Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I wonder, if WWE got a guy like Dusty today, would they just completely job him out? Nowadays embarrassing a guy isn't so much "dress him up silly but still push him", it's "give him a horrible gimmick and then make him lose for 12 months"

If they got a guy like Dusty today he would work NXT dark matches until he lost weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Or until he gained even more weight since Vince has an inexplicable fondness for incredibly fat wrestlers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's hard for me to imagine WWE even acquiring someone like Dusty in his prime. A guy who can work, has great charisma, can get himself over, and knows about the business backstage, even if he's fat and not exceptionally tall. WWE wants their stars to be manufactured mutants whenever possible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Basically all the same reasons they let Colt get away.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I've been watching some Jimmy Valiant shoot interviews and he seems like a really awesome guy. I loved watching his stuff in old NWA/WCW, but is he one of those guys who smartened up at the end of his career, or was he always pretty cool?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Renaissance Spam posted:

I've been watching some Jimmy Valiant shoot interviews and he seems like a really awesome guy. I loved watching his stuff in old NWA/WCW, but is he one of those guys who smartened up at the end of his career, or was he always pretty cool?

Jimmy Valiant trained a bunch of the guys in former PSP obsession Mountain State Wrestling.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

oatgan posted:

Jimmy Valiant trained a bunch of the guys in former PSP obsession Mountain State Wrestling.

Considering that MSW had Buddy Love I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress does a guy like Chris Hero do those elbow strikes without concussing the hell out of people? They sound sick, but there's not really any way to slap one's thigh like with kicks, and he doesn't usually wear elbow pads anymore.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Renaissance Spam posted:

He always brought a lot to the table. Well, under the table.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How the gently caress does a guy like Chris Hero do those elbow strikes without concussing the hell out of people? They sound sick, but there's not really any way to slap one's thigh like with kicks, and he doesn't usually wear elbow pads anymore.

Its still the same theory. If you want the illusion shattered watch the motion of his other arm when he does the roaring elbow.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
^^^^ or that.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Perhaps his opponent slaps their thigh? I'm not sure.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, this isn't the best example of the sound, but you can see how he does it here if you look closely.

When was the last time WWE did a ladder match that wasn't for a title or a briefcase? I feel like they should be able to have ladder matches for other things, but I'm struggling to think of what those things should be. I know they've had them for #1 contenderships, but what if it's just a grudge match that doesn't involve a title at all? What could you put at the top?

I mean other than a Hardee's Bacon Thickburger.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, this isn't the best example of the sound, but you can see how he does it here if you look closely.

When was the last time WWE did a ladder match that wasn't for a title or a briefcase? I feel like they should be able to have ladder matches for other things, but I'm struggling to think of what those things should be. I know they've had them for #1 contenderships, but what if it's just a grudge match that doesn't involve a title at all? What could you put at the top?

TLC 2011. HHH vs Nash had a sledgehammer above the ring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

They did the TLC match at 2012 with the Shield that didn't even have anything hanging above the ring.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

Its still the same theory. If you want the illusion shattered watch the motion of his other arm when he does the roaring elbow.

Honestly this makes me feel better about enjoying them because the sound is a mix of :stonk: and :neckbeard: and I'm glad there's some illusion involved because drat.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

triplexpac posted:

I wonder, if WWE got a guy like Dusty today, would they just completely job him out? Nowadays embarrassing a guy isn't so much "dress him up silly but still push him", it's "give him a horrible gimmick and then make him lose for 12 months"

I think some of that might depend on whether or not they gave him any mic time. Let him cut a promo and he might come out with Hard Times II.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

sticklefifer posted:

The only one I really remember was for a #1 contendership between Morrison and Sheamus at TLC 2010?

It was a great match.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Thanks, but I'm thinking more along the lines of something that isn't either a belt (or contendership briefcase), and the match ends when you get it (so, not a weapon). I wish there were some important object that means "you win, match over" without being title-related. The best I can come up with is a ring bell with a hammer tied to it, and you have to ring the bell yourself. But then it might be hard to determine who rang it if both guys are up there.

Maybe one of Vince McMahon's brass rings. :v:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
There was the Rey-Eddie ladder match at Summerslam one year for custody of Rey's son.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Ultimate X symbol?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How is everyone forgetting the TIT? :quagmire:

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
A literal brass ring

Edit: I suck at reading

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
When viewing wrestlers from a Game of Thrones standpoint, who is the smartest from a political perspective?

People always point out Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, and Triple H as being guys that knew how to work the system.

Nash once said the greatest worker of all time is Hulk Hogan since he made the most money. If the objective of the "work" involved is to make money and not put on a great match.

Nash made a lot of money as well. despite doing very little. Somehow he's made a career out of convincing people he's worth something yet isn't very good at his craft.

Triple H literally gamed the business by making the right alliances early on, burying anyone he thought could threaten his spot, and married the boss' daughter. The business will be his once Vince steps down.

I'd throw Eric Bischoff in the mix as well. Eric has an uncanny ability to convince reputable businesses to throw money his way despite a poor track record.

The Rock used wrestling to succeed in an even more competitive industry becoming a Hollywood A-lister.

Who ultimately comes out on top?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

hodor

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In listening to a Steen and Necro Butcher interview, it seems like both wrestlers have had tough dealings with CZW. I know that it's a small sample size but some wrestlers, that are not CZW regulars, have had good dealings with CZW, right?

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 23, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Psul Burchill is pretty good at incest. So I'm going to say Paul Burchill.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'd say that The Rock is the most successful guy to ever come out of pro-wrestling, and that Hogan is the most successful pro-wrestler, if that makes any sense?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Steve Austin made the most money in the shortest amount of time making him the best and most efficient wrestler.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Brock beat WWE in court, destroyed Vince's confidence, and returned to make a bunch of money on very few dates.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Steve Austin made the most money in the shortest amount of time making him the best and most efficient wrestler.

I was going to say Austin but figured that Hogan beats him purely on longevity.

Now that's not necessarily a good thing (in fact, it definitely isn't) but I figured Hogan is the guy who has had the longest run of success in the biggest companies and continues to make a good amount of money even today in a smaller one.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Nash probably has the highest money:work ratio.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Nash probably has the highest money:work ratio.

Genius might have him beat

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Vince McMahon is obviously the only real answer here.

The Rock is more successful but only because he went to Essos instead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TL posted:

There was the Rey-Eddie ladder match at Summerslam one year for custody of Rey's son.

This is also the greatest ladder match ever. Not really for any actual wrestling but just for the sheer insanity of the storyline ending in such a crazy way.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I will need to factor health into success. You can have all the money but if it hurts to put your pants on every morning, poo poo still kind of sucks. Hogan and Austin had health problems to show for their success. Hogan may still, although I think Austin is doing good these days. The Rock and HHH have had injuries, but as far as I know they never suffered chronic ongoing issues. Those two guys have probably been the most successful but on opposite sides of the coin.

If I had to pick one I'll go with The Rock because it just seems like he's having a lot of fun with his life, enjoying success, making millions of dollars, he can do whatever he wants at the moment.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Triple H is going to literally end up with the company so he's basically the winner of all of this, and frankly his plan may have been just as good as Littlefinger's.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I like to imagine the booking meeting where HHH pitched he and Stephanie becoming kayfabe involved followed by a smash cut to Kevin Sullivan waking up in a cold sweat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Triple H: See, eventually Steph will fall for me, and then WWE will be mine!
Chyna: Ours?
Triple H: You heard what I said :colbert:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

jeffersonlives posted:

Triple H is going to literally end up with the company so he's basically the winner of all of this, and frankly his plan may have been just as good as Littlefinger's.

His plan was Littlefinger's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

fatherdog posted:

I like to imagine the booking meeting where HHH pitched he and Stephanie becoming kayfabe involved followed by a smash cut to Kevin Sullivan waking up in a cold sweat.

His rise was really incomprehensibly swift and complete when you run out the full timeline; he went from nearly being fired in spring 1996 to being on the booking committee in fall 1997, and then from there he was pushed to the moon for years straight before he got over as anything more than a catchphrase, culminating in a storyline where he booked himself into a relationship with the boss's daughter. And then after they fall in love for real, he outmaneuvers both his own wife and his brother-in-law to become the heir apparent, while still pushing himself to the moon and burying anyone and everyone that was either a threat or that he disliked.

It's really quite something when you take a step back and admire it.