Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man that was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
So the robot owl is called a Bubo? What's that from?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Reset Smith posted:

I am pretty sure Clash of the Titans

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hollis posted:

ENGRAMS GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

This had better be the next thread title or I'mma be mad. :colbert:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Reset Smith posted:

Clash of the Titans, a classic old movie featuring a lot of stop-animation monsters, done by the same Ray Harryhausen mentioned in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzKhqt5IRnM

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 24, 2013

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzO83dw764A

So I just realized the therapist in Self Medication is the same one from the season 2 opener. This show has hella deep callbacks.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This had better be the next thread title or I'mma be mad. :colbert:

SPANAKOPITA!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It looks like Rusty went to Spanikos right after his dad died :unsmith:

I mean sure, they're kind of cheating him, but in an overpriced vacation kind of way. And it does make him happy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm still stunned that they made an F/X 2 reference. I've never met anyone that's even heard of it, aside from the people I was with when I saw it.

Somehow I saw it in the theater. I was...nine, I think.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They maybe cheating him, yet they are still 100 times nicer to Rusty then his actual father. They also show mare caring towards him.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
I dunno, the way he beat their asses at the end was kind of endearing, though he also just plain out doesn't like being bested so there's arguably other, probably better reasons he'd do it.

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

I can't get tiny crying Dr. Venture out of my head. It was just so pitiful. (Also, I did not realize that the season was going to be so short so I'm feeling just as upset as Rusty was now.)

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Yeah, we're halfway done already. At least there's been some instant classics in this first half.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rusty is more of a whiny annoying briefcase to his father. It doesn't matter if he's happy or not, but if he's stolen, he has to be retrieved and the perpetrators beaten up by thugs Team Venture.

Ever realize that Jonas never calls Rusty by his real name?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

On a similar "Rusty's life is full of symbolism" note, has Dr. Venture ever piloted the X1? It's his personal conveyance, but he always had his bodyguard fly. In tonight's flashback, College Rusty showed up by boat. He has never one had control of the direction in his life.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Friends Are Evil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzO83dw764A

So I just realized the therapist in Self Medication is the same one from the season 2 opener. This show has hella deep callbacks.
When they were arguing about being called Sphinx Commander, he also referred to himself as The Viceroy there too irc. Hella callbacks indeed.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I've said it before but where the hell is Doctor Orpheus and the triad?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

Very hopefully, either the entire second half of the season or on their way to becoming a spinoff.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bobulus posted:

has Dr. Venture ever piloted the X1?

Escape to the House of Mummies Part II.

Oh, and the Viceroy thing comes up in whichever episode it is that the Monarch is reading the Venture Home News and there's a letter from "G. Viceroy."

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
The Halloween special was pulled from this season's run, so there probably won't be another Orpheus/Triad centric episode. Hopefully they still show up, though.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

EatinCake posted:

When they were arguing about being called Sphinx Commander, he also referred to himself as The Viceroy there too irc. Hella callbacks indeed.
It's pretty much his alias of choice, as he used it on the Shallow Gravy special and if I recall correctly when he was writing to Dean's advice column.

It's also a play on the Monarch's schtick

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

The thing I love about Gary being 'The Viceroy' is that there's an actual butterfly called the Viceroy which has evolved to look like the (poisonous) Monarch butterfly so it won't get eaten by predators. It's brilliant, really - he was just so into the henching for the Monarch thing that when he finally goes out on his own, the name he picks isn't just great because he's imitating what he's learned from the Monarch, and a real viceroy would serve under a monarch, but also because it's the name of a lovely imitation of the same-named butterfly as well.

EDIT: REALLY? Beaten on this by one post? Goddamn. :(

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I have to say that I actually found this episode to be rather mediocre, at least in light of the rest of the episodes we've seen so far. I'm not sure whether it's simply because I missed quite a few of the references, but I just found the humour wasn't really there. I appreciated the premise, as it's almost textbook Jonas Sr./Rusty, but I just found myself smirking occasionally rather than being taken in.

It is quite nice to occasionally see bits of what the original Venture team actually did. I get the feeling that the whole affair is a lot darker than I had originally envisioned.

Oh, I'm also really not a fan of Billy's Arch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EatinCake posted:

It might be a stretch, but I thought the beginning of that episode, with Gary chasing down a the semi on a jetpack, was a reference to his first attempt at becoming a supervillain: Jetboy and Jetgirl.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Khaba posted:

I have to say that I actually found this episode to be rather mediocre, at least in light of the rest of the episodes we've seen so far.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. In my book this is similar to "Guess Who's Coming To State Dinner," where it's got some funny bits (Brock's kids, Billy's dream, and the L. Ron Hubbard fight) but as a whole doesn't compare to the rest of the series. It was interesting to see Doc happy for a change, but he's funnier when he's being a dick about everything.

And they need to either do something to change up St. Cloud or get rid of him altogether. Right now he's just an excuse to fit random movie references into scenes. It worked in the season premier because he was relegated to being part of a side-story in a huge episode, but he was a bigger part of this episode and it didn't work out very well. At least he's not as irritating as the Secret Service agent in State Dinner.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

In the Halloween special. Hoping we will see more of them later. Maybe if Publick and Hammer's plans for Tatjana Ourider (commentary for Operation P.R.O.M) come to fruition in this season we will see more of Orpheus.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I love that St. Cloud just spent millions on a bunch of pies.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

I love that St. Cloud just spent millions on a bunch of pies.

With all due fairness I would spend millions as well on spinach pie, I'd take a life for some spinach pie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was waiting for the Drachma coins they were handing out to turn out to really be the doubloons from the start of the episode and for Rusty to have won millions of dollars in ancient gold coins over the last 20 years.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm not sure if, after this episode, I should be mad at Jonas Sr. for beating up the nice pirates, or like him more for fighting Scientology,

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Because gently caress scientology.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

TontoCorazon posted:

With all due fairness I would spend millions as well on spinach pie, I'd take a life for some spinach pie.

http://www.olympiaofwilmington.com/

Yum.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The scene with Jonas Sr. Was just soo loving dark. The look on his face the knowing exchange of glances Gentleman was waiting to lock the door. The few times we see Jonas Sr. He has an upbeat attitude it was loving dropped, that felt like a mob scene.

He took a loving Eye. It just made me think that he fews rusty as his property and they messed with his property and must be punished for it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved this episode, mostly because it was just a joy to see how uncharacteristically happy Rusty was. Yay for Rusty :3:

Also because of the incredibly hosed up Clash of the Titans inspired dream sequence that ends up getting all mixed up with the story of Icarus.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

max4me posted:

The scene with Jonas Sr. Was just soo loving dark. The look on his face the knowing exchange of glances Gentleman was waiting to lock the door. The few times we see Jonas Sr. He has an upbeat attitude it was loving dropped, that felt like a mob scene.

He took a loving Eye. It just made me think that he fews rusty as his property and they messed with his property and must be punished for it.

They've shown before that the original Rusty Venture stories were really loving dark, cleaned up for kids, and whitewashed Jonas Sr.

Having Jonas Sr., Col. Gentleman, and Action Man beating the poo poo out of some poor pirates who felt pity for Rusty, and taking an eye. That seems more in character than seeing Jonas Sr. taking a cheerful a 'no harm, no foul' attitude.

If anything, it explains the appeal of The Guild. If the 'good guys' are going around acting like mobsters with impunity, then it's time to bring some parity to the situation.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 24, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That was a good episode and the Harryhausen tribute was loving amazing.

M_E_G. ADI. K
Dec 11, 2006

It was nice to see Rusty so happy. :unsmith:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Khaba posted:

I have to say that I actually found this episode to be rather mediocre, at least in light of the rest of the episodes we've seen so far. I'm not sure whether it's simply because I missed quite a few of the references, but I just found the humour wasn't really there. I appreciated the premise, as it's almost textbook Jonas Sr./Rusty, but I just found myself smirking occasionally rather than being taken in.

It is quite nice to occasionally see bits of what the original Venture team actually did. I get the feeling that the whole affair is a lot darker than I had originally envisioned.

Oh, I'm also really not a fan of Billy's Arch.

Glad to see I'm not alone on this. The whole episode felt a bit thin. There were plenty of great moments interspersed throughout (like the amazing Harryhausen tribute), but I just couldn't get into the episode as a whole. And that St. Cloud guy? A gimmick, and a two-dimensional one at that.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
How many episodes is this season again? Also is there even any idea when season 6 is coming out?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Since Ray Harryhausen died May 7th of this year, that means he was still alive when this episode was in the can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LP97S posted:

How many episodes is this season again? Also is there even any idea when season 6 is coming out?

Only eight episodes and there's no word at all on season six except that they hope for a smaller gap this time.