Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

ViggyNash posted:

I'm just curious, but what shows have had really good OPs and EDs? I'm watching Durarara!! right now and I absolutely love both the OP and ED.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has pretty much the most consistently-quality set of OPs and EDs in existence. Bakemonogatari is similar. Eureka Seven comes close. Others:

Hyouka (except first ending)
Working!! (the show itself is far more debatable)
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! (Actually anything KyoAni does is a potential candidate for this list)
Persona 4 the Animation
Little Busters!
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (particularly if you're a fan of Yes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

I'm just curious, but what shows have had really good OPs and EDs? I'm watching Durarara!! right now and I absolutely love both the OP and ED.
That would need an entire thread dedicated to it to discuss, really. Which I've think do exist somewhere in the archives.

Personally, gun to my head I think the best Anime OP ever made is the one from Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd GIG. I'd link it but all of the youtube versions are messed up. E: Seems to be fine in the first 1:30 of this.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 22, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Another Durarara!! question that's also kinda unrelated: In episode 7 Sizuo looks up at a billboard with a bunch of shows on it. I recognized Darker than Black in the left side center, and Baccano! in the middle, but are the others references (except for the non-reference one Shizuo looks at) also?

Nate RFB posted:

Personally, gun to my head I think the best Anime OP ever made is the one from Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd GIG. I'd link it but all of the youtube versions are messed up. E: Seems to be fine in the first 1:30 of this.

I actually never thought much of that op. Personally, I never liked Rise that much, but it's still a decent song. It also feels overshadowed by how fantastic a song Inner Universe was and how well edited the silly CG was to fit with the song. Hate me for it, but I personally liked the Inner Universe op better. And the Durarara!! op for that matter.

I also just watched a couple of the FMA:B OPs and I agree they are fantastic.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 22, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Escaflowne still has my favourite OP, though I am an unrepentant Yoko Kanno fanboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KoL7__Bmyg

Amazing song and sets the tone for the whole series (genki girl, pretty boys, feathers and mecha dragons).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ViggyNash posted:

My favourite because I adore geometric shapes and a nice tune to go with them: Tatami Galaxy ED.

Pure cheese that captures the show really well - City Hunter OP.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've also been partial to various Masumi Ito OPs/EDs like Asumanga Daioh, Humanity has Declined, and RDG (ED at least). Her voice always perks me up because it's so surreal and dreamy, and unique enough that I pretty much recognize it the instant I hear it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Confession: I couldn't name a single voice actor/singer apart from Kanno and Watamoto. I recognise voices between series, but I never find out their names.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tsuritama has one of my favorite semi-recent OPs. The show itself rules too, so everyone should watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVY7gylrxk4

Maybe we're due for another favorite Openings and Endings thread? Not sure this is the best place for them.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This season has two great examples: Valvrave for great traditional openings and endings, and Flowers of Evil for playing around with the format. Oh, and Attack on Titan.

You should also check out Haibane Renmei, the composer for the series is Kow Otani, who did great stuff with Shadow of the Colossus.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chas McGill posted:

Confession: I couldn't name a single voice actor/singer apart from Kanno and Watamoto. I recognise voices between series, but I never find out their names.

I recognise a few people but I can never remember anyone's names. The most obvious ones for me (because they're in loving everything) are known as 'that guy who played Zorro' and 'that guy who played Jet Black'.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I only know Masumi Ito's name because it kept irking me that the op for Asumanga sounded so similar to the ed for Humanity has Declined even though the music was composed by different people, so I looked it up and the singer, Masumi Ito, had sung both.

a kitten posted:

Maybe we're due for another favorite Openings and Endings thread? Not sure this is the best place for them.

I'd be down for that. I'm guessing there was one in the past that was decent.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I saw it a long time ago, and my recollection is that it was fine, if nothing especially fantastic.

Mason Dixon posted:

Agreed. Though I think the last arc is actually pretty good.

Thanks, I think I'll skip it. I saw it in the shop for cheaper than a 1-cour show, so I guess it must have sold pretty badly.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
This is the Recommendation thread, not the random questions thread. Make a thread if you want to talk about other things.

Come on folks. You know this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Alright, Durarara!! is now my favorite show. The fact that the password to the DOLLARS website was "Baccano" is beyond amazing.

Are there any other spiritual successors like Durarara!! is to Baccano! that have pulled off these kinds of meta-shenanigans?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Er. I'm not sure where else to post this and it honestly doesn't deserve a thread of it's own, but would anyone recommend the Persona 4 anime, or should I stick to the games and LPs instead?

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Artificer posted:

Er. I'm not sure where else to post this and it honestly doesn't deserve a thread of it's own, but would anyone recommend the Persona 4 anime, or should I stick to the games and LPs instead?

Personally I would do the games first, since they're fantastic RPGs and The Golden has a bunch of new stuff that the anime never touches upon (which is justified in that the anime came before The Golden). The anime is just a cool thing that compliments the game but should still be watched afterwards because they took some neat directions like giving Yuu a likable personality. The anime also really rushes through things, especially the true end OVA which is kind of mess which is why it's better just to do the games first.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I am otacon, I have watched all the animes. What is the best anime to rewatch that has cool details or foreshadowing?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Artificer posted:

Please play persona 4, it is a really good game. The anime is okay if you've already played the game.

rvm
May 6, 2013
It's worth watching just for all the Yu hijinks (warning: spoilers). But, yeah, play the game first if you can.

rvm fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 23, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Please play persona 4, it is a really good game. The anime is okay if you've already played the game.

Or if you don't have 40 hours or so to spend on something.
I thought the anime was pretty alright. My buddy, who loves persona, wasn't a huge fan of the 4th game but thought the anime was great, for what it's worth. Atlas games for me are very neat but hard to keep my attention for the length they require.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

DamnGlitch posted:

Or if you don't have 40 hours or so to spend on something.
I thought the anime was pretty alright. My buddy, who loves persona, wasn't a huge fan of the 4th game but thought the anime was great, for what it's worth. Atlas games for me are very neat but hard to keep my attention for the length they require.

I have a friend of mine who thought the complete opposite. He loves P4 and thought the anime was total poo poo. Personally I can't get into the games because I find that the dungeons, without any real puzzles to solve, are far too grindy.

Personally I think the anime is definitely worth watching just for the aforementioned Narukami splendor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Artificer posted:

I didn't buy Persona 4 itself, but i did watch the Giant Bomb Endurance Run, which a lot of folks swear by. Jeff Gerstmann and Vinny Caravella are a great pair and both really funny(aside from during grinding parts and most Persona-crafting parts). They started these in February 2009, and played it for a bit once a day until they beat it at around 155 episodes.

Full P4 ER playlist

After watching that, despite them not naming the protagonist Charlie Tunoku in the anime, I enjoyed it a lot(especially because the anime tends to follow the same sort of character choices Vinny/Jeff made ingame). But I'd say it's definitely way more enjoyable if you've already watched a playthrough/played through the game first, though the game is looooooooong. Like minimum 60 hours I'd say unless you're blitzing through it and know everything already.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd really recommend playing it rather than watching a LP. It's a great game! Especially The Golden, which was my pick for the best game of 2012.

Poniard posted:

I am otacon, I have watched all the animes. What is the best anime to rewatch that has cool details or foreshadowing?
Monster, I suppose. Anything with episodes that deal with different periods of time of the narrative, like Haruhi or Baccano!. The VNs for Higurashi and Umineko are pretty fascinating the second time through where you now know the tricks and secrets of the mysteries ahead of time.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think he was asking that seriously...

e: Is the Clannad movie worth watching, or should I skip straight to After Story?

e2: Also, is the dub worth it?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 23, 2013

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Clannad has two full TV series. I'd strongly recommend them over the movie if you know that you'll like the show. The movie has a very different feel from the show and it's not really that good.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Are there any more shows where a romantic relationship actually starts and develops as the show is still going? You know, instead of just starting right as the show ends. I haven't seen much, the only thing I can think of is Sword Art Online.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Barent posted:

Are there any more shows where a romantic relationship actually starts and develops as the show is still going? You know, instead of just starting right as the show ends. I haven't seen much, the only thing I can think of is Sword Art Online.

One of my favorite shows that has this focus is Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou aka KareKano / His or Her Circumstances. It's a very good show that mainly focuses on one couple who get their relationship started quite early in the series and then will switch to other couples after their relationship becomes more developed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Barent posted:

A decent number of shoujo shows do this. Kimi ni Todoke, Lovely Complex, and the aforementioned Kare Kano come to mind. Funny coincidence but CLANNAD is also like this.

E: Bonnouji as well, duh.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 24, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Barent posted:

"Recommending" is probably too strong a word, but there's Severing Crime Edge.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Barent posted:

Paradise Kiss and NANA are fantastic shows. Big downside to them is in the first show's case the ending was rushed a bit, and in the second show's case it never finished, but still drat good regardless.

(The manga for PK is pretty much incredible and has no flaws, but the NANA manga is still unfinished thanks to the author having major health problems and is uncertain if she will ever return, but has drawn a teeny tiny bit since then which is hopeful)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nate RFB posted:

A decent number of shoujo shows do this. Kimi ni Todoke...
I'm halfway through the first season of this and I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm not really into the genre and I tend to avoid high school animes, but I'm enjoying Kimi ni Todoke. It has the same bullshit fumbling romance as so many other shows, but something about it appeals to me despite that. The character designs are decent and the dialogue is animated with humour and verve - at times it actually reminds me a tiny bit of Tatami Galaxy (nowhere near as good, though!). Chizu and Ayane are great characters.

All that said, I think they missed a golden opportunity to make a show about a female version of the protagonist from Angel Densetsu.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 24, 2013

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Barent posted:

Definitely Chihayafuru.

Watch it.

Chihaya's unparalleled love for Karuta really develops over both seasons, and it begins from the very first episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite anime series is Slayers (although I've not watched the two most recent series, despite asking about them in the second or third post in this thread), so can anybody recommend something that might be similar to it, maybe something which includes humour (optionally) as well as adventure and doesn't drag on for ages?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

My favourite anime series is Slayers (although I've not watched the two most recent series, despite asking about them in the second or third post in this thread), so can anybody recommend something that might be similar to it, maybe something which includes humour (optionally) as well as adventure and doesn't drag on for ages?

Tower of Druaga is a pretty decent comedy-fantasy. The first episode isn't representative, though, so you'll need to watch two to see what it's like.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Louie the Rune Soldier is your best bet for comedic fantasy. It's about a thick-headed bull in a china shop type of guy who also happens to be the party magic-user.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I should've mentioned that I'm not necesarily looking solely for comedic fantasy series; I'm just keen to see an adventure series that isn't too long and supplements and leavens its dramatic moments with some that manage to be a little more light-hearted.

I don't know if that broadens to scope at all.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Metal Loaf posted:

I should've mentioned that I'm not necesarily looking solely for comedic fantasy series

Slayers is one of my all time shows as well. You might also like The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. Comedic Sci-fi.

Edit: The TV version not the OVA. The TV version came first and ended things beautifully, then the OVA came along and mucked it all up. Worth it if you are just that big a fan of the show, if only for the little musical numbers that came with the OVA discs.

Lallander fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 24, 2013

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I want to say Scrapped Princess was a pretty decent fantasy anime that was fairly balanced in comedy and drama, but it's been several years since I've last seen it, so I might have nostalgia over it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Scrapped Princess is definitely more drama than comedy. However, it does have a good bit of comedy in it, and it's also just a really enjoyable series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't know if it's like Slayers, but have you seen Trigun? It's a planetary romance-Western, very strong on comedy at first, though it darkens quite quickly.

• Locked thread