Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

gnome7 posted:

There is literally an episode of Dragon Ball Z titled "The death of Vegeta," and the episode previews for it had the narrator going "Is this the end of Vegeta? Has Freiza finally done what no one else could?" And then the episode title popped up. I don't think anything is quite that bad these days.

I don't remember if the episode name was the same, but the manga chapter where Ace dies is "The Death of Portgas D. Ace."

EDIT: Well poo poo, shoulda read Captain I's post more thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There're still people who are anime only with One Piece?

bondster
May 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

Well now that its airing on Toonami every Saturday night, yes :v:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Does anyone know why random episodes of this show are missing from Hulu? I'm watching the second season right now and just noticed I've been sporadically skipping episodes because they don't exist on Hulu, for example 109 and 110 subbed are missing and 109-119 for dubbed are missing.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

Gyges posted:

No.. Of course not..

But seriously, I just enjoy it more with voice and a soundtrack even though it's animated like crap.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Does anyone know why random episodes of this show are missing from Hulu? I'm watching the second season right now and just noticed I've been sporadically skipping episodes because they don't exist on Hulu, for example 109 and 110 subbed are missing and 109-119 for dubbed are missing.

They've only had maybe half of all the episodes available on Hulu for a few years. Every week they take a few down, put a few new ones up. I think they add them sequentially, but I just got impatient and got the DVDs. I don't know if Hulu is ever going to buy the rights for any dubbed episodes after Skypeia or so.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ArcaneTree posted:

No.. Of course not..

But seriously, I just enjoy it more with voice and a soundtrack even though it's animated like crap.

It's not the animation, it's the pacing. That godawful pacing. It's beyond atrocious, to the point where I've quit watching because the show is just wasting my time.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's not the animation, it's the pacing. That godawful pacing. It's beyond atrocious, to the point where I've quit watching because the show is just wasting my time.

Same here, and I loving loved the One Piece anime. It's the only anime I've actually bought DVDs for. With real money and everything. Only now I can't watch it because it's fell into the same pit of godawful pacing all current shounen adaptations are wont to do. it's like watching a loved one go slowly senile and just start making GBS threads themselves and forgetting where they live :smith:

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 23, 2013

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Yes

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

KoB posted:

One of the first few openings spoiled Robin being in the crew like way before Alabasta even started.

It was actually like 2 episodes before she showed up on their ship.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm pretty sure it was before Luffy even fought Croc the third time, well before the arc was over.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Went and checked, third opening first hits on episode 116, before Luffy's second fight with Crocodile. Heck, it's before most of the crew fights start, too.

Also, going back to check has me rewatching the show again, so thanks for that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure it was before Luffy even fought Croc the third time, well before the arc was over.

I just looked it up and you guys are right. It starts on one of the episodes Zoro is fighting Mr. 1
Weird, I remember it spoiling Robin joining the crew almost immediately before she does last time I watched it with someone.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
you know, I finally read some of the manga's. You are totally right. They could absolutely pack two chapters into one episode. Easily

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Abitha Denton posted:

They've only had maybe half of all the episodes available on Hulu for a few years. Every week they take a few down, put a few new ones up. I think they add them sequentially, but I just got impatient and got the DVDs. I don't know if Hulu is ever going to buy the rights for any dubbed episodes after Skypeia or so.
I've only looked at season one and two but they definitely have most of the episodes from each, and the ones they are missing haven't been picked sequentially--- they have the first and last episodes from both seasons.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dukeofdummies posted:

you know, I finally read some of the manga's. You are totally right. They could absolutely pack two chapters into one episode. Easily

Yeah most manga can fit ~40 pages of content in a 20 minute episode.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Dukeofdummies posted:

Yeah, and that's what they did up til about Thriller Bark. Now they're so close to the manga that they're basically stuck and can't do anything about it, cause they don't go on extended breaks like TV shows in the west do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dukeofdummies posted:

They did that with the anime for many years, actually!

But then they got too close to the manga and they stopped buying time with filler arcs so now instead of having skippable filler episodes we have canon episodes with long recaps and really slow pacing on scenes that are not meant to be slow.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Drakkel posted:

Yeah, and that's what they did up til about Thriller Bark. Now they're so close to the manga that they're basically stuck and can't do anything about it, cause they don't go on extended breaks like TV shows in the west do.

Uh, no?

Being really close to the manga's release was the reason the end of Enies Lobby was poo poo, which is why they switched to the one chapter per episode format of suck. I think that was about four weeks behind the manga? Maybe less? It was crazy close, but that was a crazy long arc that didn't leave much room for filler.

But they've been a year behind for ages now. Like, the manga is knee deep into the next arc already. It's at least 40 chapters ahead if not more.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Uh, no?

Being really close to the manga's release was the reason the end of Enies Lobby was poo poo, which is why they switched to the one chapter per episode format of suck. I think that was about four weeks behind the manga? Maybe less? It was crazy close, but that was a crazy long arc that didn't leave much room for filler.

But they've been a year behind for ages now. Like, the manga is knee deep into the next arc already. It's at least 40 chapters ahead if not more.

Yeah, but it's not like they can catch up now. It seems like they're keeping pace for the most part, so if they went back to 2 chapters per episode, they'd just have to slow back down once they got within a few chapters of current. Or worse, they might have to slow down even more if Oda has a couple skipped weeks for illness or whatever.

Apparently, whatever One Piece is doing is the right way to do it because it's more popular than ever in Japan. It hasn't fallen off a cliff like Naruto and Bleach did, so I imagine the viewing public has a much higher tolerance for crap pacing than crap filler. My wife is still thrilled as hell to watch a new episode of One Piece each week, even when loving nothing happens (like last week).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yeah, but it's not like they can catch up now. It seems like they're keeping pace for the most part, so if they went back to 2 chapters per episode, they'd just have to slow back down once they got within a few chapters of current. Or worse, they might have to slow down even more if Oda has a couple skipped weeks for illness or whatever.

Apparently, whatever One Piece is doing is the right way to do it because it's more popular than ever in Japan. It hasn't fallen off a cliff like Naruto and Bleach did, so I imagine the viewing public has a much higher tolerance for crap pacing than crap filler. My wife is still thrilled as hell to watch a new episode of One Piece each week, even when loving nothing happens (like last week).
Ugh I don't even feel like most of the filler in One Piece was that bad. I seriously wish every show just moved to seasons instead of every single week. Or go back to filler arcs

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Like most long running shonen stuffs One Piece will never switch to a seasonal format simply because after hundreds of episodes people know when and where to watch it; going seasonal could result in losing that timeslot and Toei definitely doesn't want that. Plus the constant exposure via new episodes each week helps keep it fresh in the target audience's minds and thus helps out with merch sales.

It is a shame that the One Piece Special Edition that has been airing is just older episodes remastered in HD. That would have been a chance to take older episodes and give them the Dragonball Kai treatment, but I guess what they wound up doing was less work.

Though I'm sure they'll do the Kai treatment to One Piece eventually, years after the show is over I'm sure they'll want to milk it some more. Maybe in a decade or so we'll finally have a One Piece anime with great pacing :smith:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Srice posted:

Though I'm sure they'll do the Kai treatment to One Piece eventually, years after the show is over I'm sure they'll want to milk it some more. Maybe in a decade or so we'll finally have a One Piece anime with great pacing :smith:

Yeah right. Maybe in 10 years One Piece will be over

EDIT: I understand why they won't switch to seasons it just bums me out because it could be so much better.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's going to be kind of weird to have a bunch of grandpas and grandmas watching One Piece Kai with their grandkids, talking about how much they've been looking forward to this.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that the word "candy" is a direct cognate in Japanese? This means that the Japanese likely had never heard of candy until it was introduced to them by English-speaking outsiders.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="416800226"]
Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that the word "candy" is a direct cognate in Japanese? This means that the Japanese likely had never heard of candy until it was introduced to them by English-speaking outsiders.

I noticed it, too, that Master uses the word "candy" despite the fact that Japanese has at least two other words they use more often and have an easier time pronouncing. It could be because these aren't typical candies, ie Master is giving them a name like how Kleenex isn't just any tissue paper.

They certainly have candy in Japan. Though to be fair, their idea of candy isn't as sweet as ours, and they usually eat things like sembei as treats.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Gyges posted:

It's going to be kind of great to have a bunch of grandpas and grandmas watching One Piece Kai with their grandkids, talking about how much they've been looking forward to this.

Fixed that for you!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Srice posted:

Like most long running shonen stuffs One Piece will never switch to a seasonal format simply because after hundreds of episodes people know when and where to watch it; going seasonal could result in losing that timeslot and Toei definitely doesn't want that. Plus the constant exposure via new episodes each week helps keep it fresh in the target audience's minds and thus helps out with merch sales.

It is a shame that the One Piece Special Edition that has been airing is just older episodes remastered in HD. That would have been a chance to take older episodes and give them the Dragonball Kai treatment, but I guess what they wound up doing was less work.

It used to have really decent pacing and that's the worst part. Impel Down is when the pacing took a real nose dive and its gotten progressively worse since then. Also the art and animation took a real nose dive around that period as well.For example does anyone else remember those Robin episodes where she was on that slave bridge and she looked like a complete alien? At some points she didn't even resemble the character design

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

I noticed it, too, that Master uses the word "candy" despite the fact that Japanese has at least two other words they use more often and have an easier time pronouncing. It could be because these aren't typical candies, ie Master is giving them a name like how Kleenex isn't just any tissue paper.

They certainly have candy in Japan. Though to be fair, their idea of candy isn't as sweet as ours, and they usually eat things like sembei as treats.

I'm pretty sure they also have words for stuff like "Super" and "Skull Joke". It's more of a stylistic thing when they use English words sometimes I think.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="416800226"]

In this week's episode at least, you'll hear the Japanese word for candy.

And speaking of this week's episode, enjoy the 20 minute buildup to Smiley eating a candy.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I'm pretty sure they also have words for stuff like "Super" and "Skull Joke". It's more of a stylistic thing when they use English words sometimes I think.

Err, that was probably the word I was looking for. It makes it stylish and unique. But it's just a subtle thing I think.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.
Yeah, the pacing for this show has gone to poo poo ever since Impel Down. Maybe it's because when I finally decided to give One Piece a second chance and start watching it again, I had over 400 episodes available that I could shotgun through one after the other so the pacing didn't seem as terrible but I doubt it was ever as bad as it got during and after the Impel Down arc. I was still reading the manga at that time and what should have been the most epic arc in the anime was reduced to reaction shots, endless running, and people screaming Aaaaaace. Couple the terrible pacing with the fact that I caught up and now have to watch it weekly, I just do it out of habit at this point.

I might just go back to stockpiling episodes and once I get a decent enough backlog, I can just steamroll through the episodes which should reduce the effect of the terrible pacing. With Bleach, Beelzebub, and Fairy Tail being canceled as well as Naruto being stuck in filler hell it seems like I need some other huge shounen shows to watch on a weekly basis. At least I still have Hunter X Hunter and Toriko and hopefully Attack on Titan gets at least two seasons or becomes one of these huge never-ending monstrosities that provides me with enough entertainment before falling into the poo poo pacing or filler hell loop all huge shounen anime seem to fall into. Well the less silly shounen series I'm following the more time I will have for viewing some of these better smaller series or just continue watching LOGH.

Mike Hock fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 26, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mike Hock posted:

I might just go back to stockpiling episodes and once I get a decent enough backlog, I can just steamroll through the episodes which should reduce the effect of the terrible pacing.

I tried this. It fixed nothing and made for a particularly boring Sunday afternoon. I think I fell asleep at one point, too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I tried to marathon through Impel down and Marineford but I had to skip the first half of every episode because it was just a 10 minute recap of Luffy screaming Ace.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So glad that candy dissolved in real time.
So, I guess Smiley was given a Devil's Fruit like the other sentient weapons, and when it died because of the candy, his Devil moved to the closest fruit and turned it into its fruit. The other apples must be to collect everyone else's powers. Zoan appears to be the fruit of choice for weapons though a Logia weapon could be amazing. It's kind of weird to that the fruits give the items personality and everything. Sentience at least.
Also, wouldn't carbon monoxide have worked just fine?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kild posted:

I tried to marathon through Impel down and Marineford but I had to skip the first half of every episode because it was just a 10 minute recap of Luffy screaming Ace.

Someone should go in and DBZ Kai that poo poo. Edit it down to like 5 episodes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Senor Candle posted:

Someone should go in and DBZ Kai that poo poo. Edit it down to like 5 episodes.

I seem to recall someone mentioning an edit of Marineford floating around a while back, but all my googling has turned up nothing but dead links these days :(

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

I seem to recall someone mentioning an edit of Marineford floating around a while back, but all my googling has turned up nothing but dead links these days :(

It wouldn't be too hard. Even if you're just cutting out all of the recap that would help a lot.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I dunno if it'd be okay to link, but there is a group out there doing an edit called One Pace that re-edits everything into a 2 chapter per episode pace. So far they've done everything after the time skip, and they've started on stuff before the war now while they wait for new episodes to come out, as of right now they're at the start of Thriller Bark. It'll be a while before they get to Marineford, but so far they've been doing updates every few days.

As for devils fruits: It's pretty certain that the reason they use Zoan fruits on objects is because they gain sentience from the fruit. With what we know right now the only thing that'd happen if you fed a sword the fire fruit is that you'd get either a regular sword with fire powers you can't activate, or a sword made of fire that you can't touch cause its made of fire.

Also it seems likely that each devil fruit is based on a specific kind of fruit, and when a user dies the power goes into another fruit of the same type. Smiley's fruit was shaped like an apple, so they had a ton of apples nearby just to be sure it appeared there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Drakkel posted:

As for devils fruits: Also it seems likely that each devil fruit is based on a specific kind of fruit, and when a user dies the power goes into another fruit of the same type. Smiley's fruit was shaped like an apple, so they had a ton of apples nearby just to be sure it appeared there.

The marines should know this right? Why didn't they have fruits on hand to recapture Ace's power? Shouldn't that be common practice when executing devil fruit users?