Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

FogHelmut posted:

What stood out to me was that they were being lowered down the cliff. Adam did a particularly bad job of pretending to hold onto the triple rope they made, and I don't believe for a second he has the strength to do so anyway. And I really don't believe they were actually belaying each other.
I thought so to, they never do anything like that without 2 layers of backup safety harnessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I rarely watch Mythbusters but you guys have me wanting to see Jamie mortally afraid.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Supreme Allah posted:

If you find yourself stranded in the wild with a pallet of duct tape, don't do what the Mythbusters did.

Exactly. You should rappel down a cliff face with duck tape. Or, at the very least, wrap yourself in the tape sticky side out and roll down the side of the canyon.

They also didn't explain how you should make a shiv with the tape in case your food runs out and you have to kill and eat your traveling companion.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

wormil posted:

I rarely watch Mythbusters but you guys have me wanting to see Jamie mortally afraid.
It's pretty astounding, his affected monotone has never broken like it during the entire run of the show. To be fair dangling over a craggy canyon from the height they were dealing with would be totally terrifying to anyone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They kind of pointed out the other time he completely freaked out which was the duct tape bridge.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

muscles like this? posted:

They kind of pointed out the other time he completely freaked out which was the duct tape bridge.
He was definitely shaky and hesitant that time, but he was on the verge of whimpering this time out, fakery or not! It was jarring.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I know the feeling from my first rappel and I was using a rope harness.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
gently caress me, I enjoyed Naked and Afraid...

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Welp. If I'd known that the entirety of Nic Walenda's walk across the Grand Canyon (not actually the Grand Canyon itself) would consist of him yelling "OH GOD PRAISE JESUS, JESUS IS MY ONE AND ONLY LORD" I might have re-thought my viewing choices for the night.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

berserker posted:

Welp. If I'd known that the entirety of Nic Walenda's walk across the Grand Canyon (not actually the Grand Canyon itself) would consist of him yelling "OH GOD PRAISE JESUS, JESUS IS MY ONE AND ONLY LORD" I might have re-thought my viewing choices for the night.
I'm watching a rerun the moment and he does indeed sound like a raving maniac. He just keeps rambling!

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Well 2 minutes into Naked and Afraid and they show what a rotting foot looks like after getting bit by a snake in the area these people are going to be attempting to survive. I didn't expect that and kind of wish I wasn't eating left over Chili from wendy's.

The executive producer got bit by one of the most poisonous snakes in Costa Rica and nearly lost his foot - he was missing a good chunk of it in the footage they showed.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I thought so to, they never do anything like that without 2 layers of backup safety harnessing.

In the aftershow they said that the rope itself was duct tape, but the harness was proper safety gear that was just masked with duct tape.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Apparently Walenda's grandfather is the one that I mentioned before, that was famous for falling on camera (In Puerto Rico.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Great job, Keith and Freddy. :wtc:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just don't give a poo poo about what's going on with the Wizard. I'll put it on mute and do something else or skip it on DVR. It's just not interesting to watch them chew up yet another greenhorn who isn't quite cut for this job.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The crew members of the Kiska Sea seem like a real bunch of assholes.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah, that poo poo doesn't even count as hazing. They're just dicks.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I want Freddy to go back to the Cornelia. :saddowns:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Madurai posted:

Yeah, that poo poo doesn't even count as hazing. They're just dicks.

I get the impression that the Kiska Sea crew watches the show so now they're gonna see how far they can go before Jake snaps.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Emetic Hustler posted:

In the aftershow they said that the rope itself was duct tape, but the harness was proper safety gear that was just masked with duct tape.

Why the hell would they do this? Usually it's just implicit that when they're trying to scale or descend a high place using an untested, possibly-unsafe method that there'll always be safety harnesses in place to ensure they don't die. Making the safety gear look like duct tape is just irresponsible.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I get the impression that the Kiska Sea crew watches the show so now they're gonna see how far they can go before Jake snaps.

They seem like a pretty no-bullshit type of crew that doesn't really want the cameras on their boat, at least thats the impression I got.

Also I liked how Keith hit they guy and then told him how unacceptable it was. I wish Freddie was on Elliot's boat.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I kind of wanted Bill's son to open up about how crappy his dad treats him sometime, but Bill was right about one thing, his son doesn't really have the courage to confront him on anything. His son even said it on deck, Wild Bill has no problem questioning his son's manhood when he makes a mistake in front of the crew and cameras, but doesn't like it when his son does it back. Really wish he had stood up for himself a little in the wheelhouse instead of letting Bill paint himself as the victim in all of this.

That isn't to say that Bill's son doesn't have some blame, his attitude does kind of stink.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it looks like Discovery isn't yet tired of milking the "SKYWIRE" event as Sunday they're doing another special which is just going to be an interview with Nik Wallenda.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I would seriously watch a special episode of Mythbusters where they just spend the whole day at New Mexico Tech and wreck poo poo with rocket sleds.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Supreme Allah posted:

If you find yourself stranded in the wild with a pallet of duct tape, don't do what the Mythbusters did.

Instead ask for directions from home depot employees, because the backyard of one of their stores is about the wildest place you can find a pallet of duct tape. Why people even take duct tape survival tips seriously?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Crazy Ted posted:

Jake can't seem to face up to the facts, he's tense and nervous and he can't relax.
He can't sleep 'cause his quota's on fire, don't touch him he's a real live wire.
Psycho crab boat, kiska sea.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?

Gorilla Salad posted:

When it comes to actual survival techniques, Discovery has always been pretty crappy

Survivorman is not crappy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Survivorman was done entirely by Les Stroud for OLN. :colbert:

What an amazing show. That guy's a beast.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Survivorman is incredible, and more than one person has credited the show with teaching them things that saved them in actual survival scenarios -

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/2008/04/04/tv_reality_show_saved_my_life_snowmobiler_says.html

E - The second link was about Man vs Wild and screw that guy.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 29, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, Man vs Wild is what I constantly see and that show is so loving stupid I'm surprised there aren't corpses being found in the wilderness next to messages scrawled in their own urine reading "gently caress you Bear Grylls".

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, Man vs Wild is what I constantly see and that show is so loving stupid I'm surprised there aren't corpses being found in the wilderness next to messages scrawled in their own urine reading "gently caress you Bear Grylls".

I still can't believe that drinking your own piss is in any way a valid survivor tactic.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TaurusOxford posted:

I still can't believe that drinking your own piss is in any way a valid survivor tactic.

It might reduce the rate at which you're losing water through urinating, but even then you're drinking your own kidney waste. It would probably make you sick pretty quickly and/or dehydrate you more than just not drinking anything. Eventually you'd probably also be pissing pure urea, squeezing it out like toothpaste.

Or, more likely you'd be dead before that even happened.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think drinking piss is one of last ditch things when you're about to die anyway.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"Naked and Afraid - Uncensored" :what:

Not that I expected (or wanted) to actually see any of these people nude but seriously why would Discovery even bother calling it that when it's the exact same show only with annoying Twitter comments popping up

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Because we're at the point where actively lying to the audience is completely acceptable and the status quo on these kinds of networks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hazo posted:

"Naked and Afraid - Uncensored" :what:

Not that I expected (or wanted) to actually see any of these people nude but seriously why would Discovery even bother calling it that when it's the exact same show only with annoying Twitter comments popping up

I saw the last ten or so minutes of ep1 and it wasn't as terrible as expected.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

25 quarts of water?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ahahahahaha Keith

"Okay so I just found out that senior deckhand Lenny told the relief captain to gently caress off this morning. IT'S THE GREENHORN'S FAULT BECAUSE HE STARTED THE NEGATIVE VIBES ON THIS BOAT."

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I honestly think they hire greenhorns on the wizard and spit them out just so they don't fulfill their contract and get paid even less than what a greenhorn would make because Keith is a tightass piece of poo poo. I love the part where they end up a man down cause the greenhorn quits and then they whine about being a man down. You fuckers poo poo in the bathtub, now you gotta bathe in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

He doesn't like the abuse so they abuse him until he breaks and quits and then get pissed him for quitting. :wtc:

• Locked thread