others supporting them (the District Grand Master of Barbados was there, along with 14 Brethren who came along with him - just one example)

It would be very hard to give even a rough guesstimation, if you then factor in those who did not attend and put apologies in, however it had to have been in the hundreds. I know there is a RWM of a lodge in Scotland who has posted here a couple times, if he was there then he might be able to chime in with his opinion, but I'd conservatively say 200-400ish quite easily.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I was voted in tonight. Initiation to take place in September. :parrot:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Congratulations! It'll be a great night, and an experience you won't soon forget.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Sockington posted:

I was voted in tonight. Initiation to take place in September. :parrot:

Congratulations!!

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
Any other Melbourne goonmasons in here by chance?

I'm going in as Inner Guard on the second Monday in July.

It appears the Grand Master will be officiating the nights activity which is pretty drat cool.

Do it!

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Any other Melbourne goonmasons in here by chance?

I'm going in as Inner Guard on the second Monday in July.

It appears the Grand Master will be officiating the nights activity which is pretty drat cool.

Do it!

Take the implement of your office with you to dinner, and see if anyone comments on it.

Sorry brother, Sydney Mason here, and I miss your install by a week, as I'm heading to Melbourne for the Pax Melbourne nerd fest.

Are there any lodges tyling in Melbourne on the 18-21 July weekend?

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

Take the implement of your office with you to dinner, and see if anyone comments on it.

Sorry brother, Sydney Mason here, and I miss your install by a week, as I'm heading to Melbourne for the Pax Melbourne nerd fest.

Are there any lodges tyling in Melbourne on the 18-21 July weekend?

Yeah there are a few on the thursday night, only a couple on friday, and none on the weekend when you're here.

I guess it all depends on where you're staying in Melb. I'm more than happy to accompany you and help out with a lift if need be. PM me. We'll figure something out.

Yeah, might take the 'items' to dinner and employ them if anyone comes too close....

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Some months ago I posted that we had Dr. Ed Mitchell come to our Lodge and receive the key to the city of Petaluma. One of our brothers has just found the two clips shot by our local cable access TV station which covered the event.

The first video has me speaking as an introduction, while the second is a bit more edited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqmVCvxq454

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVH11MjPtX4

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Can anyone recommend any good masonic podcasts? There seems to be only a handful of decent ones to listen to on iTunes.

What about online publications? Post a link why don't you?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Can anyone recommend any good masonic podcasts? There seems to be only a handful of decent ones to listen to on iTunes.

What about online publications? Post a link why don't you?

Don't know of any podcasts, but would love some

As for publications, I get 'The Square' magazine through the post, but I believe there is a digital option. Same with the 'Working Tools' magazine. I have found 'The Square' to be UGLE-related, and the WT to be a bit more general, but your mileage may vary.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Innerguard posted:

Don't know of any podcasts, but would love some

As for publications, I get 'The Square' magazine through the post, but I believe there is a digital option. Same with the 'Working Tools' magazine. I have found 'The Square' to be UGLE-related, and the WT to be a bit more general, but your mileage may vary.

I subscribe to:
'Whence Came You' (US) - hosted by Bro Robert Johnson who is connected with 'The Midnight Freemasons',
X-Oriente (US) - hosted by Eric Diamond but the series has been wound up, and
UGLQ - Queensland Freemasons (Australia) - feat. Bro. Luke Elin and VWBro. Graham Schulz.

My grand lodge puts up ours at https://www.freemasonsvic.net.au

Midnight freemasons is pretty good, and the California Freemason magazine is a ripper

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The current order of business is "gently caress Florida".

Is this still the order of business? Because, gently caress Florida indeed.
I've recently heard from a Past master of my regular, UGLE recognized lodge, here in California, who is a black man. This Worshipful African American gentleman, moved to Miami of all places, the most cosmopolitan city in this backwards state, and he is NOT ALLOWED TO ATTEND LODGE. He was told by the local lodge, and several others in his area, to "go join a prince hall lodge".

gently caress Florida.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
That is patently reprehensible and makes me pretty darn mad that a member of any Lodge, wherever located, would treat a brother like that.

To me, that kind of blatant racism is unfathomable and more than a little disheartening.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
In terms of general gently caress Floridary, I will point out that the Grand Master's edict regarding religions and such that was the point of contention before was overturned.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Paramemetic posted:

In terms of general gently caress Floridary, I will point out that the Grand Master's edict regarding religions and such that was the point of contention before was overturned.

One would hope. If there were to be an edict passed in such a manner here in California, three quarters of the line of officers in my lodge, and myself, the secretary, would have to demit immediately.

As of last communication, just a few months ago, the Grand Lodge of Florida will recognize neither African American Master Masons, nor Prince Hall lodges.

If anyone knows more about this, please keep me posted. I'd love to find some way to help my Brother stick it to these racist assholes.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 22, 2013

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Find out which lodge and have a formal complaint written to the Grand Lodge of Florida. They may he clandestine as well, which complicates matters a wee bit.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

Is this still the order of business? Because, gently caress Florida indeed.
I've recently heard from a Past master of my regular, UGLE recognized lodge, here in California, who is a black man. This Worshipful African American gentleman, moved to Miami of all places, the most cosmopolitan city in this backwards state, and he is NOT ALLOWED TO ATTEND LODGE. He was told by the local lodge, and several others in his area, to "go join a prince hall lodge".

gently caress Florida.

What in the gently caress? I know that there are obvious race problems in some places which we should be able to move past, but goddamn, that is something else. My old man (and brother) has a problem with non-caucasians, but we've had a number of brethren who have come here (scotland - one is a PM of a lodge in Los Angeles, and a prominent tattoo artist, and the other was a brother by the name of Cassius. He and ALL others treated these guys with the respect that any human deserves of another, and completely according to the way things should be.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I work at a juvenile residential treatment center. The other day, I was having a heart to heart over some treatment goal stuff with a 14 year old male resident, who saw my masonic ring. He asked me what the ring was, I told him my basic throwaway answer for when it's not a topic that should be explored at the time, "it's for my fraternity." He responded "let me guess, you're a bunch of math nerds?"

Cracked me right up.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

I work at a juvenile residential treatment center. The other day, I was having a heart to heart over some treatment goal stuff with a 14 year old male resident, who saw my masonic ring. He asked me what the ring was, I told him my basic throwaway answer for when it's not a topic that should be explored at the time, "it's for my fraternity." He responded "let me guess, you're a bunch of math nerds?"

Cracked me right up.

Well....You DO kind of have a thing for geometry....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
On the recommendation of jrgnsn_tjf in the post above, I've started to listen to the 'Whence Came You?' podcast. I highly recommend it to other brethren. So far, it seems quite simply and refreshing. 90-something episodes to go!