Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Hm, it didn't work this morning but seems to be working now. Maybe I pressed the wrong button.

What is better about downcast?

There really is no problem with the default app anymore. It was TERRIBLE for the first few versions, but it's been really solid for at least a couple months. Save your $2. This is assuming you don't care about location based downloads (e.g. automatically download all your podcasts when you get home). I always stream so I don't really give a poo poo about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Get your Grant-Morrison-Rags-Morales-Man-of-Steel-lens-flare Comic Book fix*.

http://codehookup.com/0e66336a

*US iTunes Accounts only

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Oh boy videos on Instagram. Can't wait to see filtered videos of people's disgusting looking food.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

keevo posted:

Oh boy videos on Instagram. Can't wait to see filtered videos of people's disgusting looking food.

Was Vine that much of a threat? Couldn't Facebook just keep it to pictures?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

I guess so. It's been growing like crazy since it was bought in January. http://www.wired.com/business/2013/06/twitter-vine-growth/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

What is better about downcast?
The problem is that most Downcast users like me have been using it since before the Podcasts app existed. So what made it better was that you could download podcasts without syncing to iTunes. And now that it's purchased, I'm only going to switch if there is some killer feature in another app.

This tends to make it hard to find good comparisons.

But lets see, there's only a few real things I see beter in Downcast after playing with Podcasts for a couple minutes:

* Downcast has 30s and 2m skip forward, Podcasts only has 15s. I'm a bad person who uses the 2 minute button to skip ads.
* Podcasts makes it harder to see the show notes (only from the episode list, not Now Playing), and it removes any links which is dumb.
* Location based syncing is a hack, but it's all we got until iOS 7 which should fix background downloads for good.

Otherwise they are *very* similar. Downcast has a ton of settings if you want to configure it to exactly your liking, but I don't use most of them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

PaganGoatPants posted:

It didn't even occur to me that anyone had launched Vine after the first few days of launch.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

It didn't even occur to me that anyone had launched Vine after the first few days of launch.

It's weird. I started hearing about vine here and there at first. You would think with twitter behind it they would have made it more noticeable. But I guess they wanted to do a soft launch and get the kinks out.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Killer features for me:

Downcast lets you adjust the base volume by podcast if you hate having to turn up the car stereo every time you want to listen to Fresh Air.

You can swipe and tap to skip ahead/back 30s and play/pause, which is great if you use it in the car and don't want to take your eyes off the road.

If you send the system "Previous/Next Track" commands to downcast (like you might from the multitasking bar, a dock, or the lock screen audio controls) it'll skip ahead/back 30s rather than change tracks or restarting from the beginning.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Vine is really cool and I've had a lot of fun using it, but I think the one thing holding it back is that it's really difficult to find your Facebook friends on there. You pretty much have to either ask them in a separate channel, or wait until they post a Vine video on Facebook.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I was recently given an iPad mini and I've been getting all my apps set up on it today. While I really love Reeder on the iPhone, it seems like the iPad version isn't nearly as developed. I can't even manage my subscriptions on it (add, remove, tag) and that's kind of silly.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a rss reader that works well on both the iPhone and iPad? I'm halfway tempted to just use the iPhone version on my mini even though it'll look stupid.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
I like feedly. Their web version is ok as well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I use Mr. Reader on iPad.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

At this point what are the best drawing/sketching apps around? I've been out of the loop for a while when it comes to iPad apps. I'd also love to find one that emulates painting fairly well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does the Google hangouts app not show badges on iPhone?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It's a bit buggy in my experience. For me sometimes the notifications or badges don't go away unless I go to my hangouts list. I have had no badge a couple of times as well. Hopefully the next release will fix some of these bugs.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

serebralassazin posted:

It's a bit buggy in my experience. For me sometimes the notifications or badges don't go away unless I go to my hangouts list. I have had no badge a couple of times as well. Hopefully the next release will fix some of these bugs.

Only asking because my group of friends have made the switch from Facebook messenger to Google hangouts, and that's the one thing that didn't like about it.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

PFlats posted:

Killer features for me:

Downcast lets you adjust the base volume by podcast if you hate having to turn up the car stereo every time you want to listen to Fresh Air.

How do you do this? The "Stuff You Should Know" podcast is really really quiet and it frustrates me.

webmeister posted:

Vine is really cool and I've had a lot of fun using it, but I think the one thing holding it back is that it's really difficult to find your Facebook friends on there. You pretty much have to either ask them in a separate channel, or wait until they post a Vine video on Facebook.
Probably because it's meant to go with Twitter rather than FB.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

All of my co-workers* have discovered Vine over the past two weeks and they're obsessed with it. It's definitely catching on.

*My co-workers are in their mid 30's and post the most mundane things on Vine. I wish people were more selective when it comes to content sharing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Posting mundane crap on social networking sites is the most exciting thing that mid-30s people do.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

withak posted:

Posting mundane crap on social networking sites is the most exciting thing that mid-30s people do.

That is certainly true. My wife and I are in our early 30s and the talk of our social networks has been our taking our twin 5 month old daughters out to their first breakfast at a sleazy dinner (complete with pictures). Getting old is the worst

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

At this point what are the best drawing/sketching apps around? I've been out of the loop for a while when it comes to iPad apps. I'd also love to find one that emulates painting fairly well.
For real media I think Art Rage is supposed to be good but I have no experience with it myself. I've just been using SketchBook Pro since it came out years ago, and Procreate is pretty good in its own ways.

Otherwise for vector art I'm not sure. I use TouchDraw for stuff but that's a bit overkill (and not particularly smooth workflow wise) for sketching, Adobe Ideas might be better for that, or SketchBook Ink but that has its own quirks from what I've played with.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

keevo posted:

How do you do this? The "Stuff You Should Know" podcast is really really quiet and it frustrates me.
Choose the podcast so that its list of episodes is showing, hit the gear for that podcasts's settings, then find this:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
After about two years I've finally found a use for IFTTT: sending my 'watch later' youtubes to Pocket.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PFlats posted:

Choose the podcast so that its list of episodes is showing, hit the gear for that podcasts's settings, then find this:

You should note that you should set this back to normal if you connect decent speakers or you have a decently loud podcast, as this can cause distortion.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Yeah, it's a solution of last resort in some cases. +1 isn't bad but +3 has some rough distortion.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

keevo posted:

Probably because it's meant to go with Twitter rather than FB.

For the first day or so you could import friends from Facebook. The Facebook blocked vine.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like paper and procreate

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Thanks for the RSS suggestions guys. Feedly seems to be working fairly well for me. Still can't move feeds from one folder to another, but whatever.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ZShakespeare posted:

For the first day or so you could import friends from Facebook. The Facebook blocked vine.

Haha, that's hilariously petty.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

i need a good email client, something that will work with multiple accounts. Is there a better choice than the native email client that comes with iOS?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

uh zip zoom posted:

i need a good email client, something that will work with multiple accounts. Is there a better choice than the native email client that comes with iOS?

What aren't you getting out of the iOS email client that is prompting you look for an alternative?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

randyest posted:

I like paper and procreate

Procreate is the bee's knees when it comes to drawing/painting apps. It's got a detailed and very responsive brush system, and the UI stays out of the way.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the best free remote desktop app? I know LogMeIn is in the OP but I'd rather not install a separate server. I don't need any fancy video streaming (though that actually would be nice), just want to be able to remote in to check on the status of long workloads and what not.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 24, 2013

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the best free remote desktop app? I know LogMeIn is in the OP but I'd rather not install a separate server. I don't need any fancy video streaming (though that actually would be nice), just want to be able to remote in to check on the status of long workloads and what not.

You don't need a separate server for LogMeIn. Just run the client on your desktop and its remotable from the app, or browser if you happen to be at work with a no-fun firewall.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
What platforms and network setups? Like if it's Mac to Mac and you have control of the network (like mess with ports if necessary) you could use the built in Screen Sharing/Back to my Mac, or any VNC client with it (albeit with worse performance). If it's for another OS and/or a more complex network then I don't know which ones can work without installing a server.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Someone please recommend me a free podcast app alternative to the regular iOS one. I'd like an alternative since it seems like the iOS podcast app is broken on iOS7.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Shampy posted:

Someone please recommend me a free podcast app alternative to the regular iOS one. I'd like an alternative since it seems like the iOS podcast app is broken on iOS7.

Pay the $0.99 for Downcast. It is my most used app, and I have no real complaints about it.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

After about two years I've finally found a use for IFTTT: sending my 'watch later' youtubes to Pocket.

I've been looking for a reason to use IFTTT and this sounds exactly like something I'd like to do - was it easy to set up? Also I thought Pocket was like Readability or Instapaper, where it converted websites to a more readable format and saved them for offline viewing; I didn't think video was supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

foobar posted:

I've been looking for a reason to use IFTTT and this sounds exactly like something I'd like to do - was it easy to set up? Also I thought Pocket was like Readability or Instapaper, where it converted websites to a more readable format and saved them for offline viewing; I didn't think video was supported.

It's very easy to set up. Just activate your youtube and pocket channels from IFTTT (authorising IFTTT to use them basically) then add the 'recipe' (it was already created by somebody else).

After fiddling about with the various read it later services I've gone all in with Pocket and deleted the rest. I'm not sure if any of the others support Video but Pocket has for a while, as well as its core function of saving websites in a stripped down format.

• Locked thread