Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Goddamit, I wake up only to find a 40K game of some sort's already been set up :negative: If you find any open slots, call me?

ZearothK posted:

It's still quite powerful. Ratlings in Only War or anyone specialized as a sniper in the other games can reliably instakill most opponents, though they are less useful against hordes and the like. This was something already present in the previous iterations, and it's even stronger with the new ruleset.

It's why I personally like the new rules- when it comes to fighting, both Rambo and Zaitsev can contribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure there are open slots, just contact Firstborn when you can.

Also, if you're interesting in GMing, that would be a plus.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, if you're okay with a 1st-time 40K DM (I've only DM'd once, and it was a Maid RPG game), I'd be willing to run Black Crusade.

EDIT: Be warned though, while I like combat encounters as much as the next man, I usually start out my campaigns as being very social-heavy. That said, I'm very lenient on crossovers, fan-concepts and the like, so if you want to play a Felinid, or if you want to bring in weapons and poo poo from Rogue Trader or anything, that's fine. However, character creation has to be done through Black Crusade rules.

EDIT 2: I also usually tend towards more fantastic extremes; I don't do gritty, so think of yourselves as Hell's rockstars, not a bunch of scrabblers.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 20, 2013

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'd be okay with that even if Black Crusade/Chaos is my least favorite game. Let's see what the other folks chime in and say.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't believe I also forgot to mention, I'm at GMT +8 as well :(

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
We could work it out. Let's see if anybody else wants to GM, it sounds like you'd rather play. :)

So, anyone want to GM WH40k (any game) for an all-goon cast?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

CommissarMega posted:

I am also in that time zone and would be interested in playing (pref Black Crusade or Only War). I'm currently running a Deathwatch game for some friends though, and not feeling like running another.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would love to get into a 40k game, but my live-play time is booked up with my friend's pathfinder game. I have a small kid so I have very little time to play. :( I would totally rock a PbP game, though. I keep an eye on the megathread for that here but always seem to miss the boat.

jammu posted:

How does this work in practise in Only War? Do people willingly use full-auto weapons, or is it all about best high damage/pen single shot weapons they can get?

Auto/Full-Auto weapons still have the advantage of being able to walk across multiple targets. So if you are running into big mobs of lovely dudes (say, a rebellion, cultists, termagant swarms) then it can be a good idea to go full auto and drop a bunch of dudes. Single shot weapons are considerably improved, but end up struggling against larger numbers of enemies.

I find that it works out fine in general, and tends to lead to a more balanced range of weapons in a game rather than everyone grabbing an autogun out the door and hosing down everything they see in full-auto fire.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I'm GMT +10, didn't know there were too many at similiar timezones. I like the gritty grim dark low level stuff if I would run anything, not that I even know if I can fit that in at the moment but I could maybe run stuff sporadically if nobody else steps up.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'd be really interested in Deathwatch or Only War. If anybody really wants to commit to being the GM, you just need to say so. Give us a place and time to meet and draw up characters and field expectations.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Ah. I'm GMT-6, unfortunately. I'd be up for most anything, though I don't have Black Crusade or Only War, so I suppose those are out for me.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
GMT+1.

Play by Post from the looks of it. :v:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
PbP doesn't feel like pnp gaming to me. D'oh.

Yeah, neither is chat or skype,but it's a bit better.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

RE: Setting up a game

I'm reasonably familiar with Only War but I've never played any of the other 40k RPGs, just the tabletop game. I don't know if I'd be willing to GM, but I used to GM all the time for games like D&D and Deadlands and the like, so I could offer input and advice and help with some of the grunt-work involved, and I'm also quite familiar with 40k lore. I'm down for anything really but I would like to play Only War. If we use Play by Post though, I'm out.

I'm GMT -4, by the way. US East Coast.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

You all need to get on #acolyte so people can talk about this poo poo :colbert:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
What network is #acolyte on?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

irc.synirc.net or just use the link :

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

There is no God.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I... think you've got the wrong thread, buddy. Oathtrek/40k wargame thread is elsewhere.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm glad to see my character commissions are coming along nicely.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, before we get into gameplaying shenanigans, let's list down some details about what we're willing to play/GM, timezones, preferred format etc. I'll start:

I'm willing to GM:
Black Crusade (esp. now since the Tome of Excess is out.)

I'd prefer to play:
Black Crusade
Only War

Time Zone:
+8 GMT

Preferred playing method:

crime fighting hog posted:

There is no God.

I don't know- I think Zuvassin and/or Necoho are having a right old time guffawing at us right now.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

panzerbat posted:

This could lead to one of those great roleplaying stories you tell years from now.

Go for it and keep us posted.

saladin posted:

This can only end terribly. Deliciously, deliciously terribly.

Go for it!

My plan worked beautifully. Well, beautiful probably isn't the right word, but I'll get to that later.

The session started on me. At the end of the last session I had collected the components I needed for the ritual to transfer my soul to another's body. The DM asks me what I do, so I book it to the chamber with the warp device. I talk the guard there into letting me take his post (remember: I'm employed as a guard here), then teleport into the chamber with the device.

Once inside the chamber, my DM still has no idea what I've come down here to do. Using the medical supplies I'd procured I gather some of my own blood, then write the scroll for the ritual. He asks me whose name I put on the scroll, the name of the person whose body I will inhabit when my body dies.

I tell him the one name he had not prepared for: that of his primary antagonist, leader of the facility, and supremely powerful psyker, Sophie Magara. He is stunned.

I still need to affix this scroll (now soaked in blood) to something my target holds dear, so I choose something she had given up a planetary governorship to work with: the warp device in the room with me. I basically glue the scroll to this orb thing with my own blood. All that's left now is to summon and make a deal with the daemon who will whisk my soul into her body upon my death (hopefully). I do that, and the terms are this: Maginar, the daemon, will, upon my death, take my soul and plop into the body of Sophie Magara. In exchange, I agree to allow Maginar to... hitch a ride. Seeing what I see, feeling what I feel, and so on, without any control over me. The terms here sound pretty good to me, so I sign up and teleport back out of the chamber and go back to standing guard.

The guard I'd given a break to comes back some time later and lets slip that the chamber is due for inspection today. Like, in an hour. Well, poo poo. They're definitely going to notice the blood-soaked scroll with daemonic poo poo written all over it glued to their precious orb.

Fortunately, I have several things that can help prevent them loving this up for me: letterhead from the facility, a writing kit, an uncanny knack for improvisational paperwork, and perhaps most importantly the signature of then-governor Sophie Magara (how I came into possession of this is its own story). So I sit down somewhere quiet and draw up a very official form stating that today's inspection had been postponed. It comes out looking totally legit, but unfortunately I never get the chance to use it.

On the way back to the elevator out of the level this chamber is on I run into Sophie Magara's right-hand woman, Venus Crulla, and four of the base's finest mooks. I confidently surrender myself to them and demand to be brought before Sophie Magara to deliver an ultimatum. Whether it was my decent fellowship roll (aided by a sorcery power that makes people more susceptible to my influence) or the complete ridiculousness of my request, she agrees, and I'm brought before a bemused Magara.

My ultimatum was this: banish Arcanthus, the daemonhost tasked with actually operating the warp device, or cease to exist. In predictable villain fashion, she declines my offer. As it was actually an ultimatum (and not an empty threat), I move to make good on my offer.

Now, I should clarify the deal with Maginar. All of the terms were contingent upon me dying. Without that taking place, nothing would happen (which is why I gave Magara this offer in the first place - I don't want a daemon riding around in me). But, as I was hosed anyway, my best course of action here was to die.

So I lunge for the guards gun. There's a combat of hilariously bad rolls which ends with Magara mentally crushing my heart into unconsciousness. The guards take me away. I don't rest easy, however - Maginar is displeased that I'm taking my time biting it. It tell him to gently caress off and deal with it - we already had a deal.

I wake up in a cell with my good friend and fellow acolyte, Klightus. Yes, really. Without going into details, I explain that I have a way to thwart Magara, but in order to do it I need to die, and convince him to strangle me to death with a belt.

After two failed strength checks to choke me the gently caress out, guards bust into the room. Thinking quickly I start yelling about that crazy rear end in a top hat tried to kill me and whatnot. The guards give him a stern talking to and make to move me to another cell. As soon as they do, I grab the gun off one of their belts and move for the door. The guards, perhaps trained better than their comrades we'd encountered, open up on me with their autoguns at full-auto to the effect you'd expect. I slump to the floor, a bullet riddled pulp, and die.

Exactly as planned.

Maginar, true to his word, whisks my soul through the facility and careens into Sophie Magara, who's seated at her desk with an attentive guard and Crulla. The force of the soul transference knocks me (now a 300 year old crone) on my rear end. The evilness of what I've just done (justified, damnit!) lands me a flat 20 corruption and a major mutation called Vile Deformity, which is horrific but the exact nature is left to the DM. I, as a player, suggest that there should be a certain amount of poetic justice in it. I get more than I'd bargained for.

The character that I was playing was a noble, and the hallmark of nobility is a certain degree of prideful vanity. I'd spent a good deal of my starting wealth on an extravagant set of robes, which I wore all the time. It looked about as ridiculous as you'd expect standing guard duty.

So, for my Vile Deformity, the DM decides to punish my vanity, and gives my now 300 year old frame a nice set of elaborate, flowing, horrific flesh-robes. Crulla sits at the desk aghast while the guard goes pale and runs out of the room.

That's about half of tonight's session. I'll write the rest up later.

panzerbat
Jun 14, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, before we get into gameplaying shenanigans, let's list down some details about what we're willing to play/GM, timezones, preferred format etc. I'll start:

I'm willing to GM:
Black Crusade (esp. now since the Tome of Excess is out.)

I'd prefer to play:
Black Crusade
Only War

Time Zone:
+8 GMT

I'm willing to GM:
Only War (Got inspired during my re-read of my Gaunt Ghosts omnibus.)

I'd prefer to play:
Dark Heresy
Only War

Time Zone:
GMT+1

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My Only War Skype/IRC thread.

Roll up your dudes if you want to go die in a jungle.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Had my first "Thats warhammer" moment in Rogue Trader. I was running "Into the maw" and they face off against another rogue trader who has a psyker lady with him. Psyker lady pushes her power and summons a warp demon, which promptly causes half of the players to faint.

Any ideas on what to get for expansion books? I was interested in getting the one that expands on ships since I gave the player a light cruiser.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Before continuing where I left off, I should explain what's been going on with my fellow acolytes while I was doing all of that. Unbeknownst to me, they'd been apprehended after an ill-conceived break-in that may or may not have been my idea. Sophie Magara wanted to know who we all are and what the hell we're doing here. When their answers proved unsatisfactory, and she offered each of them salvation if they killed the other. Klightus, a former arbite, was given a sidearm and told to execute Karl, a budding psyker. Klightus instead opts to shoot Karl in the foot, telling him it was for his own good with little in the way of explanation. Karl, having no idea what was happening or why Klightus would do this, lights him the gently caress up with psychic lightning.

Why they did any of this is a mystery to me.

Magara, predictably displeased by their performance, imprisons both of them until they can find my character, who has eluded custody. Karl, having none of this, uses his psychic powers to ooze through the prison bars, gently caress up the two guards in the room, locks the door to the prison hall before more guards can come in, and human-worms himself into an air duct to freedom.

Klightus, still grievously wounded, is left alone in his cell still locked up. Eventually the guards outside bust down the door and throw a flashbang into the room (adding insult to injury), and find one of their charges having escaped. Left with very little love for Karl and no idea where I am (abandoned by me, in his view), Klightus offers to turn on both of us.

Karl's freedom is short-lived though. He makes it out onto a rooftop and is shortly after greeted by Klightus. Weird. Well, turns out it was actually Sophie Magara who has taken the form of a compliant Klightus. She threatens him into coming with her and he is back in custody. They're both interrogated again, Klightus coming up with a slightly more believable story but still locked up and Karl being killed by Magara's psychic power for reasons I don't entirely remember.

That's not the end of it for Karl though - he gets to walk around as a ghost due to the effect the warp device in the basement has on souls. He can't do much, and is slowly drawn to the warp. This doesn't last long, as not being sucked into the warp requires constant mental effort which Karl rolls terribly on. So he gets sucked into the warp. Bye, bye Karl (for now).

So that's where we are when I land in Sohpie Magara's withered body. I quickly regain my sense and take stock of the situation. My sudden mutation and vile appearance is freaking the hell out of the two people in front of me, some random guard and Sophie Magara's chief lieutenant, Venus Crulla. Maginar makes his presence in my mind known by expressing his amusement at my appearance. The guard goes pale and runs out of the room, so I send Venus to bring him back. She's a bit shaken, but does so. That's one thing nobility are good at - giving orders.

I give the guard some orders and he fucks off, leaving me alone with my right hand woman, who promptly asks who she thinks is her boss what the hell just happened. I, with outrage in my voice, declare that this transformation is clearly the work of Arcanthus, the greater daemonhost under Sophie Magara's command (whom I'd made a deal with to get the ritual I used to transfer my soul into her body). She buys it.

But what of the real Sophie Magara? Cut back to Karl, floating in the warp not knowing what the gently caress. Her soul comes screaming into the warp from reality and is pissed. So pissed in fact, that she pulls an immediate U-turn and jumps back across the veil into reality, allowing Karl's spirit to hitch a ride. Her soul, now some sort of unknowable warp entity, proceeds to wreak havoc in the facility. Alarms start going off everywhere, something about a daemon in the warp device chamber.

Now, I have no idea what's going on down there, but whatever it is is probably more than a match for any living soul in the facility, so I move to use Sophie Magara's ace in the hole: her leashed daemonhost, Arcanthus. With Venus in tow, we write up orders for Arcanthus instructing him to banish the daemon in that wing of the facility (obviously intending to target what I didn't know was Magara's soul). Unfortunately, we have to get this giant scroll of orders to Arcanthus' chamber, which is in that wing of the facility. Miraculously, we manage to make it there without encountering anything except dozens of dead bodies.

Perhaps we had Arcanthus to thank for that - he would be expecting me with a scroll of orders in tow. The system they had in place was that a servitor would read a long scroll of legalese specifying exactly what he could and could not do, so he was generally kept on a very short leash. The original terms of my deal with him were that he would give me this ritual, and I would change the orders next time they were read to release him from bondage. I had no intention of holding up my end of the bargain.

During the elevator ride down I had changed the orders. They were to deal with the daemon in that wing of the facility, then banished him back to the warp after that was done. Masterstroke.

Well, it would have been had I been entirely aware of the nature of what was attacking the facility. Arcanthus, rather than dealing with the threat I had intended, instead banishes the only other daemon in that part of the facility: the one in my brain, Maginar, who is ripped from my consciousness with a howl of anger. Then, Arcanthus winks out of existence, banished to the warp.

And that's how I made two separate deals with two separate daemons and got out of both of them.

Unfortunately, this leaves me with several rather pressing problems and very little in the way of help. Namely, the raging, destructive spirit of one of the most powerful psykers to ever live, a warp artifact very slowly boring a hole in reality in the next room, one comrade dead, one in captivity, and my consciousness in the body of a 300 year old woman.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Me and my game-buddies are finally getting around to playing Rogue Trader for more than a session (that ignored most of the rules) and the scale of it has been confusing all of us, including the GM.
The description for the hull tells us what the raw numbers for the crew are, and because we took a Barracks we know that we have some soldiers on board, so things like that are fine. The problem was I've read many different accounts for things like landing craft, fighters, etc. I have Battlefleet Koronus and it has lots of detailed rules for taking things like Launch Bays and the like, but even just from the core I don't understand what sorts of craft come default with our ship. The FFG forums suggest anything appropriate to the ship (We have a cargo bay, so that means cargo loading ships. We have a barracks, that means troop transports. etc etc) but that seems a little too vague.

In general we're not quite sure what 'comes with' just having a ship, beyond the stats and maneuvers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You probably have a few cargo lighters, a few halo barges and maybe a couple of larger troop transports, but nothing significant. You won't have any actual small fighter craft unless you've got a proper small-ship landing bay that actually takes up weapon or hold space.

Basically, stuff to move you and yours around between ship and surface, but nothing you'd want to take into a fight.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Me and my game-buddies are finally getting around to playing Rogue Trader for more than a session (that ignored most of the rules) and the scale of it has been confusing all of us, including the GM.
The description for the hull tells us what the raw numbers for the crew are, and because we took a Barracks we know that we have some soldiers on board, so things like that are fine. The problem was I've read many different accounts for things like landing craft, fighters, etc. I have Battlefleet Koronus and it has lots of detailed rules for taking things like Launch Bays and the like, but even just from the core I don't understand what sorts of craft come default with our ship. The FFG forums suggest anything appropriate to the ship (We have a cargo bay, so that means cargo loading ships. We have a barracks, that means troop transports. etc etc) but that seems a little too vague.

In general we're not quite sure what 'comes with' just having a ship, beyond the stats and maneuvers.

Its simple, you have WAY more than you would need to do what you need to do essentially. Exact numbers are kinda irrelevent given every confrontation you encounter is more on a relative scale.

You have by default like 100,000 crew lets say. Its not the number that matters but instead "you have a poo poo tonne of people at your display to throw at whatever problem". That only becomes an issue when your say, trying to solve that problem when your opponent has an army. Then you cant just solve it that way. However you have a barracks which allows you to shift that dynamic in your favor since you both 'have an army' and 'have poo poo tonne' of people'.

As for small craft, you have a nice big haul full of stuff. Your a Rogue Trader, you dont care about little details like exact numbers. That stuff is too small scale for you. Your ship has enough to get what you need done. Its like shuttle craft in Star Trek. They get blown up all the time yet nobody is paying attention to how many they have left. Theres always more to repair/buy. You would have enough to transport your army down in one go and you have enough cargo craft to haul a fair bit to planet. If you must have exact numbers you have 200+ small craft of various shapes and sizes for a cruiser without specific hanger bays.

Your looking at Rogue Trader incorrectly too vague is what you do. Your not dealing with money for example your dealing with profit factor. Your currency is built about how much relative profit your making based upon your endeavours. Thats WAY too much to worry about buying your 37th Aquila lander. Thats something delegated down to the lower ranks who have orders "make sure if the Rogue Trader ever wants an aquila lander, theres one standing around."

If your just looking for a cool list of ship names then heres some that wold be on a ship:
Aquila Lander: Stand small shuttle designed to transport a small group of people.

Guncutter: Might be the rogue traders personal transport this is the only thing there is going to be 1 of since its the 40K version of the Millenium Falcon.

Fury Interceptor: Standard escort/interceptor fightercraft, few of these onhand, not enough to fight off enemy attack wings but enough to let you run escorts and patrols if needed.

Arvus Lighter: Standard issue imperial cargo hauler. Still got a bunch of guns on it because 40k.

Shark Assault Boat: Standard Imperial boarding craft.

Vulture Gunship: Imperial Guard gunship that might be with your army. Design to operate in an atmosphere but can survive in space.

Valkyrie: Low capacity troop transport (12 people max) designed for deploying commando teams and spell stuff, might be with your army.

Devourer Dropship: Imperial Guard troop transport, you probably bought a bunch to transport your army. Designed to carry both infantry and armoured vehicles.

EDIT: Might Point out that if you have a hanger bay you have all the small craft. Just go here and look at the list at the bottom of the page: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Aquila_Lander#.UceXePk3C8A

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 24, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's all abstract and largely hand-waveable to fit in with whatever the story demands.

So, you can move (almost) anything from surface to orbit without problem, if there is no pressure. If there is a time limitation, you have enough cargo capacity to move it in as much time as the GM thinks will make things interesting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wondering about things like that is like the CEO of a massive company wondering how paperclips are ordered in a satellite office. You have people who have people who have people who figure that sort of thing out. All you care about is that your inventory says you have a hold full of soldiers, and your latest brilliant scheme requires a hold full of soldiers to resolve itself.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Actually I believe the Arvus is unarmed, its got this thing on the front that looks like it *might* be a las barrel, but its a small one. Too small to be a multi-las or Lascannon in my opinion. The Arvus is basically the 40k equivalent of the smaller/basic shuttles from Star Trek. It is a pretty small craft.

Small enough that I'm willing to be most ships larger than a Cobra have quite a few in their free/basic lighter deck (shuttle bay).

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from arming one if you want. I mean, if you don't mind your fellow Rogue Traders laughing at you for using it as a combat unit. What are you, poor?

The only small craft my GM keeps track of are Gun Cutters, because those are powerful, important, and we have a nasty tendency to go through them almost as fast as DS9 goes through Runabouts (which are a great comparative equivalent for people unfamiliar with 40k).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 24, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, I look at ships as a means, I use them only to try and limit the overwhelming force that RT players can bring to the table.

"Sure, you have 10,000 troops, but you only have enough landers to get a few hundred down to the planet at once. It will take several days for the whole lot to land."

At no point* will the RT and his command crew not be able to hop into a lander.

*Unless plot demands it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Do I have it right that in RT you essentially need to have Commerce or Inquiry trained to acquire anything except the most basic things? You can roll inquiry regardless since it's a basic skill but with the -50% modifier you'd have to roll below 20 or so just to find the opportunity to attempt to acquire something as routine as a single bolt pistol in a large city. Since most characters can't get these skills very soon/ever acquisition just mostly isn't going to happen for them.

Currently in my game the only character who can find anything is the rogue trader himself, which sort of makes sense... but I'm not sure I want to pile yet more importance on that character at the expense of everyone else. I'm considering letting everyone by default go with the group's best commerce/inquiry for availability tests provided that character and their resources are present and cooperative. Would I be breaking intended class roles or balance if I did this? I feel it'd be more satisfying if players can go buy their stuff without having to ask the trader to do it for them.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually I believe the Arvus is unarmed, its got this thing on the front that looks like it *might* be a las barrel, but its a small one. Too small to be a multi-las or Lascannon in my opinion. The Arvus is basically the 40k equivalent of the smaller/basic shuttles from Star Trek. It is a pretty small craft.

Nah the Arvus lighter is straight up armed. There are unarmed versions but why would you ever use those. Shove a pair of heavy stubbers on atleast. From 40k Wiki:

"When the Arvus is needed for a combat role it can be equipped with an improvised forward-firing Twin-linked Multi-Laser, Twin-linked Autocannon, or 2 Twin-linked Heavy Stubbers. It can also be outfitted with 2 Hellstrike Missiles."

kingcom fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 24, 2013

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That says just what he said: There's nothing stopping you from arming it if you really want to but the assumption is that by default it isn't armed. Of course, this sort of detail is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the game because there are tons of different variations on basic vehicle models across the Imperium so that your Arvus might very well have whatever weapon you could reasonably mount on it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Elukka posted:

Do I have it right that in RT you essentially need to have Commerce or Inquiry trained to acquire anything except the most basic things? You can roll inquiry regardless since it's a basic skill but with the -50% modifier you'd have to roll below 20 or so just to find the opportunity to attempt to acquire something as routine as a single bolt pistol in a large city. Since most characters can't get these skills very soon/ever acquisition just mostly isn't going to happen for them.

Currently in my game the only character who can find anything is the rogue trader himself, which sort of makes sense... but I'm not sure I want to pile yet more importance on that character at the expense of everyone else. I'm considering letting everyone by default go with the group's best commerce/inquiry for availability tests provided that character and their resources are present and cooperative. Would I be breaking intended class roles or balance if I did this? I feel it'd be more satisfying if players can go buy their stuff without having to ask the trader to do it for them.

One of the core assumptions of Rogue Trader is that even if someone in the command crew doesn't have a skill, SOMEONE in your crew does. They make all rolls against their Crew rating, so unless the PCs are separated from their crew they don't really make checks against anything lower than a 30. Higher, if they've raised their crew rating.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Elukka posted:

That says just what he said: There's nothing stopping you from arming it if you really want to but the assumption is that by default it isn't armed. Of course, this sort of detail is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the game because there are tons of different variations on basic vehicle models across the Imperium so that your Arvus might very well have whatever weapon you could reasonably mount on it.

Standard Template Construct, it was made to be armed :colbert:

Yea i misread what he said....

kingcom fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 24, 2013

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
With the response to my earlier question I'm sure we're being too literal again, but we more confusion about how Endeavors will work.
We understand the basics that it's separated into discrete chunks that all give some amount of Achievement Points (modified by bonuses from our ship) towards an eventual goal which when reached gives us Profit Factor.
Our problem was what exactly we should be rolling.
The first few goals we had were Exploration based (scan a planet for natural resources for example) so it seemed like we should just use the Exploration system, where the players all shoehorn in using any Skill they have that happens to have the Exploration trait or any other skill the GM deems appropriate (he let the Rogue Trader use Command on the men to organize them better). We had things like using Awareness/Scrutiny to use the sensors, Piloting to get into a better position, Navigation to get a look from the ground, etc. etc. We were using the system where every roll is a +0 Difficulty getting easier with success and harder with failure.

Does this all sound on the level? All of us felt that things were a little disjointed.

Edit: Also while I'm here, how do you guys handle someone being in charge? Generally in our games that always leads to people getting mad at being ordered around, but our RT feels like he doesn't have a lot to do if he can't boss everyone around.

Bear Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Kind of late on this, but in Battlefleet Khronus is says that any ship can be assumed to have a complement of ships (of any basic type - lifters, shuttles, lighters, etc.) equal to it's Space/5. So even the smallest likely RT ship will have half a dozen basic ships, and probably more. If you have dedicated cargo space or bays, that expands on it.

Personally, I would treat those sorts of ships in the same way as Star Trek shuttles - your ship has a number of shuttles that is indistinct until it becomes meaningful for plot purposes. There is no point in nickel and diming your players over how many trips their landers are going to have to take to unload cargo, after all. Unless, suddenly, they only have one shot at it (maybe they have to make a drop onto a planet with a strike team before the planetary defense shields come up? Who knows!) At that point, you can just say 'But you only have five landers prepared to launch - the rest are being refitted/repaired/whatever and can't be readied in time!

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Also while I'm here, how do you guys handle someone being in charge? Generally in our games that always leads to people getting mad at being ordered around, but our RT feels like he doesn't have a lot to do if he can't boss everyone around.
Mostly I think of this as a player issue. My group has a couple people that naturally end up taking helm in a game, and it's better to just work with it. Occasionally this gets messed up by character choices, and games are always worse when one of the guys who just wants to wreck poo poo has to actually lead the group.

Having said that, it's not hard to cast the bridge crew of the ship as more of a committee than anything else. I mean, the RT is the 'captain', but is he really going to gainsay his specialists? Like if the Navigator tells him 'Hey, this route is dangerous poo poo, we should go another way' he's going to be like 'No gently caress you, we're going in!' In that sense, the other players should have a lot of power and direction within their own sphere, and the RT is primarily a moderator between them and sort of a tie-breaker when things are hung up. If the RT wants to feel like he's captaining, you can provide him with a number of NPCs to order around effectively, maybe? Stress that a good leader doesn't micromanage, he delegates to trusted people and works to keep the different elements in stride.