Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm occasionally down that way, but I'm telling you, find the bar in Pingtung called "Jimmy's" if you haven't already.

Just found it on Facebook with a map, I'll go check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just make sure Jimmy knows you like gaoliang.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I am in Kaohsiung and I can drink beer and other liquor but gently caress gaoliang. I am moving this weekend but I'm almost always around and I'm up for some drinks. Email me or join the Taiwan goon facebook group. taogeht at gmail

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

thegoat posted:

I am in Kaohsiung and I can drink beer and other liquor but gently caress gaoliang. I am moving this weekend but I'm almost always around and I'm up for some drinks. Email me or join the Taiwan goon facebook group. taogeht at gmail

Is there a different Taiwan Goon Facebook group? I'm pretty sure this thread is about a million times more active than that is. I think part of the reason is that there's not a lot of reason for goons in different regions of the island to organize stuff together and the ones that all live in Taipei hangout regularly anyway.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is there a different Taiwan Goon Facebook group? I'm pretty sure this thread is about a million times more active than that is. I think part of the reason is that there's not a lot of reason for goons in different regions of the island to organize stuff together and the ones that all live in Taipei hangout regularly anyway.

I think the only other goon I see is Payback Jack, and that's pretty incidentally as we both go to Caca City for Tuesday gaming.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
As you just said on Facebook, you aren't allowed to be an alcoholic, and that's a pretty big part of what makes the Taipei dynamic work.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
You are correct that this is a way more active forum than the facebook page, but with facebook you can put names and faces to nicknames!

Also I think most goons live in Taipei anyway.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Since Taiwan is a province or the real China, you guys should all get wechat and set up a wechat group. Easier to post links snap photos and do smart phone poo poo.

The goat is a lurker in our harmonized mainland channel and we have a few lurkers in sa being super active in the wechat channel.

Or a line group since Taiwan likes to imitate Japan. LINE does have much better emoticons and photo editing. But no shake shake to see crazy people.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

Since Taiwan is a province or the real China, you guys should all get wechat and set up a wechat group. Easier to post links snap photos and do smart phone poo poo.

The goat is a lurker in our harmonized mainland channel and we have a few lurkers in sa being super active in the wechat channel.

Or a line group since Taiwan likes to imitate Japan. LINE does have much better emoticons and photo editing. But no shake shake to see crazy people.

Wow, rude.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Does anyone have any experience with the fitness center near CKS? I was thinking of signing up for Formosa Fitness because I haven't lifted anything heavier than a small child since I moved here, but the public gym came recommended from a friend and if it's any decent I'd love to just pay 50NT a couple times a week to do some squatz.

Problem is it is a bit far, but despite hearing about all these public fitness centers all over the place, the CKS one is the only I've heard of in greater Taipei. If anyone can recommend one closer to Yonghe, that'd be cool.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

caberham posted:

Since Taiwan is a province or the real China

Option B. Definitely option B.

quote:

Does anyone have any experience with the fitness center near CKS? I was thinking of signing up for Formosa Fitness because I haven't lifted anything heavier than a small child since I moved here, but the public gym came recommended from a friend and if it's any decent I'd love to just pay 50NT a couple times a week to do some squatz.

Problem is it is a bit far, but despite hearing about all these public fitness centers all over the place, the CKS one is the only I've heard of in greater Taipei. If anyone can recommend one closer to Yonghe, that'd be cool.

Yonghe is definitely way the gently caress out there, you might be better of heading to the one at wanfang hospital station? Over on the brown line. I think there's one over around there. The CKS gym is pretty great, the machinery is kind of old but the free weights are pretty much as advertised. It's kind of hard to gently caress up heavy thing on a stick.

Can't find a website for it or anything. Googling around suggests that these sports centers, although pretty uniform in general, are sadly afflicted by yet another inexplicable decision by the city government. They each appear to have their own websites and social media presence. They don't even have any obvious links to each other on those pages as far as I can see.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 18, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

I think there's a sports center near Zhongshan station somewhere. There's also one in Neihu, but that's definitely out there and not really close to an MRT station at all.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

duckfarts posted:

I think there's a sports center near Zhongshan station somewhere. There's also one in Neihu, but that's definitely out there and not really close to an MRT station at all.

I regularly go to the sports center near Zhongshan. It's got its own charms. The weight machines are actually really nice. They have digital rep counters and are new and in fairly good repair. They definitely have better ellipticals if you're a big long-legged waiguoren and that's your jam. CKS has a better abdominal press machine in my opinion, and more machines/different machines.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
http://ck101.com/thread-2753581-1-1.html

My facebook has been covered with this for 8 hours now. I'm not even offended that male Taiwanese university students are offended by this(since I am as well), but it is kind of disheartening seeing ~歪果仁~ posted by the same people I'm chatting with about the instruments we are teaching and the musical theory involved(all in Mandarin) while they literally poo poo on "外國" the country. :smith:

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

this is a stickup posted:

http://ck101.com/thread-2753581-1-1.html

My facebook has been covered with this for 8 hours now. I'm not even offended that male Taiwanese university students are offended by this(since I am as well), but it is kind of disheartening seeing ~歪果仁~ posted by the same people I'm chatting with about the instruments we are teaching and the musical theory involved(all in Mandarin) while they literally poo poo on "外國" the country. :smith:

Despite all the weird, nasty poo poo floating around out in the dark corners of the web like goatse, lemon party and worse, there is still nothing that makes me as speechless as the ranting, racist blog posts by foreigners about their chosen country of residence.

:aaaaa:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ahahaha I saw that pop up on my facebook, shared by a few people. I didn't actually go back to read it until I saw you two mention it in here.

Terrible opinions by a terrible person. Also, the random pictures are kinda confusing because it's by an ABC, so it should just have pictures of standard Taiwanese couples on there.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, this just popped up on my Facebook and I don't think I've ever been so disgusted. Aside from it being terribly written, it's just laden with venom and vitriol. I hope his super awesome Taiwanese girlfriend dumps his rear end for it.

Literally the first Taiwanese girl I ever met watched the new Battlestar Galactica with me and Tarantino films between episodes and thought they were all the most amazing things ever. She didn't even want to have sex until she knew me better, which involved going out and doing things like hiking and visiting art museums while having conversations about our hopes, dreams, and pasts.

I've met enough guys here that aren't total assholes who have equally amazing girlfriends to know that problems in the dating scene have way more to do with who you are than some dumb stereotype of girls in Taiwan.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Not really sure what to say about this.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/06/06/taiwan-introduces-the-future-of-cartography-nationwide-school-uniform-maps/

http://weather.datamining.tw/uniform/

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010
I'm a Korea goon currently and am coming to Taiwan for a week this summer (end of July/start of August)for vacation and also to scope Taiwan out as a potential place to live and work next year.
We're planning to stay for a couple of days in Taipei and then go down towards the South of the island to have a nice relaxing beach vacation.

Any tips or advice for good places to see, places to stay or things to do would be very much appreciated. I've read a few of the holiday guides and skimmed this thread but advice from anyone who's over there now would be great.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

USDA Choice posted:

Despite all the weird, nasty poo poo floating around out in the dark corners of the web like goatse, lemon party and worse, there is still nothing that makes me as speechless as the ranting, racist blog posts by foreigners about their chosen country of residence.

:aaaaa:

Impotent rage and incoherent self-loathing - this I have no problem with.

Dissing Bieber - gently caress you in the eye!

:nws:

http://imgur.com/sugiqcW

url fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 20, 2013

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
That article that was posted didn't even make sense to me. Maybe it's because as Ravendas said, I got to the part where the guy said he was an ABC and yet there were the pictures of Asian girls with white guys. I really thought maybe each paragraph was being written by a different person because it just was difficult to even comprehend.

So, forgive me for asking, but what's the story about that? Just some random guy posting some racist, sexist vitriol against Taiwanese women in poorly-written English? Did he also write it in Chinese or is that website providing a translation? I mean is it anyone of any importance/interest or is it just something that people found on the internet and decided to get into a frenzy about?

The only thing I saw on my FB this morning was a bunch of posts about a Turkish guy accused of sexual assault, seems like a lot of bad news regarding foreigners and Taiwanese women has been popping up in the past 24 hours.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

POCKET CHOMP posted:

So, forgive me for asking, but what's the story about that? Just some random guy posting some racist, sexist vitriol against Taiwanese women in poorly-written English? Did he also write it in Chinese or is that website providing a translation? I mean is it anyone of any importance/interest or is it just something that people found on the internet and decided to get into a frenzy about?

The image I just edited into my post above yours - it pretty much sums it up.

The Chinese is added translation so that the targets of his (quite frankly hilarious) rage, can enjoy it too.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I think it's kind of interesting/cool, though it's obviously also a creep magnet.

welp

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Inevitablelongshot posted:

I'm a Korea goon currently...

Guys, he's not on our list. *checks list again* sorry, can't vouch for him as a cool bro. :ohdear:

China goons are visiting Korea and thought I should remind y'all that we are continuing our welcome committee traditions. Just pop in the thread and let us know if you are visiting.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
The images don't actually have anything to do with the author, it's just image-searched filler so the readers aren't scared off by :words:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Waa! Waa! Waa! I'm a big baby! Taiwanese girls just want to gently caress and don't give TWO SHITS about GOOOD movies, just that HOLLyWOOD CRAAAp! You can't even have a DECENT conversation with them, loving shallow gold diggers. You know what she wanted to do after blowing me for the EIGHTH HUNDREDTH TIME??? Shopping. WHAT A BITCH.

Sigh. I'm not even being that hyperbolic.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

DontAskKant posted:

Guys, he's not on our list. *checks list again* sorry, can't vouch for him as a cool bro. :ohdear:

I'll rephrase that to "person who happens to be a goon and who happens to work in Korea."

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

POCKET CHOMP posted:

That article that was posted didn't even make sense to me. Maybe it's because as Ravendas said, I got to the part where the guy said he was an ABC and yet there were the pictures of Asian girls with white guys. I really thought maybe each paragraph was being written by a different person because it just was difficult to even comprehend.

The guy starts out with some valid criticisms. I do think it is fair to say that many Taiwanese girls have some fairly naive viewpoints towards men (especially foreigners). Many of them have this warped Walt Disney fairly tale life in their heads, and expect Prince Charming to come and take them away someday. It's an unhealthy belief and I think it is partly why a lot of girls are so easily taken advantage of by foreigners.

The article/blog quickly looses focus though. The jist I got of it after skimming the middle to end is a lot of "Taiwan girls are bitches" and ill-thought u ranting.

Edit:

Also this

Atlas Hugged posted:

Waa! Waa! Waa! I'm a big baby! Taiwanese girls just want to gently caress and don't give TWO SHITS about GOOOD movies, just that HOLLyWOOD CRAAAp! You can't even have a DECENT conversation with them, loving shallow gold diggers. You know what she wanted to do after blowing me for the EIGHTH HUNDREDTH TIME??? Shopping. WHAT A BITCH.

Sigh. I'm not even being that hyperbolic.

Atlas Hugged put it better.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I read way more of that than I should, but down toward the bottom where it gets really crazy, it also starts to look like it wasn't written by a native English speaker. And not just like with grammar mistakes that would be made by a native speaker, but using the wrong articles and stuff that are pretty typical of native Chinese speakers so...

I don't know. Is it too :tinfoil: to say the ridiculous parts about ripping Taiwanese girls apart with your monster foreign cock were probably added by a Cosmos People guy butthurt about all the girls going for whiteguoren?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Inevitablelongshot posted:

I'll rephrase that to "person who happens to be a goon and who happens to work in Korea."

Not exactly on topic, but why? Lurker and think it's too negative? Popped into our kakao group and didn't like it?

Bloodnose posted:

were probably added by a Cosmos People guy butthurt about all the girls going for whiteguoren?

Wait, are the Cosmos People guys no tongue in cheek?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
No idea. But even if they are, they're channeling real feelings that exist. Poe's Law and all that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Bloodnose posted:

No idea. But even if they are, they're channeling real feelings that exist. Poe's Law and all that.

Yeah, that's the scary part about this. I've talked to enough guys out here to know that they really do think there is a specific category you can stick all Taiwanese women into and any guy who has a girlfriend that doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what a Taiwanese girlfriend is like "just got lucky".

The, "Oh, I'd be totally happy if I just had a girlfriend like yours, but I don't know where to find one of those," kind of bullshit.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
The blog post ... :barf: I complain a lot about misogyny among expats but that is seriously one of the worst expat rants I've ever seen. It's like a parody of itself. Never can understand men who only hang out in sleazy bars and then act shocked that the only women they find are trashy. If he got a professional job, studied at university, got involved in hiking/music/sports/some kind of club etc he would learn that there's all kinds of people in Taiwan just like anywhere else. Of course, the reality is that the OP of that rant is just as shallow as the women he hates, so he will never realize that.

I think these people also forget that gold diggers exist back home, too. LV and Gucci weren't invented in Asia.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The best part is always that the guys who complain about girls going out to bars looking for guys to gently caress spend most of their time going out to bars looking for girls to gently caress. :iiam:

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

DontAskKant posted:

Not exactly on topic, but why? Lurker and think it's too negative? Popped into our kakao group and didn't like it?

I'll skim the thread every once in a while, as you say it can be pretty negative but even that is usually done in an entertaining way. I'm in a decent after-school job with short hours, almost never see my boss, like the area that I'm living in (HBC) and have a clear exit strategy next year, so really don't have a lot to contribute on the entertainment front in the Korea thread. Last year would have been a different story but I wasn't on the forums as much then.

fardoche
May 29, 2013
Hello fellows :) I've been offered a position with Shane English school in Taichung. It's located in Nantun, South Da Dun Road I believe is the address. It opened a year ago, in June 2012 and it's a block away from Costco.

Anyways, I've emailed my recruiter back to get more info but I thought I could get some answers here. I'd like to know if anyone here knows anything about that particular school? Anyone maybe taught there in the past?

Where's the best place to look for a nice apartment in these parts without breaking the bank? How far is it from the interesting places to hang around? It seems to be in a good location on the map though.

Also, if there are any goons living in Taichung, I'd be glad to grab a beer when I get there. I should be arriving in Taichung on July 25 late at night.

fardoche fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 21, 2013

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Just had Mr. Sausage last night and hot drat it's a party in flavortown over there. Everything there absolutely owned.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

fardoche posted:

Hello fellows :) I've been offered a position with Shane English school in Taichung. It's located in Nantun, South Da Dun Road I believe is the address. It opened a year ago, in June 2012 and it's a block away from Costco.

Anyways, I've emailed my recruiter back to get more info but I thought I could get some answers here. I'd like to know if anyone here knows anything about that particular school? Anyone maybe taught there in the past?

Where's the best place to look for a nice apartment in these parts without breaking the bank? How far is it from the interesting places to hang around? It seems to be in a good location on the map though.

Also, if there are any goons living in Taichung, I'd be glad to grab a beer when I get there. I should be arriving in Taichung on July 25 late at night.

I'm in Taichung, but it looks like I'm on my way out of it. Probably won't leave until around mid-August though so maybe can try having a beer or something. I can help you with questions about the city in the mean time.

If your working in that area you will want to try to find a place to live near the SOGO (just type "SOGO" into google maps when your looking at the city). There is a big park near there, and you can find a lot of foreigners around there. You should expect to pay around $10-12,000 a month for a nice furnished 2 bedroom apartment. I'm sure the people at Shane will help you find an apartment, but lot's of people have mixed results finding places with their bosses help I've noticed. Good luck.

Taichung isn't a bad place to live. My biggest complaint would be the lack of public transit (besides the confusing bus lines). It's about 2-3 hours by bus from all the other major cities, but getting to the East coast is a bit of a pain in the rear end because most times you have to go around the mountains through Taipei or Kaohsiung. You can also get out to the mountains relatively easily, and the largest lake in Taiwan is a few hours away by bus (though you can't swim it :rolleyes: ).

fardoche
May 29, 2013

HappyHelmet posted:

I'm in Taichung, but it looks like I'm on my way out of it. Probably won't leave until around mid-August though so maybe can try having a beer or something. I can help you with questions about the city in the mean time.

If your working in that area you will want to try to find a place to live near the SOGO (just type "SOGO" into google maps when your looking at the city). There is a big park near there, and you can find a lot of foreigners around there. You should expect to pay around $10-12,000 a month for a nice furnished 2 bedroom apartment. I'm sure the people at Shane will help you find an apartment, but lot's of people have mixed results finding places with their bosses help I've noticed. Good luck.

Taichung isn't a bad place to live. My biggest complaint would be the lack of public transit (besides the confusing bus lines). It's about 2-3 hours by bus from all the other major cities, but getting to the East coast is a bit of a pain in the rear end because most times you have to go around the mountains through Taipei or Kaohsiung. You can also get out to the mountains relatively easily, and the largest lake in Taiwan is a few hours away by bus (though you can't swim it :rolleyes: ).

Hey HappyHelmet! Thanks for your reply. How far would SOGO be from Costco approximately? I'd have preferred to live close to my school, but I assume it's gotta be a whole lot easier for a newcomer to live close to other expats. Guess buying a scooter is inevitable huh.

10-12K for a 2-bedroom furnished apt. sounds good. Do they have a small kitchen at that price? I've been looking at some ads on 591.com.tw but I didn't really know where to look.

I figured I couldn't rely too much on my school for the apt. I already know a guy from another forum who's been living in Taichung for a while. He's now married and all. He said he'd be glad to help me out once I arrive so I'll ask for his help to find a place.

No place is perfect, but from what I've read, weather wise and money wise at least, Taichung is more interesting than Taipei. What do you think?

1. Any particular classifieds websites or facebook pages I should look at to find a place? Most websites seem to be about Taipei.

2. Are you Canadian by any chance? I'm wondering what bank I should do business with in Taiwan. And the best way to send money back home.

3. I'm also wondering if I should buy clothing here before I leave. I'm neither tall nor big so are there any good places to shop for cheap but quality clothes in Taichung? Dress shirts and ties mostly, and more casual clothing.

I hope we can meet for a drink before you leave! Thanks again for your help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
A scooter will be pretty much inevitable in Taichung unless you plan on working out all the bus routes. I've always enjoyed visiting Taichung, but if my friend's girlfriend didn't have a car getting around would be a much bigger pain in the rear end. I lived/stayed in Taichung for two months and have visited many times over the past couple years, and the weather is just all around better. Best weather in Taiwan honestly. It's also reasonably cheap, 12k wouldn't go very far in rent for anywhere clean or convenient in Taipei. As far as more interesting I'll have to yield to someone who's spent more time in each. I can say though I've never felt bored in either city or that there wasn't anything fun to do.

Don't know about any special pages but here are some 591 apartments sorted for your location and price if you hadn't done that yet.

I'm not Canadian but I've used Taishin bank and MegaBank in Taiwan, neither has been particularly stellar nor lovely. Wire transfers to the US seem to run at least $300NT but that's hearsay as I've never done one myself.

If you aren't particularly wide or tall, don't worry too much about clothing. You'll still have to look a little harder than at home to find stuff that fits, but it's not like searching for the holy grail. Deodorant is probably the most important thing to bring.