Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

redreader posted:

I have not played tons of games, but which 2-5 of these in particular should I spend more time on/finish?

My vote is for Bayonetta, Saint's Row and Borderlands. I've been going back to Bayonetta off and on recently trying to finish my own hard mode playthrough and it's been a lot of fun and rewarding when I actually make progress. I probably don't need to tell you that it's the best character action game ever.

Saint's Row 3 is amazing. It is the only game I've liked more than Bayonetta this gen. It is nuts from start to finish, the powers and guns you end up with make you feel like some kind of lunatic superhero and the writing is great.

Borderlands was great but I don't know how many people are still playing it and I feel like it's best experienced co-op or not at all. People will disagree with me for sure, but I didn't think it was anything particularly great when played solo, but with other people it is probably the best co-op game in the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100% achievement games for this week:

Ys II - Was more fun than the first, especially because you don't hit max level about a third of the way through. It is very much an old game though and I would find it hard to recommend them to other people. I'll probably finally get round to buying the modern Ys games in the upcoming sale and spend a lot of time bashing my head against those. They have some crazy achievements.

Dynamite Jack - Really short and easy game where you bomberman your way through objectives. The levels at no point became hard, only longer and more tedious.

Slam Bolt Scrappers - I never get mad at videogames but this sure did make me come close! I played through on the hardest difficulty from the start, which I later found out is designed to challenge the developers. The game feels clunky and the later stages are somewhat unfair. I struggled for an hour to beat the cheating last boss, only to find out there was an epilogue stage where you have to beat the last boss and another guy at the same time.

Surgeon Simulator 2013 - Re-finished this one since they added the TF2 DLC. Aiming that medigun is real finicky.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
My "Recently Played" page has twelve entries on it, which surely means I am doing well working on the backlog.

The Walking Dead: Everybody already knows this is fantastic and I don't have much to add. I hope they fix the save game bug for season 2.
Stealth Bastard Deluxe: Quite a fun puzzle platformer. You die a lot but checkpoints are usually generous, so it's all right.
Hotline Miami: Took me some time to get into this but I liked it overall. I thought the controls were a bit tricky, particularly the guns/ranged weapons.
Capsized: I've read a lot of bad things about this game but I actually quite liked it. It's pretty, plays well and doesn't overstay its welcome.
Thomas Was Alone: It's all right. I think it suffers a bit from the same issue The Cave had where you have to move a number of characters to the same place separately. But it's got character and some good puzzles.
Little Inferno: Loved it.
Serious Sam Double D: Decently fun side-scrolling shooter.
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter: Really weird game that gets kind of difficult in its later stages, but fortunately it's very short.
Organ Trail: Director's Cut: Really enjoyed this take on the Oregon Trail. It took me about two hours to do a run but I might go back to try one on a higher difficulty. On Normal at least the strategy seems to essentially be - scavenge while activity is low, trade excess food, then wait a day and scavenge more. I was rolling in supplies by the end.
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers: Pretty fun! Not much else to say.
Hector, Episode 1: The humor is hit or miss, some of it is kind of dull, crass toilet humor, but some of it is actually kind of funny as well. Puzzles get the job done. I like it enough to play the next two.

The twelfth game is Fractal, but I'm kind of undecided on it, not sure if I'll bother beating it. It's okay I guess, but seems to have become really hard really quickly, though I think I also kind of suck at it to be honest. The prospect of beating ~60 of these levels doesn't sound very appealing at the moment.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Wait, normal on the PC is Hard? Gah. I've been having serious trouble with this game early on and thought maybe I'd just gotten bad at video games, or maybe using a controller was messing me up (which I don't normally do, but I like the feedback effects and the game is definitely designed for it).

Either way, the story is fun in a meta pulp horror way, but I'm getting tired of the combat gimmick already. It was a neat idea, but it's getting monotonous. At least the episodes are short, that makes it more playable. And yeah Wake needed to spend some more time on the treadmill. He sure runs like a writer!

I beat Alan Wake on Saturday on Normal (I played with a keyboard & mouse and thought it worked well with that. I started with a controller but it just didn't click for me with this game), and I didn't think the combat was as bad as it was made out to be. There were two parts that were challenging the fight on the rock concert stage, and in the last level running through one of the tunnels but only took two tries for the first one, and three tries for the second one. I thought the story was cool and the episodic format really worked well for me. Kind of a disappointing ending, I have to see if I have any of the extra episodes. I have Alan Wake's American Nightmare but I've heard that doesn't really continue the story.

Up next is me going on vacation for a week. I hope the Steam sale doesn't start starts while I'm gone so I'm not tempted to add to my backlog. Maybe I'll play one of the many Telltale games I added to my backlog when I get back.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The backlog indie game crap sweep continues! AKA - installing games that look awful, or that I don't remember buying, or that I'm pretty sure I won't like. Trying to get the backlog down to games that I actually think I'll play. Dare to dream.

The Null-a-thon
AI War : Feet Command - Space based strategy game. Looks like it doesn't actually suck if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not.
Fantasy Wars - Some sort of turn based strategy game. The intro cut scene was comically awful.
Gumboy Crazy Features - Came in something called the "Puzzle Indie Pack." Steer clear of that mess. Good lord. Awful side scrolling platform thing.
Gumboy Crazy Adventures - Fool me once..... (Didn't really install it at all.)
Penguins Arena: Sedena's World - It's penguins. Having a snow ball fight. Another crappy bundle strikes again.
Tank Universal - Same bundle as the penguins. Very Tron looking tank fighting game. With graphics that look like a really bad N64 game. If it were polished a heck of a lot more, it might be fun. Surely there's a better tank game out there though.
Space Trader - Merchant Marine - Penguins, Tanks, and space trading? The bundle from Hell strikes again.

I think I spent a combined 90 minutes "playing" the above games. It was a good half hour too much.

Maybe later. Maybe - Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World Old school SNES style RPGs. Played around with them for a bit. Not saying no. Just saying not right now. Do seem to have a number of goons singing their praises at least. If you grew up playing SNES games you might love the nostalgia.

Maybe Later - Ignite : Installed literally because I didn't know what it was and has since been removed from Steam. Just a racing game. Seemed pretty average to me. I do like driving games though. Nothing about it made me think I needed to play it right away, but nothing made me think I'd never play it again either. Controls seemed awful though.

Now playing
Closure - Interesting b&w platform game. Will likely finish.
Tidalis - Ahhh. After installing and crapping on nearly a dozen piles of garbage, this is refreshing. A puzzle game with an interesting take on the "match 3" kind of game. Will likely play the heck of this.
Offspring Fling! - Installed to harvest sweet sweet game cards. Nothing great about it, and likely won't play for more than an hour or two, but at least it's entertaining for a while.

Backlog damage : "Uninstalled - not played" folder now down to 86 titles. Feels good, man.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

americanzero4128 posted:

I thought the story was cool and the episodic format really worked well for me. Kind of a disappointing ending, I have to see if I have any of the extra episodes. I have Alan Wake's American Nightmare but I've heard that doesn't really continue the story.
It does and it doesn't- it's worth playing (or at least watching on Youtube somewhere) if you liked the game's story, along with the two extra DLC episodes. Play those first, if you have them.

NULLED: Hammerfight
I remember kind of liking this and not being totally lovely at it back when I got it in a bundle, but finally going back to it I've found that I am both terrible at it, and it's not interesting for much more than five minutes.

Think I'll probably null MacGuffin's Curse as well, since it doesn't appear to have much more going on aside from block pushing and some funny writing here and there.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bobby The Rookie posted:

NULLED: Hammerfight
I remember kind of liking this and not being totally lovely at it back when I got it in a bundle, but finally going back to it I've found that I am both terrible at it, and it's not interesting for much more than five minutes.

I wanted to like that game but the controls are just super terrible. It's also in my nulled pile.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah it's a neat idea for a game but I couldn't never really get into it for all that long.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

I can't buy games any more so I guess I have to play them? Ughhhhhh. The only way I can get new games is by Trading Card profit and Steam Gifts.

Anyway, Currently Finishing: The Walking Dead. I got about halfway and put it down, I need to finish it.
Up to the last chapter of the The Walking Dead.

Playing: Defender's Quest: Valley of the forgotten. Only played it for 20 minutes and it's already a keeper, bought it with Steambux :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
WARNING: The big post is approaching at full throttle. According to the data, it is identified as Butsutekkai. NO REFUGE

Got a bunch of games over the last few weeks, mostly through Humble Bundles.
The Walking Dead - Already beaten, as good as I heard it was. Once it's not so fresh in my memory, I definitely intend to replay it.
Basically every other Telltale game - I grabbed the bundle entirely for Walking Dead, everything else was just a bonus.
Serious Sam 3 - From the Serious Sam bundle.
Serious Sam, the Random Encounter - From the Serious Sam bundle.
Dear Esther - From another bundle.
Little Inferno - Came with Dear Esther
Thomas Was Alone - Ditto.
Miner Wars 2081 - A gift, I think? That, or a bundle.
Scribblenauts Unlimited - Also a gift.
Trauma - Must have come with one of the bundles.

Finally got around to sorting through all my games. Don't even remember how many of these I'd nulled before, but of the one's I'm fairly sure are recent...

A Valley Without Wind 1 & 2 - I wanted to like these games, I really did. Roguelike and Metroidvania just don't get along, though.
AaAaAA!! - As much as I like the concept of A7, it's just not really grabbing me.
Audiosurf - For being unbeatable.
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER - I refuse to waste time on a game that makes you restart a whole level you did perfectly on because of one mistake at the end.
Blood Bowl - Really only fun for multiplayer, and the version I have is outdated for that.
Borderlands - Also only really fun in multiplayer, any more.
Capsized - For being a steaming pile of meh.
City of Heroes - :911:
Faerie Solitaire - Shrug.
Gish - Clunky controls, buggy gameplay, arrogant designer. gently caress this game.
Little Inferno - Got spoiled on the ending, immediately lost interest.
MtG: Duel of the Planeswalker 2012 & 2012 - See Blood Bowl.
Street Fighter 4 - See Blood Bowl.
Warlock: Master of the Arcane - I used to like this game enough to attempt an LP of it, but after I fell back in love with Civ 4:BtS, this just feels... lacking.

Now playing:
Metro 2033 - I'll have to restart, but considering I now know how to keep every enemy from being an annoying bullet sponge, I shouldn't mind too much.
Scribblenauts Unlimited - Fun, and for when I don't feel like anything deeper.
Serious Sam 3: BFE - Technically in the same genre as Metro, but only in the same way that a tomato is technically a fruit.
Thomas Was Alone - I feel like I'm almost done with this, wanna keep pushing.
XCom: Enemy Unknown - Again. Trying Ironman Classic, then I'll call it Completed. Personally, I'm filing Impossible under "Mastered" because Jesus loving Christ.

After I'm caught up, I think I'm going to try to blaze through some of the Telltale games that got piled on, finish Amnesia and Penumbra finally, and maybe Sonic Generations.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 25, 2013

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Uncharted 2 (PS3) - Beat: This was nice, but IMO not GOTY-good. I had the same problems as with the first part, especially that the story gets much less interesting past the halfway mark. Gameplay also becomes more frustrating as they start mindlessly throwing waves of tough enemies at you in every single shootout. The controls drove me mad sometimes, like during stealth sections. There's some stunning visual backdrops and the first half is very funny and engaging but after that I was more often bored and annoyed than entertained.

Geneforge (GOG) - Beat: The narration for this game is incredible. It gives you a nice sense of progression as you gain abilities, discover secrets and unlock new areas. The world is very open to your specific approach which makes for a great roleplaying experience that enables you to do things your own way. Apparently there's like a dozen different endings too. I definitely liked mine. Unfortunately the combat system is quite bad. It's slow and boring and defeating trivial enemies takes longer than it should. Definitely dragged the game out for me. I was also disappointed by how shaping worked since minion customization only happens through stat raises which is a little more simple than I had imagined.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Nulled - DLC Quest: After 48 minutes of gameplay, I had to find the hidden ending to the second campaign. I couldn't figure out which 'DLC' I needed to find. Then I realized the game was a painfully not funny piece of poo poo. Buck fifty poorly spent.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Question: How do you make basically no progress on your backlog for an entire month?

Answer: :darksouls: At least I now recognize what all the fuss is about.

The game is apparently divided into a rough three-act structure, I'm told, and I'm banging my head against the wall that is the end of act 2 I just cleared Act 2 thanks to a friendly co-opping passerby. Thanks, man. Wonderful game if you're into getting your teeth kicked in and willing and able to return the favor.

I did manage to beat FLY'N, though, and it's not bad but not great. It's a pretty solid mix of puzzle platforming and high-speed action platforming, which is a mix I don't see much of. Not really world-changing, though, so no reason to bloat the backlogs further.

[EDITED because the wall fell before our combined might, which was mostly his. That was some seriously heavy artillery; I think he was visiting from an NG+ runthrough.]

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 28, 2013

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Offspring Fling:

This game has a very interesting mechanic by using your babies as projectiles, some cute sprite work, and an awesome soundtrack. It hides its insane difficulty until the end when you unlock the extra levels. I am not even going to try to beat those because they are Super Meat Boy levels of pixel-perfect precision and timing.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Nulled Spirits. It sounds neat on paper - a Lemmings clone with realistic wind physics - but the winds are hard to control, and the results of creating a wind cloud are too unpredictable. In one level, I placed the same clouds at roughly the same positions three times, and saw my spirits flying to completely different places every time. At that point, I realized that I wasn't even halfway done, and that the levels would only get more frustrating, and I called it quits.

In related news, I'm now playing Lemmings Revolutions, which should be on Steam but sadly isn't.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Nulled: Blocks That Matter
I love puzzle games but this was a game I just simply couldn't get into.

Nulled: Jagged Alliance: Back In Action
I'm not the most experienced in these types of games, but I know a lovely game when I play it.

Beat: Brütal Legend
I came for the cards and stayed for a really enjoyable game with one huge flaw: its RTS element.
But it's well worth giving it a try if you have it in your backlog.

Nulled: Geneforge 2
Realized it had the same interface as Geneforge 1, and I simply can't stand another 50 hours of that, no matter how great the story and game itself is.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 30, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

Nulled: Blocks That Matter
I love puzzle games but this was a game I just simply couldn't get into.
I think we finally agree on nulling a popular game for once. :v:

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

Confrontation - Nobody has heard of this game because it's a completely utterly terrible Dawn of War 2 ripoff. It's full of unforgivable bugs, like your party members being unable to path around each other, or a member running up to an enemy and forgetting what skill you asked them to do. This will be like 2 bucks in the upcoming sale and you should stay the hell away.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Beat: Dishonored. Well, I should perhaps say 'half-beat', I did a high chaos run of me really just rolling with it as things came, which eventually turned into just a straight-up bloodbath with an overuse of powers and little thought to stealth in the last few missions.. I was always going to play this again, but I'm gonna have to play it a second time really soon. In large part because I can't disappoint Samuel the Boatman :(.

Seriously, this game is great. One of the best stealth games I've ever played in terms of balancing stealth and action, and actually rewarding the former (or punishing the lack of it). It felt a bit short, though, I was expecting a couple more missions after the betrayal but before the finale. I feel like it was probably intended to have you deal with High Overseer Martin and Lord Pendleton in their own missions, rather than bunched in o the last one like that. Better than having a game that's too short than a game that's too long though, I suppose. Especially when you actually succeed in giving it replay value, if just for a second runthrough.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Better than having a game that's too short than a game that's too long though, I suppose. Especially when you actually succeed in giving it replay value, if just for a second runthrough.

Games with good replay value I think work best with a short game. Alpha Protocol is great because of this - high replay value and a relatively short game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Finished: The Walking Dead but not really because 400 days comes out this week!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Beat: Darksiders For a game that's really just "Zelda + GoW + Warhammer + Vaguely Revelation Inspired Imagery", this turned out pretty swell. Took forever for me to get into it until I started playing with a controller, though.

Started the sequel today and drat if it isn't off to a good start. I'm beginning to see why this series seems to have a pretty strong goon fandom.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Finished Deus Ex HR and Trenched in the past month. Trenched was quite annoying to finish, but that's more on me for playing on my own instead of co-op.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
Beat: Limbo. I didn't like it, another artsy indie platformer that start off interesting but end in timed puzzles.
Beat: Splinter Cell: Conviction. It seems to remove almost all of the stealth near the end and pushes it into "Shooter where you die in three hits" territory.
Nulled: Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops. It speaks volumes about me that I decided to impulse buy this crap on sale when I already have so many other games to play, and at the half way point it just becomes to frustrating.

Not bad for a weekend, right?

Edit Nulled: Hard Reset. It's a fun game, but the enemies just turn into bullet sponges and your weapons never really get any better.

A Miserable Robot fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 7, 2013

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

Thomas Was Alone - Nice and easy platformer about getting shapes where you need them to be. Every level comes with a little bit of exposition that gives the characters a lot of personality. The narrator kind of got a little children's-tv-presenter at times but I think that added to its charm.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Blocks that Matter: This was a pretty good puzzle platformer. I spent the extra time to get all the blocks that matter, but not all the stars, on the original levels.

Nulled - Gratuitous Space Battles: Not for me.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

BEAT: The Oil Blue

I got all the way to rank 2, and according to the game rank 1 is just a title, so I'm calling this one beat. Quite fun and addictive, but by the end of it I felt like I'd pretty much solved the game (fully upgraded pumpjacks!) and was just kind of going through the motions waiting until I had enough money for my last ranks. I think the game could be paced a bit more thoughtfully, but I got a lot of enjoyment from it regardless, and I certainly didn't anticipate getting as good at it as I did.

BEAT: Ys Origin

So I beat this with Yunica on Normal Mode a long time ago, really enjoyed it, then started a 'Nightmare' game as Hugo. Here's two things I'm never doing again- 1: Playing this game on 'Nightmare' difficulty. 2: Playing this game as loving Hugo. Besides the sheer novelty of Hugo being a hilarious rear end in a top hat of a protagonist for 95% of the game, he's incredibly slow, weaker than Yunica, and functionally horrible to play as because he shoots magic bullets instead of doing melee attacks, but you need to run in the direction of the thing you have to shoot, you can't simply aim him with the other analog stick- so most of the game is made artificially difficult out of figuring out ways of finagling him to get a shot on something. This is made exponentially worse in Nightmare mode where you are forced to grind for extended periods of time in order to do anything more than piss damage on bosses, and you're unable to afford most character upgrades because you get poo poo-all for crystal bucks.

It was bad, bad, bad. I couldn't stop, though, because I was over half of the way through before things really started becoming a slog, and I was determined to beat it. Well I loving did, after a bunch of tries, I beat the final boss with 15 HP left right before he was going to blast my rear end with an unblockable beam. gently caress that- playing Normal mode from now on, and thankfully Toal seems to be a lot of fun and plays more like Yunica.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
My war on indie crap games that I never should have bought in the first place continues. Now with the added bonus of kinda coming close to enjoying some.

Beat - Closure : Fairly simple puzzle platformer. Movement dictated by which portions of the screen are illuminated by little balls of light that you carry around. Ended up playing it a surprising 6 hours, coming within a level or two of beating the game before getting really annoyed as how hard some of the levels got. And for some reason my gamepad wouldn't calibrate properly when playing it - constantly wanting to sloooowly creep to the left even when trying to stand still. Got annoying as Hell when precision was required.

Beat - Necrovision : Look up "janky Eastern European first person shooter" in the dictionary. Was more or less fun, but at times just absurd. Not the worst game I've played, but far from being memorable. Ever wanted to start a game in WWI and end up fighting a demon in Hell? Here you go.

Nulled - Helldorado : Emphasis on the Hell part. An awful western themed mess. Months ago I installed it while drunk, played it for ten minutes and uninstalled it. I tried again sober. Drunk Beatnik had the idea.

Nulled - Offspring Fling! : Silly little platform game that I installed to get cards. Gather up your babies and get them to the escape door. Seems to have 100 levels. I did 45 or so before getting bored. OK game, but just not much to it, and not nearly interesting enough to try to do levels faster to unlock more.

Maybe Later - Puddle : Played too many platform type games at the same time. Decent looking liquid physics puzzle platform type thing, but not interesting enough to make me care right now. Enjoyed the 20 minutes or so that I played.

Nulled - Rip / Rip 2 Strike Back / Rip 3 The Last Hero : Just some low budger top down shoot everything that moves type games. Played one for 20 minutes. Nulling all three. More awful indie bundle crap. Might have been fun in 1996.

Nulled - Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops : Jesus Christ. Terrible 3rd person shooter. It's like Spec Ops : The Line's idiot brother. Metascore of 34 and it deserved it. Actually come close to finishing it but quit 7 hours in. I had punished myself enough by that point.

Maybe Later - Snapshot : Another victim of my platformer overload. Kinda fun, with an interesting twist. Played for 90 minutes, and will likely re-visit someday.

Nulled - Star Wolves 3 : Civil War : Space based strategy sim. No drat thanks.

Nulled - Vigil : Blood Bitterness : Looked terrible. Is terrible. And apparently needs to be run in windowed mode to work right in Windows 7. Go away.

Beat - Walking Dead : 400 Days : Oh Hell yes. A bit short, but I liked it a lot. Will likely buy future installments on day of release without hesitation.

Added to backlog : Fortix, They Bleed Pixels, and Defender's Quest. (drat you, trading cards.)

Uninstalled, not played category sitting at 81 titles.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 8, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, good news and bad new. Bad news is, I got another timesink game. Good news is, it was a gift. Bad news is, I specifically requested it.

Good news is, it's Rogue Legacy, so I know I'm going to enjoy it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

and Defender's Quest. (drat you, trading cards.)
You'll enjoy this one!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bowmore posted:

You'll enjoy this one!

Yeah - I put over 110 hours into Defense Grid. All signs point to me liking this one as well.

After running through 25 or so indie crap games in the last few weeks, I think I'm gonna install some AAA title next though and just look at the pretty graphics before the sale starts.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Nulled - Dead Island
Enough alcohol can easily get me through any bad action game, but this is more like an RPG with all the fun sucked out and I have no idea what to do for that.

After two hours of fetch quests and punching zombies I broke down and just installed the Fist of the North Star mod.

Nulled - Miasmata
Basically + horrifying mental problems.

Really enjoyed the couple of hours I played, it's just a game about finding secrets on a huge island and I'm putting it aside until I have time to do it justice.

Beat - Don't Starve
The gameplay is halfway to a skinner box, but it's so imaginatively done that it makes up for it. I'm over it now that I've reduced the gameplay down to flowchart levels, but when the game was equal parts exploring, figuring out how to survive, and stupidly loving myself over it was pretty damned great.

Beat - Batman: Arkham Asylum
Solid, but nowhere near as good as I was expecting. Overall too easy and the villain fights (especially the two I was really looking forward to) were disappointing or basically boiled down to QTEs.

Beat - FC3: Blood Dragon
A bad shooter mixed with :razz:the eighties:razz:. Still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Beat - Serious Sam 3
Not a lot of surprises here, there's a handful of good additions and a few terrible ones but it's still Serious Sam. Starts off pretty slow but fun as ever, really.

Screwed my backlog over though because I loving love me some Serious Sam games and had to go on a serious run through the old ones and kill a million dudes. TSE still owns, TFE still as dickish and tedious towards the end as always.

next: Necrovision, Bulletstorm

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Darksiders 2: Beaten: I don't remember much about the original Darksiders, other than thinking it was fun but derivative, and Darksiders 2 is much the same, but slightly worse. I enjoyed the hacky-slashy combat quite a bit, but I didn't care about the story and thought almost every dungeon dragged too long, and the game as a whole overstayed its welcome. I stopped bothering with most sidequests and item hunting halfway through and it still took me 30 hours to finish (including the DLCs, which were fine but added nothing particularly interesting). All in all, gets a big meh.

The Cave: Beaten: Finished it twice, so I've seen most of what it has to offer. I like a lot of this game, the concept, the setting, the narration, and the little vignettes about each character. But it kinda comes apart at the gameplay level. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had some kind of 'teleport my buddies to me unless they're trapped' button. It does do it at certain points but not frequently enough, and dragging all three characters through the same sequences gets tiresome, especially since you're intended to beat the game, what, 5 times? And they go up and down ladders and ropes so slowly. :( It'd also be nice to be able to skip or streamline the sections that are the same in every run once you've played them once. I originally intended to play the game to 100% completion, but the longer I go without playing, the less interest I have in the idea.

Brutal Legend: Completed: I liked this a lot more than I was expecting, bothered to get 100%. The whole thing was pretty original. I wikipedia'd afterward and was impressed by the voice cast and the design of the characters compared to their real-world counterparts. Although, I kinda wish Jennifer Hale hadn't voiced the love interest. For some reason, ever since Mass Effect, if I immediately recognize her voice, which I do most of the time, it kinda ruins my immersion? I don't know, it's a weird irrational quirk of mine. The gameplay was mediocre but serviceable, the RTS bits kind of a snore. I didn't need much strategy during those segments, just sorta ran around with whatever units I felt like spawning in and never had an issue with any of them.

Rogue Legacy: Completed: I was sorta hoping this would be the next Binding of Isaac for me (still my most played game on steam by over 50 hours), and it's not, but I liked it for what it was. I did three playthroughs, enough to unlock all the equipment, runes, and achievements, and called it done. It got kind of samey but there's something charming and fun about it that keeps you going. It's also very easy to pick up and put down for short gaming sessions or if you're sitting around watching junk on Netflix or Youtube.

Currently Playing: Assassin's Creed 3. I'm three missions in and already getting annoyed with the bullshit full sync requirements, so I think I'm going to skip them for my sanity. It's kind of boring and climbing stuff (my favorite part of an AC game) in Boston doesn't thrill me a bunch... and knowing how it was received I'm not expecting much, but I grabbed it for 13 bucks on Amazon and I'm a fan of the series so I figured I might as well give it a go. It kinda runs like poop on my aging computer, but that's not too surprising. So far the highlight is petting as many different animals as I can find - also hilarious because half the time the animation breaks and Haytham puts his hand inside or ten feet away from what he's petting. Wanna pet a pig.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

PUKED posted:

Nulled - Miasmata
Basically + horrifying mental problems.

This really is the best description of the game. It's the most realistic "you got sick because you tripped over a mound of dirt" simulator ever made.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I didn't progress much in the last few months. Two new games: Europa Universalis IV and Knights of Pen and Paper +1, plus a few bits of DLC.

MASTERED: Dungeon Defenders. I've done it all. Every achievement unlocked, every campaign map and challenge completed. I do enjoy this game, but it is ridiculously grindy. It was a lot more fun once I started using cheat programs; I could just find one good drop and copy it as many times as I wanted. I think I'll give DD2 a miss, though.

COMPLETED: Trine II. In gameplay terms, this game is virtually identical to the first but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much; don't know why. This is why I didn't buy the Goblin Menace DLC. A piece of advice for anyone who plans to play it in future: Don't turn on hardcore mode until you can do a New Game+ run. Hardcore mode is virtually impossible without several level-ups under your belt.

MASTERED (again): Mass Effect I. This was my eighth play-through; I wanted to try out the Sentinel class and skip the romance options. Harder than I thought; turns out Liara is incapable of recognizing anything but the bluntest of rejections. Kaidan gets the idea far quicker.

NULLED: Europa Universalis III. The new and much better sequel comes out in a few months, I'll just wait for that. Hopefully EUIV makes playing the Inca Empire much more enjoyable than EUIII did.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The mad pre-sale backlog push continues. aka "LOL I'm barely even playing these things!"

Beat - Anna Extended Edition : Wanted to like it, but it wasn't that good. Amnesia Dark Descent light at best. An hour or so in I just went to a walkthough and finished it that way. Or got to about 90% of the way through before a glitch made some magic spooky door not appear where it was supposed to, so I left a haunted house and triggered one of multiple endings. If you really really liked Amnesia I'd recommend this, but not otherwise.

Nulled - Aquaria
: I'll just copy another goon's review here. "truly a deep and complex exploration based game with clever writing and ahhahhahaahahhahhahahhahaha just kidding! its poo poo, mate" Pretty graphics, but I don't really care to be a little Anime sea monkey riding around on a seahorse.

Maybe later - Beat Hazard : If I still smoked pot a tenth as much as I used to I'd play the poo poo out this. May go back to it some day to kill some time. Fun, but didn't really seem to be a lot to it other than tunes, shooting endless bad guys and hoping someone's around when the epilepsy kicks in. Probably a lot better if I listened to a different type of music too.

Maybe later - Bit Trip Runner : Much like Super Meat Boy and VVVVVVVV to me. Fun, but I'm terrible at them. Liked it, and like the music, but I'm really really bad at this type of thing. Games shouldn't make me swear so much. Scares the cat. Will likely break this back out someday, play it for a bit, and think "Ohhhh yeah. That's why I uninstalled it."

Nulled - Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars : Point and click adventure game where you solve a mystery. Zzzzzzzz. Even using a walkthough I quit after 40 minutes when I realized I just didn't give a crap who murdered who.

Beat - Fortix : Ha ha. They spelled "Qix" wrong. I think this cost $1. It was fun enough, and only took an hour to go through the story on easy mode. I'm old enough to remember Qix in the arcade. (I'm old enough to remember arcades.)

Nulled - Men of War / Men of War : Red Tide
: RTS strategy type things. Not really my cup of tea, and I have enough of them that are way better. Some hilariously bad voice acting though.

Maybe Later - Oil Rush : What would appear to be a good RTS game. Nice graphics, and a very Waterworld post-apocalpytic setting. Will play this the next time I get an urge to play an RTS game.

Beat - Proteus : Sigh. Too artsy for me I guess. Relaxing though? Maybe. I walked around, the seasons changed. Eventually I think I walked or ascended into the Aurora Borealis? The very definition of a bundle game to me.

Maybe later - Shank 2 : I liked Shank. Played through the story once and enjoyed knifing the crap out of hundreds of guys. I assumed this was more of the same, and I was right. Not really in the mood though. Have played way too many games like this lately, and got frustrated early on. I'll stab you guys another time.

Maybe later - Toki Tori : Seriously, platformers. That's enough. Jump around. Collect the eggs. I get it. Just not now.

Still playing and will just leave installed as mindless timekillers - iBomber Defense Pacific (Flight Control HD as a tower defense game, I guess.) and Puzzle Dimension.

"Uninstalled - not played" category at a miniscule 69 titles.
Bring on the sale.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I have recently picked up a PS3, Vita and 3DS despite having a large PC/NDS backlog and spent some time bringing my backlog on HLTB current:

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/user.php?n=parker&s=games&c=list_backlog

I didn't include anything multiplayer or any open ended RTS/strategy type games, and left out dozens (hundreds?) of Steam games that I have bought and decided I'm not really interested in playing. I mostly keep my PC hooked up to a TV and play with a 360 controller these days.

I generally only have about 30-45 minutes a day to play games, a little bit more on weekends. It's going to take me something like 14 years :stare: to play through this current list of games, although I likely won't actually try to get through all of those JRPGs for the DS.

I knew that I had already bought a lot of games that I had not yet played but I continued to read gaming deals sites and the Steam thread, etc. and have been picking up used PS3 games lately as I try to catch up on PlayStation exclusives from the past 10 years.

Setting up the backlog on HLTB really put things into context for me and I don't see any way I can continue to justify buying games when I already own so many, even if I just focus on the games that I really want to play and didn't just buy because they were cheap.

I impulse preordered GTA V the other day after watching the gameplay video but I think it's time to cancel that, pull the plug on gaming news/deals sites for a while and just enjoy playing a little bit of my existing games when I have time.

I've read through the OP, any tips on making a dent in the backlog other than trying to limit myself to only playing 1-2 games at a time? Any rules of thumb on when to give up on a game vs. trying to stick it out to the end?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like to have three games going: a short game, a long-ish game, and a game that really can't be beat like a sandbox game. If a game stops being fun, just stop playing it and look up a youtube or wikipedia page. There's no point wasting your time when you're not enjoying yourself.

I find that handheld RPGs are fast becoming my favorite type of game because I can play them at any time and they're great for playing in bed as I'm trying to fall asleep. I just can't play super long games on console anymore. PC is a little easier because I have two monitors and flip flop, but playing big games "on the couch" just doesn't work anymore. I'm slowly working through Ni no Kuni and that may be the last big console game I play for the year.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Is the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass DLC multiplayer stuff only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Is the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass DLC multiplayer stuff only?

There is no mplayer last I heard. It just for upcoming dlc that single player.