Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So I'm going to concur that Super is hosed up and amazing and people should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

precision posted:

Kick rear end would have been a much better movie if it had been entirely about Big Daddy and Hit Girl.

Super is great but it made me kind of uncomfortable with That One Ellen Page Scene. I mean I love James Gunn most of the time but drat dude that was kinda creepy.

Super gets points for fulfilling the Michael Rooker from the Walking Dead dies pattern. It's a pretty deranged movie overall including a hentai tentacle parody scene and Nathan Fillion as a Bible superhero minor role.

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 21, 2013

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006
Make sure you watch Rolling Thunder. It's got a Death Wish kind of vibe to it with a super young Tommy Lee Jones and William Devane as the lead killing people with his hook hand. And 2 minutes of Dabney Coleman.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fromagex posted:

Make sure you watch Rolling Thunder. It's got a Death Wish kind of vibe to it with a super young Tommy Lee Jones and William Devane as the lead killing people with his hook hand. And 2 minutes of Dabney Coleman.

Holy poo poo this is on Netflix? This movie is AMAZING. Stop what you're doing right now and watch it.

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006

Joe Don Baker posted:

Holy poo poo this is on Netflix? This movie is AMAZING. Stop what you're doing right now and watch it.

Yes it is. Went up earlier this week. It is amazing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

He was alright in Superbad but... yeah.

Oh, and he was fine in How to Train Your Dragon, I guess.

Reading about the sequel, it just sounds awful, but... well, at least Chloe is back, and Jim Carrey might be alright, depending on whether this is a phone-in role or one where he actually tries.

Honestly I don't know where the Mintz-Plasse hate is coming from. He hasn't really been in many movies at all, and most of the ones he's appeared in have at least been pretty good or at least not been movies where he was the problem. He was fine in Role Models for example and he also was pretty good in ParaNorman.

Also, regarding Kick rear end 2, if the trialer is anything to go by, Carrey appears to be the best part. The movie looks painfully generic but Carrey seems amazing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fromagex posted:

Yes it is. Went up earlier this week. It is amazing.

NeuroticErotica recommended to me a few years ago because I'm a revenge film junkie. At that point I couldn't find it anywhere and had to track it down with great difficulty. Definitely worth it. So glad it's easy to watch now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just noticed that the excellent BBC adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Going Postal is up. It is very well done!

Spanrah
May 6, 2006
These are small, Those are far away

morestuff posted:

Yeah, but I don't know if they'll bother to upload the first half early or wait until the full season is finished.

On UK Netflix they have the half of Season 5 that exists currently up, so it may be the same for the US when they get round to it!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I watched Super last night and all I could do the entire time is :stare:. I liked it overall I guess.

EDIT
I love this thread though. You guys remove a lot of guesswork.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 22, 2013

Tubba Blubba
Jul 14, 2011

Nthing the excellent Super. I felt uncomfortable throughout the film, but it was a good sort of discomfort.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tubba Blubba posted:

Nthing the excellent Super. I felt uncomfortable throughout the film, but it was a good sort of discomfort.

The real star of the movie was actually Ellen Page as a insane sidekick plus the hilarious height contrast between the dynamic duo for things such
as the gun store shopping spree.

Plus the brilliant bait and switch from the colorful, happy comic book intro visuals that made me think it would be a more cheerful humorous movie.

It's a pretty soul crushing film contrast to the movie splatstick violence in Kick-rear end.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 21, 2013

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

precision posted:

Just noticed that the excellent BBC adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Going Postal is up. It is very well done!

Sky made that, not the BBC.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The climax and ending of Branded is making me nearly scream. It's stupid,overall stupid.

But then again I'm studying to sell you all lies :v: Also, all it did is making me want to buy a big juicy burger.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Speaking of movies with rear end in the title, definitely recommending Bad rear end starring the one and only Danny Trejo. 90 mins of Trejo being a bad-rear end. What else do you need? Oh, it also has Charles S. Dutton and Ron Perlman.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 22, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mental Midget posted:

Bad rear end starring the one and only Danny Trejo. 90 mins of Trejo being a bad-rear end. What else do you need? Oh, it also has Charles S. Dutton and Ron Perlman.

Good ol' Amber Lamps.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Has anyone else seen el infeirno? The movie is about an illegal immigrant deported back to Mexico after 20 years. He finds his brother recently murdered and himself in the middle of the drug trade. Extremely violent, I'd actually like to see the death toll from this thing. They have to be like Rambo numbers. But pretty good story and good acting. Very gritty. I'd give it 4.5 stars.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The Avengers is streaming now although I doubt very many haven't already seen it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Wilhelm Scream posted:

The Avengers is streaming now although I doubt very many haven't already seen it.

I did see the bloopers yesterday.

Go get em Thor!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Probably a conspiracy by Netflix to increase shawarma sales?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Seriously? drat. I like it when "big, recent" movies show up because I am a cheap bastard and hate Redboxing them.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Super is great but it made me kind of uncomfortable with That One Ellen Page Scene. I mean I love James Gunn most of the time but drat dude that was kinda creepy.

James Gunn was in a bit of hot water earlier this year for making creepy comments about comic book ladies on a website, knowing that that scene becomes a lot more uncomfortable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

...of SCIENCE! posted:

James Gunn was in a bit of hot water earlier this year for making creepy comments about comic book ladies on a website, knowing that that scene becomes a lot more uncomfortable.

I met him once and he seemed like a nice guy who doesn't know how he sounds like to other people. The stuff he says is probably intended as "hey I used to hang with the TROMA crew" but the way he says it always sounds more like "hey I am kind of a weirdo". As much as I liked Lollipop Chainsaw, some of his comments about that were pretty off-color too, and it was hard to tell if he was joking or not.

To be fair, Jenna Fischer has only ever said nice things about him, even post-divorce, so maybe he's just a doofus with a big mouth. :shrug:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

PaganGoatPants posted:

I did see the bloopers yesterday.

Go get em Thor!

Is that a real blooper? That is amazing.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

der juicen posted:

Is that a real blooper? That is amazing.
It's mesmerizing.

Looks like a blooper reel is one of the extras on the DVD. I couldn't find a good version on Youtube, but here's the whole thing on vimeo: http://vimeo.com/48114558

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It's mesmerizing.

Looks like a blooper reel is one of the extras on the DVD. I couldn't find a good version on Youtube, but here's the whole thing on vimeo: http://vimeo.com/48114558

Looks like The Avengers owned to work on. Also, had no idea of how much was green screened. :aaaaa:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

der juicen posted:

Looks like The Avengers owned to work on. Also, had no idea of how much was green screened. :aaaaa:

If you think that's amazing watch behind the scenes of tv shows. Most of the exterior/walking around scenes for a show like Law and Order are filmed on greenscreen. http://youtu.be/clnozSXyF4k and http://youtu.be/WhN1STep_zk are done by the same company.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 23, 2013

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
It probably been mentioned but Tremors completely owns. If I had the time I'd gif Reba McIntyre firing pistols at a giant sandworm.

A movie I loved as a child that completely holds up.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Tubba Blubba posted:

Wow, yes. Frank's journey is incredible, though I think Page was just a bit too cartoonish. The final scene is really a gut punch though. Great movie.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

red19fire posted:

Wow, yes. Frank's journey is incredible, though I think Page was just a bit too cartoonish. The final scene is really a gut punch though. Great movie.

I can't think of too many other movies where seeing the villain get his comeuppance was so joyless and, I dunno, not cathartic. I know they exist, I just can't think of one right now. Maybe Taxi Driver, I guess.

I probably didn't need to spoiler that, but what the hell.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Just watched Miami Connection . Holy frijoles, that movie was great. Needs to be on a double bill with The Room - they have the same batshit insane sincerity.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Whoops, wrong thread

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 23, 2013

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DangerDummy! posted:

I can't think of too many other movies where seeing the villain get his comeuppance was so joyless and, I dunno, not cathartic. I know they exist, I just can't think of one right now. Maybe Taxi Driver, I guess.

I probably didn't need to spoiler that, but what the hell.

I agree, I think that's what makes it so intense: it's not a heroic thing nor does it solve anything. Frank's not a hero, he's just a guy in a costume killing another guy who wronged him, and loses both girls in the end anyway There's a Confucian proverb, "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" which I think is the underlying theme of any good revenge movie. Your enemy goes in one, your humanity in the other. Someone far more knowledgeable than I could probably expound better but I think revenge movies work better if there's a hollowness at the end, the audience should be uneasy about the cost of the protagonist's revenge.

Coincidentally, the Kevin Bacon movie Death Sentence explores that theme as well.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

foodfight posted:

It probably been mentioned but Tremors completely owns. If I had the time I'd gif Reba McIntyre firing pistols at a giant sandworm.

A movie I loved as a child that completely holds up.

Tremors was good. It held up better than I expected. Now to watch the sequels :v:

Also gif cam is cool, that took me like 2 minutes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I didn't like Cabin in the Woods. You led me wrong, thread. <:saddowns:>

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Except his comments were so tongue in cheek that people got upset over nothing. I don't think it was a particularly funny joke but I also can't really believe that people thought Gunn made a blog post detailing comic book characters he'd like to gently caress and thought he was being serious.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Oh god... Miami Connection

I am a Taekwondo instructor and have known who Y K Kim is for a long time. I remember seeing him on the cover of Martial Arts World magazine all the time (He founded MAW). When I saw Miami Connection recommended here and pulled it up on Netflix, I couldn't believe it when I saw his name in the credits. Try googling Y K Kim, and you'll discover there is even more to this movie than just another so bad it's good B film.

Honestly though, the "practice scene" in the middle is the most embarrassing part of the whole thing.

Apparently the movie was basically lost forever until last year when Alamo Drafthouse Films brought it back from the dead. Kim even did a AMA on reddit 6 months ago. :haw:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Oh god... Miami Connection

I am a Taekwondo instructor and have known who Y K Kim is for a long time. I remember seeing him on the cover of Martial Arts World magazine all the time (He founded MAW). When I saw Miami Connection recommended here and pulled it up on Netflix, I couldn't believe it when I saw his name in the credits. Try googling Y K Kim, and you'll discover there is even more to this movie than just another so bad it's good B film.

Honestly though, the "practice scene" in the middle is the most embarrassing part of the whole thing.

At a certain point I thought to myself "This does not strike me as black belt material." Like, the guy is presumably good at this to have opened schools and stuff, but even the bit where he's on his own looks stiff.

Also, my Blu Ray player's interface is not listing some ST: TNG episodes as available even though the website shows them as such. I'm familiar with individual movies doing this but this seems more difficult to work around.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Pick posted:

It's very love it or hate it, like most of Whedon's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pick posted:

Hey be fair, any time it comes up at least a few people point out that it's actually awful, ugly, and unfunny with a dumb message and a lot of incoherent imagery.

• Locked thread