Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Lawman 0 posted:

I was expecting something special for sacrificing the freaking Pope. :sigh:

The Metalocalypse has begun. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
My Magyar start wasn't too promising, as the Bulgarians beat me, but since then I've spent a lot of time building ships and turning into the Vikings of the Black Sea.

On one of my raids, I discovered a mysterious metal box. I was really sad when it didn't turn out to be the Ark of the Covenant.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Amnistar posted:

So for anyone that wants to play as Norse traders but doesn't know how to change the starting nations...

You can start as the non senior member of one if the trade republics and use conquest CB to take enough territory to make a duchy then sue for independence. You can set up shop wherever you want since you can conquest any coastal territory and after taking 2-3 counties you can over power anything your doge will send at you.

Ah, nice tip. I was wondering how starting as a non doge family worked.

I've had an easy time beating the Bulgarians. I just put all my troops into one stack and then start sieging/assaulting the main holdings. Eventually the Bulgarians send a big but smaller army to stop you. They mostly go for my capital in my games. I then maneuver until I can hit their army. Nothing to it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lawman 0 posted:

Actually im not sure if I should feel very proud of myself since the pope is not the vassal of anyone and is basically sitting in rome watching all his gold pile up until I send my goons to break in for a bit of smash and grab.

This is the main reason I haven't conquered it yet. It's fun to burn it down every couple of decades; keeps them on their toes. That, and I hope I can trigger a crusade come the 12th century once I finally do.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I don't know. I DON'T KNOW. :psyboom:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

QuoProQuid posted:

I don't know. I DON'T KNOW. :psyboom:

I do know one thing, and that is that the Miknasids are utterly boned once all of those sons grow up and get their four wives apiece.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Is there a time limit between Jihads/Crusades? I have over a 1000 piety and a 100 moral authority and the truce has worn off.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

Is there a time limit between Jihads/Crusades? I have over a 1000 piety and a 100 moral authority and the truce has worn off.

Once per life.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
My heir is a prisoner in a foreign land. How do I get him out?

And is there a website or wiki that explains what causes people to get nicknames? My last three kings were known as "The Careless," "The Wicked," and "The Unready" respectively (that last one is a misnomer because he ended up putting down like eight rebellions, ruling for 45 years, conquering a holy land relic, and ended with a score of like 15000), and I'd like to know what I did to earn these nicknames.

EDIT: Found the nicknames thing. Apparently my guy was "Unready" because he was arbitrary. gently caress that drat arbitrary trait forever and ever.

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 23, 2013

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Once per life.

Huh does that count if you FINISH it but didn't call it?

My Caliph died in the Jihad, his child son took over and then won it. Can the now grown-up Caliph not call another Jihad?

Sheen Sheen posted:

My heir is a prisoner in a foreign land. How do I get him out?

Send him enough money for him to pay his way out. Or can you pay the ransom yourself? I forget. Check the diplomacy menu of whoever holds your heir.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

How do you guys use your Councillors for research? I know you have to put them in places you want tech to spread *to*, but I'm not quite sure when it's worth doing it. The last thing I really need is playing backwards wack-a-mole everytime my capital advances.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bloody Pancreas posted:

How do you guys use your Councillors for research? I know you have to put them in places you want tech to spread *to*, but I'm not quite sure when it's worth doing it. The last thing I really need is playing backwards wack-a-mole everytime my capital advances.

Uhhh...what? Stick councillors in your capital and let your technology spread naturally. Put spymaster in constantinople (or Sinope at the game start) and forget about it. Boom. You are now probably wiping the floor with the AI in terms of tech.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Rejected Fate posted:

I know for Pagan Great Holy Wars it's a 30 year cooldown and each head of religion can only call one in his/her lifetime. So, if Crusades and Jihads are the same, you need to wait 30 years and get a new religious head.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm taking over some areas in the Ireland part of the world in my new game. Things are going great, then I suddenly get a message "Enemy has called in allies". Ok no big deal, no one shows up. Then BAM 6000 troops (twice what I have) show up and start beating my rear end all over the place. Turns out he was buds with King Harald.

First, how do I find this stuff out before hand?

Second, what do I do? Haralds army is stronger than anyone elses on the island!

Edit: Also, with the granting of Duchy's.. I just created one and gave it to a guy and it became a separate kingdom with NO loyalty to me! What the heck!? How do I make other people dukes, but have them loyal to me?

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 23, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Uhhh...what? Stick councillors in your capital and let your technology spread naturally. Put spymaster in constantinople (or Sinope at the game start) and forget about it. Boom. You are now probably wiping the floor with the AI in terms of tech.

Tech system's changed. Councillors don't improve the capital anymore since you spend tech points in the capital to improve it there(At Duke level or above). Councillors improve tech spread.

quote:

Check the person you intend to go to war with. There's an 'Allies' tab.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 23, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jastiger posted:

1) There's an Allies tab on every character page, which should list everyone who might potentially show up to ruin your day.

2) You might be able to raise relations with King Harald enough that he likes you more than your target (which will reduce the chances of him accepting a call to war.)

If the war has already started, you can still kill one of your target, King Harald, or (possibly) either of the couple whose marriage is allying them, and the alliance will cease to be a problem.

Another alternative: mercenaries.

Bloodly posted:

Tech system's changed. Councillors don't improve the capital anymore since you spend tech points in the capital to improve it there(At Duke level or above). Councillors improve tech spread.

I believe the "positive results" changes from councillor research will give you tech points in the capital now, so they still do improve the capital indirectly (as well as tech spread).

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Jastiger posted:

So I'm taking over some areas in the Ireland part of the world in my new game. Things are going great, then I suddenly get a message "Enemy has called in allies". Ok no big deal, no one shows up. Then BAM 6000 troops (twice what I have) show up and start beating my rear end all over the place. Turns out he was buds with King Harald.

Each character has an "allies" tab, in the same place that you can see their vassals/court/family. They can't always call everyone there to war: they either have to both be independent, or both have the same liege. Additionally, holy wars can result in non-allied neighbors joining in to defend their faith.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the replies. I figured it out and have begun marrying my daughters off to them.

Edit: Also, with the granting of Duchy's.. I just created one and gave it to a guy and it became a separate kingdom with NO loyalty to me! What the heck!? How do I make other people dukes, but have them loyal to me?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Jastiger posted:

You have to be a level above them, can't grant them a title equal to yourself. So you'd have to be a king to have dukes as vassals and an emperor to have vassal kings. You're better off not making more than a few ducal titles until you're ready to be a king because your counts will be jealous, and don't let any counts get enough land to make the duchy themselves. It used to be more worth it to make it early since you only needed 50% of the land to make the title and to press de jure claims for the rest instead of 51% but now if you're got 51% of a duchy it's pretty much already yours.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 23, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well I am petty king of Munster, and I want to make a Duchty of Leichester to give to my jealous younger son. It would give him land, but he wouldn't be King. I'm afraid to because I think it'll make him independent of me. Is that right? Is Petty King equal to a duchy?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
drat it, I just picked this game up again after about a year of not playing it, and it's bad enough that they nerfed my "brown people in Scandinavia" nonsense, but when did they change it so you can't have Absolute Cognatic inheritance unless you're Basque? Is there an easy way to mod that crap out?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jastiger posted:

Well I am petty king of Munster, and I want to make a Duchty of Leichester to give to my jealous younger son. It would give him land, but he wouldn't be King. I'm afraid to because I think it'll make him independent of me. Is that right? Is Petty King equal to a duchy?

Petty Kingdoms are equal-level to duchies, yes: you need to be a just-plain king (of Ireland, in your case) in order to grant duchies/petty-kingdoms and still keep them vassals to you.

Coolguye posted:

when did they change it so you can't have Absolute Cognatic inheritance unless you're Basque? Is there an easy way to mod that crap out?

It was actually this way on release, everybody just modded it out or changed the requirement to one that made sense. The requirement is under true_cognatic_succession in decisions/succession_laws.txt, install a mod that changes it (CK2+ does, I'm sure most other major mods do as well) or edit the file yourself to remove the culture = basque line.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dallan Invictus posted:

It was actually this way on release, everybody just modded it out or changed the requirement to one that made sense. The requirement is under true_cognatic_succession in decisions/succession_laws.txt, install a mod that changes it (CK2+ does, I'm sure most other major mods do as well) or edit the file yourself to remove the culture = basque line.
Must not be remembering properly then. Thanks for the shout-out on where it is, though, I'm not scared to mod it out myself.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Coolguye posted:

drat it, I just picked this game up again after about a year of not playing it, and it's bad enough that they nerfed my "brown people in Scandinavia" nonsense, but when did they change it so you can't have Absolute Cognatic inheritance unless you're Basque? Is there an easy way to mod that crap out?

You can grab the 'Girl Power' mod posted a couple pages back. It also lets ladies hold council positions under Absolute Cognatic if they have a suitable education.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
One of the biggest Muslim kingdoms has my last name.

How could I NOT play as them! :woop:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So I've run into a weird bug... some where down the line I lost the Sayyid trait. No idea how. I checked and I should have it.

Is there a console command for me to regain it?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Is there any way to roll back a patch on Steam? I really want to play my awesome Game of Thrones mod. :sigh:

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

The mod should be compatible with the current patch.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?610007-Mod-A-Game-of-Thrones-%28external-links-are-not-allowed%29

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for all the help. I just unified Ireland into one big Kingdom. Just handing out titles to angry lords.

From here what should I do? My daughter (Princess of Ireland BAM!) is married to some Duke that I think got killed/captured in the crusades over in England. Should I start trying to press claims there (I can with one of my vassals) or should I just chill with Ireland?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jastiger posted:

Thanks for all the help. I just unified Ireland into one big Kingdom. Just handing out titles to angry lords.

From here what should I do? My daughter (Princess of Ireland BAM!) is married to some Duke that I think got killed/captured in the crusades over in England. Should I start trying to press claims there (I can with one of my vassals) or should I just chill with Ireland?

Whatever you want to do. Set some distant, ambitious, faraway goal. Want to wear an emperor's hat? Aim to form the Empire of Britannia! Or roleplay as a king in Ireland. Whatever you like! Switch over to one of your lords and see if you can usurp this kingdom and pass it to your own dynasty. Set up an antipope and reign over your twilight kingdom for hundreds of years, watching the edifice of Catholicism slowly crumble into the ash-heap of history.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bloodly posted:

So putting councillors in your cap does nothing? I assumed that it increases the rate that you accumulate points. Is there somewhere that breaks down how it works?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Knuc If U Buck posted:

So putting councillors in your cap does nothing? I assumed that it increases the rate that you accumulate points. Is there somewhere that breaks down how it works?
It just increases the rate at which tech spreads naturally to a low-tech province from a high-tech one.

This means, most realistically, that you probably want to have a demesne mostly adjacent to your capital (which is going to be the highest-tech province in any fairly established realm), so you can plant the councilors there. It also means that the lord spiritual tech spread job is basically worthless, since I don't think any cultural tech has any impact anywhere but in the capital.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to march on Scotland and I have like 15 different little armies. How do I combine them all into one big army?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

It just increases the rate at which tech spreads naturally to a low-tech province from a high-tech one.

This means, most realistically, that you probably want to have a demesne mostly adjacent to your capital (which is going to be the highest-tech province in any fairly established realm), so you can plant the councilors there. It also means that the lord spiritual tech spread job is basically worthless, since I don't think any cultural tech has any impact anywhere but in the capital.

Isn't there an event to get a lump of cultural tech from the councillor?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Trying to march on Scotland and I have like 15 different little armies. How do I combine them all into one big army?

Select them all when they're in the same province and hit the button that looks like [-><-]. Make sure to appoint leaders for each army flank!

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I kind of wish Paradox would do something to nerf doomstacks.
War is decided by whoever can manage to stack the most troops on one provence and merge them all together. It'd be more interesting if you were forced to manage 2 or 3 armies rather than just one huge one.
I know provinces have supply limits to discourage monster stacks, but still that doesn't start to kick in until your army is huge enough to annihilate anything in its way.

I'm thinking they should make it so the smaller army inflicts more damage. The outcomes of battles are always lopsided.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I kind of wish Paradox would do something to nerf doomstacks.
War is decided by whoever can manage to stack the most troops on one provence and merge them all together. It'd be more interesting if you were forced to manage 2 or 3 armies rather than just one huge one.
I know provinces have supply limits to discourage monster stacks, but still that doesn't start to kick in until your army is huge enough to annihilate anything in its way.

I'm thinking they should make it so the smaller army inflicts more damage. The outcomes of battles are always lopsided.

I like it the way it is. Warring in these games is garbage and CK2 does it right, by making it as simple as possible, but with the option to sperg over terrain/unit composition if you please.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Golden Horde appears, delcares on the Ilkhanate, loses, and never gets a single county. Maybe Timurid will do better.

Ilkhanate have been strangely good neighbors and stopped going north after taking Cumania. We've never fought despite sharing a massive border (Russian Empire) unless you count my vassals annoying them with raids all the time. They seem to be happy to keep kicking the poo poo out of the Muslims in the south while ignoring me. v:shobon:v

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 23, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm sorry to be abother, but this game is totally hard for a noob like me.

Ok So, I marched on Scotland and beat his rear end and stole his princess. I was fighting to press a claim on the Isles. Well I won and bam, one of my courtiers is now leader of the isles and I'm just kind of left holding an empty bag. What gives? Why can't *I* take the isles? I fought the drat war!

Also, I'm King of Ireland, and I want to take over Scotland since I am stronger and richer. Do I need to wait for a fabricated claim or do I have to do the slow process of marrying in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Hmm sorry to be abother, but this game is totally hard for a noob like me.

Ok So, I marched on Scotland and beat his rear end and stole his princess. I was fighting to press a claim on the Isles. Well I won and bam, one of my courtiers is now leader of the isles and I'm just kind of left holding an empty bag. What gives? Why can't *I* take the isles? I fought the drat war!

Also, I'm King of Ireland, and I want to take over Scotland since I am stronger and richer. Do I need to wait for a fabricated claim or do I have to do the slow process of marrying in?

If you push the claims of someone and keep them as a vassal, they need to be in your dynasty or a de jure vassal and the pressed title must be lower than your highest title. I'm guessing you pressed some random dudes claim. You can check beforehand to see if you will keep the vassal by mousing over the declare war button and it will tell you what happens if you win.

EDIT: If that princess you stole has an inheritable claim on Scotland and you are an awesome pagan, you can always just make her a concubine until she produces a kid. Then execute her and press her kid's claim and manipulate your succession so he inherits your kingdom too.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 23, 2013

• Locked thread