Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Hey, what would you guys recommend for durable, and comfortable sock yarns? What is your go-to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I'm really fond of Paton's Kroy, but my Knitpicks stroll holds up pretty well when knit tightly. But Paton's is definitely my go-to.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I like Lorna's Laces. Really, anything that's got some nylon to it should hold up pretty well as socks.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I have a pair made of a Berroco sparkly kind, they are stripy, and I've been loving them, and I destroy all socks with my complete disrespect...they also may have accidentally found their way through the dryer several times and not felted even a little bit so...yeah, whereas my Fleece Artist pair of apparently superwash have very quietly done so enough to look fine but not be stretchy, grr. That may be a moot point because I don't knwo if anyone knows Fleece Artist outside of the Maritimes.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I'm in a bit of a knitting rut. I moved and lost my main project bag for a couple of weeks in the mess and now I can only knit a few rows at a time before my hands cramp up and I have to stop. That, combined with being kinda bored with the endless garter stitch of Wingspan has left me pretty bored and not really motivated to do much of anything. What are some pattern suggestions for something interesting and smaller than a sweater?

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

GabrielAisling posted:

I'm in a bit of a knitting rut. I moved and lost my main project bag for a couple of weeks in the mess and now I can only knit a few rows at a time before my hands cramp up and I have to stop. That, combined with being kinda bored with the endless garter stitch of Wingspan has left me pretty bored and not really motivated to do much of anything. What are some pattern suggestions for something interesting and smaller than a sweater?

I'm making Fallberry Mitts now and they're fun and easy. Lacy mitts are my go-to for small, fun projects.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Uuuuggh. I'm making my own basic top with one design element: a cable panel that goes up the side and then crosses over to become part of a v-neck. I'm almost done and I realise that there's no way the cable is going to actually hit the v-neck and I missed the chance awhile back. I have to either have it randomly hit in the middle of a crew neck or rip out half of what I've done.

I'm probably going to rip it, but I'm going to sulk first.

EDIT: Back up to where I should split for the v-neck! ...now the cable is too far over. I need to rip back AGAIN. I think I'm going to go the lazy route of ripping back to where it should hit, then going straight instead of trying to fix the angle again. So frustrating.

At least once I get this sorted it should be a quick knit to the end.

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 7, 2013

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

GabrielAisling posted:

Socks are another option. Lace socks keep things interesting without being too large a project. I find that on shawls, inevitably you get into a rut sometimes if the pattern is too easy or you're stuck doing long rows of purls, garter, etc.

Though saying that, i've finally started Vortex Shawl. (Not too difficult a pattern so it makes good TV/Lp watching knitting). I'm using this yarn, Fyberspates Scrumptious Lace in the colour Slate. I wound that bad boy by hand, it took four hours. I have a ball of 2-ply lace yarn the size of my fist. I kind of feel like this one is going to take a long time...

Serenity Dove fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 2, 2013

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Serenity Dove posted:

Though saying that, i've finally started Vortex Shawl. (Not too difficult a pattern so it makes good TV/Lp watching knitting). I'm using this yarn, Fyberspates Scrumptious Lace in the colour Slate. I wound that bad boy by hand, it took four hours. I have a ball of 2-ply lace yarn the size of my fist. I kind of feel like this one is going to take a long time...

I'm working on that same pattern! It just looks so cool no matter what. It'll be a great Christmas gift.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
New Knitty up! First fall 2013 is not terrible! There are a handful of things I would (mod the hell out of and) make.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Anne Whateley posted:

New Knitty up! First fall 2013 is not terrible! There are a handful of things I would (mod the hell out of and) make.

Really like the shape on the Rabbity toy though I can always do without knitted eyes. Might actually start on one of those today. I'm also really enamored with the red yarn in the Flying Geese socks, gotta get me some of that.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
At first glance I thought I was going to hate just about everything in this Knitty, but on closer inspection, I actually like a lot of it. If I had more patience I'd try making some of the tops, or the Nozky legwarmers. I'm really enamoured with the construction method for the flying geese socks, too. I have little patience for projects on small needles (still working on one from last Knitty..) but I'd still give it a shot.

Maybe I'll convince someone to make the Glitz at the Ritz shawl for me. I do have a friend who promised to knit something for me when I get married next year..

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I really like the rabbit toy and agree it would look much better with safety eyes. I'm also really tempted to try the gloves, but they look like a near nightmare to knit.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The ginger and wasabi gloves? Have you done gloves before? Based on the pattern, they actually look easy, like they'd be good first gloves for someone who's had some experience on other projects. They do look much more complicated based on the photos, but that's because the designer chose two variegated colors that look like clown barf together. I would want to see more combinations, but I might do them eventually.

I like Jackaroo but I'd want to lengthen it a little and maybe add a cable so it's not as boring. I like Squirrels (the hat, not the toy), but I would definitely play with the charts and colors, and the long floats suck. Moufles is okay once you scroll past that super tl;dr essay, but long floats suck even more for mittens. That's still a lot for one Knitty, though!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I have oddly shaped hands, so no gloves outside of those dollar stretch gloves at Wal-Mart ever fit me. I'm worried about how much adjusting I'd have to do. :ohdear:

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I'm really bad at determining yarn weights, is the yarn used in the Peri's Paradox a lace weight or a fingering one?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Dead Cow posted:

I'm really bad at determining yarn weights, is the yarn used in the Peri's Paradox a lace weight or a fingering one?

That's definitely a 2-ply fingering weight; not nearly enough yardage to the ounce for a lace weight.

As far as the new knitty goes, I actually like the squirrel hat and those nozky. I'd never wear either, but I'd like making them. And jackaroo looks like it would be perfect to knit out of some handspun--maybe I should dig up the fiber I got for my mother's sweater and make it for her.

Citrus Sky
Sep 30, 2012
Hello, I'm new to this thread, and I have a knitting dilemma.

I have four balls of Cascade 220 (a nice worsted weight wool) that I reclaimed from an ill-conceived sweater project. It's not quite enough to knit a long sleeved sweater that would fit me, but I could probably do something short sleeved. I hunted around on Ravelry, and found a pattern that I like, Berroco Gaia.

With the lace at the top and the recommended yarn, this pattern seems more intended for summertime wear. I'm trying to convince myself that if I knit it in wool, it will work for fall layered over a lightweight shirt. What do you guys think? Can you think of a better use for just under a sweater's worth of worsted weight wool? It's a nice heathered teal color.

As far as the new knitty goes, I really like Jackaroo, but I'm on a yarn diet, until I use up at least some of what I've got...

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I cannot adequately describe my loathing for reverse stockinette. I don't know why I hate it so drat much, I just can't stand the way it looks.

(I'm looking for a pattern to use two skeins of the most stunning green DK weight, and the shawls I love all seem to have reverse stockinette bodies. I know I can change that easily, but ick.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think you mean garter? That prevents curling and a visible wrong side. If it were reverse stockinette, you could just turn it around. :)

I seriously hate the look of reverse stockinette, and garter only a little less. Stockinette (or ribbing, or anything else) all the way!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I used to dislike garter stitch, but then I found a yarn that really looks good with it. I just finished a baby cardigan with it actually!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Anne Whateley posted:

I think you mean garter? That prevents curling and a visible wrong side. If it were reverse stockinette, you could just turn it around. :)

I mean patterns like this.

Or French Cancan which I adore, but hate the body of. Like I said, they're easy to change, I just think they look terrible the way they're designed.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 15, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ugh, I hate that, gently caress it forever. I can barely even handle it as the background in cable panels. I guess I was thinking garter because you mentioned shawls, like French Cancan (and I'm working on a garter shawl right now, trying to accept it).

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 16, 2013

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

left_unattended posted:

I cannot adequately describe my loathing for reverse stockinette. I don't know why I hate it so drat much, I just can't stand the way it looks.

For a start I think most people use the wrong increase on reverse stockinette and you can see it a mile away. Decreases also look bad. The other big factor is that it shows the flaws in your knitting, that your knits and purls on the same size needles are not the same size (rowing out). I was once browsing Ravelry and thought I saw an interesting pattern, turn out it was the worst rowing out you'll ever see!

In the example you posted I can see all the increases, knobbly purl stitches after the cables and a bit of rowing out and it makes me shudder.

OxnardMontalvo
Oct 6, 2005

Poor devils.
Haha, it's summer and I've just finished my first brioche stitch scarf. It's too hot to even wear it briefly for photos. I still have to wash and block it, but needed to take some photos in natural light.

The yarn was harvested from an ugly sweater I bought at GoodWill and then hand painted for the rainbow bit. The transitions aren't as smooth as I would have liked, but it's just intensely variegated throughout, so there aren't any obvious jumps. At least I have until fall to decide whether I'll wear it or send it to a friend.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
It's really pretty! How did you do the painting?

OxnardMontalvo
Oct 6, 2005

Poor devils.
Thanks! I made a crochet blank with a big N-size hook, and then mixed up a bunch of jars of Koolaid and food-coloring dye, poured it over the yarn in a baking dish, then zapped it in the microwave. It was messier than dyeing on the stove, but the colors mixed together a lot more, which makes the color shifts less abrupt.

Here's what the hank looked like(it was kind of speckled with white, so if I do another blank I'll make sure to be even looser with the stitches):

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
I was in Montana this past weekend, and I stopped by a yarn store in Ennis for a small haul. The lady was extremely nice and I even introduced her to patterns from Lisa Mutch. (It was freezing out and I was wearing my Lineage cowl and she really liked it)

(Sorry for the Instagram-y filters but I posted the photo there originally!)

L-R: Zitron Unisono (in this cool neon color...I couldn't resist!), a yarn that the shop owner handspun herself, and two skeins from Mountain Meadow Wool (which I guess you could call "local" even if it actually comes from Wyoming).

It's a small store and she carries lots of German yarn and Noro, with a small wall of Malabrigo. According to my BF, I spent at least an hour and a half shopping and talking to her (which he wasn't TOO pleased about but what can you do).

effika
Jun 19, 2005

OxnardMontalvo posted:

Thanks! I made a crochet blank with a big N-size hook, and then mixed up a bunch of jars of Koolaid and food-coloring dye, poured it over the yarn in a baking dish, then zapped it in the microwave. It was messier than dyeing on the stove, but the colors mixed together a lot more, which makes the color shifts less abrupt.

Here's what the hank looked like(it was kind of speckled with white, so if I do another blank I'll make sure to be even looser with the stitches):

Oh, I like that hank! It looks spectacular knitted up, too.

Spent all weekend looking for reasonably-priced semi-solid/shaded fingering weight yarn in a color I liked, and a cardigan pattern to go with it. In the end I asked the local yarn shop to get me 8 skeins of this bright sky blue Shibui yarn (it's much more intense in person). I was hoping for something in the wine/deep fuschia range (Mulberry was perfect), but this color was 3 bucks cheaper a skein!

Still not set on a cardigan. I'll probably just modify the Farmer's Market cardigan for fingering weight, but I'm open to suggestions. (Especially since I can't find my issue of Interweave Knits and just have some really poor photos of the pattern I saved to my computer as a back-up ages ago.)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

effika posted:

8 skeins of this bright sky blue Shibui yarn (it's much more intense in person).

I have two skeins of this colour, and I cannot decide what to do with it. I'm thinking shawl rather than sock, but I just can't find the perfect pattern. Good luck :)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
County Fair's been judged! My Faberge got an Honorable Mention ribbon.
Good thing they were judged before being put on display, because I'm pretty sure it would have won "What is this pile of poo poo" based on how they had it displayed. Could have been worse though, the Third Place shawl was hung on the hanger wrong-side out, you couldn't see the design at all.
Here it is:

A reminder of what you SHOULD be seeing:

Lata jie
Oct 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fionnoula posted:

That is georgeous. Makes me want to knit something like it.. all those beeds :)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Fionnoula posted:

Could have been worse though, the Third Place shawl was hung on the hanger wrong-side out, you couldn't see the design at all.

Why on earth don't they let the knitters hang them themselves? Or at least ask them how it should be hung, good lord.

I've just started packing for a two week holiday, and quickly realised I was going to need to ration my knitting, because it was already taking up half of my suddenly-not-that-big suitcase. I pulled a few things out and squished it down to a quarter of the space, and of course now I feel like I'm going to run out of projects :rolleyes:.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fionnoula posted:

County Fair's been judged! My Faberge got an Honorable Mention ribbon.
Good thing they were judged before being put on display, because I'm pretty sure it would have won "What is this pile of poo poo" based on how they had it displayed. Could have been worse though, the Third Place shawl was hung on the hanger wrong-side out, you couldn't see the design at all.
Here it is:

Aaaaaah why would they do that? I can see inside-out, maybe, but not even symmetrically?

Looks stunning, though!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Double-post, but with content!

This scarf hould've been finished in May, but I took my time with it. It's the Pearl-Barred Scallop Scarf by Cheri Borden, sans bars.

pearl-scarf-1 by effika, on Flickr

Here is my cat, a VERY MAJESTIC CREATURE. She likes the scarf, too.

pearl-scarf-3-kaylee by effika, on Flickr

More scarf (and cat) photos in the Flickr stream, and on my Ravelry project page.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
That's a really awesome scarf. I think I actually like your version better. The vergiation in the yarn is also really nice and subtle. There are nice changes without it being too striped if that makes sense? Also your cat knows what's up. If I could spend all day lying on peoples knitting and going, "Hey I'm a cat, deal with it" I totally would.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
I need some assistance on this pattern.

I originally posted this on Rav and messaged the pattern creator, but no one has responded. This is the second time I've tried to contact her with no response (the first time I had trouble deciphering how she wanted you to decrease on the arm). I don't have her e-mail so Rav is all I can do. Anyway.

Right now I am finished with the arm section and am moving next to the thumb gusset/hand area. I am at 54 st like the pattern states. The way the pattern knits up is band A > knit space (5 st here) > band B > knit space (21 st here). The thumb gusset is supposed to be knit on band B, and I originally decreased on the 5 st knit space (was prev 21).

This is the next part for the thumb gusset:

“When specified rows have been completed for band B, begin working the appropriate Chart 4A for you size over band B. On the first row of Chart 4A, increase 1 st at either side of band B. At the same time, increase 1 st at either side of band A on the the next, and 2 foll alt, and foll 4th rnds (to a total of 18, 22 sts in each stst panel between markers) as follows:

Slip marker, work appropriate row of Chart 1 over band A, slip marker, LLI, k to next marker, work appropriate row of Chart 4A over band B, slip marker, work to end of rnd marker, RLI.

Continue to follow Chart 4A over band B through Row 25. (85, 95 sts)”

Since there are only 5 st in between band A and band B, I feel like all the increases (aside from the increases in Chart 4A - there are 21) should be in between band A and band B (also so that band A stays straight. But the instructions say to increase on both sides of band A…

If I’m reading this right, on Row 1 of Chart 4A, do I increase on:
- both sides of band B?
- one side of band B?

And then I don’t increase around band B after that, but the increases look like this around band A:

band A > LLI > k > band B > k > RLI

So that there are increases on the left and right of band A? And that’s only where I increase other than the pattern on Chart 4A?

When it says “2 foll alt”, do I increase every two rows?

Additionally, 85 - 54 = 31. 21 st are increased from the chart alone. So doesn't that mean I can only increase to 10 st outside of the bands? Where am I doing my math wrong?

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.

ackapoo posted:

If I’m reading this right, on Row 1 of Chart 4A, do I increase on:
- both sides of band B?
- one side of band B?

And then I don’t increase around band B after that, but the increases look like this around band A:

band A > LLI > k > band B > k > RLI

So that there are increases on the left and right of band A? And that’s only where I increase other than the pattern on Chart 4A?

When it says “2 foll alt”, do I increase every two rows?

Additionally, 85 - 54 = 31. 21 st are increased from the chart alone. So doesn't that mean I can only increase to 10 st outside of the bands? Where am I doing my math wrong?

I don't own the pattern so it's hard for me to say confidently, but it looks like

1. Yes, you increase on both sides of band B. But just once.
2. Yes, increase on both sides of band A-- left and right. I think this will be easier to parse when you actually do it, I remember being confused the first time I knit a thumb gusset from a pattern but it made a lot more sense once I actually did it.
3. Yes, 2 foll alt probably means 2 following alternating rows (you might want to check if there's a glossary for the pattern itself) and foll 4th rnd probably means the 4th round after the second alternating increase. Seeing as this adds up to the 10 you're missing outside of the chart, I think the only real typo here is the "s" in foll 4th rnds, but it's hard to know without knowing visually where your markers are because of how she parses it/without owning the pattern.

4 increases in the first round (on either side of B and A), 2 increases for the first alternate row, 2 increases for the second alternate row, and then 2 increases four rows later adds up to 10. I don't know where the markers are in your work, but that should correspond to 18/22 stitches between them. If it doesn't, then something probably went wrong before you started the hand. Hope this helps!

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

I don't own the pattern so it's hard for me to say confidently, but it looks like

1. Yes, you increase on both sides of band B. But just once.
2. Yes, increase on both sides of band A-- left and right. I think this will be easier to parse when you actually do it, I remember being confused the first time I knit a thumb gusset from a pattern but it made a lot more sense once I actually did it.
3. Yes, 2 foll alt probably means 2 following alternating rows (you might want to check if there's a glossary for the pattern itself) and foll 4th rnd probably means the 4th round after the second alternating increase. Seeing as this adds up to the 10 you're missing outside of the chart, I think the only real typo here is the "s" in foll 4th rnds, but it's hard to know without knowing visually where your markers are because of how she parses it/without owning the pattern.

4 increases in the first round (on either side of B and A), 2 increases for the first alternate row, 2 increases for the second alternate row, and then 2 increases four rows later adds up to 10. I don't know where the markers are in your work, but that should correspond to 18/22 stitches between them. If it doesn't, then something probably went wrong before you started the hand. Hope this helps!

This makes so much more sense. Additionally, I DID mess up the arm because I decreased all on one side, so one of the stockinette sections were totally skewed. I mean, I would have used "increase/decrease on BOTH sides of band A/B" instead of "either side," because to me that implies that I can pick whichever side I want. Thank you so much for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I finished my first sweater recently- figured starting with a miniature version would be a good way to introduce myself to sweater making plus it has the bonus of going to one of my friends who just had a baby boy on Tuesday. I've weaved in the ends, washed it in unscented Eucalan, and mailed it off. Pattern- Newborn Vertebrae

I had started another sweater for her in a 6-9 month size that is showing some good progress and I really like the pattern and the yarn. I'm excited to go button shopping and find some really cute buttons. Pattern- Assisted Hatching