Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I read once that during the filming of The Shining, Kubrick routinely called up King in the early hours of the morning to ask him questions like that.

But just because there is no one "correct" interpretation, that doesn't mean that all interpretations are equally valid. Sure you can argue that Disney's Snow White is about the horrors of WWI, but without some drat good supporting evidence, it's just kind of crazy.

CD is doing the Subtext Game. Maybe you'd enjoy checking that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

CantDecideOnAName posted:

CD is doing the Subtext Game. Maybe you'd enjoy checking that out.

I'll check that out later, yeah.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Atmus posted:

I hope this is true. I really want to believe Kubrick was up to go to the bathroom and decided to mess with King, but that King was like super creeped out by it.

One of the only times someone out-creeped Stephen King, but he only did it out of boredom as a joke.

There is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98qcNZ8Fz0

I remember one of Rob Agers Shinning videos having a similar Stephen King clip in it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I'll check that out later, yeah.

Don't wait too long, yesterday was when it was suppose to start. The movies and subtexts haven't been handed out yet so you might have time if you do it real quick: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554270

Terminal Entropy has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Jun 22, 2013

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Duke of Ben posted:

It's great, because he gets to be factually accurate in a subtle way about saving his family, but also appeal to his ego at the same time. He's never a good person, he's never not-flawed, but he does try to make things better. As always, he also overemphasizes his own role in things improving and downplays his role in making it bad in the first place. He also managed to get exactly what he wanted (outdoing the earlier tombstone), rather than what his family may have wanted (honesty).

(Royal Tenenbaums)
What was up with Luke Wilson saying "Tomorrow I'm going to kill myself" and then immediately proceeding to slash his wrists?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Not strictly a movie but the BBC's 1995 seminal Pride and Prejudice apart from being a modern classic (etc.) has some of the absolutely finest coarse acting.

Readers of this thread will then not be surprised that is by Lucy Davis (of Shaun of the Dead). It is hard to imagine once you have noticed it that it wasn't done with the full complicity of the director, producer and editor. Her character, Maria Lucas, is such a small part that it was one of those omitted entirely from the 2005 Keira Knightly feature (of Pride and Prejudice). Not daunted by having no dialogue or real role in a scene that she appears in Lucy manages to do something to catch the eye in a 100% upstage sense. I spoilered this because once noticed it can not be unnoticed and is indeed subtle to the point that until seen it is unremarkable. Once seen however it may detract from your pleasure in the original as either a distraction or a cause of laughter.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Cartoon posted:

Not strictly a movie but the BBC's 1995 seminal Pride and Prejudice apart from being a modern classic (etc.) has some of the absolutely finest coarse acting.

Readers of this thread will then not be surprised that is by Lucy Davis (of Shaun of the Dead). It is hard to imagine once you have noticed it that it wasn't done with the full complicity of the director, producer and editor. Her character, Maria Lucas, is such a small part that it was one of those omitted entirely from the 2005 Keira Knightly feature (of Pride and Prejudice). Not daunted by having no dialogue or real role in a scene that she appears in Lucy manages to do something to catch the eye in a 100% upstage sense. I spoilered this because once noticed it can not be unnoticed and is indeed subtle to the point that until seen it is unremarkable. Once seen however it may detract from your pleasure in the original as either a distraction or a cause of laughter.

Can you like... tell us more? I don't want to go watch Pride and Prejudice.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just finished watching Dredd for the first time. There was one shot (when he uses the incendiary round across the atrium) that reminded me strongly of this iconic image of a war crime. The angle they're coming in, the locations of the people, it felt pretty deliberate anyway, especially since burning those dudes was totally unnecessary. I thought it was in line with the... questionable... morality of the Judge system and Dredd in particular - I've never read the comics so maybe I'm reading too much into this and should stay out of D&D for a while. Anyway Dredd is certainly a hosed-up dude and it would seem to fit with the overall themes that they would try to evoke that connection.

Chard has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Jun 22, 2013

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So if Kubrick was such a perfectionist what was with the shadow of the helicopter in the opening titles?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

fuckpot posted:

So if Kubrick was such a perfectionist what was with the shadow of the helicopter in the opening titles?

Some people have said the shadow was some nod from him to look further/deeper or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chard posted:

Just finished watching Dredd for the first time. There was one shot (when he uses the incendiary round across the atrium) that reminded me strongly of this iconic image of a war crime. The angle they're coming in, the locations of the people, it felt pretty deliberate anyway, especially since burning those dudes was totally unnecessary. I thought it was in line with the... questionable... morality of the Judge system and Dredd in particular - I've never read the comics so maybe I'm reading too much into this and should stay out of D&D for a while. Anyway Dredd is certainly a hosed-up dude and it would seem to fit with the overall themes that they would try to evoke that connection.

I don't think you're reading too much into it at all - sure the particular shot probably isn't a direct reference to that but you're spot on about Dredd being a monster. The movie makes no bones about the fact that he's just as bad as Ma-Ma (she herself points it out at the end of the film), but the difference between the two of them is that Dredd is on the "right" side of the law and she is on the wrong side (no quotation marks there!). Many of their actions are mirrored by the other throughout the film - addressing the people over the PA to remind them who is in charge; public displays of violence; the punishment each dishes out involve dropping people 200 floors and making them experience it in slow motion etc. At one point Anderson notes that one of the henchmen is a victim, not a criminal, and lets him go, but if you consider what you know about Ma-Ma's history, she was just as much a victim too, albeit one who took control of her life and made sure she'd never be a victim again.

Having just watched the movie again recently, I only just noticed that Dredd refers to Anderson as rookie through much of the first half of the film, then after she starts to show her chops he starts calling her Anderson, but then after she makes the decision noted in the spoiler above he goes back to calling her rookie. I like that even with all the madness that is going on, Dredd never once loses sight of the fact that she's under evaluation.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

Professor Shark posted:

(Royal Tenenbaums)
What was up with Luke Wilson saying "Tomorrow I'm going to kill myself" and then immediately proceeding to slash his wrists?

It's from 1963's The Fire Within. The main character has a bad time.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Professor Shark posted:

(Royal Tenenbaums)

This doesn't answer your question but with regard to the suicide scene, isn't shaving and cleaning up something a non-negligible number of suicide victims do?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

fuckpot posted:

Shot in 1.33 and later matted, so supposedly it didn't appear in the original theatrical release.

Of course there's a big sperglord argument about this too, as always.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also I've heard that while Kubrick was shooting in 1.33 because he anticipated the home video market, he was framing for 1.66(?) and not even really looking at the dailies in 1.33.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
I heard it the other way round. Kubrick specifically framed The Shining for 1.33 because he hated cropping and letterboxing on TVs. He wanted to release something that people would be able to watch on TV/home video without problems, but couldn't predict the rise of widescreen TVs. He had to have a 1.85 version for cinematic release - many cinemas wouldn't even be able to screen a regular 1.33 print. So he framed for 1.33 and shot on 1.85. If you watch one of the widescreen versions, you'll notice it if you're looking - there's never anything happening at the edges of the screen because the whole thing is being framed in the smaller box in the centre.

I quite like the full-frame version. I think it adds to the claustrophobia of the film. A lot of the visuals in The Shining are dependent on size, and I think that some of the internal shots of the hotel are weakened when opened out. But if I were screening it for friends I'd go with widescreen because not everyone's a sperg.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
Something I noticed in Constantine (possibly because I'm the only person who watched it more than once) is when going up to an apartment to perform an exorcism the image on the television next to the stairs mimics John Constantine's movements, most notably the black cloud/smoke that is suggested to follow him.

Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Apparently Lucy Davis does something subtle in Pride & Prejudice...?

Yeah, can you clarify? I'm willing to risk it detracting from my pleasure. Maria Lucas is in the background of a lot of scenes.

At least tell us the episode and/or give the general gist of what's actually happening in the scene.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Roger Tangerines posted:

I heard it the other way round. Kubrick specifically framed The Shining for 1.33 because he hated cropping and letterboxing on TVs. He wanted to release something that people would be able to watch on TV/home video without problems, but couldn't predict the rise of widescreen TVs. He had to have a 1.85 version for cinematic release - many cinemas wouldn't even be able to screen a regular 1.33 print. So he framed for 1.33 and shot on 1.85. If you watch one of the widescreen versions, you'll notice it if you're looking - there's never anything happening at the edges of the screen because the whole thing is being framed in the smaller box in the centre.

I quite like the full-frame version. I think it adds to the claustrophobia of the film. A lot of the visuals in The Shining are dependent on size, and I think that some of the internal shots of the hotel are weakened when opened out. But if I were screening it for friends I'd go with widescreen because not everyone's a sperg.

No, he shot it so the full frame of 1.33 was appearing on the film and the version released to cinemas was letterboxed from that. That's why in a few shots you can see things like the shadow of the helicopter at the top or bottom of the frame in the full screen version; he was thinking about the wider screen but printing more on to the film so that nothing of his vision would be removed from the TV edit.

Goofus Giraffe
Sep 26, 2007

bettsta posted:

In filming the Shining, wasn't Kubrick really careful not to let the kid who played Danny know it was supposed to be scary? I remember hearing that he would tell the actor to act happy, act sad, and act scared, then just use the take where he was scared. Is this confirmed in a documentary or anything?

I was at a screening of The Shining recently, and the guy introducing the film brought this up and told this anecdote: he had spoken with a relative of Danny Lloyd's (sister or cousin, I can't recall), who said that Lloyd absolutely refuses to talk about the film at all. So, regardless of Kubrick protecting the kid or not, according to this (which I wish I had an actual citation for), he did not end up having a good experience.

Also, apparently Danny Lloyd is a biology professor at a community college somewhere now. His relative said that a student once did the finger-talking thing to him, and Lloyd failed the kid immediately.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of actor professors, Peter Weller teaches Renaissance history at UCLA and supposedly he runs students through the wringer at the beginning of each course in order to weed out anyone who takes the class just because of Professor Robocop.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It's an old P.I. trick.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Goofus Giraffe posted:

I was at a screening of The Shining recently, and the guy introducing the film brought this up and told this anecdote: he had spoken with a relative of Danny Lloyd's (sister or cousin, I can't recall), who said that Lloyd absolutely refuses to talk about the film at all. So, regardless of Kubrick protecting the kid or not, according to this (which I wish I had an actual citation for), he did not end up having a good experience.

Or maybe he doesn't want people's ideas of him to depend on one thing he did when he was a kid. It's understandable. Being famous for movies is something most healthy people don't seek.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Goofus Giraffe posted:

Also, apparently Danny Lloyd is a biology professor at a community college somewhere now. His relative said that a student once did the finger-talking thing to him, and Lloyd failed the kid immediately.

That's rude of the student, but if that's what actually happened he's a pretty lovely professor.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of actor professors, Peter Weller teaches Renaissance history at UCLA and supposedly he runs students through the wringer at the beginning of each course in order to weed out anyone who takes the class just because of Professor Robocop.

Syracuse. He was a student at UCLA

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Aubergine Despot posted:

Yeah, can you clarify? I'm willing to risk it detracting from my pleasure. Maria Lucas is in the background of a lot of scenes.

At least tell us the episode and/or give the general gist of what's actually happening in the scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLSPQEv2cwc&t=777s

Only watch till 13:00. She is on the far left of the background group dressed in Yellow. This is her first frontal appearance in a scene and her identity is not known. It is subtle enough but 'good' coarse acting draws the eye without being obvious. This is just the first of a huge number.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

That's rude of the student, but if that's what actually happened he's a pretty lovely professor.

Chances are pretty good he has a "yes I am _______ no do not mention it" thing in his syllabus. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you pull without warning

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cartoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLSPQEv2cwc&t=777s

Only watch till 13:00. She is on the far left of the background group dressed in Yellow. This is her first frontal appearance in a scene and her identity is not known. It is subtle enough but 'good' coarse acting draws the eye without being obvious. This is just the first of a huge number.

Hilariously, that link is blocked in the UK. Luckily my mother has the thing on DVD. Episode 1, first 13 minutes?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Hilariously, that link is blocked in the UK. Luckily my mother has the thing on DVD. Episode 1, first 13 minutes?

The clip starts at 12:57, so not the entire first 13 minutes, just from then to 13:00.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
I watched Flight (2012) last night, and happened to notice this one:

After Whip gets wasted the night before the NTSB hearing, and Harling Mays is called to administer an emergency dose of cocaine, Whip is travelling in an elevator and you hear a muzak version of 'With A Little Help From My Friends'

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Double Plus Good posted:

Are there any other film analysis sites like Collative Learning you guys could recommend? I like reading about people's in-depth theories on movies, even if they're kind of out there. And before you ask, yes, I've googled for it, but all the sites that come up are for reviews, not analysis. I'm not looking for some dude's critical opinion on a film, but for some dude's analysis and break-down of the symbolism and hidden meanings in it. (for example, I googled "interesting film analysis" and the first result was "funny movie reviews." that is like the opposite of what I want, google!!)
I think this was in the thread already somewhere but the Skywalker paradigm is a really fun alternate viewing of the original trilogy of star wars. The last I saw it it was unfinished though.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

C.P.A.N. posted:

Something I noticed in Constantine (possibly because I'm the only person who watched it more than once) is when going up to an apartment to perform an exorcism the image on the television next to the stairs mimics John Constantine's movements, most notably the black cloud/smoke that is suggested to follow him.

I really liked Constantine. It wasn't a good HellBlazer translation but it was a fun interpretation of the character and lore. Peter Stormare steals the movie with five minutes of screentime as Satan.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Fun fact. I learned about Carthage Delenda Est from Peter Weller

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

I really liked Constantine. It wasn't a good HellBlazer translation but it was a fun interpretation of the character and lore. Peter Stormare steals the movie with five minutes of screentime as Satan.

I'm fine with a lot of the changes except for the one at the end where he quits smoking. That's just fundamentally misunderstanding Constantine's character.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I'm fine with a lot of the changes except for the one at the end where he quits smoking. That's just fundamentally misunderstanding Constantine's character.

I'm actually totally cool with not having every comic book movie end with returning to the status quo with the character unchanged and nothing disturbed for fear of upsetting The Canon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm actually totally cool with not having every comic book movie end with returning to the status quo with the character unchanged and nothing disturbed for fear of upsetting The Canon.

It has nothing to do with that, the whole point of John Constantine's character is bad decisions and not learning his lesson.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Yeah, you donk, it's not canon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Supreme Allah posted:

I thought Constantine was a pretty good movie so long as you don't equate it in any way to the original source material. Pretend it's just an original property movie called Constantine, forget that Hellblazer exists and you end up with an okay if not particularly memorable film.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bunnyofdoom posted:

Fun fact. I learned about Carthage Delenda Est from Peter Weller

Carthago :smug:

I learnt about it from Asterix. And it was before Wikipedia, so I had NFI what it meant.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jerusalem posted:

I thought Constantine was a pretty good movie so long as you don't equate it in any way to the original source material.

It's entertaining if you pretend it's a quasi-sequel to The Devil's Advocate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just watched Cabin in the Woods for the first time, and I kind of like to think that when Hadley says his wife is jinxing them so they'll never have kids, well, he's technically right! Just not in the way he thinks.