Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
The Festive Monster’s Cheerful Failure.

It's, uh... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustLeo
Dec 12, 2011
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru is loving awesome. There's plenty of martial arts manga series out there, but this one never fails to bring humor and action together in perfect harmony. The artwork is pretty good too.

It focuses a lot on karate at first, but it expands on the different form of martial arts the fighters use as the story progresses.

JustLeo fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 8, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Just a note - 'never fails to bring humor and action together' is sorta true, but it's never in 'perfect harmony'. Expect massive moodswings between chapters as you go from everyone losing their dojo to dildo nun-chucks

It's a pretty good series though, and avoids any 'ki powers' or things of the like. People hit each other a lot, and then people go down.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
King of Hell

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Bonnouji, a PROPER, ACTIVE love story about a boy who gets weird stuff shipped to him from his brother, and a girl who finds it all, and him, just great.

Thank you kind sir for this recommendation. A sweet (and to the point, not "we need 10 volumes to kiss") romantic comedy / SOL.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

burtonos posted:

King of Hell

This guy looks strangely like my Uncle and its sort of creepin' me out.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Silva is a pretty decent comedy series, I think. Reminds me a bit of Astro Fighter Sunred with it's nice badguys and lazy jerk heroes.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I've posted it ITT before, but it deserves a repost since scanlations have finally resumed.

Yumekui Merry

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Ocha Nigosu

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gundam Sousei

Story: The behind-the-scenes stories about the production of the original Mobile Suit Gundam (with a few one-offs like a chapter on Space Runaway Ideon's origins). Done by the same guy who did Legend of Koizumi. Series is complete, by the way.

Setup of image: Yoshiyuki Tomino (right) giving some..."motivation" to Tohru Furuya (left) for the legendary "Even my father never hit me!" line.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

cisneros posted:

Ocha Nigosu

Ahaha this is great. I like how this guy really is a violent punk rather than a milquetoast with a weird face.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Ocha Nigosu has the best flashback in the history of anything I've read.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

One

Punch

Man

really funny story, with amazing art.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 12, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ughhhh posted:

One

Punch

Man

Yeah but you posted like... 3 whole chapters! :v:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Hello Helper

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's not how translator's notes are supposed to work argrgrghrgh

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
What are you talking about? It's something the translator noted while he was reading the manga. :shepface:

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 14, 2013

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Captain Invictus posted:

Bonnouji, a PROPER, ACTIVE love story about a boy who gets weird stuff shipped to him from his brother, and a girl who finds it all, and him, just great.

Just want to chime in on this being really good.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

AnonSpore posted:

That's not how translator's notes are supposed to work argrgrghrgh

I guess one good point is that the TL Notes are literally unreadable?

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws

ughhhh posted:

One

Punch

Man

I'm converted and this is awesome, but; is the middle Gif not loading for anyone else?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Nukoduke!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Sormus posted:

Nukoduke!

This was too adorable, thanks for sharing. :kimchi:

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President

(Note: reads left to right)

advokat fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 15, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Girl the Wild's/Girls of the Wilds

This doesn't really cover what the series is actually about, but is pretty indicative of its sense of humor. The premise sounds incredibly eyeroll-worthy, but it's a really fun series with good fights and art, enjoyable characters, and (I think) it manages to avoid most of the pitfalls you'd expect of such a premise. Yes, I'm cheating a bit, but sometimes things need a little explanation.

Edit: Sorry, I have to add one more to give a better representation of the non-comedy parts and the best character.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 17, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

Banana Bread Pudding

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
I apologize in advance for this post. I've been reading a lot of raw manga lately and keep finding good panels that would fit well here. And since the thread has been pretty slow lately I figured I might as well post a few of them. Hopefully this doesn't make people too angry :)

Just to be absolutely clear: :siren: These are all manga that have not been translated beyond maybe a chapter or two :siren:
I've tried to at least pick out things that require no knowledge of Japanese to get, however. If you don't know any Japanese think of it as stuff to look out for in the future.

Sabagebu - Seems like a pretty standard kind of manga that is way better than it should be mainly due to its great main character. Here she is loving with someone who's just trying to meditate:

And here she is beating up a fat nerd over a video game:

Slime-san to Yuusha Kenkyuubu (Miss Slime and the Hero Research Club) - The backstory to this one is stupidly convoluted for what it is, suffice to say that the main character turns into a slime (of the Dragon Quest variety) when she gets hit by water.

Pontera - Is Purple Monkey Dishwasher humor at its worst best.

Bonus Image! His other shirt says "World's best teacher"

Area 51 - Draws a lot of inspiration from western comics in both art style and tone (sorry for the quantity of images in this one but I thought it showed off the style really well).

Sora ga Haiiro Dakara (Because the Sky is Gray) - Is one of the more interesting manga I've read lately. It's more short stories than a continuing narrative and seems to have awkward interpersonal relationships as a theme. I really wish it was translated so there could be a thread for it here. The character in the image means "Death".

Muromi by the Shore - Some people have been watching the anime but it seems like the manga scanlation has stalled out which is unfortunate.

:ssh: If your wondering what she's saying it's "Happy New Year"

If any of these images gently caress with peoples browser and need to be timg'ed let me know. I figured since it was an image thread people would be okay with slightly bigger images and imgur always does weird things to quality so I never know if they're too big or not.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 22, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

chumbler posted:

Girl the Wild's/Girls of the Wilds

This doesn't really cover what the series is actually about, but is pretty indicative of its sense of humor. The premise sounds incredibly eyeroll-worthy, but it's a really fun series with good fights and art, enjoyable characters, and (I think) it manages to avoid most of the pitfalls you'd expect of such a premise. Yes, I'm cheating a bit, but sometimes things need a little explanation.

Edit: Sorry, I have to add one more to give a better representation of the non-comedy parts and the best character.

This is really bloody good. I'm still not sure if it's a romantic comedy, a slice of life or if it's going to go full shonen on me next page, but I don't care, I'm having a blast reading it.

And yes, Lee Moon Young is the best. :black101:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Cesare - Church politics in Renaisance Italy and Cesare Borgia. Full of pretty boys...

...and prettier locales.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Wallman - This just dropped in to some manga reading sites, decided to look at it a bit. Not a fan of how he draws women in general (everyone sporting a camel toe) but other than that the art is kinda nice. Both images are kinda NSFW due to blood, but the second one is an example of how the female protagonist is drawn.
Main Dude

Main Lady

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You know at that point it's not really a skin-tight catsuit at all, the artist is basically drawing a naked woman and putting greytone on.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That guy has done a bunch of other stuff and while he's a stupidly good artist all his women look like that. Read Hotel it ruled.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sormus posted:

Wallman - This just dropped in to some manga reading sites, decided to look at it a bit. Not a fan of how he draws women in general (everyone sporting a camel toe) but other than that the art is kinda nice. Both images are kinda NSFW due to blood, but the second one is an example of how the female protagonist is drawn.
Main Dude

Main Lady

Ok well the painted-on suit is ridiculous but she's outnumbered by fat old assassins so I'm going to give it a shot.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Boichi's women are just kinda creepy, they look like 12 year old beauty pageant entries with more tits and rear end and collagen lips. Almost everything Boichi does is unapologetically ecchi, or just straight hentai and he has a massive hard on for Korea(the female lead is Korean). The protagonist from Wall man looks like ken from Sun Ken Rock aged 30 years + 50 pounds. I dunno, I might keep reading it if I can stand the blend of hyper violence and ecchi. I hope this doesn't get as tiresome as SKR, it might be fun.

As for the skintight suit, that's staid for this artist. He's drawn heroines clad only in Sushi and girl-girl knife fights where only the clothes are cut, leaving both naked. He never misses a good panty shot, ever. It's one of the things that makes SKR tiresome, besides it being a fighter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait, that dude did Hotel?

That's a shame. He can make really interesting and thought-provoking one-shots, but apparently everything else is all T&A, all the time?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AxeBreaker posted:

Almost everything Boichi does is unapologetically ecchi, or just straight hentai and he has a massive hard on for Korea(the female lead is Korean).

From what I heard from an editor acquaintance, he still does the occasional hentai on the side. Also, I'm pretty sure the hard on for Korea is because of the fact that he's Korean. Does not excuse the sameface the females get dealt, though.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I guess he knows his Japanese audience then, because in SKR and thus far in Wallman, Koreans consistently lose to Japanese characters. Granted, bad guys always tend to lose to good guys, but the premise of a random Japanese martial artist taking over Korean organized crime panders just a little.

EDIT: The really sad part about Boichi isn't that it's all T & A, it's that great and funny concepts get loaded with ecchi poo poo. I'm reading Energy Hunters now, and it's good between all the mini-skirt rear end-shots. I guess Boichi runs a little too hot-blooded for me.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 25, 2013

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

of bees posted:

The building looks nice, but the girl's skirt and lady's shawl really take away from the effect because they have that "unmoving plaid" design.

Compare that to the patterns in Otoyomegatari and you can see the different between 'texture that was pasted on using layers in photoshop' and actual hand-drawn textures:

Kaoru Mori loving blows my mind. Emma had some awesome detail work as well.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

RebBrownies posted:

Kaoru Mori loving blows my mind. Emma had some awesome detail work as well.

Here's a video of her drawing (actually, it's a whole bunch of videos of a single drawing, it's THAT detailed), it has multiple pages.

http://natalie.mu/comic/pp/otoyomegatari

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I remember that Otoyomegatari started when I was in high school and I loved it so much and I just wanted Kaoru to hurry up, but after watching that video I really don't mind waiting.

The amount of historical research that Kaoru puts into her stories, and the dynamic female characters is superb. Her use of nudity is so telling about her as well. God everything she does is awesome.

Although I thought the end of Emma was kind of clunky, her attention to detail and story telling was exquisite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Miijhal posted:

The Festive Monster’s Cheerful Failure.

It's, uh... :psyduck:

Holy poo poo I knew I recognized this style from somewhere, but I just couldn't figure it out until I read on the Miscellaneous Shonen thread that it's done by Manbo-P! It all makes sense now, my life has been that much more clarified.

• Locked thread