Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FaceEater posted:

Well since you're just making it up, if I don't like it, that means it's free, right?

Is itttttt yourrrr birrrrrrrrrrrrthhhhhhh dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

If we could move the Australians back to England

The cruelest of fates

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
We had an old man wander in at 11am right as we opened today. He was very clearly trashed. He kept saying "I jussss wanna beeeerrrrr" and so we got him to leave.

3 hours later he stumbles back in having changed his clothes and sits down at the bar and yells out "BLOODY MARY!"
We were like "Um, no. You're gonna have to leave. Come back another day when you're not so drunk and we can serve you."

So he gets up and walks out and we think that's the end of it.

30 minutes later he strolls back in and asks the manager for an application.

I have never laughed so hard in my life.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So did you hire him? Please say you hired him.

We got a resume one time on bright pink paper with the words STARTENDER on the top in an arc, with, like, some stars behind it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Sheep-Goats posted:

So did you hire him? Please say you hired him.

We got a resume one time on bright pink paper with the words STARTENDER on the top in an arc, with, like, some stars behind it.

He looked like Willie Nelson if Willie Nelson did meth.

I told my manager if he came back in a suit with his hair pulled back into a ponytail, I'm serving him, I don't care how drunk he already is.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
Interview incoming with a vodka bar who make a big noise about being one of the top 100 employers to work for in the UK.

Everything has vodka in it. Even the mojitos. Even the pizzas. Even the salsa.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

rorty posted:

Everything has vodka in it. Even the mojitos. Even the pizzas. Even the salsa.

I'll have 2 pitchers of "water" please.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Just got asked about possibly hosting a weekly beer club at my new bar by my boss. I have a passion for beer, the history, makeup, production, and consumption of it. I had already tried every beer in my new job's fridge/taps long before I had even applied there, and each new beer that comes in I've also already had and can talk about to some extent. Besides being a homebrewer I've considered myself a huge beer nerd for some time.

My boss is hoping this will establish the bar I work at as a craft beer hub in our neighborhood; there are several such bars in other parts of the city (for those familiar with Vancouver, the Alibi Room, St. Augustines and Bitter are some examples). But beer for me is a hobby that has only ever minimally intermingled with bartending which, for me, is just a job to work while I'm at school.

Have any of you fine folks ever had to set up and maintain anything similar to this? I've got more than adequate knowledge of the product, but little experience with arranging these kind of extended (grass roots?) social and business ventures.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JawKnee posted:

Just got asked about possibly hosting a weekly beer club at my new bar by my boss. I have a passion for beer, the history, makeup, production, and consumption of it. I had already tried every beer in my new job's fridge/taps long before I had even applied there, and each new beer that comes in I've also already had and can talk about to some extent. Besides being a homebrewer I've considered myself a huge beer nerd for some time.

My boss is hoping this will establish the bar I work at as a craft beer hub in our neighborhood; there are several such bars in other parts of the city (for those familiar with Vancouver, the Alibi Room, St. Augustines and Bitter are some examples). But beer for me is a hobby that has only ever minimally intermingled with bartending which, for me, is just a job to work while I'm at school.

Have any of you fine folks ever had to set up and maintain anything similar to this? I've got more than adequate knowledge of the product, but little experience with arranging these kind of extended (grass roots?) social and business ventures.

Reach out to your distributors immediately. I don't know how distribution works in Frostback Land, but they should be willing and able to help get you going. They should provide literature, glassware, discounted kegs, etc. - you're effectively pushing their product, and they have an incentive to help with that. They will probably help with marketing as well, again, just ask.

If you provide a reason for people to show up, they'll be there. "$2 lovely domestic night!" brings one crowd, "$5 new draft night!" brings a different one, if you can build an audience. Also use social media - I guarantee that there are beer bloggers in Vancouver. Get to know them, get them to show up, and get them to plug your events.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

JawKnee posted:

I work once a forthnight at a smaller bar specialized in local beers. The boss handles distribution and all practical aspects: there are a couple wonderful liquor stores in the area, and he knows the local brewers well enough to get some specials. It's a small bar, so we don't get huge volumes, but we do get a lot of repeat customers. In the end, I'm not selling beer, I'm selling stories with some beers attached - if you have the opportunity, organize tastings, sell beers with factoids and stories, and please have menu that mentions more than just the name of the beer.
The biggest hurdle is supply - some breweries are too small to guarantee a constant delivery of your beer - after a while, you'll know those breweries you can trust to put on a somewhat standard menu and those breweries you can only trust if they have just made a delivery.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Reach out to your distributors immediately. I don't know how distribution works in Frostback Land, but they should be willing and able to help get you going. They should provide literature, glassware, discounted kegs, etc. - you're effectively pushing their product, and they have an incentive to help with that. They will probably help with marketing as well, again, just ask.

If you provide a reason for people to show up, they'll be there. "$2 lovely domestic night!" brings one crowd, "$5 new draft night!" brings a different one, if you can build an audience. Also use social media - I guarantee that there are beer bloggers in Vancouver. Get to know them, get them to show up, and get them to plug your events.

I somewhat doubt I'll be handling distribution, my boss will likely take care of that, but he has mentioned that he'd like to get the local brewer blogging scene in on this, so I may have to take care of that.

Local craft and micro/nano-breweries around are a little strange with their support sometimes. Some of them are mighty popular and know it, so we're lucky if they give us anything (for instance, a local group had no glassware for us, and barely any coasters). Others are free with support but it varies (at least according to my bosses).

Agricola Frigidus posted:

I work once a forthnight at a smaller bar specialized in local beers. The boss handles distribution and all practical aspects: there are a couple wonderful liquor stores in the area, and he knows the local brewers well enough to get some specials. It's a small bar, so we don't get huge volumes, but we do get a lot of repeat customers. In the end, I'm not selling beer, I'm selling stories with some beers attached - if you have the opportunity, organize tastings, sell beers with factoids and stories, and please have menu that mentions more than just the name of the beer.
The biggest hurdle is supply - some breweries are too small to guarantee a constant delivery of your beer - after a while, you'll know those breweries you can trust to put on a somewhat standard menu and those breweries you can only trust if they have just made a delivery.

We've got 16 taps currently, and we're already running mostly local craft brew - what my boss has so far mentioned to me is that he wants this to be a kind of cask night - bring in 2 or 3 smaller very unique brews and get a crowd in for tastings. Great idea with the menus, I'll likely do a small writeup for our current beers and see what the owners think; I tend to mentally break down beers into their ingredients whenever I try them, and already love talking about that kind of stuff. As I said I doubt I'll be handling supply, though both my bosses have asked for my input on current and future lines.

Thanks for the advice SB and Agricola, I appreciate it :)

Tastic
Jun 3, 2005

JawKnee posted:

I somewhat doubt I'll be handling distribution, my boss will likely take care of that, but he has mentioned that he'd like to get the local brewer blogging scene in on this, so I may have to take care of that.

I would suggest somehow getting in on the meetings or something. Having a middle man could bring up a lot of problems. This sounds kind of like a decent sized undertaking, so if the distro guys know who you are, respect you, etc, you are more likely to get in on some sweet deals.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Woke up to a moment of clarity yesterday and I will be leaving my current gig. I don't have a backup other than some PT online work, and people always say this is a bad idea, but I'm a special snowflake/it's really, really high time. I talked about it a year ago, and it's just got to be now. I feel badly cause the place is small, tight-knit like family to me, but I gotta do right by me. *sigh*

Handing in the letter in about two or three hours. Oh joy.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Going back to bar work over the summer before I start a "career" job in the autumn. My head tells me get the closest, easiest job I can get but part of me wants to go to a club and work till 5 in the morning like I used to, blazing through 8 hour shifts before I even get a chance to check my watch and having staff drinks till the sun comes up.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Working 7 days a week, 8 hour shifts each day

Summer is awesome

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JawKnee posted:

Working 7 days a week, 8 hour shifts each day

Summer is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKTN5NHfwlQ

Hoops posted:

Going back to bar work over the summer before I start a "career" job in the autumn.

NOoooooo

Bar for 13 years then sexpat, for the love of the lord

raton fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 5, 2013

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
4 more shifts, then, the great unknown. It was a good few years. I might well be back at it soon enough though judging by the sheer number of returners here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I've recently had several friends ask me to teach them how to bartend, despite not having been behind the wood for a half decade. Should be....interesting.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've recently had several friends ask me to teach them how to bartend, despite not having been behind the wood for a half decade. Should be....interesting.

Like being drunk on a bicycle at home

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shooting Blanks posted:

It puts the liquor in the basket

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
What are the go to questions to ask when starting at a new place? For barbacks and bartenders.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

rorty posted:

What are the go to questions to ask when starting at a new place? For barbacks and bartenders.

For barbacks, you need to know where poo poo is. Everything. Find out where the kegs are kept (one place I worked at had 90% of their kegs in one room in the basement, but three of their draft lines for some inexplicable reason were behind a fake wall upstairs next to the kitchen), where dry storage is (straws, rags, extra glassware, etc.), where liquor is kept, where the pop bibs are at, where the ice machine is, where garbage goes if you need to empty a garbage, etc. You basically need to be able to get everything taken care of ASAP if the bartender needs something, and being able to locate it effortlessly helps a ton.

Don't ask about pouring, how long it takes to be a bartender or anything like that. Learn what drink specials are for the joint, what sidework needs to get done early on and any other preparations that need to be done. EG, .25 draft night vs. $2 highball night. You'll be running around doing different poo poo for both of those, so it's important to know what's going on when.

Can't think of anything really a bartender should be asking, beyond basic poo poo like 'what's the house tipout?'

rorty
Oct 13, 2010

Perdido posted:

For barbacks, you need to know where poo poo is. Everything. Find out where the kegs are kept (one place I worked at had 90% of their kegs in one room in the basement, but three of their draft lines for some inexplicable reason were behind a fake wall upstairs next to the kitchen), where dry storage is (straws, rags, extra glassware, etc.), where liquor is kept, where the pop bibs are at, where the ice machine is, where garbage goes if you need to empty a garbage, etc. You basically need to be able to get everything taken care of ASAP if the bartender needs something, and being able to locate it effortlessly helps a ton.

Don't ask about pouring, how long it takes to be a bartender or anything like that. Learn what drink specials are for the joint, what sidework needs to get done early on and any other preparations that need to be done. EG, .25 draft night vs. $2 highball night. You'll be running around doing different poo poo for both of those, so it's important to know what's going on when.

Can't think of anything really a bartender should be asking, beyond basic poo poo like 'what's the house tipout?'

I'm looking for things that vary between bars and the standard "if this happens, then do x" types. I'm a bartender but just took up at a new place and doing obligatory barbacking because it's quite a bit bigger than my previous establishment and they want me to know it inside out before I hit the bar. Because they're part of a very small chain I asked if they had an employee handbook or something, they said they didn't but that it was a good idea to get people up to speed and they'd consider it. Thought it might make an interesting discussion topic as opposed to the usual 'what should I know before I start' question.

Three main bars, one satellite. Operates very, very much like a US bar, in comparison to normal UK methods.

They have a dumb waiter type thing running between the cellar and the bar, too, which I am beside myself with delight about. Last time I barbacked I think I'd take around 24 cases of beer/etc up two flights of stairs a night. That's not even including end of night restock.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Speaking of bar backing, I'm on my way to pinch hit at one of the August temples to cocktails for my friends. Remember: you don't do favors. You collect debts.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Vegetable Melange posted:

Speaking of bar backing, I'm on my way to pinch hit at one of the August temples to cocktails for my friends. Remember: you don't do favors. You collect debts.

In collecting on the end of my tenure behind the wood (for now), several cartons of cigarettes, absurd amounts of cash, and lots and lots of booze. It's the perks, man. However, I'm going to probably have to pay that forward in the form of playing outside adviser to the place. And I do still have my keys, and was asked to keep them...

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 16, 2013

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
I'm perfecting a cocktail based on a biscuity cake orangey thing some UK folk might be familiar with and I'm really trying to get the biscuity taste on the end. Any suggestions on what might add biscuity tastes to a cocktail?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

1) place scone in bottom of double rocks glass
2) build drink

or maybe garnish with a biscotti, I dunno

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

rorty posted:

I'm perfecting a cocktail based on a biscuity cake orangey thing some UK folk might be familiar with and I'm really trying to get the biscuity taste on the end. Any suggestions on what might add biscuity tastes to a cocktail?
Jaffa Cake Martini? would sell like a motherfucker to a young crowd.

I would try Cointreau, Amaretto, splash of vanilla vodka, and maybe also make a tester with a bit of cinnamon schnapps (might not work for what you're going for). Just amaretto and cointreau would be close enough I expect. Blue bols would cut through more with the orange flavour but well, you know, it's blue. It will be more "cakey" than "biscuity". Can't think of how you're going to get "biscuity" in liquid form, unless you want to start dicking about with eggs and stuff.

[edit]on second thought actual powdered cinnamon instead of schnapps, don't think you'll taste the schnapps in that so you're just using stock for no reason. Just a little bit though. You won't get it to taste exactly a jaffa cake but you can get "orange and cakey" pretty well.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 24, 2013

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Have you considered liquid flavorings? Something like "Pie Crust" from The Flavor Apprentice, Waffle or Graham Cracker from Capella, or Cookie from FlavourArt.

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try
Try a dry Sherry

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hoops posted:

I would try Cointreau, Amaretto, splash of vanilla vodka, and maybe also make a tester with a bit of cinnamon schnapps (might not work for what you're going for). Just amaretto and cointreau would be close enough I expect. Blue bols would cut through more with the orange flavour but well, you know, it's blue. It will be more "cakey" than "biscuity". Can't think of how you're going to get "biscuity" in liquid form, unless you want to start dicking about with eggs and stuff.

[edit]on second thought actual powdered cinnamon instead of schnapps, don't think you'll taste the schnapps in that so you're just using stock for no reason. Just a little bit though. You won't get it to taste exactly a jaffa cake but you can get "orange and cakey" pretty well.

I'm going to inflict this on someone tomorrow night. Trip report to follow.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Varied amounts of citrus vodka and Frangelico/hazelnut with the ingredients Hoops suggested. More cake-like, yes, but might get you in the right direction. Especially the Frangelico. Can do very amazing things towards creating strange baked flavors.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FaceEater posted:

Varied amounts of citrus vodka and Frangelico/hazelnut with the ingredients Hoops suggested. More cake-like, yes, but might get you in the right direction. Especially the Frangelico. Can do very amazing things towards creating strange baked flavors.

I'd probably shake frangelico, lemon vodka and a tiny dash of grenadine (for color) and then float that on top of room temp Cointreau.

e: Oh a martini, just mix it all up in a bucket (equal parts probably), throw a lemon wedge in there before shaking to get some debris going on, garnish with crushed up cookie stuck to the rim or a cookie on a napkin on the side.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 24, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Biscotti baileys with orange liqueur? Maybe i'm being a little unambitious here though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

FaceEater posted:

I was trying to think of the name of that poo poo. My usual bar here makes a shot called a chocolate cake which is made with Frangelico, sugared rim and a lemon wedge. You do it like tequila and I don't know how but it tastes like loving chocolate cake, and there's nothing actually chocolate-flavored in it :iiam:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chocolate cake is one of the few shots that is reliably the same from bar to bar. Typically it's half frangelico (amaretto or hazelnut liqueur is sometimes subbed) and half lemon vodka. Often it's served in sugar rimmed glassware with a lemon wedge, or a sugared lemon wedge.

It's a crowd pleaser and because it's not bright blue or whatever guys can drink it too. "Ten shots of whatever" would often be chocolate cake from me. Pour it into a flute and put a little champagne on top for Valentines day. Whatever.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010

Hoops posted:

Spot on, although not necessarily a Martini style. I was going to serve it in a coupe, and if it gets popular then maybe work on a milkshake style variant to run through the end of the summer. The biscuit flavour vs cake flavour actually fits in with the tax history of the Jaffa Cake.

What I had so far was Cointreau, Bols Cacao Clear, a dash of orange bitters and Absolut Vanilla. There's a dark chocolate aftertaste which I'm getting from the Cacao and the Cointreau is about as close as I can get to the orange but I was really gunning for the biscuit/cake taste. I did actually find Jaffa Cake vodka but it's just orange and dark chocolate, and I want that biscuit/cake taste to push it to the next level and get people thinking "gently caress me it actually tastes like a Jaffa Cake".

I think the Frangelico might be that missing step. I'll try it out in work and report back, thanks so much for the great suggestions.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
First shift at a new spot, I feel slow and old. And I don't know where anything is. And my back hurts. Get off my lawn!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Vegetable Melange posted:

First shift at a new spot, I feel slow and old. And I don't know where anything is. And my back hurts. Get off my lawn!

Ain't that the truth. I repaid a favor awhile back to a friend and took a shift at his bar and had the exact same feeling. Then I found out I had the second highest ring of the night, and the highest behind the main bar. Made me feel a bit better about it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

rorty posted:

You have two choice when making a drink that mimics the flavors found in another product: fake everything and alienate the identity of the cocktail for the sake of it's inspiration, or make a properly balanced cocktail that is an homage the flavors that inspire it. I'd suggest the latter. Oh, and it's a cocktail, not a Martini.

Like it was said but ignored before, if you want egg and nutty flavors, use Amontillado sherry, or if you want something a little sweeter use Pale Cream. Don't use triple sec for a concentrated orange flavor, it has other citrus in it. Use a curacao or better yet an amer l'orange, like Picon, or Torani. Use Guatemalan rum for the vanilla, something like Zacapa or Zaya (though technically now made in Trinidad). Orgeat will give you extra nut flavor as well and is actually tastes of almonds not apricot cookies as amaretto does.

Hopefully that helps and doesn't come off as condescending.

• Locked thread