Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As a Ducati owner :smug:, I'd be quite happy to take a test ride to a cool coffee shop and sit outside and let everyone chat me up about my sexy bike.

"That's really dumb that you put a Ducati sticker on your lovely BMW"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

As a Ducati owner :smug:, I'd be quite happy to take a test ride to a cool coffee shop and sit outside and let everyone chat me up about my sexy bike.

When I chill at the coffee shop, people ask if my bike's a Ducati (or sometimes Norton) and then chat me up about my cafe'd Suzuki. :awesome:

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
"What kind of bike is that?"

Street Triple R.

"Yeah, but what kind?"

Triumph.

"So what kind of bike is that?"

Six Seventy Five?

"Oh that's cool. My bro has a gixxer one thousand. It's a one thousand."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Wait what is it again?"

*points to the giant gold KAWASAKI lettering*

"Ohh...are you sure? It doesn't look like a Kawasaki..."

I have actually had the above conversation. Also someone once asked me if my red VFR400 with giant silver H O N D A lettering on the fairing was a ducati.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
Working in the garage and the mailman was dropping off a package.

"It's a Honda from the 80s, it used to be my uncle's racebike."
"I bet that's pretty fast huh?"
"I wouldn't know. It spends most of it's time stationary, still trying to sort some problems"
"Oh. You should've bought a working bike!"

Right. Thanks, this never occurred to me.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Street Triple R.

"Yeah, but what kind?"

Triumph.

"So what kind of bike is that?"

Six Seventy Five?

"Oh that's cool. My bro has a gixxer one thousand. It's a one thousand."

My brother's bike has a bigger number. That means it's better than yours. That means my brother is better than you. By association, I'm better than you.

Social interaction score: 1 to 0 me. :smug:

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Dzus posted:

Working in the garage and the mailman was dropping off a package.

"It's a Honda from the 80s, it used to be my uncle's racebike."
"I bet that's pretty fast huh?"
"I wouldn't know. It spends most of it's time stationary, still trying to sort some problems"
"Oh. You should've bought a working bike!"

Right. Thanks, this never occurred to me.

Sometimes people make jokes for laughs though

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

My brother's bike has a bigger number. That means it's better than yours. That means my brother is better than you. By association, I'm better than you.

Social interaction score: 1 to 0 me. :smug:
I bet he can wheelie better than me too. :smith:

(Cause I don't have the stones to intentionally wheelie.)

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Overheard at a bar:

"Sorry we're late, Brian spent all day at the RMV to get his Harley license."

IEDs CURE SOLDIERS
Jan 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Strife posted:

Overheard at a bar:

"Sorry we're late, Brian spent all day at the RMV to get his Harley license."

FYI a Harley license is different from a motorcycle license. I don't know why you're surprised that you need special training to operate heavy farm machinery.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'll freely admit to being intimidated by some harleys, mostly because they sound like they're about to fall/shake apart and I'd hate for that to happen while I'm on it.

And I'll play devils advocate a bit on the harley sales guide: 1.) at least they let you demo a loving bike 2.) some people ride just because its fun with no concern for how they look, some ride solely for how they look (typically as little as possible, to the nearest bar), most people are somewhere in the middle. Riding a motorcycle is cool and you shouldn't be ashamed to admit it. I'd be happy if someone said that I had a nice bike, why shouldn't harley people like that?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ADINSX posted:

I'll freely admit to being intimidated by some harleys, mostly because they sound like they're about to fall/shake apart and I'd hate for that to happen while I'm on it.

And I'll play devils advocate a bit on the harley sales guide: 1.) at least they let you demo a loving bike 2.) some people ride just because its fun with no concern for how they look, some ride solely for how they look (typically as little as possible, to the nearest bar), most people are somewhere in the middle. Riding a motorcycle is cool and you shouldn't be ashamed to admit it. I'd be happy if someone said that I had a nice bike, why shouldn't harley people like that?

I just don't really care for the focus they place on it. Generally my best riding experiences come on empty roads outside of town. But the sales manual has all those recommendations to take it to a busy convenience store, then down streets where the rider is sure to be noticed. So you get to spend a lot of time sitting at stoplights outside the coffee shop, rather than zooming down backroads.

When I testroad a Triumph Bonneville, the dealer handed me the keys and sent me off (alone) on their test route. It goes back into the hills on curvy narrow roads, then back along a stretch of freeway. I wasn't going out to be seen, I was going out to zip around and scare cows. It was amazing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ADINSX posted:

Ha, the vibration isolation systems on most of them mean they shake at idle and are smooth as butter on the move. I rode my H-D powered Buell (granted, the Buell isolation system is way better than H-D's) 5000 miles over two weeks and the only thing that tried (but failed) to shake itself off the bike was the sidestand. I discovered that in the driveway after getting home.

I had the spark arrestor rattle off my Yamaha on a trail and the exhaust mounting nuts rattle off my Kawasaki on the way to Sturgis, so in my experience, rattling stuff off of them is what motorcycles like to do. They make Locktite for a reason :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Had the obligatory ATGATT discussion with some dudes on a local forum. All of the standard arguments were there, such as "I already put myself in danger by riding a motorcycle, gear doesn't matter", "who cares what other people choose to do?" and "I'm only hurting myself if I crash".

In the end, it more or less devolved into people screaming "You are NOT the boss of me! Na na na I can't hear you!".

Goddammit. I love bikes, but I hate most of the people who ride them :(

The sheer unadulterated cognitive dissonance is mind-boggling.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 23, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I wouldn't bother arguing. From what I've seen, those type of people only ever change their minds when they actually crash and need to have butt skin grafted onto their arms or w/e. Even showing them the gory aftermath pics of wrecking on a bike without gear only works like half the time, cause they don't think it'll happen to them (and with an attitude like that, you know it will). I mean, read the last couple crashes in the crash thread, both the dudes weren't wearing all the proper gear and after the crash their first order of business was to get whatever they were missing.

They'll crash, and they'll learn their lesson. Or they won't, and then end up dead because their pride/not admitting they were wrong was more important to them than, like, living and poo poo. :shrug:

M42 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 23, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KozmoNaut posted:

Had the obligatory ATGATT discussion with some dudes on a local forum. All of the standard arguments were there, such as "I already put myself in danger by riding a motorcycle, gear doesn't matter", "who cares what other people choose to do?" and "I'm only hurting myself if I crash".

In the end, it more or less devolved into people screaming "You are NOT the boss of me! Na na na I can't hear you!".

Hell is other people

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just don't really care for the focus they place on it. Generally my best riding experiences come on empty roads outside of town. But the sales manual has all those recommendations to take it to a busy convenience store, then down streets where the rider is sure to be noticed. So you get to spend a lot of time sitting at stoplights outside the coffee shop, rather than zooming down backroads.

When I testroad a Triumph Bonneville, the dealer handed me the keys and sent me off (alone) on their test route. It goes back into the hills on curvy narrow roads, then back along a stretch of freeway. I wasn't going out to be seen, I was going out to zip around and scare cows. It was amazing.
You'll have to permit me a little smug here -- as a Ducati owner :smug:, I've got plenty of it -- but I suspect people who don't like the "Check me out" test ride thing may not have owned a bike that attracts attention. One of the main reasons I love riding my old BMW is that wherever I stop I make a new friend. People talk to me about it all the time. I don't agree with the principle when applied to new Harleys, but the principle is valid.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You'll have to permit me a little smug here -- as a Ducati owner :smug:, I've got plenty of it -- but I suspect people who don't like the "Check me out" test ride thing may not have owned a bike that attracts attention. One of the main reasons I love riding my old BMW is that wherever I stop I make a new friend. People talk to me about it all the time. I don't agree with the principle when applied to new Harleys, but the principle is valid.

Oh, I get it both with the Bonneville and the old Honda--everybody wants to talk about the new Bonnevilles, or tell me how their first bike was a CM400 just like mine. But I like the part where we chat, more than just being seen on the bike.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I've had mixed results with people wanting to chat up my bikes. People could give a poo poo about my K-Bike which I think was the most interesting one. Like one loving random dude in Missouri was all "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles" and took a picture. That was it for like 4 years of riding. I rode my old man's GS oilhead once and had people wanting to look at it at every loving fuel stop. Mostly Harley guys interestingly enough - really friendly folks when you run into the ones out riding and not the assholes doing circles around the local coffee shop.

The Triumph seems popular so far which is neat. I need to practice up my random stranger banter so I don't come off as the social recluse nerd I am.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

I usually shut them up with something like I'm against helmet laws too, but it's because I want to see the faces of the morons so I know who's too loving stupid to ride near.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I find it amusing that I haven't received any compliments on my SV650. Two people in my apartment complex have told me to tell my friend they think his bike is awesome. He rides a Triumph Rocket III Touring and it's his only form of transportation.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I find it amusing that I haven't received any compliments on my SV650. Two people in my apartment complex have told me to tell my friend they think his bike is awesome. He rides a Triumph Rocket III Touring and it's his only form of transportation.

Not to be a dick but the sv650 doesn't exactly scream "speed and sophistication" to the layman and everybody who knows bikes knows they're a dime a dozen. The rocket at least is huge if nothing else.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I think this deserves a fair bit of praise and recognition, unless the guy is a pathological bus/train commuter.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Not to be a dick but the sv650 doesn't exactly scream "speed and sophistication" to the layman and everybody who knows bikes knows they're a dime a dozen. The rocket at least is huge if nothing else.

This is all true but I get compliments on mine all the time. It's a relatively stock yellow 2004 naked. I ride with a buddy a lot who's on a newer triumph tiger 800 and I cringe when people comment on my bike over his. But I'm trading it in on a vstrom soon so I guess I won't have to worry about it for long.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I think this deserves a fair bit of praise and recognition, unless the guy is a pathological bus/train commuter.

I was confused by this statement until I realized you think the Rocket III isn't actually a type of bus.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I ride a naked FZ6 mainly that no one gives a second glance. Everytime I take out my sister's newgen ninjette someone tells me 'nice bike'. Just the way it is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The only people who seem to really like my bike are homeless people and police. Oh and the courier who chased me down to tell me it was awesome and he was saving up for a Dorsoduro.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The KTM has only ever attracted some permutation of "Oh poo poo, I (had | want) one of those but I (would lose | lost) my license." accompanied by some sort of sentiment about wishing me luck.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The only people who seem to really like my bike are homeless people and police. Oh and the courier who chased me down to tell me it was awesome and he was saving up for a Dorsoduro.

The only people who ever really, truly like Italian bikes are the service managers

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

You guys are just doing it wrong or something. I've got two dual sports (TW200 and DRZ400) and people love the hell out of those bikes. Can't go places without having to stop and talk to half of whatever town.

Basically just put some knobbies on your bike and you'll have to beat folks off with a stick. I'm going to send this to the harley sales manual dudes and tell them I want a kajillion bucks for the sweet idea.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

apatite posted:

Basically just put some knobbies on your bike and you'll have to beat folks off with a stick. I'm going to send this to the harley sales manual dudes and tell them I want a kajillion bucks for the sweet idea.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Come on, you can do better than that! Can't even ride that to the coffee shop without getting arrested :D

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Spend a day on the trail, then just wash the dust off and ride to the coffee shop.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Met a nice older man yesterday on a 70s Harley frame w/ an 80s H-D engine. He complimented our bikes, we complimented his. (I suspect he did a lot of the owr

Morale Maxim: Motorcycle mileage is inversely proportional to motorcycle douchebaggery.

KozmoNaut posted:

What's funny is peer pressure can work in reverse. A few years ago, some riding buddies took some kid under their wing. The kid had squidly tendencies and was resistant to wearing any gear. A few months of going on rides with people who showed up ATGATT and slowly but surely he starts acquiring gear.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

MoraleHazard posted:

What's funny is peer pressure can work in reverse. A few years ago, some riding buddies took some kid under their wing. The kid had squidly tendencies and was resistant to wearing any gear. A few months of going on rides with people who showed up ATGATT and slowly but surely he starts acquiring gear.

How is that reverse? That's just normal peer pressure.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

apatite posted:

Come on, you can do better than that! Can't even ride that to the coffee shop without getting arrested :D

These are great. They're like a dumpy Ulysses reinvention.

I got another "Is that the new Ducati" about the Uly on the trip to Texas.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Backov posted:

How is that reverse? That's just normal peer pressure.

You are correct. My brain was just processing peer pressure to do dumb / crazy / weird stuff since that was all the peer pressure I received when I was a youngin'.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

apatite posted:

Someone not too far away's selling something similar, but wants about $8000 for it which is absurd

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

For some reason (to me at least) the price of Harleys seems to be "overheard stupid motorcycle related poo poo" in general. It doesn't amaze me that someone slapped some dirtbike forks on and thought they could double or triple or halve it or whatever that thing would sell for originally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

apatite posted:

For some reason (to me at least) the price of Harleys seems to be "overheard stupid motorcycle related poo poo" in general. It doesn't amaze me that someone slapped some dirtbike forks on and thought they could double or triple or halve it or whatever that thing would sell for originally

It goes for anyone trying to sell a bike they've (heavily) modded. There are a lot of squid bikes out there that are extremely overpriced. Throwing on a Corbin seat, Two Brothers carbon fiber exhaust, extending the swingarm, and adding a poorly done airbrush of your mom on a bike doesn't increase its value by $2,000.

• Locked thread