Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Probably my favorite Carmela moment is when she goes to see the psychiatrist that Melfi recommended, and he just cuts through all the bullshit and lays it out on the line,"Your husband is a criminal, you are an enabler. You must take yourself and your children and cut off all contact with him. There is no alternative, I am not going to allow you to justify your complicity in his crimes."

Given that ultimatum, she comes to the only conclusion she can - Tony has to pay for her spec house.

Actually she makes him pay the 50k to Meadow's colllege and bankroll her trip to Rome. The spec house was the price he had to pay to get back together with him at the end of season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jerusalem posted:

Probably my favorite Carmela moment is when she goes to see the psychiatrist that Melfi recommended, and he just cuts through all the bullshit and lays it out on the line,"Your husband is a criminal, you are an enabler. You must take yourself and your children and cut off all contact with him. There is no alternative, I am not going to allow you to justify your complicity in his crimes."

Given that ultimatum, she comes to the only conclusion she can - Tony has to pay for her spec house.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same psychiatrist who's Melfi's buddy throughout the series, and constantly talks up the fact that she's treating Tony (incredibly unethical to do, by the way) at their dinner parties?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

The Warszawa posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same psychiatrist who's Melfi's buddy throughout the series, and constantly talks up the fact that she's treating Tony (incredibly unethical to do, by the way) at their dinner parties?

No, Carmela's therapist was a different oneshot character.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

Nah. The one they're referencing is the old Jewish guy from Season 3's "Second Opinions" (also the "You got a bee on-a you hat" episode). Also I'm pretty sure this is only half-right:

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Actually she makes him pay the 50k to Meadow's colllege and bankroll her trip to Rome. The spec house was the price he had to pay to get back together with him at the end of season 5.
The college donation is her compromise at that point. But she earlier springs the trip to Rome on Tony in the last scene of Season 2's "Knight in White Satin Armor", when he returns home after cleaning up when Janice kills Richie, because she's upset by Irina popping back into their lives.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

escape artist posted:

No, it was about the struggle between the two lives.

It was actually about food

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

The Warszawa posted:

No.

In fact, I don't even think it's a shrink, I think it's a priest that Carm sees.

The psychiatrist that Melfi recommends is the one that tells Meadow she should take a year off to go to Europe.

A Violence Gang posted:

Nah. The one they're referencing is the old Jewish guy from Season 3's "Second Opinions" (also the "You got a bee on-a you hat" episode). Also I'm pretty sure this is only half-right:

The college donation is her compromise at that point. But she earlier springs the trip to Rome on Tony in the last scene of Season 2's "Knight in White Satin Armor", when he returns home after cleaning up when Janice kills Richie, because she's upset by Irina popping back into their lives.

He was Jewish? I swore he was a Catholic priest.

Tony should've had Irina whacked. What season is it where she calls and says in her beautiful accent "I used to gently caress your husband." Season 4, right? Man that actress was gorgeous.

Also, I thought Kelly, Chris' widow, was stunning. I swear she must've had cheek implants or something. They were so lovely.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 22, 2013

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

escape artist posted:

He was Jewish? I swore he was a Catholic priest.

Tony should've had Irina whacked. What season is it where she calls and says in her beautiful accent "I used to gently caress your husband." Season 4, right? Man that actress was gorgeous.

nope, the priest was later that episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0lx2GUqFkg

It was the last episode of season 4.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

zVxTeflon posted:

nope, the priest was later that episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0lx2GUqFkg

It was the last episode of season 4.

Oh wow. What's crazy is, I remember the face. I thought that guy was playing a priest. I guess I meshed the two characters together. I believe I am due for a re-watch.

Lucania
May 1, 2009

escape artist posted:

The psychiatrist that Melfi recommends is the one that tells Meadow she should take a year off to go to Europe.

Which gave us this great scene. Tony goes from conciliatory parenting to scary in two seconds and Meadow just deflates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THuGmrJcn0s

Also: "I could take Melfi's head and crush it like a loving walnut."

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Lucania posted:

Which gave us this great scene. Tony goes from conciliatory parenting to scary in two seconds and Meadow just deflates.

I like that he shows the two sides, and tellingly has one black sock, and one white foot.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Lucania posted:

I've always been more partial to this scene as Tony stammers about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkKdfh8Int4

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It's not that I think he's sympathetic, I mean the guy was a monster, after he killed that kid while he was begging for his live and pissing his pants, I realized it. it's just that he's a big bad swinging dick mafia boss and I like mafia drama, whereas I like nagging crazy family drama considerably less. always got moderately annoyed when there was some interesting things going on with Ton and the gang, then it flipped over to Janice being Janice.

He's a monster and he's sympathetic -- that was the genius of the show, and Gandolfini's performance. There's an element of Tony that's trying to do better somehow. It's not that he wanted to reform and go straight, but part of him at least wanted to want to.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

tbp posted:

I like that he shows the two sides, and tellingly has one black sock, and one white foot.

Whoa. I should re-watch the series and look for stuff like this. Here I was being proud for figuring out the bear and the ducks.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I did rewatch within the last month and I never actually noticed the sock dichotomy amidst the tension of the scene itself. Masterpiece theater!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Lest we forget that no matter how talented Gandolfini was....

Dude couldn't fake playing MarioKart for poo poo.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
He should have been in the new Star Wars.

JgPz
Oct 21, 2008
One of my favourite bits of symbolism is when Adriana is getting interrogated by the FBI and she pukes all over her self. The camera steadies for a moment on the gaudy bracelet Chris gave her earlier in the episode, covered in vomit, then the credits role.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

JgPz posted:

One of my favourite bits of symbolism is when Adriana is getting interrogated by the FBI and she pukes all over her self. The camera steadies for a moment on the gaudy bracelet Chris gave her earlier in the episode, covered in vomit, then the credits role.

"Ahh, there's my smelly valentine"

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

toggle posted:

"Ahh, there's my smelly valentine"

"She's got diarrhea"

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

For a guy like that, he's goin' out with a woman, he could technically not have penisary contact with her volvo?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Shut up and stir my eggs

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Oh my God, is it a fetus?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Lucania posted:

This scene, godDAMN. Watching him switch modes so fast, and seeing Meadow react to that other side of him, is just insanely intense.

Even years later it is still gripping as hell. And when she pouts and runs out of the room it still makes me want to throw up my hands. Fuckin' Meadow.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Ishamael posted:

This scene, godDAMN. Watching him switch modes so fast, and seeing Meadow react to that other side of him, is just insanely intense.

Even years later it is still gripping as hell. And when she pouts and runs out of the room it still makes me want to throw up my hands. Fuckin' Meadow.

I always love those transitions. There's a similar scene where Tony finally gets through to AJ (for a while at least) by smashing the windshield of AJ's car with a football helmet.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Tony knows how to lead his kind of people, with shows of alpha aggression and violent outbursts. When he tries it with his kids it always fails, but it's the only type of leadership he really is good at.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=portEJGiook

Still the best parody

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That Meadow scene reminded me of the scene where she tells them about the soccer coach sleeping with the girl. That one is great too. Meadow's innocence, Carmela's motherhood, and Tony's again going from father to mob boss in 2 seconds.

edit: not really 2 seconds. It takes him a minute to process and understand. But Gandolfini is brilliant during that minute.

That was also the episode where Junior is revealed to be a fan of fine dining.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 24, 2013

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Mr. Kite posted:

That Meadow scene reminded me of the scene where she tells them about the soccer coach sleeping with the girl. That one is great too. Meadow's innocence, Carmela's motherhood, and Tony's again going from father to mob boss in 2 seconds.

edit: not really 2 seconds. It takes him a minute to process and understand. But Gandolfini is brilliant during that minute.

That was also the episode where Junior is revealed to be a fan of fine dining.

Brilliant again the way they contrast something so dramatic with one of the funniest sequences in the entire series. "He whistles through the wheat field? He's a bushman of the Kalahari?"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ishamael posted:

Tony knows how to lead his kind of people, with shows of alpha aggression and violent outbursts. When he tries it with his kids it always fails, but it's the only type of leadership he really is good at.

It works short term at the least. AJ gets a job, Meadow goes back to school, etc. It's the only way he gets anything through to people in his life for the most part.

I'm reminded by one of my favorite scenes, the end of Season 5 when Tony goes to have a discussion with Johnny Sack. The whole season he's tried to reason with him, be nice, respectful and all that, but at the end he just loving demolishes him and all his pathetic little objectations by being what he truly is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=modmq0hnLSA

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ZekeNY posted:

Brilliant again the way they contrast something so dramatic with one of the funniest sequences in the entire series. "He whistles through the wheat field? He's a bushman of the Kalahari?"

"South of the booorrder...where those tuna fish play!"

Also isn't this the episode where you see Melfi's family sitting around to a good dinner talking about how unfairly Italian-Americans are depicted...then half an hour later, the Sopranos are sitting down to Chinese food, talking about the exact same loving thing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

"South of the booorrder...where those tuna fish play!"

"Woaah! Uncle Junior's in the muff!"

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Also isn't this the episode where you see Melfi's family sitting around to a good dinner talking about how unfairly Italian-Americans are depicted...then half an hour later, the Sopranos are sitting down to Chinese food, talking about the exact same loving thing?

How are people who eat with sticks gonna invent something you need a fork to eat?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

A Violence Gang posted:

How are people who eat with sticks gonna invent something you need a fork to eat?

They really should have had Tony have a fork full of chow mein right there.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I can't imagine a Sopranos where Van Zandt is the lead character but his performance was really something. Silvio always really stood out for me in the show. He had such an incredibly distinctive way of speaking and such eccentric mannerisms that his scenes were just impossible to forget. I've only watched the show twice and I was really young the first time around, but I can still almost see some of his scenes. Van Zandt just had a way of animating himself that for me seemed to burn scenes (including the reactions of other characters to him) into my memory.

A good example would be the scene where Tony asks him what he should do about Richie Aprile. They were both standing in Tony's office at the titty bar and Silvio just walks a few paces away from the camera, exhales and remains silent for a few seconds (there's a brief cut to Tony watching him deliberate), then he turns around and basically delivers a death sentence in an incredibly nonchalant way. He just shrugs one of his remarkably angular and animated shrugs and says something like "I really don't see any advantage in keeping him around".

The poker cheese crumbs incident (one of the funniest moments in the show) is another one. And of course Adrianna's last car ride, although that is one that I really wish I could forget :(

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

I never appreciated that because I always saw it as a rip-off of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CpAE9c1lN8

But wow, the entire MadTV cast had all of the mannerisms of the Soprano characters down perfectly. Especially Tony and Carm and Pussy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sex pervert posted:

I can't imagine a Sopranos where Van Zandt is the lead character but his performance was really something. Silvio always really stood out for me in the show. He had such an incredibly distinctive way of speaking and such eccentric mannerisms that his scenes were just impossible to forget. I've only watched the show twice and I was really young the first time around, but I can still almost see some of his scenes. Van Zandt just had a way of animating himself that for me seemed to burn scenes (including the reactions of other characters to him) into my memory.

A good example would be the scene where Tony asks him what he should do about Richie Aprile. They were both standing in Tony's office at the titty bar and Silvio just walks a few paces away from the camera, exhales and remains silent for a few seconds (there's a brief cut to Tony watching him deliberate), then he turns around and basically delivers a death sentence in an incredibly nonchalant way. He just shrugs one of his remarkably angular and animated shrugs and says something like "I really don't see any advantage in keeping him around".

The poker cheese crumbs incident (one of the funniest moments in the show) is another one. And of course Adrianna's last car ride, although that is one that I really wish I could forget :(

In my rewatch I noticed that they gave hints that he tricked all the strippers into sexual slavery. There were lines when he was talking about how he helped pay for braces and now she is his. It is really hosed up and just showed how hosed up everyone was in the how.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
Chase's eulogy:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/james-gandolfini-eulogized-by-sopranos-creator-david-chase-and-friends-and-family/2

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Goddamn, that's great. And I would really have loved to have seen that scene he describes.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Brilliant eulogy, just as you'd expect. And last night's rerun on HBO featured Tony sitting around in the heat with a cloth on his head, just like Chase described. (It's not the scene he mentioned, I think, they're showing season 5 right now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
"The Test Dream" is playing right now, forgot how whacked this episode was.

• Locked thread