Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ronya posted:

Given that the Court is apparently old and that humans only occupy a minority of the buildings, it is seems reasonable to suppose that the robots maintain the place. The students travel substantial distances just to go to a robot barber, someone has to keep the maglevs running.

Oh, I figured that the parts which are actually used, even in the slightest, are maintained by robot and human society working together, as are the infrastructure links, but I suspect that the majority of the unused Court is simply left to its own devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

RandomPauI posted:

Wow, Jones played matchmaker?

She's been around as long as humanity (longer actually). It isn't surprising that she had a solid grasp on how people interact. She needs to, just to fake emotions and so forth.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm inclined to lump her in with Dr. Manhattan. They say they aren't aware of having emotions but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think she had a perfectly normal range of human emotions, and then spent 4.54 billion years with no-one to talk to, and is now a bit nuts.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Heavy Zed posted:

The Donlans have gone on holiday around Europe. Kat even sent Annie some pictures.

Could've been a stargate buried in the Court somewhere, etc. The suggestion that the Court exists in some parallel dimension was a popular one a while ago, to explain how Zimmy could've come from Birmingham, England.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

She's been around as long as humanity (longer actually). It isn't surprising that she had a solid grasp on how people interact. She needs to, just to fake emotions and so forth.

Yeah there ain't anything fake going on with Jones's emotions. Despite what she claims, I'm pretty sure perfect mimicry of emotions, down to small, personal gestures of grief, is indistinguishable from the real thing. We can leave the qualia to the p-zombies.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

A big flaming stink posted:

Yeah there ain't anything fake going on with Jones's emotions. Despite what she claims, I'm pretty sure perfect mimicry of emotions, down to small, personal gestures of grief, is indistinguishable from the real thing. We can leave the qualia to the p-zombies.

If you make a video recording of a person acting like a person, that doesn't make the recording an actual person with emotions and whatever. It's still a recording.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

SHISHKABOB posted:

If you make a video recording of a person acting like a person, that doesn't make the recording an actual person with emotions and whatever. It's still a recording.
The p-zombie argument says exactly that.
If your recording is completely indistinguishable from an actual person, you can't create a definition of person that excludes it.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Heavy Zed posted:

The Donlans have gone on holiday around Europe. Kat even sent Annie some pictures.

cptn_dr posted:

The River Annan is a real river in Scotland. So it's entirely possible that the Court is in Scotland.

Kat captions the first photo with "Still in Scotland" which I never caught the first time around.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A big flaming stink posted:

Indistinguishable to everyone but Jones. Jones knows she is faking it, ergo they are fake. A P-Zombie does not know they are faking it because there is no "they" to "know".

(though as before, I think she has/had emotions and is just severely psychologically damaged)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Splicer posted:

I think she had a perfectly normal range of human emotions, and then spent 4.54 billion years with no-one to talk to, and is now a bit nuts.

I don't know. What's a normal range of human emotions for an indestructible, immortal being who has no needs, no fears, no desires?

One thing's for sure: something is driving her, otherwise she would have never gotten out of that ocean floor.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I subscribe to the theory that that Jones story isn't to be taken at face value.

No idea at exactly what value it is to be taken, though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cyphoderus posted:

I subscribe to the theory that that Jones story isn't to be taken at face value.

No idea at exactly what value it is to be taken, though.

You mean the whole origin story, or her description of herself as unliving and emotionless?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Blackheart posted:

You mean the whole origin story, or her description of herself as unliving and emotionless?

More the origin story. In much the same way as Zimmy's awful city isn't real exactly, it's something her own mind creates, nothing stops Jones' origin story from being... you know. Not true. After all, the only source we have is Jones herself. That's hardly reliable. Her description of herself has the same problem. Why should we consider her a reliable source at all?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Cyphoderus posted:

More the origin story. In much the same way as Zimmy's awful city isn't real exactly, it's something her own mind creates, nothing stops Jones' origin story from being... you know. Not true. After all, the only source we have is Jones herself. That's hardly reliable. Her description of herself has the same problem. Why should we consider her a reliable source at all?

Because all avenues of information point towards Jones as being a truthful, non-forgetting sort of person. Granted, that doesn't mean you're wrong, but it would be a bit more out of the blue than Tea-san usually goes. I vaguely remembers Jones from way back when, but I could be wrong in that regard. Also Coyote.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Maybe Jones' story is true in the same sense that Coyotes' stories are true. Belief and reality kind of intermingle in this world.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm voting that Jones is literally Satan.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Things need not have happened to be true.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
Jones is a robot. Why else would she try to deny it?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yoya posted:

Jones is a robot. Why else would she try to deny it?

But robots don't lie. A robot confirmed this. It would cause a paradox, causing Jones to self-destruct!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Blackheart posted:

But robots don't lie. A robot confirmed this. It would cause a paradox, causing Jones to self-destruct!

Yeah, like Jones wouldn't have paradox-absorbing crumple zones.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

seravid posted:

One thing's for sure: something is driving her, otherwise she would have never gotten out of that ocean floor.

The question I was left with after that chapter was: why did she hunt the auroch? It's the first time (chronologically) that we see her associating with humans, and here she is helping them get dinner. If she's really as unfeeling as all that, what purpose is there in this?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

idonotlikepeas posted:

The question I was left with after that chapter was: why did she hunt the auroch? It's the first time (chronologically) that we see her associating with humans, and here she is helping them get dinner. If she's really as unfeeling as all that, what purpose is there in this?

Curiosity?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

idonotlikepeas posted:

You got it backwards, early human society coalesced around her longtime hobby of buffalo wrestling

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Curiosity is an emotion. And we all know her real hobby is hosting a dating advice call-in show.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I hold the theory that Jones isn't an etheric being at all, but some sort of misfired attempt at time travel. Some entity (smart money's on the Court, of course) attempts to send a volunteer chrononaut back in time and instead by accident her personal timeline gets ... smeared all across history. That's why she can't be injured or even her hair cut; at every moment in time, from her origin back to the destination, she remains as she was at the very instant she was sent, and the timeline prevents any paradox by making her inviolate. This would also help explain how she appeared way back when with a fairly modern hair style. She now perceives her timeline in the forward direction, gathering experiences along the way, to eventually either merge with her human template or see her own origin as it happens.

I've had theories about this comic before, of course, so your grain of salt size should be very large.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

idonotlikepeas posted:

She herself mentions that she thought she was like other humans, at first. She probably started mingling with them very early on, trying to get to know them better.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Cyphoderus posted:

Just wanted to note that in that chapter they did cover that there was material evidence that Jones's story is true. Her footprint was found in presumably very ancient rock, implying she walked across it as it was cooling.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

dyzzy posted:

She herself mentions that she thought she was like other humans, at first. She probably started mingling with them very early on, trying to get to know them better.

I gotta say, this doesn't make a lot of sense. Jones witnessed human evolution first hand, I can't imagine it took Art for her to realize they have so little in common. I would think seeing these fragile creatures constantly dying from injury, disease, hunger or predators, and constantly reproducing to extend their insignificant life span would do the trick just fine.

Also, just to nitpick: would she be accepted amongst prehistoric Man? She looks pretty drat different from them... I suppose killing big game single-handedly would work, but wouldn't that work too well? She'd be like a god to them. Better check cave paintings for depictions of the Great Blonde Hunter.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Aw... He seems nice. :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This is what I have been waiting for.
What a gorgeous page.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Goddamn, Coyote is a prick here.

EDIT: He's a prick everywhere, but especially here he's convincing Renard to literally kill a man.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Not so happy. :(

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Once again, Coyote makes everything worse.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
But of course it's Coyote's fault

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Confirmed: Coyote manipulates emotions, still a jerk.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

drat it Coyote :smith:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Coyote you son of a bitch :v:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
He can't help it, it's part of his nature!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Also, check out that thousand-yard stare. :(