Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mystic Mongol posted:

Poor Karkat. Dave's been hanging out with one of his old friends for nearly five minutes and already he's saying he regrets the time he spent with his best troll bro.

That's not really the takeaway here. He's not saying he regrets the time he spent with his best troll bro. He's just outwardly recognizing that he is having a loving breakdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's not really the takeaway here. He's not saying he regrets the time he spent with his best troll bro. He's just outwardly recognizing that he is having a loving breakdown

The next update is just Dave crying, curled up in a ball while Jade and the audience grow increasingly uncomfortable.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, topic of discussion: What would be narratively-fitting fates for the various villains of Homestuck? Caliborn, The Condesce, various Jacks, etc. Because I doubt they will just be outright killed. Too straightforward.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bobulus posted:

So, topic of discussion: What would be narratively-fitting fates for the various villains of Homestuck? Caliborn, The Condesce, various Jacks, etc. Because I doubt they will just be outright killed. Too straightforward.

The Condesce will get her own planet to rule over, but its only inhabitant(s) will be CD.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kazy posted:

The Condesce will get her own planet to rule over, but its only inhabitant(s) will be Cronus.

Fixed. Caliborn-Jack will get killed, Bec Noir will come to some kinda agreement with PM, and Spades Slick will get a new crew to run with somewhere because he deserves the best.

Caliborn will either get a Pokey ending, or wind up as the frog that Dave blenderized a long rear end time ago.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
But you're forgetting the worst best no it's probably the worst gently caress you, it's the best fate of all. I don't know who deserves it the most.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Someone will whack Lord English upside the head with a big-rear end pool cue and knock him into a black hole.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I hope the very last image of Homestuck is Caliborn popping out of the game Death and Mobster Kingpin were playing and joining in with them on the next one.

Get Koosed
Jun 23, 2013

by Fistgrrl
The repaired-Excalibur being ultimate/capable of bringing an end to the story is the first figure in Homestuck that's ever completely baffled me. Does it have something to do with Caliborn being a broken half of a whole being, so the mended sword is his antithesis? I just don't get it.

Also, I've noticed none of you are giving due deference to what Dolash says, given he's the only person in this thread who matters.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

I'm pretty sure this is what's happening right now. Like, Sburb is that game.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

YggiDee posted:

I'm pretty sure this is what's happening right now. Like, Sburb is that game.

Someone peels off the 'SBURB' sticker pasted over the CD case to reveal the game's true name.
The Game of Life

:v:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'd kind of like to see the Condesce die of old age. Like, every plan she's had has involved using her millennial lifespan to wait and plot and take the slow road, etc. I feel like, between three slow trips in her ship, two lifetimes living on both Earths, etc, she may finally be running a bit low on life. Probably the only thing keeping her youthful is Lord English's blessing/curse. It's a great contrast with her "never matured" personality.

I'd like to see that blessing/curse revoked and for her to finally get everything she wants... but for her to be too old and weak to seize it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Get Koosed posted:

The repaired-Excalibur being ultimate/capable of bringing an end to the story is the first figure in Homestuck that's ever completely baffled me. Does it have something to do with Caliborn being a broken half of a whole being, so the mended sword is his antithesis? I just don't get it.

Well, "Caliborn" is very close to "Caliburn", which is the latinized version of Caledfwlch.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Carrasco posted:

Well, "Caliborn" is very close to "Caliburn", which is the latinized version of Caledfwlch.

It's oddly poetic that his supposed weakness is to an object that shares his name, at least after being fed through Google Translate several times.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's pretty tough to guess what'll happen to the different villains - it's hard enough deciding who's a villain or not, sometimes.

In general, it'll be interesting to see if everyone gets a karmic end of some kind or if some characters will get away. Bec Noir, the Condesce and Caliborn/Lord English all demand pretty terrible ends if the ending's supposed to be the usual "good guys win!" sort of ending. Anyone else could really end up just about wherever.

And whatever happens to Vriska's probably going to cause an uproar.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
What if Vriska (VRISKA) is literally never seen again

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

bigmcgaffney posted:

Honestly Vriska having zero resolution would probably be the most [ironic/appropriate/fitting] end for her.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

She will live on in your fanfics.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Vriska is going to get the Ring of Life and then beat the poo poo outta every villain as every other character realizes how totally lame they are in comparison to her. We all know this.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

There is absolutely zero chance this will happen.

Vriska is the kind of character that I feel like you write an ambiguous ending for. Give them a second chance, but leave it up in the air if they'll actually use it wisely or just squander it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Wait, I just realized we still don't know where the lovely statues of liberty came from (or do we?). So that's still one hell of a mystery that is actually a mystery and really needs solving. I suspect the SBaHJifier and lots of alchemy are involved, but up until recently I thought they would be explained while the makeout meteor was still cruisin' around.

Of course it'll be loving Gamzee somehow :argh:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, we know Alpha-Dave made one the normal way. How dozens could show up... I'm going to guess some garbage left over from the final ultimate showdown with the Condesce. We saw her wielding one against Alpha-Dave and Alpha-Rose, so if Sollux does the same trick he did against the Black King, it would be a fitting thing to throw at her. And as long as you're making big heavy things to throw at someone, you just know Dave would want it to be something like that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

This may be the most well-targeted ad I've seen yet on Hussie's Project Wonderful box.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Blackheart posted:

Wait, I just realized we still don't know where the lovely statues of liberty came from (or do we?). So that's still one hell of a mystery that is actually a mystery and really needs solving. I suspect the SBaHJifier and lots of alchemy are involved, but up until recently I thought they would be explained while the makeout meteor was still cruisin' around.

Of course it'll be loving Gamzee somehow :argh:

Alpha Dave made them all. SBaHJ alchemy costs negative grist, so he picked the most valuable and ironic thing he could find and made hundreds of lovely copies for profit. It's how he funded his media endeavours.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Bobulus posted:

Vriska is the kind of character that I feel like you write an ambiguous ending for. Give them a second chance, but leave it up in the air if they'll actually use it wisely or just squander it.

And then in the sequel it's almost assured that they will have squandered it. So let's all look forward to Vriska re-learning all her life lessons in Homestuck 2, coming 2026 once Act 7 Act 7 Act 7 Act 7 Act 7 Act 7 Act 7 ends.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Hard to say. I'm willing to bet at least one of them does get killed, though. While a pretty straightforward end, there's really only so many creative things you can do when it comes to end-game villains and it might feel odd if all of them managed to escape or find some kind of penance. I'm sure at least one will meet their end in combat, or some hair-brained murder(let's do it, Spades!), or backstabbing from another villain.

One funny case is Bec Noir, really. He's willingly murdered so many people just because he was bored, slaughtered characters we loved, and literally killed an entire universe. But all of his development in regards to being Jade's loyal doggy, and then the fact that he's spent the past years in-comic/year or so in real time literally being chased through space by a dog as big as him, it's sometimes easy to forget the bad parts. Somehow this has given him an air of something I feel sorry for, rather than just liking him because he's funny and stylish despite being a monster(like Caliborn and the Condesce).

If he dies as a villain, it'll feel almost sad because it was easy to get attached to him, but if he went on to be forgiven, it'd cause a bit of WTF given everything he's done in the past.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Hey, remember when people actually thought Tavros and Eridan couldn't die until they completed some Campbellian heroic character arc first?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I could see some/all of the Jacks going out in a blaze of glory. Because:

- It avoids have to deal with the complex morality of a guy who stab-greets and stab-thanks.
- We've seen Jack is willing to kill himself if it killing the other guy, too.
- I'm sure English-Jack isn't too happy about being possessed.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I don't care about Bec Noir or LE, but I kinda hope the Condesce gets to skate, even though she was Literally Hitler Times Infinity. She's just so dreamy :allears:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Midnight Raider posted:

Hard to say. I'm willing to bet at least one of them does get killed, though. While a pretty straightforward end, there's really only so many creative things you can do when it comes to end-game villains and it might feel odd if all of them managed to escape or find some kind of penance. I'm sure at least one will meet their end in combat, or some hair-brained murder(let's do it, Spades!), or backstabbing from another villain.

One funny case is Bec Noir, really. He's willingly murdered so many people just because he was bored, slaughtered characters we loved, and literally killed an entire universe. But all of his development in regards to being Jade's loyal doggy, and then the fact that he's spent the past years in-comic/year or so in real time literally being chased through space by a dog as big as him, it's sometimes easy to forget the bad parts. Somehow this has given him an air of something I feel sorry for, rather than just liking him because he's funny and stylish despite being a monster(like Caliborn and the Condesce).

If he dies as a villain, it'll feel almost sad because it was easy to get attached to him, but if he went on to be forgiven, it'd cause a bit of WTF given everything he's done in the past.

I have no idea where the Jacks all fit into this quite frankly.

Jack Classic's case is weird because he spent so long as THE Big Bad. He was the cause (or effect; sometimes both) of pretty much every single major problem in the story in A4 and A5A2. Then he actually goes and DESTROYS THE UNIVERSE. But then he gets a little pre-occupied and has his spot as the Final Boss taken by a green rear end in a top hat in a technicolor nightmarecoat and his two god-cronies.

Spades on the other hand has always been an ornery, impatient, stab-happy rear end in a top hat but he never did anything outright evil or villainous. He never got the chance. He got exiled after allying with the Trolls against the Black Queen, and the Midnight Crew were only ever shown raiding English's mansion and killing Felt. He's about as noble as Jacks get, which is to say he didn't kill his objects of hatred early so he always had someone to focus it on instead of randomly stabbing everyone in sight like Jack Classic.

Then there's Jack English and I just don't even know WHAT the gently caress is up with him.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

WhiffleballDude posted:

I have no idea where the Jacks all fit into this quite frankly.

Jack Classic's case is weird because he spent so long as THE Big Bad. He was the cause (or effect; sometimes both) of pretty much every single major problem in the story in A4 and A5A2. Then he actually goes and DESTROYS THE UNIVERSE. But then he gets a little pre-occupied and has his spot as the Final Boss taken by a green rear end in a top hat in a technicolor nightmarecoat and his two god-cronies.

Spades on the other hand has always been an ornery, impatient, stab-happy rear end in a top hat but he never did anything outright evil or villainous. He never got the chance. He got exiled after allying with the Trolls against the Black Queen, and the Midnight Crew were only ever shown raiding English's mansion and killing Felt. He's about as noble as Jacks get, which is to say he didn't kill his objects of hatred early so he always had someone to focus it on instead of randomly stabbing everyone in sight like Jack Classic.

Then there's Jack English and I just don't even know WHAT the gently caress is up with him.

Don't forget the Jack in Caliborn's session.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Quotetype posted:

Don't forget the Jack in Caliborn's session.

I wouldn't be surprised if turns out Caliborn got him killed to achieve some goal when we weren't looking.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if turns out Caliborn got him killed to achieve some goal when we weren't looking.

Nah man, you need four jacks to make a full deck.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Snollygoster posted:

Hey, remember when people actually thought Tavros and Eridan couldn't die until they completed some Campbellian heroic character arc first?

Both of them finished their arcs. Failure to overcome your flaws counts as finishing just as much as succeeding does. Tavros is still trying, though; bless his little heart.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Tunicate posted:

I thought that it's been well established by now that Caliborn isn't playing with a full deck. :downsrim:

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Thundarr posted:

It's oddly poetic that his supposed weakness is to an object that shares his name, at least after being fed through Google Translate several times.

It makes sense too since we've been told repeatedly that a Cherub's name can be used against them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Only the one-eyed jacks (Bec Noir, Spades Slick) are wild. The other two (Jack English, Caliborn's Jack) are doomed. :downs:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bobulus posted:

one-eyed jacks (Bec Noir, Spades Slick)

How did I not see this until now?!?!?!? :aaaaa:

Of course I see now that the last one-eyed card is the King of Diamonds. I wonder if that will ever come to mean anything. (It could easily mean the Black King of the B1 session but ehhh)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

If there's ever a King of Diamonds it better be Diamonds Droog the Draconian Dignitary.

Which is yet another remorseless psycho that we can't help but love :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I hope the very last image of Homestuck is Caliborn popping out of the game Death and Mobster Kingpin were playing and joining in with them on the next one.

This would be unbelievably amazing.