Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Oxford Comma posted:

Wait, which Glock? The G17 and G19 are both 9mm but given the larger size of the G17, it handles recoil better but is less adept at being carried in a concealed manner. Also, are we talking 3rd or 4th generation Glocks?

Third gen. G29.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Oh no no. They don't care at all. I think they're more for killing zombies.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Oh hey, anyone know if there are an (un)official rules for armored vehicles for All Flesh Must Be Eaten anywhere?

Strawberry Tofu
May 13, 2009
I'm fixing to run a middling-to-high fantasy game with some friends, but it'd require me to spend a good amount of time and effort writing homebrew rules for 3.5e or Pathfinder to better suit the world I've built. Are there any systems where, in lieu of a spells/day (or maybe in conjunction with, or some other magic system), all magic instead requires some quantity of material component? Especially something that's balanced out as the levels start racking up.

RULESET: Between "Normal" and "Crunchy"
SUPPORT: Between "User Generated" and "Deep"
CHARGEN: Between "Quick" and "Involved"
SETTING: Between "Universal" and "Established"

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
As far as I'm aware, most systems don't require material components for casting spells. Honestly, I'm really tempted to recommend GURPS - it's fairly simple once play starts (though character creation takes loving ages), and it suites drat near any setting.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
If you are GURPS-inclined, Thaumatology has a lot of cool alternatives to the basic spells-as-skills system that you might want to look at.

Strawberry Tofu
May 13, 2009
Hmm, cool cool. I was already thinking about GURPS, so I'll have to look into it. I'm not really surprised nobody's done anything like this though, the amount of balancing required would make it a major headache. Thanks for the help!

agent blue
Nov 14, 2012
So I have a couple of games that I want to give a try, but I'm looking for pretty much the same aspects in a system for either one. One is a solo campaign in the style of a spy movie, with the player being in the role of James Bond. Or Austin Powers. Maybe Jackie Chan. The other game I was thinking of is pretty much multiplayer Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Crime, action, and my old man's CD collection. Something that can do cinematic gunfights. The possibility of betrayal.

RULESET: Freeform to Normal
SUPPORT: DIY to User-Generated
CHARGEN: Quick to Involved
SETTING: Universal to Neutral

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

bugcatcher posted:

So I have a couple of games that I want to give a try, but I'm looking for pretty much the same aspects in a system for either one. One is a solo campaign in the style of a spy movie, with the player being in the role of James Bond. Or Austin Powers. Maybe Jackie Chan. The other game I was thinking of is pretty much multiplayer Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Crime, action, and my old man's CD collection. Something that can do cinematic gunfights. The possibility of betrayal.

RULESET: Freeform to Normal
SUPPORT: DIY to User-Generated

My suggestion for team-James-Bond would be Leverage, possibly with the Kryptos supplement. Rules light heist-style stories with high action, high seduction and cons, and high trickery - and a very easy to run system. If you want more horseplay and less outwitting the bad guy it's Fate Core or Fate Accelarated.

For Vice City I'd start with an only very slightly tweaked Apocalypse World; Hardholder -> Don or Kingpin, Chopper -> Gang Boss, Driver -> Driver, Hocus -> Priest or Cult Leader, drop the Brainer and go from there.

agent blue
Nov 14, 2012
I'd looked around a little before seeing your answer and learned about Dirty World. Thanks for the heads up, I haven't heard of Leverage before! I've also heard good things about FATE, and since my group tends towards the over-the-top, I'll be looking at that too. Luckily I already have Apocalypse World.

Thanks!

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I am thinking of running a space game! Are there any systems that cover being the senior crew of a ship well, and manage space combat in an easy to run way? It'd lean more to hard sci-fi than pulp, but not to any great degree that the system would need to accommodate that specifically.

Outside of GURPS I was looking at a FATE version called Diaspora, but I haven't used it so I don't know how well it runs.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
One of the many Traveller variants? If you went with Mongoose Traveller, you'd definitely want a copy of High Guard - the number of options that adds to the game makes it well worth the cost, especially the naval career paths. The system is designed around hard sci fi, with plenty of optional rules to tweak this as you wish.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Would Traveller make a good system to run a Farscape game? I love the idea of having the setting actually be one of the characters. I was thinking of having the party raise a gunship leviathan like Talyn, mitigating his mood swings, installing new equipment, keeping him safe from other Peacekeepers and the like.

Does this sound good, or am I completely off the rails?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I'm not sure, actually; there might be something in there for ships with an actual AI, but I'm not sure how you'd go about having a ship as a living creature. Might be worth asking on the Mongoose forums.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
RULESET: Lite to Crunchy
SUPPORT: DIY to Deep
CHARGEN: Quick to Days

So I've got this idea in my head to run a post-apocalypse game where everything just went straight FUBAR. Earthquakes, volcanos, nukes, anomalies, mutants, space-time rips, magic— Kind of like RIFTS without the dumb poo poo. I don't really want to run an Apocalypse World game, so I'm not sure what else to use. I'm open to GURPS if there's any specific books I should read.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

saberwulf posted:

RULESET: Lite to Crunchy
SUPPORT: DIY to Deep
CHARGEN: Quick to Days

So I've got this idea in my head to run a post-apocalypse game where everything just went straight FUBAR. Earthquakes, volcanos, nukes, anomalies, mutants, space-time rips, magic— Kind of like RIFTS without the dumb poo poo. I don't really want to run an Apocalypse World game, so I'm not sure what else to use. I'm open to GURPS if there's any specific books I should read.

Gamma World

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Robodog posted:

I am thinking of running a space game! Are there any systems that cover being the senior crew of a ship well, and manage space combat in an easy to run way? It'd lean more to hard sci-fi than pulp, but not to any great degree that the system would need to accommodate that specifically.

Outside of GURPS I was looking at a FATE version called Diaspora, but I haven't used it so I don't know how well it runs.

I'm actually looking in to Sci Fi systems as well. I just skimmed through D6 Space and liked what I saw, mostly. The rules are simple to grasp, the chargen is involved but not crunchy, the setting is universal by design and the rules are Free!

The downsides to D6 Space or D6 in general as far as I can tell is that balancing and encounter building is extremely DIY. You won't find handy XP budget charts or the like. However, it does give you the tools to generate what you feel to be appropriate encounters. Its just totally up to you to hit the sweet spot of a difficult encounter and not a nigh-impossible encounter.

My question is about SPACESHIP COMBAT! :wookie:

Like I mentioned, I was looking at D6 Space. I don't like their approach to spaceship construction and combat, I feel its too crunchy and unintuitive. So far I've looked in to Star Wars Saga Edition for spaceship rules (which seem ok) and reskinning a simple version of 4e D&D with PCs as spaceships. Elites/Solos can be capitals, player ships/enemy ships could be frigates or corvettes and use PC rules, and strike craft can be types of minions.

I dunno. What do you guys think?

Spaceship Combat

RULESET: Lite to Normal
SUPPORT: DIY
SETTING: Universal

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I'm creating an RPG to emulate the 80s sitcoms that mixed comedy and pathos. What systems (besides Fiasco*, which I like) keep players engaged even when their PCs aren't present?

*Which I love.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

I'm creating an RPG to emulate the 80s sitcoms that mixed comedy and pathos. What systems (besides Fiasco*, which I like) keep players engaged even when their PCs aren't present?

*Which I love.

Ribbon Drive.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I hope this is the right thread for this.
I'm looking for a game that has a really well established pre-made campaign. My group has been running 4E, and 13th Age before that. Our DM has basically cut and run, and I am trying to fill his very talented shoes. I was hoping to find something that would take us a while to chew through, with at least most of my encounter spelled out for me so I can balance it well enough. I've been a player for years, but I'm not a great DM. I'd like to to not be too far from the D20 system, if possible, but we ran a one shot of Last Stand, and it went smooth enough, also, I've played a lot of Savage Worlds, but their campaigns don't include much more than setting and adventure ideas, if I recall correctly.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like Shadowrun, but it's way too rule heavy for me. I want something like Shadowrun, Cyberpunk with elves and decking, and really twitchy "couple shots and your toast" gameplay, but without a lot of rules to have too teach or understand.

RULESET: Freeform to Lite.
CHARGEN: None to Quick
SETTING: Universal -> Cyberpunk

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 23, 2013

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Purgey posted:

Spaceship Combat

RULESET: Lite to Normal
SETTING: Universal

Full Thrust. Go here http://fullthrust.star-ranger.com/ the rules are good and free. Use the Ship Book construction system.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kevindanger posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this.
I'm looking for a game that has a really well established pre-made campaign. My group has been running 4E, and 13th Age before that. Our DM has basically cut and run, and I am trying to fill his very talented shoes. I was hoping to find something that would take us a while to chew through, with at least most of my encounter spelled out for me so I can balance it well enough. I've been a player for years, but I'm not a great DM. I'd like to to not be too far from the D20 system, if possible, but we ran a one shot of Last Stand, and it went smooth enough, also, I've played a lot of Savage Worlds, but their campaigns don't include much more than setting and adventure ideas, if I recall correctly.

The best premade campaigns I can think of are the two adventure paths from ENWorld (far better than the Paizo ones - and statted for both 4e and Pathfinder), and the Eeemy Within campaign for WFRP. (Now I come to think of it either the original version or the WFRP massive adventure that's by the same name)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Turtlicious posted:

I really like Shadowrun, but it's way too rule heavy for me. I want something like Shadowrun, Cyberpunk with elves and decking, and really twitchy "couple shots and your toast" gameplay, but without a lot of rules to have too teach or understand.

RULESET: Freeform to Lite.
CHARGEN: None to Quick
SETTING: Universal -> Cyberpunk

There's an Apocalypse World hack called The Sprawl that you might be interested in.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

neonchameleon posted:

The best premade campaigns I can think of are the two adventure paths from ENWorld (far better than the Paizo ones - and statted for both 4e and Pathfinder), and the Eeemy Within campaign for WFRP. (Now I come to think of it either the original version or the WFRP massive adventure that's by the same name)

I'll second The Enemy Within, that's on the short list for 'best module ever written'. I'm going to get several sessions worth out of a module from 1985 called A Flight of Eagles, and it's really deep and complicated, but I may own the only copy in existence. So go for The Enemy Within. TEW is particularly notable for changing from a fantasy game to a Traveller campaign set on a river midway through (the Death on the Reik module).

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I've been running a Paranoia campaign using the FATE ruleset, but I've found that the combat is almost always player on player, and it pretty much boils down to "I shoot him", OK, roll shoot, you roll dodge, repeat until someone actually hits. Are there any rules that would work better with Paranoia, and specifically for player on player violence? I was thinking Unknown Armies might work OK, but I'll put it up to you folks to see if you have any better ideas.

RULESET: Freeform to Lite
CHARGEN: Quick
SETTING: Not used.

e: I find the actual Paranoia rules to be needlessly crunchy and fiddly, so I'm looking for something a little lighter.

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 23, 2013

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Basic Role Playing? I mean, it's quite simple, and since knowing the rules is treason, you can change whatever you want.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

BinaryDoubts posted:

I've been running a Paranoia campaign using the FATE ruleset, but I've found that the combat is almost always player on player, and it pretty much boils down to "I shoot him", OK, roll shoot, you roll dodge, repeat until someone actually hits. Are there any rules that would work better with Paranoia, and specifically for player on player violence? I was thinking Unknown Armies might work OK, but I'll put it up to you folks to see if you have any better ideas.

RULESET: Freeform to Lite
CHARGEN: Quick
SETTING: Not used.

e: I find the actual Paranoia rules to be needlessly crunchy and fiddly, so I'm looking for something a little lighter.

Paranoia? Quick chargen, DIY support?

Question 1: Do you know Apocalypse World or any of its hacks (Dungeon World, Monsterhearts, Monster of the Week)?

Question 2: Do you mind doing a little hacking yourself?

Because I can see something really good coming out of A Simple World using stats of Violence, Moxie, Chutzpah, Stealth, and Hacking. (Your mutant power is, of course, a move and your firm is either another or your playbook). And the players will be scoring Succeed with Consequences just about all the time.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

neonchameleon posted:

Thanks, these look exactly like what I was looking for.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

neonchameleon posted:

Paranoia? Quick chargen, DIY support?

Question 1: Do you know Apocalypse World or any of its hacks (Dungeon World, Monsterhearts, Monster of the Week)?

Question 2: Do you mind doing a little hacking yourself?

Because I can see something really good coming out of A Simple World using stats of Violence, Moxie, Chutzpah, Stealth, and Hacking. (Your mutant power is, of course, a move and your firm is either another or your playbook). And the players will be scoring Succeed with Consequences just about all the time.

*world is one of those things I've always thought of as being really cool, and simultaneously not really understood. Does it handle interpersonal conflicts well? If so, I'll give it a deep dive and try to understand.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BinaryDoubts posted:

*world is one of those things I've always thought of as being really cool, and simultaneously not really understood. Does it handle interpersonal conflicts well? If so, I'll give it a deep dive and try to understand.

AW is all about interpersonal conflicts, so you'll enjoy what you find there.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

After spending a while trying to wrap my head around the system, I've got a couple questions.
1. 99% of all shots fired by my players are at each other. I know combat isn't really a separate subsystem here like it is in other games, but is there some kind of initiative system that works well with *world? Deciding who gets to take action first seems important.
2. What separates a hard move from a soft move? I know the rulebook says hard is irrevocable, but it's not really clear based on the Simple World list of MC moves how to separate the two types.
3. The rules seem to emphasize a "players first" mentality, where the players direct the action and the GM only occasionally gets to steer. This seems absolutely counter to everything Paranoia stands for- thoughts?
Any help from those more seasoned with *world games would be greatly appreciated. Maybe an example of play would help out- I don't find the rules to be at all intuitive.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

BinaryDoubts posted:

After spending a while trying to wrap my head around the system, I've got a couple questions.
1. 99% of all shots fired by my players are at each other. I know combat isn't really a separate subsystem here like it is in other games, but is there some kind of initiative system that works well with *world? Deciding who gets to take action first seems important.

Initiative is only ever important for who fires the first shot - and you can normally tell that from the fiction. After that you just take it in turns.

quote:

2. What separates a hard move from a soft move? I know the rulebook says hard is irrevocable, but it's not really clear based on the Simple World list of MC moves how to separate the two types.

Hard moves are triggered on (from memory) a 6- and generally a lot nastier than soft ones.

quote:

3. The rules seem to emphasize a "players first" mentality, where the players direct the action and the GM only occasionally gets to steer. This seems absolutely counter to everything Paranoia stands for- thoughts?

Which version of Paranoia are you playing? And the GM can steer just fine in AW - it's simply that whatever happens to the PCs is slightly more intense than NPCs.

quote:

Any help from those more seasoned with *world games would be greatly appreciated. Maybe an example of play would help out- I don't find the rules to be at all intuitive.

I'm not that experienced myself - but for AW combat, I don't think anyone is more experienced than "lumpley"/Vincent Baker is. (He starts on page 2 of that thread).

The hard thing for *World beginners is that D&D has its roots in tabletop wargaming - and Paranoia is very D&D derived. Vincent Baker games (and most other Storygames) start off with freeform as a basis.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Thanks for the input, it's slowly coming together in my head here. So far, my stats are looking like so:
  • Violence: shoot & punch
  • Smarts: outwit & deduce
  • Daring: endure & impress
  • Persuasion: convince & deceive
  • Stealth: sneak & hide
I'm working on the mutant power moves, and the one thing that's giving me problems is the fact that I've previously allowed players to attempt more difficult manipulations by raising the difficulty number. Is it kosher to say "if you're trying to move more than someone's finger with Puppeteer, take a -1 to the roll"? Would a better solution be to say that the results for failure will be harsher?

e: mutant power moves:
  • Electroshock: roll +stealth to stun someone or something covertly, +violence to grab someone and powerfully shock them (1 harm)
  • Puppeteer: roll +stealth to manipulate someone's extremities, +violence to visibly force someone to hurt themselves (1 harm)
  • Matter Eater: roll +daring to consume just about anything, +violence to go for the jugular (1 harm).

I'm thinking of giving the PCs 3 Harm for HP and having lasers do a solid 2 Harm. Lethal enough for Paranoia, I hope. I don't know how legit it is to have two different skills attached to one move, but I wasn't sure how else to model the difference between subtle and offensive uses of the power.

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 27, 2013

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

BinaryDoubts posted:

Thanks for the input, it's slowly coming together in my head here. So far, my stats are looking like so:
  • Violence: shoot & punch
  • Smarts: outwit & deduce
  • Daring: endure & impress
  • Persuasion: convince & deceive
  • Stealth: sneak & hide
I'm working on the mutant power moves, and the one thing that's giving me problems is the fact that I've previously allowed players to attempt more difficult manipulations by raising the difficulty number. Is it kosher to say "if you're trying to move more than someone's finger with Puppeteer, take a -1 to the roll"? Would a better solution be to say that the results for failure will be harsher?

Keeping it simple and AW-y
10+: Pick 2
7-9, Pick 1
* The power is enhanced beyond its normal limits
* There are no unwanted side effects of the power itself
* You don't show visible or auditory manifestations of the power you are using

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

Keeping it simple and AW-y
10+: Pick 2
7-9, Pick 1
* The power is enhanced beyond its normal limits
* There are no unwanted side effects of the power itself
* You don't show visible or auditory manifestations of the power you are using

That's a stupendous solution. You can see my first attempt at the mutant power moves above (I edited my post right as you posted your response). I like your solution but I'm still not sure how it interacts with uses to do damage- maybe I can swap out "no unwanted side effects" with "does harm" and just have low rolls trigger the side effects.

e: Right now, I have a general "mutant power" move that has the player roll +stealth for covert uses and +violence for uses in fights. I'm thinking "enhanced beyond its normal limits" can mean "does harm", preserving the "unwanted side effects" bit.
e2: I'm taking a break from moves and looking at relationships. Almost no one is going to ever roll to help another player, it's all hinder rolls. Do they get to make these in fights? If so, seems like every single attack roll is going to be hindered by the attackee (and maybe helped by another player, now that I think about it). Am I missing something about the relationship system?

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 27, 2013

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there a good system for bullshit magical soccer or other sports in the vein of Inazuma Eleven or Shaolin Soccer? Something that does special move-based "this isn't even my final form" shonen nonsense would be perfect.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Is there a good system for bullshit magical soccer or other sports in the vein of Inazuma Eleven or Shaolin Soccer? Something that does special move-based "this isn't even my final form" shonen nonsense would be perfect.

...man, that seems like a criminally underserved niche now that you bring it up.

I can't think of anything that'd work right out of the box, you'd probably want to kludge something together out of your favorite supers or wuxia game, preferably if they have some support for power stunts that aren't just "do more damage". Legends of the Wulin would probably work well with some fluff changes, especially with the Secret Arts to handle excellent coaching or psyching out the other team.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
RULESET [Lite/Normal/Crunchy]
SUPPORT [User-Generated/Established]
CHARGEN [Quick/Involved]
SETTING [Universal/Neutral]

One of the players from my group composed of MOSTLY new players would like to try his hand at running a game. They are gonna be in charge of all the story stuff, and the general stuff that the GM usually does, with the exception of combat, which I will be doing most of to try and make it a bit easier for his first time.

He was planning on running a Final Fantasy inspired game, with a setting that more or less parodied the games (There are literally save points in the world, that society is more or less built upon) and has some elements from other JRPGs like Persona or Xenoblade.

The setting itself is a fairly typical final fantasy setting. Civilization built on the ruins of a dozen lost civilizations. Technology people don't QUITE understand, but use in every day life anyway. Evil plants drop magical chestplates and a small fortune when killed.

The groups only experience is with the game Last Stand which they enjoyed a lot, and I was hoping to find something similar. Rules that are somewhat crunchy and give solid combat that is still quick to learn, without getting in the way of the out of combat silliness the group gets up to.

I've been looking at FFd6, which seems more along their pace, but I've heard some... flaky things about, and FFRPG SeeD, which looks neat, but might be a little too complex for them, but is what we are currently leaning towards. System doesn't HAVE to be dedicated to FF, of course. Just easily adaptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Have a look at Anima Prime and see if it works for you-- it sounds pretty close. If nothing else, it's free.

http://www.animaprimerpg.com/