Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Beat: From Dust - A neat little puzzle game. It was pretty fun and relaxing for the first few levels, but the later levels got pretty frustrating with its non-deterministic nature and more time-sensitive puzzles. It was especially annoying when a level would kill off your whole tribe because you didn't take a specific precaution, forcing you to go through the unskippable opening cinematic again.

Beat: Assassin's Creed 2 - At first this game just annoyed me with all its faults, but after awhile it grew on me and I was having fun running around 15th century Italy. The magnetized controls are horrible, with way too many instances of me trying to run along a roof only to be catapulted off into a pile of hay that wasn't even in my line of sight, or trying to assassinate a target two feet ahead of me and instead assassinating a bystander a foot to my left. The story was pretty silly and didn't engage me at all, and the modern day section was quite a bore. However the historical settings were really neat and were enough to make me want to keep going with the game to the end, and by then I got used to the controls enough to just deal with them.

Completed: The Swapper - I picked this (and the next game) up together when they popped up on steam because I seemingly always love puzzle platformers. The Swapper had more of an emphasis on the art (out of the two), with the neat clay sculptures and droney music making it pretty atmospheric. The gameplay was pretty good too, but some of the solutions for some of the puzzles seemed a bit obtuse.

Completed: Gunpoint - The other puzzle platformer I picked up. This game had stronger gameplay and was super fun the entire way through. The art, music, writing and overall style were all fantastic too. I knew this game was a bit short, so I paced myself out and made sure to A+ every level before I moved on. Everything about this game is just top notch and I still want more. I haven't felt this way about a 2D game since Hotline Miami.

Currently playing through:
Crysis - One of those games that I played a lot of, but never actually beat. I always just ditched it once the aliens showed up.
Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves - I picked this up recently from a sale. I'm usually not a fan of tower-defense games, but this seems to be derivative enough for me to enjoy, plus the setting and theme look fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jehde, do you have an Intel CPU? Did The Swapper work for you?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well I bought Rome: Total War because it's a dollar right now.

Another game for the list :negative:

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Stronghold (Steam) - Beat: Yep, still awesome. Build huge castle. Put crossbowmen on huge castle. Kill everything. There's nothing better than cruelly dispatching endless waves of enemy peons as you watch the carnage from atop your indestructible mountain fortress of burning and doom. That said it sucks that you can't have multiple lords build castles on the same map like in Crusader.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Xbox 360) - Nulled: I can see why people like this but I find it hard to get into and generally I don't think it's for me. Now that I've got a PS+ membership and don't want to pay for XBox multiplayer as well I'll probably just return it. I can't see myself enjoying this with just the offline modes.

Assassin's Creed Revelations (Steam) - Beat: I'm so sick of the Renaissance. Three games about Ezio was totally unnecessary and I'm glad they aren't pulling the same poo poo with Connor. The story wasn't bad but it was more like they were tying up loose ends instead of making any progress. They removed some cool features (cluster puzzles, assassination contracts) and I'm not too hot for the stuff we got in return. P.S. Ezio is already more heavily armed than the US military, stop giving him weapons.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)
Geneforge (GOG)
Dynasty Warriors 7 + Xtreme Legends (PS3)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

Jehde, do you have an Intel CPU? Did The Swapper work for you?

Yes and yes. I don't know what issue you might be having, all I can recommend is reinstalling and updating drivers.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
COMPLETED: Little Inferno - Got this in the recent bundle and enjoyed burning things. What more do I need to say.

BEATEN: Gunpoint - Short but immensely fun, there is something really satisfying about slipping into a locked down office, stealing the files and leaping out the window, alerting everyone to your position. Or once you get the overpowered Door Kicking ability, things turn insane. Definitely worth it at full price.

BEATEN: Medal of Honour: Doorfighter Warfighter - Not a Steam game, but certainly a game that is easily knocked off anyone's Backlog. Only took about 6 hours to complete. The only fun I had was the Driving sections, which fell like they was made by the team behind the Need for Speed games and were incredibly tense and exciting. The bad points outweigh good though - Poor AI what can't hit an enemy 3 metres away from them, bad checkpointing, audio and video errors (could be my laptop, but something to be aware of) and a very short and disappointing campaign. I'd sooner recommend the previous game over this one. Finally, why so many breaches?

Currently busy working and taking care of projects, so not much time for games, may try to complete Surgery Simulator 2013 soon and may tackle Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 when things calm down.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jehde posted:

Yes and yes. I don't know what issue you might be having, all I can recommend is reinstalling and updating drivers.

The developers say Intel chipsets aren't compatible but based on everything I can find there's a 50/50 shot of people with Intel CPU's or Nvidia cards of the game running, even with all the suggested fixes. I don't want to drop $15 and have to wait for a patch.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

BEAT: Proteus

Apparently you can 'beat' this in under an hour or so. This feels more like an interactive album than a game, which is fine since the music and visuals are pleasant. I probably missed some things, but there's a few interesting little moments you can stumble upon if you're exploring.

ALMOST BEAT: FTL

Goddammit, I was so close. It was only my third game, and I was playing on easy mode of course, but still! I poured everything into beating the last boss, lost my ace pilot, only had 3 hull points left, and you're telling me I have to fight the fucker AGAIN? I only had three FTL jumps before the Flagship caught up and ended the game, with no nearby repair stations- went out firing.

PLAYING: English Country Tune

This game really ought to be called 'Overthinking It,' at least for me- I spent 20 minutes on a single puzzle with a pretty simple solution, and that won't be the last. It can get a little disorienting playing, but it's also pretty addictive.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

The developers say Intel chipsets aren't compatible but based on everything I can find there's a 50/50 shot of people with Intel CPU's or Nvidia cards of the game running, even with all the suggested fixes. I don't want to drop $15 and have to wait for a patch.

Well I haven't heard of any issues, but I also haven't really investigated it. For what it's worth, I have an i5 3570K and a GTX 650 and had zero issues.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Nulled: Grand Theft Auto IV
Having played for 8 hours and completed 15%, it was time to null this game.
I love open world games but the GTA series has never grabbed me. The reason for not liking GTA IV was a mix being forced to drive all over the place, using probably the worst handling and car physics ever in a computer game, lovely checkpoints in the missions meaning you needed to start over, all the way back with suddenly no vehicle, if the subject got away (usually due to you crashing your vehicle) and the story itself (oh nos, I want to escape from all the bad things I did in the war -> Yes let me just go and kill that dude, no problem).

Loved the city and the radio stations though.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Bobby The Rookie posted:

PLAYING: English Country Tune

This game really ought to be called 'Overthinking It,' at least for me- I spent 20 minutes on a single puzzle with a pretty simple solution, and that won't be the last. It can get a little disorienting playing, but it's also pretty addictive.

I'm working on this too, for when I'm not Dark Souls-ing (I've cleared the Gaping Dragon after ringing the first bell after about 20 hours of gameplay) and it's hard to disagree. For a game that starts out as Super-Sokoban, it's really very impressively deep.

And it doesn't really count as a backlog game, but: BEATEN: Frog Fractions. :psyduck: :getin: EDIT. It has come to my attention that not everyone knows what Frog Fractions is, since it came up in that other Steam Thread we don't read as much because we're trying to keep our backlogs small. Thus: Frog Fractions is a webgame parody game of a bunch of stuff, but initially of Math Blaster. Then... other things happen. Wacky isn't always funny, but this one was pretty funny.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 14, 2013

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100% achievement games for this week:

A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda - The new trading cards inspired me to pick this one back up. You've got to get SS ranks on every stage, which requires clearing every boss without getting hit, which is hard as hell. The last boss especially I had to spend about 2 hours drilling his patterns because he has like 8 guns targeting you at different times. Many people bought this during one of the event sales and immediately put it into their garbage category, but I thought it was a neat Mega Man X clone.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
In which Beatnik-Filmstar slogs through some indie garbage a.k.a. "Don't buy every drat bundle you see."

Maybe Later - Hitman: Blood Money - Meh. Stealth games just really don't do it for me. I guess I just prefer to run into a room guns blazing. Played the tutorial. Beat the first mission somewhat legitimately. Then got through the 2nd mission by finding a small room and shooting everyone that walked past the door. Run out of ammo - duck into the hallway, grab some more off of a body in the ever increasing pile and repeat. Eventually they stopped spawning and I shot my two targets. Don't think that's what they intended, and I was bored doing it. Maybe I'll go back to it. People do seem to say it's a good game. Got Absolution for free with my video card. Hope it's a bit different.

Nulled - Zombie Shooter 2 : What a piece of poo poo. The less said the better.

Nulled - XIII Century : Ummmm. No thanks. I honestly have no idea what was going on the 8 whole minutes that I "played" this.

Nulled - Larva Mortus : Wasn't actually horrible, but wasn't that great either. Actually did play this for 2 hours and maybe would have finished it, but I got to a point where a boss wasn't spawning when it was supposed to. Recommended fix from the forums wasn't working, and I didn't feel like playing through the level again. Next.

Beat - Obulis : Oh hey. An indie game that was fun. 100%'d it even. Simple physics puzzle type game where you need to get colored balls into their respective containers. Simple, with some levels that were rather complex. Got a little Bad Ratsey a few times where repeated attempts of the same thing would produce different results, but still enjoyable.

Beat - Samorost 2 : Point and click adventure game. Not my type of thing, but took less than an hour to go through while following a walkthrough. I think I'm just going to use walkthroughs for any adventure games like this in my backlog. I like following along with the story, and in this case - liked to artwork a lot. Just don't really care to spend hours on end getting through them.

Beat??? - Thirty Flights of Loving : What the Hell? Seriously. What the Hell was this? I think I played through the whole thing in 16 minutes. If there was a video game representation of a junkie's withdrawal induced fever dream, then I think this was it. If this is on your backlog, install it and play through.

Beat - World of Goo : Another indie game that was good. Played up until some epilogue levels got stupid hard. Recommended though. Surely it will be cheap as can be during the Summer sale.
Maybe Later - VVVVVV - Enjoyable, but not really my thing. A less visually interesting Super Meat Boy, and I'm terrible at SMB. Ran around for a hour or so. Rescued 3 of the shipmates, but got frustrated and uninstalled. Maybe I'll go back to it, but not for a while.

"Beat" - Indie Game: The Movie - Well, I watched it. That counts, right? Fairly interesting. Feel pretty happy for the SMB guys. Less so for Phil Fish. Guy seems pretty drat punchable.

Currently playing:
Necrovision - Seems to be a low budget FPS set during some supernatural alternate reality WWI. Probably going to suck, but whatever.
Trine 2 - Installed for trading cards. May as well play through it. First one was pretty as Hell.

Slight progress on the backlog. Some bundle or another unlocked two additional games, but 8 other titles tucked away. "Uninstalled - not played" category now with 106 titles.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Necrovision does in fact suck. I'd skip it.

I've just finished the 4th episode of Alan Wake and I'm really liking it. The episodes are enough for me to play through in a night or two, the story makes me want to keep playing and see what is going to happen, and it's even a bit creepy. I'm a masochist so I'm playing through on normal (Xbox hard) but it so far isn't too bad and the combat isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Wake sure can't run though, he makes it maybe 100 feet before he's doubled over wheezing hard, trying to catch his breath. That is the worst thing so far.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Necrovision is awesome, you should play it. It's like Serious Sam and Bulletstorm had a baby.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

americanzero4128 posted:

Necrovision does in fact suck. I'd skip it.

al-azad posted:

Necrovision is awesome, you should play it. It's like Serious Sam and Bulletstorm had a baby.

Well that settles it!

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

BEAT: Thomas Was Alone

Simple little puzzle platformer, not too much to write home about, and a tad glitchy in spots- the draw is mostly the narration giving your actions any kind of context, and giving the little rectangles you control some characterization. It's cute, but it also strangely puts you with a different group of characters in the late game, stretching out the story just a bit too long. It's a pretty hyped up game that works purely on charm, really, but it wasn't bad, especially at the bundle price.

PLAYING: The Oil Blue

Picked this back up after a long time of not playing, and I still like it quite a bit. I don't particularly like having to do memorization minigames to repair my oil rigs, but the rest is pretty solid, hectic multi-management craziness. I wish this would get greenlit on Steam already and that it could get a bit of an update, particularly in the resolution department, it's a pretty cool title that could find a decent audience on the service, I think.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Well that settles it!

The first two thirds of Necrovision are fun and then it turns into absolute dog poo poo. The same goes for the sequel only it's more like only the first half.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3) - Beat: I played through the story modes for all four factions and it felt like to took forever, though maybe that's just because there's a lot of repetition. Oddly I still don't feel like I have a good grasp of the lore except for key points. I don't know, it's supposed to be the best story mode in the series but I wasn't too hot for it. They reused characters and weapon sets a lot which is a shame because a big part of the diverse cast isn't really featured in the campaigns. That said, the story is kinda interesting and the combat is fun despite of its repetitiveness so I might give the other modes a shot once I've taken a break. I'm just really tired of playing Dynasty Warriors right now.

Spec Ops: The Line (Steam) - Beat: People walk away from this game speechless and I can confirm that this isn't just hyperbole. I mean holy loving poo poo. I don't want to spoil anything about the story but the trainwreck that slowly unfolds in front of you as you shoot your way through Dubai is fascinating and depressing and you just can't stop. If more ~cinematic AAA games~ would have this kind of narrative I might not consider them all a waste of money. The gameplay is good as well, I usually suck at gamepad-shooters but this felt super-natural.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)
Geneforge (GOG)

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 21, 2013

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
GAVE UP: Trine 2

Trine 2 is schizo. The art is beautiful. The puzzles are (for the most part) very clever. The combat sequences are just button mashing. The normal platforming is fine, but the timed platforming is bullshit. Technically I've beat the game and am now in the "epilogue", but there's one sequence that requires you to either bounce on a mushroom or ride up on air, grapple to a plank which is only up for a second, swing on top of said plank, and then jump onto the ledge above. Miss it? You'll probably end up sliding back into the nearby water, have to get your way out of the drink and start all over again. gently caress this game.

BEAT: Little Inferno

Terrific little game. Figuring out the various "combinations" of stuff to burn was a lot of fun, and since you didn't need to figure all 100 of them to beat the game, no worries about getting stuck. Unexpected ending but well done. I'm looking forward to what this studio comes up with next.

YANKED: Super Hexagon

This wasn't the game for me.

BEAT: Costume Quest
CONCEDED: Grubbins on Ice

The first game was a lot of fun, though it got very repetitive unless you decided to play with all the various squad combinations. I have a problem with the end boss which I'll discuss with Grubbins.

Grubbins is not as fun, there are fewer areas and a lot of recycled assets from the first game; I cannot blame Double Fine for that since this a DLC. However, I'm not a fan of the final boss fight. My theory on game design is that the game should progress to being more difficult over the course of the game; the idea being that you will be forced to fine-tune your tactics, loadout, whatever. Grubbins does not do this; the next-to-last encounter is pretty easy, but the boss fight here seriously ramps up the difficulty by giving the 'bosses' tons more hit points and instakill. At that point it became no longer fun but an exercise in tedium.

BEAT: Primordia

This is a wonderful gem of a game. Clever puzzles, though you must be OK with point-and-click. Great setting, writing, voice acting, and characters. The creators of this game did a really good job of updating the adventure games of old.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

monster on a stick posted:

BEAT: Primordia

This is a wonderful gem of a game. Clever puzzles, though you must be OK with point-and-click. Great setting, writing, voice acting, and characters. The creators of this game did a really good job of updating the adventure games of old.

Woah this looks really cool. I hadn't heard of this, but I guess I can blame myself since I played and really enjoyed The Shiva by the same developer.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Will I need a FAQ to beat Primordia? I'm kind of dense sometimes when it comes to adventure games.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Beat - Mirror's Edge
Technically more of a replay, first time I actually went past the boat level though.

Still looks amazing and while some mechanics are clunky it's worth playing so much.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DannyTanner posted:

Will I need a FAQ to beat Primordia? I'm kind of dense sometimes when it comes to adventure games.

You may get stuck at certain points if you aren't used to the genre. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just have fun and use a walkthrough if needed.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't buy games any more so I guess I have to play them? Ughhhhhh. The only way I can get new games is by Trading Card profit and Steam Gifts.

Anyway, Currently Finishing: The Walking Dead. I got about halfway and put it down, I need to finish it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Dishonored - The Knife of Dunwall DLC
I played and beat Dishonored almost right when it came out, so it's been a while since I've last visited that universe.
And drat is it just a great setting. The DLC, The Knife of Dunwall, adds 3 missions where you play as Daud, the assassin that kills the Empress right at the beginning of Dishonored and sets that game into motion.
There are both great settings, new powers and an really good story in this DLC, and as I was getting close to the end and getting a bit worried that a lot of loose ends wouldn't be tied up, I was told by Rookersh that more DLCs are planned (at least one), which also put my mind at easy, as the main story is still open for Daud but some of those loose ends are now closed in this DLC.
Good stuff!

Nulled: Really Big Sky
Got this in a bundle and since it was dropping cards, I wanted to play it instead of just milking it for treasures using SAM.
Well, that was just what I ended up doing as this was a really annoying twin-stick shooter.
The game itself might be OK if you love this genre, but the presentation and the options just made me give up as it kept griefing me, when all I wanted was a fullscreen 1920x1080 display.
Also the game was really frustrating for someone who is not a fan of twin-stick twitch shooters.

Nulled: Offspring Fling
It's not that this game was really bad. I just got tired of playing it after finishing 30+ levels.

Nulled/Maybe later: Defender's Quest
Very good Tower Defense game, though the graphics could use some shine.
I had a good time playing it and got perhaps halfway (at least when looking at the map), but I'm ready to move on. Will perhaps install it again later.

Nulled/Maybe later: Kairo
A really cool First Person puzzle game with an awesome atmosphere, but as the first game ever, I actually felt nauseated and got a bit sea sick when playing it in fullscreen. Changed the setting to windowed fixed the problem but it was really weird and I can't put my finger on what triggered it.
Well, the puzzles are interesting (you push/step on things and stuff happens), but I got to a puzzle where I'm forced to run around and move the blocks so a ball can bounce on them. I really got annoyed by that puzzle and am now taking a break from the game. I might return to it one day though, as the atmosphere, which reminds me of strange sci-fi landscapes from the mind of Arthur C. Clarke (think Rendezvous with Rama) really appeals to me.

Nulled/Maybe later: Monaco
I really like this game but I have just lost the motivation to finish it. Perhaps another time.

Nulled: GTA: Episodes from Liberty City
I didn't like GTA4, but heard that Ballad of Gay Tony was kind of "Best of GTA4", so I tried that.
After 25 minutes absolutely nothing had happened other than me listening to people yap on and on. Then I was introduced to my apartment and then.. nothing. I waited for a phone call or anything that would start the story but nothing happened. Oh well, more space on my disk for games that wants to be played.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 22, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Nearly Beat: Bioshock Infinite. I'm near the end by my own estimations, I'll probably beat it tomorrow night, but I wanted to put down my thoughts here while I actually understand what I'm about to say.

This game is antagonistic towards itself. It's such a great setting, a great story, with great storytelling, it feels almost like a classic Disney movie in a lot of ways. But the game doesn't want you to focus on that, it instead wants you to murder the entire population of Columbia, personally. It's not even a bad FPS, but it stifles what I actually want out of the game so much that I just can't enjoy it. Whenever a firefight starts, I just want it to end so I can go back to exploring and watching the story unfold. But it doesn't. Each firefight goes on three times as long as it has to, and then leads into another firefight that lasts anywhere near twice to five times as long as it should depending on if the game feels like making you fight Firemen, Crows or (worst of all) Handymen.

A story like this is great, but it really should have been told by an RPG, or maybe a Deus Ex-style 'stealth if you want' game. As an FPS, and an active one as it is, it just completely falls over itself.

And speaking of games Bioshock Infinite should have been...
Playing: Dishonored. I don't actually know if I'm very far in this game, I just captured Sokolov, but it's fantastic in how it does everything it sets out to do so right. It seemed to drop off the radar fairly fast, so I was a bit worried it wasn't going to impress me, but it really is.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cleretic posted:

But the game doesn't want you to focus on that, it instead wants you to murder the entire population of Columbia, personally.

Yes. Not going into spoilers, but it is intended to be like that. Maybe you'll figure out why at the end when you rethink the whole experience, or maybe not -- the game is and, at the same, is not subtle about this from the very beginning. What you need to keep in mind is that the gruesome impact of what you are doing wouldn't work out as a RPG or slow-paced stealth game.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

I finished finals and have a three week break so I went kind of nuts, woops.

'Beat': Proteus
Relaxing.

Beat: Waking Mars
Refreshing to play an exploratory game that wasn't about killing stuff or platforming.

Beat: Thomas Was Alone
Awesome.

Beat: Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Interesting concept, but frustrating at times.

Beat: Unmechanical
Not bad for what it was.

Beat: Serious Sam TFE
Got bored about 3/4 way in when it started getting very tedious.

Beat: Antichamber
Different than what I expected, but atleast it tried to do something different.

Beat: Orcs Must Die!
Pretty fun, but I don't think I'll get OMD2 unless it's on sale for cheap.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have been traveling a lot for business reasons so I ended up playing my DS more than PC - which means I beat Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Great RPG if you know/enjoy the series, with lots of polish and a surprisingly interesting plot with good dialogue, specially one-liners from Bowser. Quite fun. Took me around 25 hours to beat it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have not played tons of games, but which 2-5 of these in particular should I spend more time on/finish? I own most of the pc ones from 2-10 dollar sales, apart from skyrim which was a sale but still like $30. I got spec ops free on ps+

ps3/xbox:
-metal gear solid 1/2/3
-bayonetta on hard (finished on normal)
-god hand
-dmc 4
-spec ops: the line

steam/pc:
-saint's row with all add-ons, it was like $10 I swear
-civ 5 (not gods and kings)
-jamestown
-alan wake
-alpha protocol
-miasma
-skyrim (never touched it)
-witcher 2 (never touched it)
-bioshock 2 (played half of it, nothing special so far)
-dead space 2 (played half. will continue if I can find my save file
-gta: ballad of gay tony (never touched it)
-dawn of war 2 (played like half of it)
-batman: arckham 1+2
-borderlands 1
-dishonoured
-crysis 1 +warhead
-frozen synapse
-rage
-the walking dead

Nazzle
Apr 11, 2008
I believe you should try the walking dead if you like zombie stories at all. I highly recommend it. Other than that my list looks the same!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Play Dishonoured. If you get bored play an episode of The Walking Dead.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have a bit of a weird section of my backlog.

-Dragon Age 1
-Assassin's Creed 2 + Brotherhood
-Dead Space 2
-Hitman: Blood Money

In all of these cases the sequels turned out to be kinda bad and that just sort of made me lose interest in the games. I know it's stupid and it shouldn't work that way but it does. I also started Mass Effect 3 after loving ME2 but never finished because I wasn't enjoying it all that much and the negative hype around the rest of the game really put me off.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Spec Ops doesn't take that long and is really good. Alpha Protocol too but that's a game that shines the more times you play it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Saoshyant posted:

Yes. Not going into spoilers, but it is intended to be like that. Maybe you'll figure out why at the end when you rethink the whole experience, or maybe not -- the game is and, at the same, is not subtle about this from the very beginning. What you need to keep in mind is that the gruesome impact of what you are doing wouldn't work out as a RPG or slow-paced stealth game.

Beat: Bioshock Infinite

I don't know what part of that convoluted (in a good way, I assure you) ending was supposed to make the massive amount of gunfights make sense, so it didn't work from that direction. It also didn't fix the problem that I wasn't having any sort of strong emotional reaction causing me to not want to fight, I was just annoyed, and frustrated by all of it.

Comstock House was exactly what I was hoping for from the game, and exactly what it should have been. Okay the fights against the melee guys got a bit tedious, probably because they were inexplicably durable, but the rest was great. The combat was there to break things up and it made me feel things other than 'I just want this fight to end', but it wasn't so tedious as to be frustrating, they didn't throw any special enemies that just made me pull my hair out. The mood was entirely different, almost a horror (I assume it borrows a lot form the original Bioshock, which I didn't play), and it really worked.

And then on the other side of the coin, we have the Hand of the Prophet, especially the final battle on the top deck that completely soured me on any goodwill I had at the time, because of how much it loved throwing me into big fights against lots of reinforcements, including big enemies that take way too many hits. So I can only assume that the really well-designed part of the game was a fluke.

Also, while I liked the ending, that final twist made no sense. I can only assume that someone, somewhere along the line, went completely loving insane; I just can't be sure who, or if it was a character in the story or one of the writers.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

redreader posted:

I have not played tons of games, but which 2-5 of these in particular should I spend more time on/finish? I own most of the pc ones from 2-10 dollar sales, apart from skyrim which was a sale but still like $30. I got spec ops free on ps+

Dishonoured, Arkham Asylum, and Alpha Protocol. AP is worth 3-4 playthroughs on its own, too.

Jamestown if you want something smaller and easier to pick up and put down on short notice.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

americanzero4128 posted:

I've just finished the 4th episode of Alan Wake and I'm really liking it. The episodes are enough for me to play through in a night or two, the story makes me want to keep playing and see what is going to happen, and it's even a bit creepy. I'm a masochist so I'm playing through on normal (Xbox hard) but it so far isn't too bad and the combat isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Wake sure can't run though, he makes it maybe 100 feet before he's doubled over wheezing hard, trying to catch his breath. That is the worst thing so far.
Wait, normal on the PC is Hard? Gah. I've been having serious trouble with this game early on and thought maybe I'd just gotten bad at video games, or maybe using a controller was messing me up (which I don't normally do, but I like the feedback effects and the game is definitely designed for it).

Either way, the story is fun in a meta pulp horror way, but I'm getting tired of the combat gimmick already. It was a neat idea, but it's getting monotonous. At least the episodes are short, that makes it more playable. And yeah Wake needed to spend some more time on the treadmill. He sure runs like a writer!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Element4l: This is a cute little platformer. Very challenging towards the end, and the game mechanic adds to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
This post brought to you by the letter "poo poo not to buy." AKA the Null parade.

Nulled - Lugaru HD : I have no idea what bundle this came in. I have no idea what the Hell they were thinking when they made it. You're a rabbit. You do karate or something like that while fighting other rabbits. Or in my case, you confusedly mash buttons for 10 minutes while cursing furries for existing.

Nulled - Chains : Annoying. I liked this game for the first hour or so I played it. Nice little puzzle type game. Match like colored balls and they disappear. Try to meet predetermined goals for each level. Then I got to one of the most bullshit levels I could imagine. Spent an hour or so trying but never even came close. ("The Flipper") Annoying as Hell, and I have way too many games to put up with that kind of crap.

Nulled - Gish : You're a tar ball in a boring side scrolling platform type game. Next!

Nulled - Grand Ages: Rome : City building RTS CivCity: Rome clone as far as I can tell. Seemed pretty polished, but really not my cup of tea.

Nulled - Intrusion 2 : 2D side scrolling shooter. Pretty fun for a while no matter how bad I suck at these games. Played for a bit. Got to the second boss, which turned out to be hard as Hell for me. Fun, but not worth the frustration to me.

Nulled - Capsized : See Intrusion 2. Really pretty graphics, but really not in the mood just after getting annoyed by a pretty similar game. Think I'll place this one in the "maybe later" folder though.

And since I actually liked something this week:

Beat - Serious Sam 3 : Installed in order to idle some game cards. Ended up playing through it. It's Serious Sam. You run around and shoot a billion bad guys. Nothing great about it, but fun enough when played amongst 101 bad indie games.

Currently / Still playing : The previously mentioned NecroVision, Closure (An interesting start at least.), and Gumboy - Crazy Adventures (Haven't started - looks awful.)

Added one silly little adventure game that was gifted to me, but "Uninstalled - Not Played" folder now down to a slim and trim fighting weight of 98 games. A small victory to get under 100 just prior to the Thanksgiving that is the Summer Sale.