Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I was meaning to get new tyres tomorrow so I blitzed the rears last night. This morning the wife-beast tells me the tyre money was in fact power-bill money that's already been paid.

Now I'm going to swap on my spare five year old 'Kenda' tyres on the rear and be an ultra bogan with different rims front and rear. At least until Monday next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Drag raced for the first time ever. Only ended up with an 11.44 @ 121.4 before they kicked me out for going too fast without a fire suit. Was hoping to get into the 10s but not bad for my first time.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Added louvers.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Comrade Flynn posted:

Drag raced for the first time ever. Only ended up with an 11.44 @ 121.4 before they kicked me out for going too fast without a fire suit. Was hoping to get into the 10s but not bad for my first time.

Golly, only 11s? come back when you get into the 9s, scrub.

Seriously, did you get video by any chance?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Dude that is blisteringly fast, jesus. Taking .44 off your time is exponentially harder for every tenth but Im not going to talk you out of it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Extremely crappy video my wife shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNO-JWy5dxg

Can't see much but you can hear the car decently. And the announcer's funny commentary.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Installed this innocuous looking little heater thing.

It goes here:

Errr, I mean underneath all that poo poo. Go away intake and exhaust manifold, you are bothering me.

There, that's better. Now we just gotta remove that little plug there on the left, easy right? Let's just grab my 19mm hex socket. (Fun fact: You can tell which holes are Intake because they're coated in glorp. This poor little diesel was saddled with EGR because California. Couple EGR with the standard crankcase ventilation system and you've got a recipe for that glorp. It's as sticky as peanut butter and thicker too.)

Oh wait, I don't have a 19mm hex socket, off to Harblor Frieght. The only 19mm hex they have is impact, and it's so large that it's interfering with the starter. I'll just get my hacksaw and cut down the bit. Oh wait, it's impact-rated. No way I'm cutting through that in a day, so unbolt the starter. Mercedes W123 diesel uses four bolts because Mercedes.

Ok, just enough room. Let's spin this bitch!

Nope, start stacking up the cheater bars. Nope. Eventually went to a full jack handle from my 4 ton floor unit. Nope, still nothing. I read a bit on the Internet, apparently guys have cracked their loving blocks trying to remove this bastard. I read heat helps, so I take the MAP gas to it for like five minutes straight, then all my cheaters hooked together and CRACK! I busted that fucker off, block intact. It snapped so loud though I thought maybe I toasted it.

Now a proper mechanic would have drained the antifreeze before doing this and used a collection pan. My method is to drop a running hose under the car, unscrew the old plug with one hand, and plop the new one in place with the other. I think I lost less half a pint of antifreeze. Awesome.

So now I'm ready for winter...and it's late June. I'm happy though, I've had that block heater for as long as I've had the car - about 3 years or so. Next winter will be nice. I'm gonna put a timer on the extension cord I run out to it so it turns on around 3 or 4 in the morning. I don't have a picture yet cause a cloudburst kicked me off the project, but basically there is a wire that screws onto that block heater and runs to the front of the car with a three-prong plug on it. Maybe I can fool some folks into thinking it's a hybrid.

Anyway, tomorrow is valve adjustment day and new fuel filters too. Then next weekend is aircon, tank strainer and oil/filter change. The following weekend is pack and prep, and the weekend after that is drive to Canada.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 23, 2013

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Did a subtle debadging. Got rid of the "Grand Prix" lettering on the lower left of the trunk lid. I think it makes it look a little cleaner back there. The fishing line and goo-gone method is definitely magic.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Put my WRX suspension in yesterday. Absolutely freakin love it. So much less body roll and its the perfect ride height.

Before:

After:

86boy
Apr 22, 2013

11BulletCatcher posted:

A good 283 is a beautiful thing. What transmission do you have?

The almighty 2 speed powerglide. I'm unsure of the actual name, just what I grew up hearing.

Billy Tully posted:

So thats 3 283s in AI now? I like it.

I finally reported my tags stolen to the DMV today since the rear end in a top hat I sold my GTI to never sent them back. Now I can put the C10 back on the road in the next week or two.

I'm guessing you have a 283 as well?

Today.... Finish filling the transmission and actually drove it down the road. Tomorrow... Power steering pump!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well...

:emo:

I braked for an emergency vehicle at an intersection and got hit from behind. The left rear of my car and the front right of her car got damaged. From looking at both of them, hers took the brunt of the impact, it looked a lot worse than mine.

So I guess this proves that Peugeots are tougher than VWs ;)

Insurance is handling everything now, I hope it's only cosmetic damage, like it appears to be. Dented trunk lid, scratched and dented rear bumpers, bent exhaust. I sure hope there's no unibody damage.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 23, 2013

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

KozmoNaut posted:

Ouch, hopefully insurance covers the full 100% on your part, it should though.
I had a slow-speed collision with a VolksWagen myself on the driver-side corner, my damage was cosmetic, the VW Passat looked horrible, a flat tire, metal shreds and leaking fluids everywhere.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gorillian Dollars posted:

Ouch, hopefully insurance covers the full 100% on your part, it should though.

I know, to me it looks like a 100% textbook case of following too closely. Hell, she even agreed with me that it was 100% her fault, but who knows what bizarre conclusions our insurance companies choose to come up with.

It was a relatively low-speed collision. I was at a dead stop and I heard hear tires squeal before she hit me, so she must have braked hard. I guess she was going maybe 15-20kph when she hit, at the most. I mean, the airbags in her car didn't even deploy.

Now there's nothing more I can do except with for my insurance company to get back in touch with me, so we can figure out how and when my car will be fixed. I think I'll refrain from driving it until it's been looked over and fixed, just in case.

Thank gently caress I wasn't on my bike, though!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 23, 2013

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Well...

:emo:

I braked for an emergency vehicle at an intersection and got hit from behind. The left rear of my car and the front right of her car got damaged. From looking at both of them, hers took the brunt of the impact, it looked a lot worse than mine.

Insurance is handling everything now, I hope it's only cosmetic damage, like it appears to be. Dented trunk lid, scratched and dented rear bumpers, bent exhaust. I sure hope there's no unibody damage.

Oh my...

Then again, I've bend my 406 way worse than that with no real structural damage. They're amazingly strong cars. When you're through the insurance process let me know. It looks like a 17K Danish Kr damage that can easily be fixed for around a fraction of that. Judging from the pictures alone, I'm 99,9% sure there's no damage that compromises the unibody integrity.

Peugeot 406s are made of rare unicorn bones, unobtainium and French rocket-science. They're pretty much indestructible. Even the low-end TS4 you've got will survive this ;)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Capslock Holmes posted:

E: I love the smell of tire stores, is that weird?

If loving the smell of fresh tires is wrong I don't wanna be right.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Was a tool bitch for kastein and ACE while they did all the hard work putting on my downpipe in Billy Tully's driveway even though he was nowhere to be found.

So far the high flow cat didn't throw a CEL and it sounds a little throatier.

It definitely sounded pretty cool when you got on it right after pulling out of the driveway - but I don't recall what it sounded like before because last time you had to tiptoe out the dirt road from my house :haw:

I still can't believe those two nuts on the flange at the end of the downpipe actually came off. 5 nuts to install the whole thing, all started as 15mm, the upper 3 were rusted to fit a 14mm and the lower 2 were rusted to barely fit a 13mm... and yet somehow they all came off without snapping a single stud.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxyEquQqBgE

Someone posted a video of my last run. Looks like I'm bogging the start somehow. Need to figure out how to launch this thing better.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

After spiraling out of control with anxiety, I finally cleaned my car... four trash bags later I've found myself horrified with the reality of just how bad I got, but happy that I cleaned the trash out of my car. Now I just have to vacuum it, then figure out how to fix the carpet.

Today I fought the first battle.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rapdawg posted:

After spiraling out of control with anxiety, I finally cleaned my car... four trash bags later I've found myself horrified with the reality of just how bad I got, but happy that I cleaned the trash out of my car. Now I just have to vacuum it, then figure out how to fix the carpet.

Today I fought the first battle.

Ask in the detailing thread!

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
I built new extended upper a-arms for my '64 impala on Saturday:

Last weekend made new front shock relocation mounts:

Car is on air:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Went from this:

To this:

Its unreal how much better the truck looks. Almost freaking respectable. Next on the agenda is to do all new O2 sensors.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Comrade Flynn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxyEquQqBgE

Someone posted a video of my last run. Looks like I'm bogging the start somehow. Need to figure out how to launch this thing better.

Use the launch control? :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Great, now Nissan will void the warranty just from you suggesting that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

86boy posted:

The almighty 2 speed powerglide. I'm unsure of the actual name, just what I grew up hearing.

Yes I do, its in a 67 Chevy C10, 55-57 block, 63-67 truck heads, 350hp 327 cam, long tube headers and a Qjet and intake from a 67 Camaro with a 327.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l67QjfOs-E

e: I just ordered 3 inch lowering springs/shocks for the 67 and the clutch for the 56 IH for "what I did to my ride today"

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 24, 2013

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Crustashio posted:

Use the launch control? :v:

Yeah. There seemed to be a .2 second hesitation that you see there before it absolutely exploded.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Billy Tully posted:

Yes I do, its in a 67 Chevy C10, 55-57 block, 63-67 truck heads, 350hp 327 cam, long tube headers and a Qjet and intake from a 67 Camaro with a 327.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l67QjfOs-E

e: I just ordered 3 inch lowering springs/shocks for the 67 and the clutch for the 56 IH for "what I did to my ride today"

A++ motor, will inhale exhaust fumes again

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

86boy posted:

Today.... Finish filling the transmission and actually drove it down the road. Tomorrow... Power steering pump!

Trust me when I say this: Make sure you check to make sure that thing is bolted in right. If you don't you could end up shearing the bolts off your balancer like I did. Should be three, maybe 4 bolts and you gotta keep it straight as well as tight. That thing will BOUNCE around if not tightened right.

And I'm rocking a powerglide too, it's a tough bastard of a transmission, but definitely not good on takeoff without a more powerful engine.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

One of my fog lights was broken when I got the car. From looking around the net it looks like this is pretty common due to them being low to the ground, fairly exposed, and glass. I got a set of two in yellow off ebay so it was just a simple matter of removing two phillips screws and swapping the housing. Except that they were actually JIS instead of phillips and more importantly they were rusted on pretty good. Soaking in PB blaster for a day didn't do anything and heat wasn't an option as it would have melted plastic the screw went through. I dremeled a slot in the head of the screw to get a better bite and

gently caress you.

Not you Keezer, you're awesome.

Anyway I really only needed the head of the screw off to free the light from the body panel so good enough. To avoid having to do this again I got some 1/8th inch plexiglass, cut it to shape, and used a heat gun to bend it to roughly the right shape to fit around the lights. Later this week I'll have some clear velcro type stuff to stick the plexi shields on so no pictures of them installed on the car for now.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Today for my 33rd birthday, I performed open center console surgery :toot:

Gotcha! :black101:

Side by side comparison of the B&M unit and the factory issued contraption:

What a mess :psyduck:

Finally installed and the first test drive was successful. It's going to take a little getting used to but it definitely feels a hell of a lot better than the stock one. :cool:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Drove up to 14,000ft today. Not too bad for 22 years old.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I inspected the rear end end of my frame and determined that I need to weld patches into it pronto. It's got more crack than the bombed out shell of Detroit. In fact it's cracked in 3 places on a single frame rail (the other is mostly fine) and the bottom is rusted through and caved in in another place... fortunately an afternoon with the fluxcore and some 1/8" mild steel should do the job.

Budget Monty posted:

I built new extended upper a-arms for my '64 impala on Saturday:

Last weekend made new front shock relocation mounts:

Car is on air:

Very nice work, and the car looks awesome.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Went from this:

To this:

You backed it up 6 feet? :v:

I'm sorry, that was a little harsh.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Saturday:

(yea the flash sucked, and it's dirty. Spent the week on site with a grand caravan.)
Sunday:

1700 miles and this happens. Completely sick to my stomach.
Didn't see an suv coming down the lane in a parking lot (apparently racing to get to the drive).
Side curtains went off on that side, and the belt tensioners are all locked. Feels like the right tie rods are bent, it pulls pretty good.
On the plus side, it shut itself off, turned on the emergency flashers and dialed 911 before I could do more than pull the parking brake.

It's fixable, but it was a parking lot accident. No assigned blame, and no tickets. I'm sure I'll be paying my deductible, then waiting to see how much insurance goes up. Not sure how I'll survive without it while it's getting fixed. Will drive the truck this week ($$$$), and see about a rental next week.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Your insurance companies still assign fault in a parking lot. Were they coming out of an aisle and t boned you?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

It was 7 feet. Trying to even out the oil stains.

No, but the new bumper looks a million times better. I was trying to get a better shot of the original but it was so loving bright out I couldn't capture a good photo at the time.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Beginning at 3:30 yesterday afternoon, we began installing my LG long tubes and the NPP mufflers that kill me now sold me.

God friggin drat LG has some poo poo tolerance work going on. The highflow cats didn't fit. Their outer diameter was the same as the outer diameter of the primaries, so all we could do was bang the ends on each other. Finally pried it a little wider and rammed it on with a wooden block and a giant loving mallet.

It also did not come with extensions for the rear O2 sensors, so I'm going to be riding a little dirty until those get ordered.

My NPP in a Box control unit went in rather easily, just some pain in the rear end work getting the vacuum line run because I didn't want to go through the exhaust tunnel. Went around the wheel wells and through the rocker panel instead, put the box behind the interior trunk trim instead of one of the passenger storage bin as instructed (Because I actually use my storage bins).

So we worked until 1 AM last night. Woke up at 7:30 and worked until just now at noon. Still not done. Everything is finally fit together, just have to tighten down the clamps and torque the header bolts. And then, loud and obnoxious hooning.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Hey, for a British car, that's a laudable accomplishment!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
And we will look really loving cool while doing so :smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I kid, I kid.

Solved my oil gauge issues and intermittent EGR code in one go. Pulled the sender + angled fitting off, put sealer on both male threads, screwed them down tight... and reconnected the EGR valve to the vacuum hose that I left off when I put the new sender in last week. :v: Gauge now reads a rock steady 10 psi at idle.

I did go ahead and look through the rest of the EGR system while I was in there. Valve moves very freely when I suck on the hose, kills the engine when fully open so flow is good. Every time I delve into the engine on this truck, I come away more and more satisfied with the $800 purchase price.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

At the weekend I fitted the door onto the garage that I have spent the last 6 months (slowly) building and tonight I used the garage for the first time and changed the oil and filter and of course christened the nice clean floor by spilling oil all over it.

Can't help but feel amused at how small a 1 litre 3 cylinder engine is compared to the landrovers and saabs I'm used to. 3.5 litres of oil and the tiniest filter I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

ApathyGifted posted:

Beginning at 3:30 yesterday afternoon, we began installing my LG long tubes and the NPP mufflers that kill me now sold me.

God friggin drat LG has some poo poo tolerance work going on. The highflow cats didn't fit. Their outer diameter was the same as the outer diameter of the primaries, so all we could do was bang the ends on each other. Finally pried it a little wider and rammed it on with a wooden block and a giant loving mallet.

It also did not come with extensions for the rear O2 sensors, so I'm going to be riding a little dirty until those get ordered.

My NPP in a Box control unit went in rather easily, just some pain in the rear end work getting the vacuum line run because I didn't want to go through the exhaust tunnel. Went around the wheel wells and through the rocker panel instead, put the box behind the interior trunk trim instead of one of the passenger storage bin as instructed (Because I actually use my storage bins).

So we worked until 1 AM last night. Woke up at 7:30 and worked until just now at noon. Still not done. Everything is finally fit together, just have to tighten down the clamps and torque the header bolts. And then, loud and obnoxious hooning.

Nice, I think I'm gonna go with the Pfadt Tri-Y headers next year when I'm looking for a power bump. I hear they net a bit more torque and have great fit and finish.