Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

bringer posted:

I know it has been brought up repeatedly but it pains me to think that you are an actual English Lit grad.

"I wouldn't of show up"

Ugh.

On the plus side, it makes me feel slightly less scared about loving up the next two years of my English degree.

Also 9pm til 2am is a brilliant shift you are insane. And you don't wanna ask for time off for a party but you're happy to screw about with your co-workers? Ah man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Pfirti86 posted:

I used to love getting carts when I worked at a grocery story in high school. I would usually just space out while I did it and daydream about random poo poo.

This is Benny. If he spaced out while pushing carts it would probably result in a 20 car pileup with multiple fatalities.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Holy gently caress, OP. When I saw there was an update, I was hoping to see that you were doing well at work and saving money to move out. Instead, you've hosed up pushing carts, screwed over a fellow employee, and are being a complete rear end in a top hat about having to attend a party for yourself. Jesus Christ. How is this possible? I literally can not fathom it. gently caress moving out. Put the money immediately towards therapy. I'm serious. You have issues that require a therapist. Have you looked into therapy? Please say yes. At least let there be that.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Xenocides posted:

This is Benny. If he spaced out while pushing carts it would probably result in a 20 car pileup with multiple fatalities.

If I hadn't followed this thread from the start I would have mistaken this for sarcasm.

Benny, find yourself a sliding scale clinic and get checked out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Overall it seems like there's some improvement, congrats on holding the job thus far.

Good things:
- Standing up to mom on your graduation party. Scheduling a party for someone with no regards for their work schedule is pretty inconsiderate and self-centered. Rescheduling was the right thing to do.

Bad:
- Please please please leave your comfort zone! You seem very attached to what is familiar and simple, and while this is common across all people to some degree, you seem to take it to the limit. Please just start saying yes to requests/invitations by default. Do things that you are invited to that you don't think you'll like, just to force yourself into a mindset where you do things by default. Take late shifts for extra money, even if it means something unfamiliar like working at night. (Did you have plans that evening?) This has been demonstrated throughout the thread and is an area you should try and improve.
- Don't screw your coworkers like that. You know that of course, but seriously don't do it. There's no point in burning bridges for no reason, and it's something you will want from coworkers in the future. This doesn't even count the part where you get extra money for it.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Hey Benny, aren't you glad you came back to the thread so everyone can continue to tell you how much of a gently caress up they think you are?

Edit: While we're all here for this fun reunion, you've got some months of work under your belt since the thread died, how much money have you saved towards moving out since getting the job?

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 25, 2013

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Dr. Lariat posted:

Hey Benny, aren't you glad you came back to thread so everyone can continue to tell you how much of a gently caress up they think you are?

The funny thing is, even with Benny driving a stack of carts into a elderly woman's windshield and not being able to take simple directions/tasks, he is still better then most of the thread starters here because he actually has a job, attempting to talk to people at his work, and trying to be less of a sperg lord.

Dream on, Benny. Dream on, bro.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

big duck equals goose posted:

The funny thing is, even with Benny driving a stack of carts into a elderly woman's windshield and not being able to take simple directions/tasks, he is still better then most of the thread starters here because he actually has a job, attempting to talk to people at his work, and trying to be less of a sperg lord.

The fun thing about e/n threads is that the OP is going to read this one post of encouragement and disregard all the harsh-yet-helpful criticism. Congratulations, look at what you've done, Hitler.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

big duck equals goose posted:

The funny thing is that some E/N posters have realized that they are in abusive relationships, escaped the abusive home they were in, and managed to go to court and get peace orders in the time this thread has been going.

The funny thing is, a poster literally so depressed that he wanted goons to help him destroy the world managed to complete a mod challenge, start getting therapy, and started to pull out of his funk in the time this thread has been going.

A lot of people gave Benny really good advice for months, now it's time to just piss in the well.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Dr. Lariat posted:

Edit: While we're all here for this fun reunion, you've got some months of work under your belt since the thread died, how much money have you saved toward a moving out since getting the job?

Curious about this as well. Is the move out plan still in motion here?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The funny thing is, a poster literally so depressed that he wanted goons to help him destroy the world managed to complete a mod challenge, start getting therapy, and started to pull out of his funk in the time this thread has been going.

E/N success story of the year. :3:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Anonymous Zebra posted:

But then he stopped taking his meds and tried to rally a goon army to assassinate various public figures.

Benny hasn't slipped back; he's still employed, so he's got that going for him.

Floorgazer
May 7, 2007
I just want to say that since I've been reading this thread, I've gone from being unemployed for nearly 2 years to getting a job at the deli at my local grocery store. I'm also making friends, and proving myself to be an asset. I just want to thank you Benny the Snake for indirectly changing my life. Reading this trainwreck thread has been inspirational to me.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

AlbieQuirky posted:

But then he stopped taking his meds and tried to rally a goon army to assassinate various public figures.

Benny hasn't slipped back; he's still employed, so he's got that going for him.

Wait, that actually happened?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Wonder Bra posted:

Wait, that actually happened?

Yes. Most people didn't make the connection because he name changed, but that's the epilogue to that tale.

Also, Benny, what the gently caress man?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Floorgazer posted:

I just want to thank you Benny the Snake for indirectly changing my life. Reading this trainwreck thread has been inspirational to me.

It's true for me too. This thread freaked me out so bad that I worked extra hard to make sure I get a post-doc for next year. I already have five interviews, and things are looking up. Thanks Benny!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Morby posted:

Curious about this as well. Is the move out plan still in motion here?
That's in limbo right now. I first have to get myself situated with my student loan payments. I have to re-submit information because somebody on their end dropped the ball. I can't possibly afford to pay $300 rent monthly if I'm paying $300 on student loans a month on an income of roughly $720 a month. So until that's sorted out, I'm staying put here at home.

EDIT: I have a buddy who's offering me a room for $300 a month. Just to reiterate.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 25, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You can't live anywhere on 700 dollars a month.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

MassaShowtime posted:

You can't live anywhere on 700 dollars a month.
I should've clarified. A buddy is offering me a room for $300 and the offer's still good.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

I should've clarified. A buddy is offering me a room for $300 and the offer's still good.

I think what he meant is that on $400/month after rent you're going to struggle to cover food/bills/transport.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
How many hours a week are you working? Given that you dick people over on covering shifts and refuse to work weekends, I guess I assumed you was already comfortably full time.

Cali has an $8 minimum wage.

Assuming a lowball 30 hours a week I calculated you'd pay 375 a year tax on $12500 income. So 3%. That means to be making $700 a month take home you are working 20 hours a week.

How the gently caress do you screw colleagues over by not covering when only working 20 hours? How do you have no time to write? How do you expect to move out on your own working 20 hours minimum wage?

You need to take every shift offered ever, and spend those other 20-30 hours of working week every week looking for a 40-50 hour a week job. Working a 9-5 schedule or similar hours would double your income and let you pay 300 loans and 300 rent while still having around 600-700 assuming the tax rate rises or 800 if not for groceries and insurance and savings and fuel and whatnot.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
You should try to negotiate that student loan monthly rate.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Masonity posted:

Assuming a lowball 30 hours a week I calculated you'd pay 375 a year tax on $12500 income. So 3%. That means to be making $700 a month take home you are working 20 hours a week.

Yeah, in retail this is basically 2.5 days a week, wow.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Well if he was working all week his mom might get after his collection of hent- er, adult comics. An unacceptable risk!

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Grin and Tonic posted:

You should try to negotiate that student loan monthly rate.
Yes, call your loan people. They will absolutely work with you; they will do anything, especially at the start, to help you avoid loving this up/default. If you don't know who to call, call your school's financial aid office and ask them. They will know; they will help you.

Benny, keep your head up at work.

Also, I kind of agree with you about the party- I'd rather work than go to a party thrown for me by my family, and yes I realize how horribly goony that sounds. In the end, though, I would suck it up and play nice and try to make sure that my family and friends who were there for me during school were acknowledged, too.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yeah two weeks later he made a thread about wanting to organize a bunch of goons to go Columbine on Seth Macfarlane, followed by a permaban & new account trying to negotiate rights to not being banned in exchange of photos of his medication.

This Benny dude is a total shithead, and this thread exists solely for the entertainment of everyone. Feel free to give good advice; chances are someone else reading it might take away something positive from it.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Benny would you like to do a podcast where I ruthlessly mock the things you say and think? Before you answer, look at how well Karl Pilkington is doing these days.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Don't move out Benny, you're just gonna pull a Captain Walker and freak out and make your roommate call your mom to take you home.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

happyflurple posted:

Also 9pm til 2am is a brilliant shift you are insane. And you don't wanna ask for time off for a party but you're happy to screw about with your co-workers? Ah man.

i just wish there was a :stare: big enogh for this. Benny what the hell man.

Also yea that shift is awesome especially if it's on a weekday when your friends/whatever it is that you have arent going out or something anyway. You work for 5 hours, and still get home with enogh time to get some sleep (wake up at 10) to do interviews, errands, whatever you want. Thats a really good shift man.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Call Me Abey posted:

Yeah two weeks later he made a thread about wanting to organize a bunch of goons to go Columbine on Seth Macfarlane, followed by a permaban & new account trying to negotiate rights to not being banned in exchange of photos of his medication.

This Benny dude is a total shithead, and this thread exists solely for the entertainment of everyone. Feel free to give good advice; chances are someone else reading it might take away something positive from it.

I've followed this thread from the beginning and I've used it as motivation/inspiration. After finishing school I was struggling on finding a relevant, decent paying job to go with my degree and after reading this, I swore I'd never Benny my life up. Worked plenty of lovely retail jobs but I ended up gritting my teeth and finally got myself a job that I can make a living off of, so I guess I owe some of that to Benny.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
E: N/m

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 25, 2013

benjai
Jun 26, 2007
I just realized that I, indirectly, also have been motivated by this thread. I'm all kinds of hosed up, been too sick mentally to work at full capacity and with no education unable to get anything more then part-time work (assisting kids with special needs).

Since this thread started, I got and started two new part-time jobs, and just last week I finally landed a job that will secure me financially and really further my career, working mon-thurs at a daycare center assisting a boy with downs syndrome starting in August.

So come on, Benny. If I can do it, with near crippling anxiety after getting burnt out three years ago, then so can you. Get some focus in your life; get therapy and medication if necessary. I got medicated and since finding the right ones a year and a half ago my life has really turned around. You can do it, too!

Grandpas a Racist
Mar 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Yeah best part of this thread have been people chiming in saying how Benny's complete and utter poo poo life has motivated them to work harder/pursue different avenues/get creative and proactive in accomplishing different goals.

But we still have you, Benny. Beautiful boy.

We're giving you a hard time because it's almost exhausting how incompetent you appear to be. Snap into it, get some confidence someway somehow real soon, because boy howdy do you need something new in your life.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'll figure something out. Right now I'm in limbo until I find something or something pops up. Maybe I should consider volunteer work at my local library. I'm going there tomorrow: I'll ask if they need a part-time volunteer.

EDIT: and I don't care how y'all take my story, so long as I don't get probated/banned or redtaged. I'm doing my best not to screw up on these fine forums myself.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Benny, how much money have you saved towards moving out?

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Benny the Snake posted:

I'll figure something out. Right now I'm in limbo until I find something or something pops up. Maybe I should consider volunteer work at my local library. I'm going there tomorrow: I'll ask if they need a part-time volunteer.

"limbo" and "waiting till something comes up" basically means your gonna spend the next 20 years balding and pushing carts badly while making GBS threads out fanficiton or whatever you think qualifies as writing.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Dr. Lariat posted:

Benny, how much money have you saved towards moving out?
About three months work, give or take. I wanna negotiate my student loan payments first. Yesterday I was closing so before I went to work, I called my lenders and negotiated a consolidation. I'm sending the information tomorrow. Once I have confirmation, I'll make my move towards moving. In the meanwhile some good news: I was paid the $300 I "loaned" out to my brother with Mom as proxy. I just put all my money in all the separate accounts into a local credit union where I'm sticking all my paychecks week to week straight into the savings account. I just need to get a handle on my payments before I make any move.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 26, 2013

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

Benny the Snake posted:

EDIT: and I don't care how y'all take my story, so long as I don't get probated/banned or redtaged. I'm doing my best not to screw up on these fine forums myself.

Glad to see that you have your priorities in order.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

About three months work, give or take. I wanna negotiate my student loan payments first. Yesterday I was closing so before I went to work, I called my lenders and negotiated a consulidation. I'm sending the information tomorrow. Once I have confirmation, I'll make my move towards moving. In the meanwhile some good news: I was paid the $300 I "loaned" out to my brother with Mom as proxy. I just put all my money in all the separate accounts into a local credit union where I'm sticking all my paychecks week to week straight into the savings account. I just need to get a handle on my payments before I make any move.

Consolidation, Ben, my english major.

But how big does the red tag font need to be to move you out of 'limbo'? Working on something here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Hmmph, I thought I made my question direct enough to get a direct answer and not some wordy run around the block. I saw the dollar amount of $300 in there somewhere so I'll assume that's the answer to my question.

Keep on trucking and we're all rooting for you, or not.

• Locked thread