Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Katsuma posted:

So is Arks Cash basically required if you want to have any fun playing Pretty Princess Dress-Up in Space 2? Or are a good variety of costume pieces available for meseta, even if at an exorbitant price?

It's not required, but if you're planning on playing the game for a long time it's certainly nice to have 100 inventory slots (one time purchase per character, up from 50) and additional Mags (I bought 2 extra, so I have one each of pure S/R/T-ATK to cover all of the classes). All of the rest of the stuff is subscription based (Premium, shop/room, additional bank slots) or just not really worth it (garbage consumables, scratch tickets).

As Luni said, clothes can all be bought for meseta and generally none of them are too expensive. The worst I've seen recently was ~3,000,000 for the black wedding dress. Typically clothes range from 100k~1.5m depending on how kawaii they are and what color combination you want. This may sound like a lot but once you get to the end game you can very easily make 500k in an hour provided that you have 3 friends who are remotely decent at the Time Attack missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well gee, it's too bad there's not a fistful of boosted Falz events during this 10-day period so you'd have lots of chances. Oh. No, hang on.

This is a really good excuse for goldbricking your way through end game content you aren't capable of doing competently.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Protocol 5 posted:

This is a really good excuse for goldbricking your way through end game content you aren't capable of doing competently.

And here I was thinking all the successful Boosted Falz runs I've been a part of were a complete fluke. Silly me!

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Whatever, dude. You implied that a guy who criticized your play was a racist after posting a video of you dying repeatedly in quest 15 levels above you.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Maybe you guys should spit at each other anywhere than inside the thread, hmm?

In any case, do we have anymore information on Braver skills? I know that Weak Hit Stance is one of them (or at least I heard it is) and was wondering what the other ones would be.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
This literally happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIPCza2I6fI

Disgusting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Chibs posted:

This literally happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIPCza2I6fI

Disgusting.

Here's my account of it (or it will be in a few minutes when it finishes uploading):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NpFHQLJjgk

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Protocol 5 posted:

It's really irritating to do the level 60 quest and have to carry a bunch of extremely underleveled people who don't know what to do. I totally understand people wanting to get a chance at the drops when they're underleveled, but having several people who aren't contributing much slows everybody down. Also, the level 60 quest actually gives less XP than the level 40 one if you're below character level 50. If someone's not pulling their weight, it's pretty much inevitable that someone is going to unhappy about that.

I can understand how they feel, but that's really a good excuse for them to be rude about it. People dying a few times doesn't really make a Falz run go really bad. It's more detrimental if people don't know the nuances about how to break all the arms and earn the most drops, and that's really not something that's going to magically get better by doing a lower difficulty.

I actually didn't know all of the specifics myself for the longest time, but I know them now and I'll try to teach other goons about them when I can.

Really just doesn't seem fair to tell people to forgo on the chance of VH drops because they might die a few times.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 23, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

I'm just dropping it. I don't even play on the same ship as everyone else, so it really doesn't make any difference.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Lunimeow posted:

You can get some really neat instruments for your my room that actually play bits of a song. People can drop in and out with the different instruments, it's really cool.

I can't actually get into said room without spending real cash money though :(

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

OrangeSoda posted:

Episode 2 is adding a "mini room" as a free feature so maybe they'll be useful there.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

OrangeSoda posted:

We gave all of ours to Kirby and now we have a party room.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Schubalts posted:

We gave all of ours to Kirby and now we have a party room.

They're stashed in Mewnie's room for the time being, as my room pass is about to or has run out. Stupid three day tease passes :argh:

Thanks for the 50+ car items, by the way, I really appreciate it :geno:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chibs posted:

I've been getting this same poo poo since maintenance last Tuesday. I don't know if there's anything to really do about than wait for them to fix it in the next one. hopefully

Holy poo poo I thought I hosed my computer somehow I almost contemplated reformatting earlier today.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I think you can still select my name in the team list and choose Go To Room.

Not only is there a nearly full set of instruments, but you can also relax to the soothing sounds of a dozen washing machines quietly rumbling.

Chibs posted:

This literally happened.

Video

Disgusting.

haha the music in the background peaked at the perfect time when the rappy bomb happened.

e: Sadly, I think those rappies were just more PSOW spergs :(

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 23, 2013

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Since I've recently learned most of the specifics involving fighting Elder and how to best squeeze the drops out of him. I've written a guide to help people new to it. I do hope it's not too long.

Now, I will say that many goons don't care if someone doesn't do this exactly right (I know I don't), and that it's more of an ideal run to shoot for if you want as many drops as possible.

This emergency quest is actually split into two phases to begin with. The first phase is the 'Approaching Dark Ams' (Raging Arms for the boosted) emergency quest. This lasts exactly 30 minutes and the EQ can be done as many times as you can complete it in that time frame. If you're currently in a run when 30 minutes has passed, you'll still be able to complete your current run.

The goal during this phase is to defeat as many of Falz arms server wide to trigger the next phase of the Dark Falz EQ. (Though, it's incredibly easy to hit the required amount of arms and it's possible this requirement has never been failed. )

The mission itself is relatively simple. 4 Falz hands will spawn and your goal is to kill just one. On normal or hard your best bet is mostly just focusing on quick kills for fast XP. This is usually accomplished by focus fire on the rear end of each arm; where there is a very large and growing red weak point. If you are on VH, then the goal will be to destroy as many of the 'nails' as you possibly can. Each hand has 5, as a regular hand does, and each break will earn an additional drop and add rarer items to the drop pool. No matter the form of attack, you'll have to avoid hand stomps, grapples, lasers, and even the dreaded hand snake to defeat the hands.

There are also a third pair of hands that will tag team in during fights on occasion, and their nails are unbreakable.

A tip for those with trouble on the hand snake. If you run to where it immediately spawns you can sit there with safety for it's entire attack duration.

Once enough arms have been defeated and 30 minutes has passed, then the second stage of the Falz EQ will begin. This is a one shot fight with Dark Falz Elder. The mission itself is called 'Profound Darkness' Kin: Elder (Utterly Profound for the boosted).

The goal for all three difficulties will most likely be the same, though the focus will be more relaxed for hard and even more so for normal. You will want to destroy as many destructible arms as you can. This is a key point, as every pair of arms can be destroyed but the very bottom ones. Damage on anything but the destructible arms is a little frowned upon, because damage there is damage lost toward more arm breaks.

There is also another caveat with breaking arms, and that is they can only take damage toward being broken during certain points and at a certain location. This is when they're extended, and only at the part of the wrist that is glowing red.

This fight itself is also divided into two major phases. The first has Elder protecting his core with his indestructible set of arms. The focus will be to destroy any 4 arms, though the ones high above are not reachable normally. His attacks will vary but they mostly involve swinging at you with his arms. Most of these attacks do have some relatively clear tells, but their wide and sweeping nature will mean that you'll often be relying on dodge/blocking instead of straight-up getting out of range. There are safe zones for some of these attacks, but they're harder to explain in words and something most people pick up on after a few runs.

Once any 4 arms are destroyed the second phase will begin. Falz will enrage, erupt with purple wings, and 4 new pairs of arms will spawn. The goal is about the same, take out those shiny new arms. However, he'll remove the indestructible hands from his core and start using them for attacks. So, be sure to not swing at them when he stretches them out. In the case of the triple hand thrust, only the first and third hands are breakable.

The difficulty will come in that the final, upper 2 pairs of arms will not stretch out and attack at the party. They will only be within reach and stretched when Falz has been shocked. This is why you'll frequently see later ends of this stage involving most of the party waiting and forces spamming electric attacks. Others can aid in this process by using weapons with the 'shock' status. Falz, unfortunately, builds up a resistance to shock over time (typically see 4-5 at best), so the suggestion is to avoid using shock weapons or spells until the second phase.

If you manage to do that and all of the new set of arms are destroyed, then Falz will already be near death. Finish him off by picking your favorite weak point and you've got the preferred Elder run. Congratulations!

Edit: If I've missed any major details, feel free to point them out. (updated with new info)

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 23, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
One thing worth mentioning on Falz Elder: when he does his attack where he trusts 3 arms forward in phase 2, the first and third arm are breakable. The one in the middle is his unbreakable bottom arm. Do not attack the bottom arm ever.

Also for Fighters on that fight: Wise Stance. It's really weird but the way I've heard it explained is that the game considers Falz to be in the middle of his platform, like when he does his butt stomp thing, so you're pretty much always "behind" him.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
It's worth noting that there's not actually a hard limit on how many times you can shock Elder. However, each time you shock him, his resistance to the shock SE increases, so each progressive shock becomes more difficult to pull off. Typically, you will only get 4-5 in, but I did once see 6. In a good party, 2 shocks is enough. Typically, you do not want to start shocking until only the upper 2 pairs of arms remain.

Also, he can't be reshocked while his arms are down, so feel free to wail on them with zonde.

Another note: While this isn't 100% confirmed, it's pretty likely that the only rares you get from breaking Elder's arms that you can't get otherwise are the units. So it's not a terribly huge deal if you leave a few arms alive when he dies, but most people will try to break them all anyway, as it makes the fight much more engaging.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 23, 2013

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Dawnfire posted:

Once any 4 arms are destroyed the second phase will begin. Falz will enrage, erupt with purple wings, and 3 new pairs of arms will spawn. The goal is about the same, take out those shiny new arms. However, he'll remove the indestructible hands from his core and start using them for attacks. So, be sure to not swing at them when he stretches them out.

The difficulty will come in that the final, upper 2 pairs of arms will not stretch out and attack at the party. They will only be within reach and stretched when Falz has been shocked. This is why you'll frequently see later ends of this stage involving most of the party waiting and forces spamming electric attacks. Others can aid in this process by using weapons with the 'shock' status. Falz, unfortunately, can also only be shocked a certain number of times (I believe it is 4, but I may be wrong on this number) Falz gains resistance to being shocked as he gets shocked, to the point that anything more than 4 shocks is uncommon, so the suggestion is to avoid using shock weapons or spells until the second phase.

If you manage to do that and all of the new set of arms are destroyed, then Falz will already be near death. Finish him off by picking your favorite weak point and you've got the preferred Elder run. Congratulations!

Edit: If I've missed any major details, feel free to point them out.

that's about my 2 cents here

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
That makes a lot more sense now. I always thought you had to attack the arms in a very specific order.

Huh! At least I can hit the right arms without feeling as bad now :V

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Suggestions taken and implemented. Appreciate the feedback! Will add in any more info I've missed as people point it out.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
As far as order goes, there is no requirement. However, most parties start on the left (Elder's right arms), then proceed to the right (left arms).

So, phase 1, break Elder's 2 right arms, then 2 left arms. In phase 2, break Elder's 2 middle right arms, then 2 middle left arms, then shock to break the top 2 right arms, then shock again to break the top 2 left arms.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I hope they announce the release of the PSO2 OST soon so we can hear all of those tracks we forget as soon as they stop playing. Because they're bad. Unless some of the new areas introduced in the last year somehow have music as good as the previous Phantasy Star soundtracks (besides PSU).

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I wouldn't say most of them are bad, just bland. But I definitely see where you're coming from. The areas do seem to be getting better in the music department, though. I quite like the Sanctuary music. And City is Episode 3-ish in a way, which is fine by me.
The boss songs are mostly pretty good, though. I'd put Falz Hunar above some of the original PSO's music. The Banther/Banshee and Big Vardha themes are others that I'm pretty fond of.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Personally, I think the music is pretty damned good, boss tracks especially. Maybe not quite as great as PSO's, but it's close.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I'd put Falz Hunar above some of the original PSO's music.

Kink in the Wind was the weak point of the PSO OST, maybe, but I haven't heard a single thing from PSO2 that comes close to Empty Space Out of Control, Revolution to the Origin, Abysmal Ball, or Underworld Chaos. I'm leaving Tricktrack out because it's actually from Phantasy Star 2, and because it's not fair to compare anything to it.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

some of the tracks are good, some not so great. the background stage music is kinda meh but a lot of the boss themes are pretty good.

as for falz chat, here's the cheatsheet image. red arms are unbreakable, blue arms can be broken, green/brown need to be shocked to break.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Some more class-based tips;

Melee: You can smash the nails on Falz Arms quite easily if you have high enough ATK and the right PAs. They seem to have about 5-6K HP on VH. For Hunter PAs, Speed Reign, Slide End, and Assault Buster for Partisan, Heavenly Fall for Wired Lance. For Fighter PAs, Deadly Archer and Tornado Dance for Double Saber, Straight Charge for Knuckles. Hitting the middle finger can be tricky, so make sure you're straight on and not standing too close. Once the nails are broken, wail on the wrists that have been Weak Bulleted. Use the strongest attack you've got. DA works well, just be careful not to stand too close. Fast, hard-hitting Hunter PAs like the ones mentioned above work equally as well against the wrists, and Over End can also do insane damage (personal best: 260K without Shifta drink), but you need to charge up sword gauge to 3. The easiest way to do that is putting Sonic Arrow in your first PA slot, then Over End, and wing Sonic Arrows through multiple arms to charge your gear up fast. Square up your target, jump, attack, just attack with OE. Using a regular attack automatically cues OE, you can throw Sonic Arrows from neutral position or a Step Attack. You will blow attacks from time to time due to the long animation, just reposition and top up sword gear.

For Elder, Step toward the double palm thrust just before it hits you to evade it every time. Pull back out of range of the swipe, clap, and slam, but move forward for the double overhead smash. When attacking, put your back to the unbreakable arm to avoid hitting it by accident. If using DA or other chargeable PA, when he gets shocked, lock onto the arm you're going to attack as it is falling, then do a regular or step attack and JA into the charge up while moving forward. This lets you get off a charged PA as soon as the arm falls into range.

Tech: Zondeel, Zondeel, Zondeel. If there are other techs around, make sure you try to set off their Zondeels and chain yours off of theirs. Make an effort to catch multiple arms in your field if at all possible. Avoid locking on, and Mirage Escape laterally to avoid attacks easily. Zonde can do high one-hit damage, but hitting the wrist weakpoint is fluky if you're not using over-the-shoulder mode. Good teamwork between multiple techs can lock down arms by constantly spamming shock while also doing respectable damage.

For Elder, use Grants or Ra Grants against the arms, and toss Sa Zonde followed by uncharged Zonde for maximum hits and minimum damage when it's time to shock. Consider bringing a basic Taris for this to minimize damage, but if people aren't attacking the unbreakable arms, it's not really necessary. Mirage Escape towards attacks to evade them, you've got a ton of i-frames to work with.

Ranged: Your primary concern is Weak Bulleting the wrists to speed up the fights. Avoid WBing the nails on Arms, since melees and techs can take care of those no problem, and WBing again when one is already active will overwrite the previous one, so be careful not to waste other people's WBs. When you use up all of your WBs, hang back and take pot shots, and do your best to keep all of the arms in sight. If you're a Gu/Ra, feel free to blast the weakpoints with all you've got until your WBs come off cooldown. If you're Ra/Hu, Addition Bullet will do solid damage against weakpoints, and you can catch more than one in the cone of effect, just stay aware of where the other arms are.

Try to stay near the sides for Elder, so you can get in to WB the wrists fast. Start with the outermost arm first, to create a safe zone you can use on that side during the palm thrust. If a WB'd arm gets broken, WB the nearest breakable arm ASAP. Shock 3 twin machine guns are awesome for Elder, easiest way to do it is to combine Shock 2 + Shock 2 + Fang Soul, and damage doesn't matter. You can also switch to them to dodge with Stylish Roll instead of the basic Dive Roll. When shocked, the general convention is to start with the arms on the player's left first to focus fire and avoid wasting WBs and shock attempts.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.

Synchronized dress-up dancing online 2

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I was looking for proof that PSU's OST was not complete poo poo, and I found a couple gems at the bottom of that wet garbage can. I also found this

http://www.pso2luna.com/hottest-phantasy-star-online-2-female-characters/

which is hilarious for the title alone. GONNA BUST A NUT OVER THESE SPACE ELVES!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

So, here's what getting abducted is like. It's long, and we only make it to the control tower, but this does not occur often, from my understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrW1YodUzDc

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Handgun Harlot posted:

Kink in the Wind was the weak point of the PSO OST, maybe, but I haven't heard a single thing from PSO2 that comes close to Empty Space Out of Control, Revolution to the Origin, Abysmal Ball, or Underworld Chaos. I'm leaving Tricktrack out because it's actually from Phantasy Star 2, and because it's not fair to compare anything to it.

Dang I love Tricktrack. Those are all good even although I'd put the Crater's battle music above Empty Space Out of Control for my top 5.

I'm going to disagree that there's nothing comparable to PSO's best though, Dark Ragne, Big Varder, Quartz Dragon, and the Ruins battle music all stand out for me.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Surprise Noodle posted:

Personally, I think the music is pretty damned good, boss tracks especially. Maybe not quite as great as PSO's, but it's close.

I'll have to start turning on BGM's during boss fights but thus far I haven't found any tracks I enjoy. :smith:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Blazing Zero posted:

I'll have to start turning on BGM's during boss fights but thus far I haven't found any tracks I enjoy. :smith:

The Falz Arm theme when everyone's at 40% progress is pretty good. It's rare to get though given how fast it rockets straight to 80% with everyone rushing it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Handgun Harlot posted:

I wouldn't put them quite up there either, but I'd say some of them are better than most of what we've had since those days. Here are some that I think are standouts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-_OnBSthCk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viFxOtl0Q9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=witQaXz-IK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxF9eBKFa-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ECj_jvkQ8

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Although we have certainly gotten more instruments since then, this happened, and the male singer for this track is amazing (and me as well):

We also should have video of the later stuff with a male and female singer and a whole ensemble behind them, but that will come later.

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 23, 2013

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This game is silly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixNMiNLlYYA
It's also the game that's going to teach me how to use Premiere. Why the hell does a 4 minute video have to be 150 megs. Christ...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DaveKap posted:

It's also the game that's going to teach me how to use Premiere. Why the hell does a 4 minute video have to be 150 megs. Christ...

I generally use h.264, 1280x720, VBR 2-pass, with a target bitrate of 3.13 and a maximum of 4.29. A 10-minute video comes out to about 235MB with that and looks pretty good.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I generally use h.264, 1280x720, VBR 2-pass, with a target bitrate of 3.13 and a maximum of 4.29. A 10-minute video comes out to about 235MB with that and looks pretty good.
This was h.264, 720, VBR 2-pass, target of 5, max of 10, and imho looks like crap. What gives?
You don't really need to answer that. It probably looks fine and I just have dumb standards. Size-wise, what you said matches up with what I made. If that size seems normal to you, I must be doing something right.
Edit: VV Actually, it was captured at 1080 and downscaled to 720 when exported. No idea why YouTube thinks it's a 1080 video.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DaveKap posted:

This was h.264, 720, VBR 2-pass, target of 5, max of 10, and imho looks like crap. What gives?

The output seems to be 1080, so from the looks of things it was recorded/captured at 720 and upscaled, which would account for the blurriness.

• Locked thread