Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Prate posted:

Will Apple replace my battery for free if I bring it in while still under warranty? I had a service battery warning a couple weeks ago, but it went away after I plugged in my Macbook Air. Running coconutBattery Online I can see that my battery capacity is far below the average capacity.

Really can't hurt to try. The unibody rule of thumb was (and still is?) at least 80% battery health for 1000 cycles (i.e. 5 years), so yours appears to be really falling short of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

I ordered two 2013 Macbook Airs:

11" - i7/8GB/256GB
13" - i7/8GB/256GB

When I play any games (even small/light ones), the fan turns on within 60 seconds and it gets very, very loud and the bottom is just below too hot to touch.

Is it because of the i7 upgraded CPU?

No some things such as games, online flash games or Netflix horrible Silverlight really abuse the CPU leading the fan ramping up like crazy. You can use the handy activity monitor to see the CPU abuse.

On a somewhat derail another small advantage of the Retina series vs. MBA is they provide better cooling due to having 2 fans and also extra vents.

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 24, 2013

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

etalian posted:

No some things such as games, online flash games or Netflix horrible Silverlight really abuse the CPU leading the fan ramping up like crazy. You can use the handy activity monitor to see the CPU abuse.

On a somewhat derail another small advantage of the Retina series vs. MBA is they provide better cooling due to having 2 fans and also extra vents.
That makes sense and I'm assuming that's what is happening, but would the i5 being clocked a bit lower cause the CPU to work less thus generating a lesser amount of heat? (and so the fan wouldn't need to run as fast and the laptop would get less hot, etc)

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
OK, so we've had a bunch of back and forth, and I'm still trying to figure out if the i7 13" MBA is right for me.

So... What sorts of utilization would I have to say I do for you to recommend I get the i7 over the i5? $150 doesn't seem like a lot of money, especially relative to the total price of the computer and divided over the life of the computer, but I still want to make the right decision.

Does it have any effect on the battery life?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Do you do anything remotely intensive, particularly dealing with graphics? The i7 might be of help, but by that point you'd probably be better off with the 15" RMBP. The regular 13" Air with 8 gigs of RAM is more than enough for 99% of people. The 13" RMBP is a pile of poo poo because it doesn't have a dedicated graphics chip and the scaling isn't as good as you might think, so being stuck on 1280x800 is hilariously pathetic. The 11" Air is infinitely better than it, especially considering now that it has :sicknasty: battery life and the PPI is better than you'd imagine.

geera
May 20, 2003
I have a late-2008 unibody Macbook that I'd like to try and squeeze a little extra life out of by installing a SSD and new battery. I'm not sure how to go about finding the right SSD for that model and age, is there a generally recommended SSD that I can look for on Newegg or wherever?

Also is Apple the best place to get a replacement battery from, or are there decent 3rd party options that won't explode a month after installation?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The i7 has always been about 10% faster in the Air, I'd assume it's that way with Haswell. It'd be like getting the upgraced C2D model in the past - 2.53 vs 2.26 or 2.6 vs 2.4. Not a life-changing difference but if you want to spend 10% more for 10% more speed, go for it.

In the 2011 models the i7 was a much bigger boost in the 11" model than the 13" because of the lower base clock of the 11" model.

gucci void main posted:

The 13" RMBP is a pile of poo poo because it doesn't have a dedicated graphics chip and the scaling isn't as good as you might think, so being stuck on 1280x800 is hilariously pathetic. The 11" Air is infinitely better than it, especially considering now that it has :sicknasty: battery life and the PPI is better than you'd imagine.

13" rMPB is a pile of poo poo? :lol:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Bob Morales posted:

The i7 has always been about 10% faster in the Air, I'd assume it's that way with Haswell. It'd be like getting the upgraced C2D model in the past - 2.53 vs 2.26 or 2.6 vs 2.4. Not a life-changing difference but if you want to spend 10% more for 10% more speed, go for it.

In the 2011 models the i7 was a much bigger boost in the 11" model than the 13" because of the lower base clock of the 11" model.

13" rMPB is a pile of poo poo? :lol:

I fail to see why you'd go with a 13 rmbp over the 15mbp for any reason.

Having used both the better choice is the 13" air for mobility and the 15" rmbp for power.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Malcolm XML posted:

I fail to see why you'd go with a 13 rmbp over the 15mbp for any reason.
Because you don't want a 15" laptop, and don't need a quad-core?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

Really can't hurt to try. The unibody rule of thumb was (and still is?) at least 80% battery health for 1000 cycles (i.e. 5 years), so yours appears to be really falling short of that.

5 years? I'm at 219 cycles in less than a year.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

gmq posted:

5 years? I'm at 219 cycles in less than a year.
I'm at 123 in just under 2 years, but what the hey.

From http://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/notebooks.html, for what it's worth:

quote:

Your New Notebook
Your new Apple notebook features advanced battery chemistry that greatly extends the battery’s lifespan. The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity. In addition, Adaptive Charging reduces the wear and tear on the battery giving it a lifespan of up to 5 years. Be sure to fully charge your portable when you plug it in for the first time, and then run Software Update to ensure you have the latest software. Apple periodically releases updates that may improve battery performance.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Anandtech finally has the review of the 13" 2013 MBA up, although there's nothing definitive on i5 vs. i7 battery life yet, or at all, except this:

quote:

Many have asked me what the impact of the i7 will be on battery life. I'm hoping to get my hands on an i7 based machine when I return from the UK in a week, but for those of you making immediate decisions I'll offer the following. Sustained operation at higher frequencies will likely draw more power, and negatively impact battery life. Light to medium workloads will enjoy a mix of race to sleep benefits as well as higher power consumption under load. Idle power should be roughly similar between the parts however. For most workloads I'd expect a modest impact to battery life, but it won't be enough to regress to 2012 levels of battery life. All of this is said without knowing key details like operating voltage for most 4650Us. I plan on addressing that shortly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm just waiting for the AMD and anti-Apple guys to start bringing up the fact that the 2013 Air is slower than the 2011 Air in many tasks.

Their batteries are probably dead so they can't post :haw:

The medium and heavy-use scenario battery life tests from AnandTech are fantastic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I'm just waiting for the AMD and anti-Apple guys to start bringing up the fact that the 2013 Air is slower than the 2011 Air in many tasks.

Their batteries are probably dead so they can't post :haw:

The medium and heavy-use scenario battery life tests from AnandTech are fantastic.

Yeah it's slightly slowly probably as a result of dropping the clock speed but still really close in terms of real-world practical use.

I'd gladly give up a tiny amount of real performance to get a laptop that provides the same effective battery life as the Ipad:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7085/the-2013-macbook-air-review-13inch/6

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

As far as all this 28W vs 35W stuff, are there no 35W Haswell chips? Has Apple hinted that they are going to move to the 28W chips?

My thinking is that they wouldn't go with a different wattage chip because they'd have to re-configured the internal power system of the MBP, right? Or would it not be such a big deal since they're going down? Or would they have to re-do everything with a new motherboard design for Haswell anyway?

There are 37W Haswell chips, but they're quadcore with HD 4600 graphics. The 28W parts are dual-core with Iris 5100, and are a more logical path for the 13" Retina MBP since Apple wouldn't want those to have less GPU power than the Airs. The other thing of note is that the 28W chips are "ULT" just like the 15W Air chips, which brings some interesting platform level power management features. (That will only get fully taken advantage of in Mavericks.)

Different wattage wouldn't necessarily mean power supply redesign. Haswell requires complete redesign for other reasons, since its integrated voltage regulators mean there's just two supply voltages, and the main one is significantly higher voltage than before.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I just noticed that something isn't quite right with my late 2011 Air. Its battery was down to 0% this morning (which was weird enough), so I re-charged it to 100%, unplugged the adapter, and closed the lid of the Air. Now, four hours later, I opened the lid, but the computer didn't wake up. Also, it was very, very warm to the touch (even though it should have been sleeping), and it only started from the boot screen when I plugged the adapter in. The battery was down to 80%. So it somehow lost 20% of its charge, even though it was sleeping.

Apple shop, here I come.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 24, 2013

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

gucci void main posted:

The 13" RMBP is a pile of poo poo... ....being stuck on 1280x800 is hilariously pathetic.

You're not stuck, and you're incorrect about the scaling.

gucci void main posted:

The 11" Air is infinitely better than it

Oooh, you're trolling. Gotcha. Continue. :allears:

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
I'm picking up the 13" Air with an i7. I'll post my thoughts on the battery life and run some equivalent speed benchmarks to Anand's when I get it on Wednesday. From what I've heard though, it's a sizable improvement to performance, which I was hoping for. I want to use this laptop primarily for coding work on the go, but I want the ability to fire up Photoshop without it chugging too horribly. Hopefully what I read matches what the reality is!

I'm also incredibly excited to see what sort of performance the Air eeks out on Mavericks. If it hits over 12 hours of watching video, I think my head may explode from the mindfuck.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

geera posted:

I have a late-2008 unibody Macbook that I'd like to try and squeeze a little extra life out of by installing a SSD and new battery. I'm not sure how to go about finding the right SSD for that model and age, is there a generally recommended SSD that I can look for on Newegg or wherever?

Also is Apple the best place to get a replacement battery from, or are there decent 3rd party options that won't explode a month after installation?
I literally just did exactly this last week for my late 2008 unibody. It's a huge improvement and I hope to get at least another year out of the machine. Here's what I bought and it works perfectly:

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro SSD
There are some older reports online that if you try to use a SATA III drive (like the Samsung 840 Pro) in the late 2008 unibody, which only has a SATA II controller, that the drive will actually roll back to SATA I, and only give you 1.5 Gbps instead of the 3 Gbps you should expect with SATA II. (You won't get the 6 Gbps speed for SATA III, regardless of what drive you buy.) I can confirm that the Samsung 840 Pro works just fine at SATA II speeds.

Battery: Splurge and get the official Apple battery from their website or store. I looked extensively at third-party options and didn't trust what I was reading.

RAM: Also, you can upgrade to 8 GB RAM if you are still using 2 or 4 GB. The official specs don't allow it but it works fine and seems to have helped a lot. I bought this: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1066 RAM

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Yeast posted:

You're not stuck, and you're incorrect about the scaling.

Oooh, you're trolling. Gotcha. Continue. :allears:

I've used one in person. It's bad. The 15" model's scaling is bad, too, so there's no bias. The 11" has a great screen if you don't need IPS. If you need an IPS display that badly you're doing stuff that requires a 15" model.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

10-8 posted:

There are some older reports online that if you try to use a SATA III drive (like the Samsung 840 Pro) in the late 2008 unibody, which only has a SATA II controller, that the drive will actually roll back to SATA I, and only give you 1.5 Gbps instead of the 3 Gbps you should expect with SATA II.

Yeah, we went over that already here and in the SSD thread, it happens with Macs that have the nVidia MCP79 chipset, which was nearly all iMacs and laptops from late 2007 to around 2010 models.

SanDisk offers a firmware patch that fixes the bug, Intel willfully ignores (isnt going to fix) that there's even a problem since it involves a competitors chipset, OCZ has a firmware patch, Samsungs don't need anything since they're a competent vendor. (Using a Samsung 830 with zero problems and negotiates at 3 Gbps in a 2009 MacBook)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 25, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gucci void main posted:

I've used one in person. It's bad. The 15" model's scaling is bad, too, so there's no bias. The 11" has a great screen if you don't need IPS. If you need an IPS display that badly you're doing stuff that requires a 15" model.

Once again Sulk, you are wrong. I have my 13" rMBP running at 1680x1050 and it looks brilliant

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

You Am I posted:

Once again Sulk, you are wrong. I have my 13" rMBP running at 1680x1050 and it looks brilliant
I use the 1680x1050 mode on my 15" a lot since it's the same res as my monitors at work and I don't have to worry about the window positioning getting mixed up. Works a treat and looks perfectly fine.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I need a replacement battery for a 2007 13" MacBook, out of all the aftermarket batteries out there are any recommended either to get or to avoid?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thauros posted:

I need a replacement battery for a 2007 13" MacBook, out of all the aftermarket batteries out there are any recommended either to get or to avoid?

Pretty much better off going with the Apple replacement program since reputable batteries from places such as OWC are around $80-$100.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

etalian posted:

Pretty much better off going with the Apple replacement program since reputable batteries from places such as OWC are around $80-$100.

Are the 40-50 dollar batteries really that terrible? Not sure how much money I want to sink into an old computer I paid $300 for 2 years ago.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, they are that terrible, some don't even fit right, some will work okay for 1 to 3 months then lose their charge quickly, some will be pulls that already have 500 cycles on them, sometimes you get a horrible combo of all three.

I've seen people take them in to the Fruit Stand to get serviced and get outright refused.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

Just to mention I had that mac and needed a new battery. I went with the $30 amazon replacement. Didn't exactly do the trick. Go official Apple or upgrade the computer.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Thauros posted:

Are the 40-50 dollar batteries really that terrible? Not sure how much money I want to sink into an old computer I paid $300 for 2 years ago.

You can try and roll the dice but I've done it twice and ended up with complete poo poo both times.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

gucci void main posted:

The 11" has a great screen if you don't need IPS. If you need an IPS display that badly you're doing stuff that requires a 15" model.

Because only power users who need desktop replacement level CPU and GPU power could possibly want their display to do better than 6bpc color, not suffer from horrible viewing angle color and contrast shifts, and have "Retina" resolution for ultra crisp text. Got it. Glad you cleared that up for everyone. You are absolutely correct, there is no point to the 13" rMBP whatsoever and Apple's product designers should resign in shame.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

You Am I posted:

I think everyone can accept the screen looks good, it's not that, it's the fact that the GPU isn't up the the task of scaling the high res screen. The 13" rMBP I used had sluggish scrolling in safari, and it was worse at the higher scaled resolutions.

It's the only Macbook I wouldn't recommend, at least till after they bring out the Haswell one.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

wooger posted:

The 13" rMBP I used had sluggish scrolling in safari, and it was worse at the higher scaled resolutions.

Fixed in Mavericks.

(I own and use a 13" rMBP).

geera
May 20, 2003

10-8 posted:

I literally just did exactly this last week for my late 2008 unibody. It's a huge improvement and I hope to get at least another year out of the machine. Here's what I bought and it works perfectly:

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro SSD
There are some older reports online that if you try to use a SATA III drive (like the Samsung 840 Pro) in the late 2008 unibody, which only has a SATA II controller, that the drive will actually roll back to SATA I, and only give you 1.5 Gbps instead of the 3 Gbps you should expect with SATA II. (You won't get the 6 Gbps speed for SATA III, regardless of what drive you buy.) I can confirm that the Samsung 840 Pro works just fine at SATA II speeds.

Battery: Splurge and get the official Apple battery from their website or store. I looked extensively at third-party options and didn't trust what I was reading.

RAM: Also, you can upgrade to 8 GB RAM if you are still using 2 or 4 GB. The official specs don't allow it but it works fine and seems to have helped a lot. I bought this: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1066 RAM
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"
Quick question, I hope this hasn't been answered already. I have a rMBP 13" late 2012 model and would like to connect two screens to it. I already have one HDMI > DVI cable that I'm using for one screen, will the MiniDP > DVI cable drive the other one as well? I'm concerned that using two different output methods will cause it to not work for some reason, call it paranoia. Thanks in advance.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
It seems like the consensus is that extended AppleCare is worth getting for MacBooks. Obviously the fact that newer models have very few serviceable parts is a good argument in favor, but I'm curious-- are there certain "typical" problems that may be expected to crop up after a year? In my experience with even cheap-rear end PC laptops the only things I've ever seen go bad after extended use have been hard drives, batteries, and power jacks. The power jack shouldn't be an issue with MagSafe, normal battery wear isn't covered by AppleCare anyway, and the "hard drive"/SSD is still user-replaceable. If I'm comfortable with buying a fancy screwdriver to swap out an SSD at some point in the future, is it still worth it to buy AppleCare?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yes. In three years, just about anything could happen, and it's very nice knowing you can just take your laptop into the nearest Apple store and drop it off to get it fixed without having to pay anything. I think there have even been a few anecdotes in here about machines breaking so bad the only thing the techs could do was replace it, all free under AppleCare.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

It seems like the consensus is that extended AppleCare is worth getting for MacBooks. Obviously the fact that newer models have very few serviceable parts is a good argument in favor, but I'm curious-- are there certain "typical" problems that may be expected to crop up after a year? In my experience with even cheap-rear end PC laptops the only things I've ever seen go bad after extended use have been hard drives, batteries, and power jacks. The power jack shouldn't be an issue with MagSafe, normal battery wear isn't covered by AppleCare anyway, and the "hard drive"/SSD is still user-replaceable. If I'm comfortable with buying a fancy screwdriver to swap out an SSD at some point in the future, is it still worth it to buy AppleCare?

I don't think there's usually any "typical" problems, although sometimes first gen apple systems get stupid, and it's nice to have 3 years to deal with weird poo poo that pops up.

That said, I've only ever gotten anything out of extended applecare once. You're basically just covering yourself if anything of significance (logic board, screen) dies during that 3 years. It does include power adapters and such and they've always been pretty liberal about replacing them even for just normal wear and tear for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeast posted:

I own and love the entry level 13" rMBP.

Only niggle is the 128Gb Flash. With more than basic apps, and some content, it fills awfully quickly. If you're mainly cloud based (spotify, netflix etc) it shouldn't be a big issue, but something to be aware of.

I don't tend to accumulate a lot of crap (I'm neurotic about deleting stuff), and I mostly do use Netflix and other cloud-y stuff, and Youtube if I want music. I'm not worried about the storage size.

flavor posted:

You're setting yourself up for a lot of hand-wavy comments and anecdotes about what's supposedly enough for everybody and the like. Good thing you certainly won't upgrade the graphics card because there's no card in there to upgrade and you can't upgrade the GPU and the CPU that it's a part of either. It sounds a little bit like you haven't even hit up the Apple site or Wikipedia and are expecting enlightenment from this thread based on scant information you're giving.

Whether or not the inability to upgrade the rMBP is a big deal depends on your usage and how long you're planning to keep the thing, one of which we know very little and the other we know nothing of. Extrapolating into the future I'd certainly consider 8 GB somewhat confining in my main computer 2-3 years from now.

I'd say this: CPU needs depend on what you need to do with Photoshop and your performance expectations, memory needs depend on what you want to do simultaneously, and SSD needs on what "your stuff" is.

Also maybe if you have an Apple Store nearby, try it out.

I have most certainly been to the Apple store and checked out the Retina, specswise and hands-on, everything. I did anticipate the handwavy comments and specifically brought up points to address them. The reason I ask is to understand whether the Retina version is worth the extra $400, which is really my biggest concern, and other people's experiences with the rMBP are a good way to figure that out.

I'm not doing graphic design as a career or huge interest, but I have typical internetty uses for Photoshop from time to time and I'd like to actually be able to run it, although most everything CAN run it today, so... Anyway, I don't have an interest in strong computer gaming anymore, at most just some indie stuff that would only run on Boot Camp Windows anyway. Frankly, gaming and graphics design and stuff isn't a big concern for me at all, it just depends on whether I can fuckin' run Photoshop or something and most computers these days can do that.

Typing that all out and considering it, I guess I may go for the non-Retina after all. The display would be nice, but I don't really need it, and the computer is somewhat costly already.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Typing that all out and considering it, I guess I may go for the non-Retina after all. The display would be nice, but I don't really need it, and the computer is somewhat costly already.

If you only occasionally need the benefits a high quality display would give you, it would serve you better to spend $250-400 on a Dell IPS. You'll get a lot more screen real estate (especially if it's a 16:10) and a second display to take advantage of if you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Blaminator posted:

Quick question, I hope this hasn't been answered already. I have a rMBP 13" late 2012 model and would like to connect two screens to it. I already have one HDMI > DVI cable that I'm using for one screen, will the MiniDP > DVI cable drive the other one as well? I'm concerned that using two different output methods will cause it to not work for some reason, call it paranoia. Thanks in advance.

Of course it will work