Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

I'm skeptical that no one else ever had the notion of replacing the paws with hooves. The vector image is not a copy of the Stephen House lamp, so the artist had to have a source somewhere. It's possible that while Stephen had them custom designed, the fabricator may have made and sold others based on the design afterward.

I can't figure out how to contact the uploader but maybe the site can help with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
It was my birthday today, so no movement this weekend on Charleston Cask 2. :) Just lots of fun.

I did have an idea a while back that Preiss, not being an expert on each city where he buried a cask, would have likely bought whatever was the popular tourist guide. In that spirit I found and ordered a copy of "The Battery" by Warren Ripley, a booklet first published in 1974 which was the bestselling guide to White Point Gardens from that time to about 1985. Sadly, I didn't find a lot to make me think that Preiss read and got his clues from it, so I guess that was a wash.

But there was this! (and no, I don't think it means anything, it's just interesting how much you will find when you are looking for it, confirmation bias et al.) The Edwina sat off High Battery for almost a month until a plank road was laid out across the mud to her and carts offloaded her. Later it took a team of eighteen horses to drag her back to enough water to float.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 24, 2013

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Coming into this late so sorry if this has been posted. In the Roanoke island puzzle, could the mace thingy on the armor's wrist be Fort Raleigh. It's an 8 pointed star fort and is right next to Elizabethan Gardens.

edit: looking at better pictures it doesn't match at all.

Bolkovr fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 24, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm waiting on an email from an instructor at OCADU where I am a student. He wrote a book on Tutin Thomas and its possible he has information on the lamp.

NM, he returned my email and he wrote about his father.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

I'm skeptical that no one else ever had the notion of replacing the paws with hooves. The vector image is not a copy of the Stephen House lamp, so the artist had to have a source somewhere. It's possible that while Stephen had them custom designed, the fabricator may have made and sold others based on the design afterward.

I don't have a link, but I came across something when I was researching that indicated that paw vs. hoof or claw or whatever was just a style choice and that was something that changed over time. So maybe if the house was built a little earlier or later it would have had a lion paw instead, and we know of at least one other example of that. It seems strange to think that those were once the height of fashion, but there it is. Crazy Victorians.

Merlot Brougham posted:

Montreal
The coordinates of Montreal have been pointed out in the image, but some people seem to disagree. I am firmly in the Montreal camp.

Also, the Boer War monument in Dorchester Square for the Netherlands connection.

Yeah, I'm pretty sold on the Dominion Square/Dorchester/Place du Canada angle, too. And Verse 7 just seems to flow so easily there. It could just be confirmation bias, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I can't figure out how to contact the uploader but maybe the site can help with that?

My sister is a history professor at an Ivy League school (and happens to specialize in the Italian Renaissance), so I shot her an email to see if she recognizes anything about it. She spends a lot of time in Italy, and seems to know something about almost anything that ever happened there, and all the influences on it back to the Romans.

I'll see what she has to say.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
I've posted before mostly bemoaning the likely shattered state of the casks, and another thought occurred to me: the worms! They crawl in, they crawl out; play pinochle on your snout (dumb song...worms don't crawl or are known to possess copies of Hoyle's Rules of Games).
I guess that awaits us all, o boy (having to read about card games).

My main lament is that special moment Preiss would have wanted for a finder to have: that special treasure-digger moment when a shovel, spade, or rod-probe would tap on an intact buried box, with a delicious box-like thunk... that's gone. Getting permission ain't gonna happen without something tantalizing as that. Even ground sounding images are about as clear as the mandatory ultrasounds that women must undergo in my state concerning their reproductive rights. But I digress.

Perhaps scout the area for blinged-out worms?

:edit something/that too

Subliminal Sauce fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 24, 2013

Typh
Apr 18, 2003

LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!

I've contacted the artist. Will post when/if I get a reply.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Houston
I also think his final location sounds legit, however we are probably gonna have to call a GPR crew out to his proposed location before anyone gets a digging permit. I am going to try to get a price quote on that as soon as I can.

If you are contracting a company to do this for you, I think you should have some expectations of cost. If your contractor isn't responsible for a report, permits, or any insurance requirements; if they're local & don't have anything better to do, expect a $150/hr ballpark. Anyone busy is going to charge a half-day minimum. If you're a good salesman maybe you can talk them into doing it for free as a marketing item, but I doubt it.

Not trying to be a jerk, but if someone called me and said they were looking for a treasure and wanted a "GPR scan" I'd require cash up front and really drive home how limited this can be - it isn't a silver bullet. I've done this looking for a county courthouse's lost time capsules, Cortez's gold and Japanese caches in the Philippines. "Treasure hunts" we always groan about and get paid in advance. Good luck, just wanted to warn you ahead of time.

You can rent the gear for a few hundred bucks a day, if you know how to use it and have some insurance or will sign a lease contract and offer a deposit.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Nesetril posted:

So, at least two people said they were going to Harvard on Friday and there haven't been any updates... I'm desperate to know, did you guys find anything?

xie may be a bit surprised since I spent most of our time together shooting down this idea, but the more that I think about it the more that it has to recommend it. There certainly ARE a lot of things around the Common that fit both picture 11 and verse 3. I think that if there were one or two more things that we could piece together I would be more sure that we even have the right city.

Here are my thoughts. The two most Boston clues are the Xenophon/Thucydides and the 18 day 12th hour quote. Her left side hair also has what appears to be wharves and looking through all the major port cities in the US and Canada for anything that is an exact match (or even a better match) finds nothing in 2013. It seems that this may be a port city from this. 42 latitude can be seen on her left armband and the top of her right panel can be made into a 71, giving long/lat though obviously not a slam dunk.

Verse 3

I cannot fit the five steps in. I cannot figure out the green tower of lights. The Coliseum could be the Harvard Coliseum with its metal fence along North Harvard Street. The middle section could be the Dawes Island/Cambridge Common which is between major streets. Waterhouse is the street on the north of the Commons which could fit with face the water and feel at home. There is also a baseball diamond which could be "feel at home." There are a lot of steps around so that's not helpful but there's a lot of choices. The 18th day 12th hour could just mean the Revere quote or could be related to Longfellow himself - a relative designed a gate a Harvard and his "letters" are stored at the Houghton library a short distance away. Likewise, there is a large sign (Sheraton Commander) that could be "all the letters" related. The Common/island is across the street from the first Universalist Unitarian church with the lamp as its logo. This is all right across the street from a Harvard gate with John 8:38 and the baseball diamond is right next to a Washington memorial (the exact "in truth, be free" was in a writing dedicated to him). Lincoln also has a monument so he is another truth contender.

Image 11

I think that if I had one more fit I would be happier here. There is the "4" in similar font to the east bordering the park. There is a similar set of towers on top of the Entworth Methodist Church on the northeast corner. The design on the fairy wings is common but shows up several places around the area (on the Unitarian Church and on the street lamps). The checkerboard motif and the striped arch show up on lots of architecture. There are some suggestions in the picture but no other exact matches. The light area on her right sleeve could be home plate. The wing of the hawk could be the shape of the Dawes Island.

I would like to think that several aspects of the painting have meaning. The 112(2). The hawk. The oculus. The globes. The design on her dress. The bubbles. Maybe with this information someone else can match something in the area.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

lots to think about

So, the logo of the Unitarian church is a lamp. I believe that hasn't been discovered before. However, I can see what you mean about a general lack of certainty in the clues. They are not leading up to a precise digging spot. If we assume that we are in the right location (CC), then I am seeing two possibilities here: 1) there is another layer to the puzzle that calls out a more specific location (e.g., acrostic) or 2) BP decided to crank up the difficulty of this puzzle to insane levels.

I am not so sure about matching those bubbles, though. There are bubbles in C3-Roanoke, faint spheres in C1-SF, and droplets in C12-NYC. So far, those elements have been the hardest to explain. So, it's possible that at least some of them are just artistic additions (or deliberate red herrings).

The stone spheres we kind of get from the entry gate into CC (from the south).

Also, I don't know how we can account for 30 years of stuff happening in the park. For example, imagine there was a Ferris wheel in CC in 1981. A wheel rotates like a globe, so that could correspond to the globe in our image (sphere + metal frame). And then maybe you could ride the wheel, see another set of letters (not visible from the ground) and those letters would actually correspond to some kind of a message regarding the final step for digging. This is just a mental exercise, of course.

Edit: Just had another idea. There are these references to "12th hour" and lamplight and the image is kind of dusky, aren't we supposed to look for the clues at night?

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 24, 2013

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
I was driving home from work the other day, going an alternate route home due to road repairs. I was really taken back with how much things have changed in the twenty plus years or so I've lived in this town. It made me think of all that's changed dramatically and entire areas that have come and gone. Then i thought about this thread and if it was even a little likely that any more of these will ever be found due to changes over time alone. Takes a tough puzzle and turns it into nightmare mode really.

Keep up the good fight goons.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
You have to wonder if any more of these would've been found if Preiss had matched up the verses to the pictures instead of letting the reader figure out which ones matched.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BOSTON
I can't stop seeing the 112 as a 42* once I started considering the light source as being behind the woman as it kinda clearly is. It only looks like a 112 if you think of the 'negative' light source coming from the top right, but if the light is coming from the bottom leftish it could just be a 4 with disconnected ascenders instead of connected ones like the bracelet. The dark areas would be the ridges of high points casting shadows instead of the plain overlapping relief areas giving simple contrast. That would make the 42 a blatant long/lat since it has the obvious degree mark to the top right. If the 112 is a 42, that would also leave the bracelet figures open to suggesting something else entirely. Just a thought.

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*

I walked all through the Boston Public Library, Copley Square, Commonwealth Avenue Mall, Public Gardens, and Boston Commons. Nothing really stood out. I took a few pictures but nothing really matches. So much detail on all the buildings that some are bound to be similar but no perfect matches. I did find legeaters on lamps all through the Public library entrance though they are not as well matched as the "Montreal" one. Just shows that it may have been a common thing at some point and that calls into question whether the one in Montreal is one of a kind.

I walked all around the library and Xenophon/Thucydides are only on the front.

I have been toying with the idea that, if the verse is matched to Boston, steps might mean "stops" on the green line (a stretch with the green light and metal walls) which would take you to Haymarket north/east and one of many points south/west. Haymarket is near the North End where the Italians are but I think that this line of thinking is not the right way to go. I like what has been done with "New York" recently in this thread and it might be nice to do with other pictures.

Deteriorata posted:

A little insight on the "legeater" street lamp in Montreal. After reading about the Stephen house being of Italianate design, I figured that the architect must have imported or copied Italian designs of the day. Seems I was right.

If you GIS for "Italian forged iron elegant street lamps" you get a gazillion hits with this design:
Zooming in on the base:

There's our "legeater" as a freaking downloadable internet vector image. It is that iconic.

A GIS for "Antique Florence street lamp" produced this:

That sure looks like our "legeater" live and in person.

I'm concluding that the legeater lamp is likely a red herring. It's a fancy Italian design for a street lamp, but certainly not unique. I have no idea how many remain in North America, or (more importantly) how many existed in 1980. I'm certain that's the design Preiss had in mind, but there is no guarantee he meant the one in Montreal, or if he even knew it existed.

This is not the whole story, but I think the theory that the lamp is a unique identifier for Montreal is in peril. A whole lot more research needs to be done to sort out what's going on with this.

Awesome work, guys. Strike a blow for rationality.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charleston, SC

This is one I haven't been working on, but noticed while I was leafing through the images. I went through about half the thread and didn't see this mentioned so I thought I would toss it out as an idea.

The lion in the image dominates, suggesting it's important. The first thing I noticed was the yellow bands under his eyes - I though they looked like beaches.

A little Googling, and sure enough there's a Lions Beach on Lake Moultrie just north of Charleston. It's even in two parts, with a recreation building in between.

Not being a resident of SC, I can't check it out so it may amount to nothing. It seemed like too big of a coincidence to ignore, though.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
Didn't the artist/author specifically say there's treasure in Canada? Even though we've discovered it's possible for another legeater to possibly exist elsewhere, it still seems like a stretch to assume that it's not in Montreal. Besides, it's not like we're locked on concrete locations with any of the other clues. Some good leads, but nothing groundbreaking (ha). I still believe it's in Montreal personally.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Boston
Look at it this way: if anything in the image can provide the final step for the digging location instead of just another vague clue, it's the oculus, because it has those markings on it and there is the star in the middle. And we have three circular objects in CC: 1) dome of the Christ church, 2) area around the Civil War memorial, and 3) area with the cannons. The cannons look somewhat more promising than the others, because of the way the circular area blends into the nearby path. It really does look like the shadow under the woman's chin (but "polaroid to painting pipeline", etc.; can we start abbreviating this as PPP?)

This sequence doesn't sound insane:

face the water / home => Waterhouse St.
see letters => Sheraton Commander -> Washington took command -> Washington memorial
four more lines, narrowing down the location on the way south from the cannon area

If the above doesn't work out, a very distant second for playing the role of the final clue is the bird. The weathervane on the First church is a bird with a leg raised. I am surprised no one has commented on this yet.

And someone really should check out the area after dark to see if any of the buildings are illuminated in an interesting way.

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 24, 2013

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Deteriorata posted:

Charleston, SC

The lion in the image dominates, suggesting it's important. The first thing I noticed was the yellow bands under his eyes - I though they looked like beaches.

All lions have those bands under their eyes. I can't image there is anything important about them.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I like what has been done with "New York" recently in this thread and it might be nice to do with other pictures.
A couple of people have mentioned that they liked the breakdown, I can start chopping images into discrete elements and doing basic summaries, but I'll need some help collecting all of the ideas people have had. New York was easy because it's apparently much simpler than some of the others.

edit: I've also been cutting out components Cask 12 and running them through Google's Search By Image. No luck so far, but they could be helpful as overlays or side-by-side comparisons without the context of the rest of the picture. Does anyone else want cutouts?

Cask 12 examples:

Just the shape and approximate colors of the window to see if anything particularly similar came up.

I can do a PSD of each picture with each element as its own layer and a PNG with a transparent background for each component, but it takes a fair amount of time so I won't bother unless people want them.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 24, 2013

Nitocris
Apr 18, 2007
Houston

Quite a few different theories have been expressed regarding this pole and what has been agreed upon as representing the North Star. The best match I've found so far has been this:

As soon as I saw the rod through the centre of the sphere I saw the visual similarity. I decided to do a little more googling which lead me to this description: "This fine 72-inch armillary sphere has one large vertical ring representing the meridian of Houston. Attached to the inside of this ring is a wide band dedicated with the signs of the zodiac and representing the celestial equator. Slanting up through the middle is a rod with a ball at its upper end representing the Earth's axis. The Armillary Sphere is so designed that this central rod points toward the north pole of the heavens, very close to the North Star."

The Rod in our picture is pointing towards the heavens and very close to the North Star.

This monument was erected in 1977 in Sam Houston Park (est 1900, the oldest park in Houston) which is less than one block away from Hermann Square (which is not the same place as Hermann Park), two blocks away from Tranquility park (where the four staggered columns seem to be from) and directly across the road from the Houston Public Library which has also been mentioned as a possible connection to this case.

I'm not saying that the cask is necessarily in this particular park, just that the visual match seems glaringly obvious to me (with the rod with a ball on the end pointing to the north star) and it could be an important step in the path.

Nitocris fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 24, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 2

I think the key to this image is in the Sumter shaped military ID tag. Such tags typically held the soldiers first and last name, and address. Sumter identifies with the Civil War era, at which time dog tags weren't standardized, although soldiers found their own way to mark their person by holding a letter or engraving their belt buckle. (Correct me if I'm wrong, modern tags come in pairs and have service numbers, blood type and religious affiliation.) This is really a biased assessment since I'm already siting on a theory that some clues are about succession. The name Edwina is named after Edwin is one example of passing a name on, like military I'd tags, used to track the record of a soldiers name, in order to find their next of kin. There seems something to this connection as it connects both visual and verse clues.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 24, 2013

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Houston
This is all really exciting, although I am a little scared I might be running low on money to spend on it.

Maybe a local school with a GPR might be willing to do a scan for us.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Nitocris posted:

I'm not saying that the cask is necessarily in this particular park, just that the visual match seems glaringly obvious to me (with the rod with a ball on the end pointing to the north star) and it could be an important step in the path.

That seems pretty obvious to me, too, great catch.

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012
Sorry for not posting images yesterday, my computer charger chord broke and I had to get a new one. As soon as I get back from visiting a friend of mine in the hospital I shall post them. After looking at the images, im retracting my previous statement that I no longer think CASK 2 could be at Ft. Sumter. If it is there, I think I might know where we should dig.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
It's kinda weird that Priess would put something so iconic to the Dallas skyline into a map of Houston.

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012

Here's a few before I leave. This is the outside of Fort Sumter as you are walking up the dock to the main entrance. As you can see from the image most of the fort, except the west side, is surrounded by huge granite boulders (the island itself was man made by dropping thousands of these things into the water).

If CASK 2 is going to be anywhere, it's going to be somewhere where there is grass growing. All of the other exposed sections of the fort are made of a combination of sand, gravel, and old sea shells. I highly doubt anyone would be able to dig three feet down through that stuff.

Here's a picture of what some of the exposed earth looks like at Fort Sumter that isn't cover in grass. Pretty rough looking stuff and it does not seem like it drains very well, probably very tough to dig through.

I have about 20 more images that I will post and discuss in a few hours.

McIneri fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 24, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Nitocris posted:

This monument was erected in 1977 in Sam Houston Park (est 1900, the oldest park in Houston) which is less than one block away from Hermann Square (which is not the same place as Hermann Park), two blocks away from Tranquility park (where the four staggered columns seem to be from) and directly across the road from the Houston Public Library which has also been mentioned as a possible connection to this case.

I'm more and more convinced that Hermann Park is the wrong location completely. I keep working on this, and I don't think I'll have a complete theory until I can get down to Houston in person -- hopefully, sometime this week.

Here's what I'm thinking. In 1982, the space program was big in Houston. Hard to remember today, but at that time if you thought of Houston, it was either oil or rockets. If you were in Houston, you were doing something with oil or rockets. Space was the new hotness, and that can be seen in the names of sports teams (Rockets, Astros) and in the names of attractions (Astrodome, AstroWorld), among other things like Tranquility Park. I feel like we're focused on Hermann Park mainly because of the 982 -- which is really just a number and might mean the locomotive or could easily be something else entirely. We've spent so much time fruitless time there that I think it's time to consider other locations.

Tranquility Park isn't that well known, but it is a park that's often photographed because the columns are so different and distinctive. It would have been new in 1982 and would have been dramatic and a focal point downtown. It is also right next to Sam Houston Park, which feeds into Memorial Park, one of the largest urban parks anywhere. It represents a very ideal place to hide a cask, though I don't think it's as far away as Memorial Park. I think the poles under the Rhino and Camel look very much like the pillars in Tranquility Park and that's the only major monument I can find that looks like that. I also think the park when seen from a distance looks very similar to the poles in the background of the image. I can't find the Djinn yet, but I'm also wondering if he's supposed to be a rocket -- but that's a reach, I know.

"Cold as glass" is found in Ayn Rand's Anthem. It's not even long enough to be a novella, so I've read through it a few times. The line in question is where our protagonist finds an abandoned subway line near the arts theatre where everyone gathers at night for cultural education. This starts his journey out of the city, through the forbidden forest, and to the abandoned home he discovers and makes into his fortress. I think this is important because Preiss made a comment on the Houston cask that was essentially -- "after 22 years, all I can say is I". In the world of Anthem, saying the word I is punishable by death -- the protagonist never even knows the word until he finds the abandoned home outside the city. I think he was trying to direct us to this novel and I think it's key for figuring out the Houston cask. Also, Rush's 2112 came out in 1976 and directly references Anthem, so it's very possible that this book could have been on Preiss's mind in 1982 -- he might have even recently read or re-read it at that time.

Now, there is no subway in Houston. But there is the Houston Underground Tunnel System, which is something even a lot of Houstonians don't know about. One of the tunnels happens to exit right in Tranquility Park. You could easily discover this "subway tunnel" there. If you didn't look closely, you might even assume it was a subway -- Preiss could have easily made a mistake. Now, when our hero in Anthem finds the subway, not only is it near the theatre, there is a ravine behind it, and then beyond that, the Forbidden Forest.

On the map, the pin marked A is Tranquility Park and the entrance to the Houston Underground. Across the street is the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts -- a theatre. Now, it's newer than 1982, but it replaced an existing theatre venue. Behind it -- a ravine. Across the ravine is a "forest", which is part of Sam Houston park. Walking through this "Forbidden Wood" takes you under I-45 and out of downtown proper -- out of the city. I think the line "no lion fears" refers to this, because in the book, no one goes into the Forest for fear that they will be torn apart and devoured by fierce beasts. These beasts actually exist and threaten the hero of Anthem, but at the time he is preoccupied with other things and does not fear them and continues on his quest. It would not be hard to stand in Tranquility Park and imagine the primary setting of Anthem.

I think I'll need to be in the park to link the rest of the lines and the visuals, but I think this is a path worth investigating.

einTier fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 24, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

McIneri posted:

If CASK 2 is going to be anywhere, it's going to be somewhere where there is grass growing. All of the other exposed sections of the fort are made of a combination of sand, gravel, and old sea shells. I highly doubt anyone would be able to dig three feet down through that stuff.
This is kind of interesting. I live in an area that's built on a limestone shelf. Despite the presence of grass, it is nearly impossible to bury anything here because once you get more than a foot down, you start hitting limestone. Even before then, you're hitting very large rocks that make it extremely hard to dig. Digging anything more than a small garden in some parts of town usually requires heavy machinery and sometimes dynamite. I suspect Ft. Sumter might be the same way -- once you dig anywhere, you start hitting the granite that built the island.

I don't know what that means for the Sumter cask. I would, however, ask the park ranger -- I linked to the one who recently retired and probably knows better than anyone -- about the cask. If he buried it here in 1982, he probably had to ask permission, and whoever he asked permission from is probably aware of the quest and the location of the cask. It's worth asking around about.

Also, what is that big black thing in the middle of Fort Sumter and when was it built? It looks like it's some kind of museum piece, but if it was built after 1982, it could easily have been built over the cask -- if it's buried there at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I really doubt it's at Fort Sumter itself if only because getting out to the fort outside of daylight hours is really difficult and it seems Preiss generally buried the casques covertly.

At this point the White Point Gardens theories have a lot of merit and I think there's still some decent arguments for Fort Moultrie also.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

einTier posted:

I think I'll need to be in the park to link the rest of the lines and the visuals, but I think this is a path worth investigating.
I'm still not 100% convinced on the Anthem connection, but it certainly looks like you're on the right track.

einTier posted:

Also, what is that big black thing in the middle of Fort Sumter and when was it built? It looks like it's some kind of museum piece, but if it was built after 1982, it could easily have been built over the cask -- if it's buried there at all.
Battery Issac Huger - built 1898.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013
Cask 2

I think I have found some links to verse 3

"You'll see an arc of lights"

Reviewing a map from the 80s, I noticed that there are lights marked on the map along the coast.
Perhaps a native could confirm if they are still there at night.

A wingless bird ascended
Born of ancient dreams of flight

Under the bridge and highway I think are outlined in Image 2 (see my previous cask 2 post)
there is a state park with a Vietnam helicopter(wingless bird) museum(ancient dreams). I think the star from the image matches this. I verified the museum and park were still there in the 80s.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

rookhunter posted:

Cask 2

I think I have found some links to verse 3

"You'll see an arc of lights"

Reviewing a map from the 80s, I noticed that there are lights marked on the map along the coast.
Perhaps a native could confirm if they are still there at night.

Those are lighted navigation and marker buoys in the harbor and Cooper River. I couldn't tell you if that exact configuration is still there, but the buoys are, I pass them in my sailboat every time I go out to the harbor. I'm not sure how visible they would be from the bridge or from shore, though.

NOAA publishes detailed charts of all of the major US harbors, and you can access them online for free. The one for Charleston Harbor and approaches, showing the latest position of all marker buoys, is here: http://www.oceangrafix.com/chart/zoom?chart=11524 . If you're not familiar with reading nautical charts, they also offer a free legend and key to interpreting the symbols: http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/chartno1.htm

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 24, 2013

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012

einTier posted:

This is kind of interesting. I live in an area that's built on a limestone shelf. Despite the presence of grass, it is nearly impossible to bury anything here because once you get more than a foot down, you start hitting limestone. Even before then, you're hitting very large rocks that make it extremely hard to dig. Digging anything more than a small garden in some parts of town usually requires heavy machinery and sometimes dynamite. I suspect Ft. Sumter might be the same way -- once you dig anywhere, you start hitting the granite that built the island.

I don't know what that means for the Sumter cask. I would, however, ask the park ranger -- I linked to the one who recently retired and probably knows better than anyone -- about the cask. If he buried it here in 1982, he probably had to ask permission, and whoever he asked permission from is probably aware of the quest and the location of the cask. It's worth asking around about.

The black thing was built during WW2 so we are ok there. It's part of the modernization efforts they made to our coastal defenses at the time. There are black things like that dotting the coast all over the Charleston area. From what I understand, and this is according the the rangers I work with on Sumter, there should be at least 7 feet of actual dirt/sand in certain areas of the fort. Areas where grass is growing seem to be likely. As Sumter is a man made island, I think the rangers told me it's 35-50 ft of granite rock, depending on the depth at certain areas, then a bunch of sand/soil/seashells. From what I was told, when they were excavating Sumter back in the 1950's, half of the fort was buried in sand and they actually found most of the cannons at that time that are currently on the island. I'm not going to give first names, but one of the head rangers at the park told me there should be at least 5-7 feet of dirt in certain central areas of the island, especially along the west wall because there is actually a natural sand bar that is exposed during low tide on that side. Now, I'm not personally a huge proponent of the idea that CASK 2 is buried on Fort Sumter, but if it is, I'm pretty sure it can only be in a few places. And honesty, I think it would help out a lot if we could eliminate potential places where these things could be, especially considering that there are 5 or 6 potential places in Charleston that have been discussed here on this thread.

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012

bonestructure posted:

Those are lighted navigation and marker buoys in the harbor and Cooper River. I couldn't tell you if that exact configuration is still there, but the buoys are, I pass them in my sailboat every time I go out to the harbor. I'm not sure how visible they would be from the bridge or from shore, though.

NOAA publishes detailed charts of all of the major US harbors, and you can access them online for free. The one for Charleston Harbor and approaches, showing the latest position of all marker buoys, is here: http://www.oceangrafix.com/chart/zoom?chart=11521 . If you're not familiar with reading nautical charts, they also offer a free legend and key to interpreting the symbols.

Have there been any thoughts on the Arc of light being the light from one of the lighthouses in the area? Such as the Sullivan's island one? I was looking back in the thread but wasn't able to find many references to that line.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

McIneri posted:

Have there been any thoughts on the Arc of light being the light from one of the lighthouses in the area? Such as the Sullivan's island one? I was looking back in the thread but wasn't able to find many references to that line.

Urban Smurf has an entire theory built around lighthouses that I'm sure he'd be happy to share. :)

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

GWBBQ posted:

I'm still not 100% convinced on the Anthem connection, but it certainly looks like you're on the right track.

Battery Issac Huger - built 1898.

I'm not 100% sold on it myself. Every time I look over the Hermann Park solution, I am drawn to that damned 982 locomotive and I love the "small of scale, step across" referring to the miniature trains. I can't tell you how much those things call to me.

...and yet, nothing else really seems to fit. Sure, the rhino and camel could refer to the zoo, but if so, why are they different? Why does nothing else in the image fit anywhere in Hermann Park without some serious mental gymnastics? Seriously, in every image that's been solved so far, there's always been very relevant imagery that shows you exactly where the cask is and some very important landmarks to get you in the general vicinity. If the 982 is so goddamn important, where is it in the image? Where are the columns? What's with the columns in the background? Where's the Djinn? The water/smoke/whatever under him?

There's not much in the image, but we can't even seem to definitively match anything there. Long parts of the verse go unmatched. I also think that originally Preiss was helping wilhouse out -- "don't dig there" -- but wilhouse was so stuck on Hermann Park and the Children's Zoo in particular, I don't think he could have been deterred unless Preiss said outright "you will not find it in the zoo or Hermann Park". I still think that his last comments about the dig in the CZ not being a waste but no guarantees about what would be found were a subtle hope that he would finally give up the fool's errand of the park and zoo and look elsewhere -- "all I can say is I". Wilhouse never did figure out what that meant and eventually discarded it even though Preiss apparently thought it was a pretty strong push and important enough to state despite the fact he'd never given such overt hints for other casks.

I've also got some weak theories about it being at Johnson Space Center, but I really can't substantiate them at this time and I'm aware I may just be reaching because I've been looking at space stuff so much in relation to Tranquility Park.

McIneri posted:

The black thing was built during WW2 so we are ok there. It's part of the modernization efforts they made to our coastal defenses at the time. There are black things like that dotting the coast all over the Charleston area. From what I understand, and this is according the the rangers I work with on Sumter, there should be at least 7 feet of actual dirt/sand in certain areas of the fort. Areas where grass is growing seem to be likely. As Sumter is a man made island, I think the rangers told me it's 35-50 ft of granite rock, depending on the depth at certain areas, then a bunch of sand/soil/seashells. From what I was told, when they were excavating Sumter back in the 1950's, half of the fort was buried in sand and they actually found most of the cannons at that time that are currently on the island. I'm not going to give first names, but one of the head rangers at the park told me there should be at least 5-7 feet of dirt in certain central areas of the island, especially along the west wall because there is actually a natural sand bar that is exposed during low tide on that side. Now, I'm not personally a huge proponent of the idea that CASK 2 is buried on Fort Sumter, but if it is, I'm pretty sure it can only be in a few places. And honesty, I think it would help out a lot if we could eliminate potential places where these things could be, especially considering that there are 5 or 6 potential places in Charleston that have been discussed here on this thread.
I refer back to what I said about Charleston earlier:

If he buried it at Ft. Sumter, it would stand to reason that you'd really want to go asking for permission before you went digging for something buried in a National Park where you're likely to be discovered. It seems that all other prospective sites would be accessible under cover of darkness -- but not this one. It would also stand to reason that he might have asked for permission to dig from the Superintendent in 1981 -- who would also be likely to grant permission ("make sure they come ask for permission before they dig it up, ok?") and would know the basic location of the cask. Has anyone asked that guy about it?

It looks like this guy is who we should ask: John Tucker retires -- 2005.

quote:

chief ranger at Fort Sumter National Monument (which includes Fort Moultrie) from October 1977 to November 1980.

John returned to Fort Sumter as the superintendent in August 1989

I think if someone can find a way to get in touch with John Tucker, he might have a fair idea where our Charleston cask might be buried or he might be able to tell us who was there from 1980-1989 and how to contact him. It's worth a shot.

einTier fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 24, 2013

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

McIneri posted:

I have considered it but light houses dont really make an arc of light.
As for the light house theory I do think there is some merit.
"Citadel in the night" must refer to this.

Typh
Apr 18, 2003

LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!
Cask 9 - THE LEGEATER IS NOT UNIQUE
Confirmed via the vector artist that copies of the lamp base exist in Palermo, Sicily.

These things could be everywhere.

Typh fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That's awesome work.