Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

THC posted:

It would be funny if instead of a visit from the Prime Minister Himself and 500 of Her Majesty's Finest Fighting Men they had got an army of private sector beancounters to make sure Nenshi and Redford haven't been embezzling the disaster relief funds. Then they'd be like "yeah there's a few irregularities here" and then the editorial board of every newspaper could tut-tut at the calgarians for being so irresponsible and castigate them for whining about old grievances. Meanwhile anyone who doesn't have an amphibious vehicle to escape in gets to sit all cold and clammy and waiting for relief that will never come
Throw in some thinly-veiled racism about Nenshi's "cultural" dispositions and you've got yourself a deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

THC posted:

It would be funny if instead of a visit from the Prime Minister Himself and 500 of Her Majesty's Finest Fighting Men they had got an army of private sector beancounters to make sure Nenshi and Redford haven't been embezzling the disaster relief funds. Then they'd be like "yeah there's a few irregularities here" and then the editorial board of every newspaper could tut-tut at the calgarians for being so irresponsible and castigate them for whining about old grievances. Meanwhile anyone who doesn't have an amphibious vehicle to escape in gets to sit all cold and clammy and waiting for relief that will never come
Turnabout is fair play.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Entropic posted:

The Debaters isn't terrible, but if I never hear This Is That again it will be too soon.

The Irrelevant Show is amateur hour too. CBC, you used to be good at this? What happened?

I like The Debaters and Wiretap. All the other comedy shows make me immediately turn off the radio.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The Saturday Comedy hour is great. I like to listen to it when I am traveling. Makes the boring drive in Alberta much easier to deal with.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Christ, least he could do is zip the jacket up over his Snickers-gut. Look at his disrespect for the uniform. :mad:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Entropic posted:

I just have vague fond memories of weekend comedy shows on CBC radio 1 that weren't awful.

Hey now, The Debators is awesome. Especially if that episode has Jon Steinberg in it. Good lord he's amusing, particularly in that format. And Steve Patterson stringing a line of puns together never gets old.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahahhaa that picture of him looking out the window at the damage you can SO TELL he basically asked the reporter to make him look like GWB only MORE MILITARY

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Supplanter posted:

I like The Debaters and Wiretap. All the other comedy shows make me immediately turn off the radio.

I love Wiretap, but I tend not to think of it in the category of 'comedy show', though I guess it is.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The much-beleaguered car drivers of Vancouver have had enough of the city's unaccountable behaviour and are setting up their own town hall. Open to all who can afford a $14 entree.

quote:

Some Vancouver residents are holding their own community meeting to voice their objections to a city proposal to build a protected bike lane along a busy corridor.

In May, the city introduced a plan to revamp the traffic corridor that links downtown with West Point Grey's Jericho Beach, along Cornwall Avenue and Point Grey Road in Kitsilano.

Locals who aren't on board with the proposal are meeting tonight at the Sunset Grill on York Avenue to discuss a strategy for bringing their objections to the city.

Duane Nickull, who ran as a Conservative candidate in the recent provincial election, said there are many different voices that all agree on one major sticking point in the plan.

"The main one that has people up in arms is to close down traffic to build a bike route parallel to an existing bike route, [which is] two blocks away ... on 3rd Avenue."

Nickull said the city's green vision may be guiding planners to close streets to traffic and add bike paths instead, but there's no proof that doing so will get more cyclists to use the route.

"My concerns ... are that they're forging ahead without doing the proper research and data," he said.

Jerry Dobrovolny, the city's director of transportation, said encouraging sustainable transportation is definitely a goal, but the plan also targets reducing the potential for accidental injury or death.

"We have, according to ICBC data, some of the highest cycling collision locations in the city along that route, along Cornwall," he said. "So it's to move us towards our city-wide goals of improving and increasing walking, cycling and transit, and also to improve safety."

Nickull, who says he's a cyclist, said he couldn't find evidence of a single reported crash between a cyclist and a car on Point Grey Road, which is about half of the stretch being altered in the plan, when he looked at ICBC's crash data.

"You know, I'm not for the bike lane, I'm not against the bike lane. What I am against is spending taxpayer money without due diligence and due course of an investigation," he said.

Dobrovolny says the city is still looking at the plan and consulting with stakeholders.

Since January, there have been six open houses with over 1,000 people attending the last three, he said. City representatives have also had about 50 individual meetings with residents and community groups to share information.

Dobrovolny said the plan isn't a done deal, and the public consultation process continues. City staff are slated to make a final recommendation and provide a cost estimate for the plan later this summer.

"Ultimately, council will decide," he said.

There has been an extensive planning process, numerous public consultations, and overwhelming support for the plan. But in the parallel reality of Point Grey, the city has failed to do its 'due diligence' and is 'imposing its will' on the hard working tax paying majority. The cost! The insanity! :bahgawd:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 24, 2013

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Having seen the kinds of crazies who show up at a local ward meeting to complain loudly about a relatively minor plan to re-orient some stop signs to slow traffic and encourage a bike / pedestrian corridor, I can only imagine what city council meetings for major bike lane additions in a big city look like.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

THC posted:

The much-beleaguered car drivers of Vancouver have had enough of the city's unaccountable behaviour and are setting up their own town hall. Open to all who can afford a $14 entree.

There has been an extensive planning process, numerous public consultations, and overwhelming support for the plan. But in the parallel reality of Point Grey, the city has failed to do its 'due diligence' and is 'imposing its will' on the hard working tax paying majority. The cost! The insanity! :bahgawd:

Considering the land values around Cornwall I am honestly shocked it wasn't $140 per plate.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Christ, least he could do is zip the jacket up over his Snickers-gut. Look at his disrespect for the uniform. :mad:

Harper does that all the time:

[G8 Summit 2013 Press Conference]

Everybody knows you're supposed to button your jacket when you stand up! :mad:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Harper does that all the time:

[G8 Summit 2013 Press Conference]

Everybody knows you're supposed to button your jacket when you stand up! :mad:

Man does that photo look surreal. The ten of them up on that little stage, no accompanying staff or onlooker or photographers, the weird castle and mix of foreboding clouds. It's quite a shot.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Dolash posted:

Man does that photo look surreal. The ten of them up on that little stage, no accompanying staff or onlooker or photographers, the weird castle and mix of foreboding clouds. It's quite a shot.

I assume Harper is photoshopped in because obviously he'd be off taking a piss during that photo, right?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Considering the land values around Cornwall I am honestly shocked it wasn't $140 per plate.

To be fair, I'm sure plenty of the 'homeowners' will be highly house rich, cash poor.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dolash posted:

The platform and their stances make them seem like a row of action figures on a display.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Lexicon posted:

To be fair, I'm sure plenty of the 'homeowners' will be highly house rich, cash poor.

Have you seen the kind of houses there? They start at 5 million, easy. You don't buy something like that with a poorly thought out mortgage and an RRSP downpayment.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Well this is interesting. Abacus has decided that they'll no longer be asking a follow-up "well who are you leaning towards" question to voters who identify themselves as undecided, and they'll just be reporting those first question results as-is. They say this is as a result of their post-mortem on the BC election.
Their first poll breaks down LPC 23/CPC 21/NDP 21/UND 21, and LPC 23/CPC 22/NDP 21/UND 20 with their turnout model.

Going strictly on my gut, I like this. The canadian electorate is really fluid, and undecided voters are probably much more likely to be genuinely undecided and switch from one party to the next than they would be in other countries like the US. It's probably more useful to think of the electorate as three roughly evenly divided bases of support with a pool of voter up for grabs than as a wildly fluctuating entity.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm really curious now how that would affect recent federal polling retroactively. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 20-30% of hardcore Conservative supporters hasn't changed at all since all the scandals, and the only 'swing' that's taken place is that undecided voters went from leaning Harper to leaning Trudeau, but are still undecided.

That being said, I have a strong feeling that this will end up with every poll being exactly identical, and make any kind of forecast impossible, because the blocs of decided voters don't change, and undecideds may just stay undecided right up until election day. So today, with an election two years away, we'll get a 20/20/20/20 breakdown, then two years from now we'll get a 20/20/20/20 breakdown, then on day one of the election we'll get a 20/20/20/20 breakdown, and then the day before election day we'll get a 20/20/20/20 breakdown, and we will have learned so much about the Canadian electorate.

I mean, I get the idea of trying to represent the way the electorate will vote more accurately, that should be the job of any poll. But we may well end up getting the same results as just not having polls at all, because undecideds shifting one way or the other is basically the only thing that matters in politics when all the partisans are as partisan as ever, and just deciding not to try and determine that at all because it's too hard seems like a step backwards.

edit: Also, the right wingers over at the NP comments section are eating each other alive on the matter of whether or not it's right for Alison Redford to run Alberta into a deficit in order to pay for disaster relief, or whether the people who built/bought houses on a flood plain when insurance wouldn't cover floods should just suck it up in true conservative economic Darwinist fashion. The amount of cognitive dissonance present in those who are saying "No time for playing politics, people are in need and we should help them!" when it's rich white Albertans who are in need for a disaster that's clearly not their fault, but who may be the first to turn on poor minorities for being poor, and question why their taxes should be spent to bail out those lazy irresponsible people, is astounding.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 25, 2013

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Fine-able Offense posted:

Also, do you really think deploying the Army to a reserve would play well with... anybody? I mean, come on.

Sssh.

You're killing the mood.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The feds should have sent immediate emergency relief, just as they have done in response to the disasters in Alberta. They should not have presumed wrongdoing by the victims and demanded to see their ledgers before sending relief. I wasn't really suggesting they should have responded in exactly the same way to different emergencies, I was comparing their response to the emergency in Alberta to those in the reserves. But in terms of sheer ethics, sending military personnel with foodstuffs and shelters would have been a vastly superior action to the one they took.

vyelkin posted:

edit: Also, the right wingers over at the NP comments section are eating each other alive on the matter of whether or not it's right for Alison Redford to run Alberta into a deficit in order to pay for disaster relief, or whether the people who built/bought houses on a flood plain when insurance wouldn't cover floods should just suck it up in true conservative economic Darwinist fashion. The amount of cognitive dissonance present in those who are saying "No time for playing politics, people are in need and we should help them!" when it's rich white Albertans who are in need for a disaster that's clearly not their fault, but who may be the first to turn on poor minorities for being poor, and question why their taxes should be spent to bail out those lazy irresponsible people, is astounding.
Reminder that the only reason Alberta is in deficit now is because they have a single income tax bracket and no sales tax. Their fiscal issues would be solved overnight with two simple measures.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 25, 2013

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

THC posted:

Reminder that the only reason Alberta is in deficit now is because they have a single income tax bracket and no sales tax. Their fiscal issues would be solved overnight with two simple measures.

Sales taxes are regressive, though. You're better off tweaking the income tax brackets more or adding some sort of super profits tax (or an oil sands industry tax!) than a sales tax.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Redford might be crafty enough to get away with implementing a tax of some sort. After all 1 billion dollars has to come from somewhere.

Maybe she can sell it like the GST and then just not remove it.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Sales taxes are regressive, though. You're better off tweaking the income tax brackets more or adding some sort of super profits tax (or an oil sands industry tax!) than a sales tax.

Yeah, but this is Alberta. The reason they don't have a sales tax isn't because it's regressive.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

THC posted:

The feds should have sent immediate emergency relief, just as they have done in response to the disasters in Alberta. They should not have presumed wrongdoing by the victims and demanded to see their ledgers before sending relief. I wasn't really suggesting they should have responded in exactly the same way to different emergencies, I was comparing their response to the emergency in Alberta to those in the reserves. But in terms of sheer ethics, sending military personnel with foodstuffs and shelters would have been a vastly superior action to the one they took.

Isn't the reserve a really sensitive issue? I'm fairly sure we would have seen an outcry from the same people of the military arriving on reserves as an "inappropriate and excessive action on the Canadian government."

Of course, I get what you're saying about the body bags. Just not good PR.

E: Sales tax is better than income tax, what are you talking about?

quaint bucket fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 25, 2013

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well this is interesting. Abacus has decided that they'll no longer be asking a follow-up "well who are you leaning towards" question to voters who identify themselves as undecided, and they'll just be reporting those first question results as-is. They say this is as a result of their post-mortem on the BC election.
Their first poll breaks down LPC 23/CPC 21/NDP 21/UND 21, and LPC 23/CPC 22/NDP 21/UND 20 with their turnout model.

A friend of mine seems to be on a pollster spam list and gets phoned all the time. She's taken up poisoning the results as a hobby.

I wonder how many others there are like her.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Wasn't she laying the ground work for some sort of tax increase before the flood? I remember the weird little "balance the budget" game where you could implement a ton of heinous and awful cuts, or raise taxes a tiny amount.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

THC posted:

The Alberta government was expecting more oil & gas industry royalties and that is why the province is in deficit. Technically Alberta has two income tax brackets and the number of tax brackets is largely irrelevent. A 1% sales tax would cover the current deficit. The province is expected to break out of the deficit in the next 1-2 years.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quaint bucket posted:

Isn't the reserve a really sensitive issue? I'm fairly sure we would have seen an outcry from the same people of the military arriving on reserves as an "inappropriate and excessive action on the Canadian government."
Again, not saying military was the right course of action in the reserves, im saying if the feds treated Calgary like they treat aboriginals they would have hired KPMG to audit the city's finances before sending any actual help.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

quaint bucket posted:

What do you mean by this? Sales tax is regressive, as lower income households must spend a higher percentage of their income to simply survive than higher income households. As a result, they wind up paying a larger percentage of their income in taxes than a higher income family.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

While the government's actions there were indefensible I don't know how you can compare a reserve with a city of over a million people.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

THC posted:

Yeah, and we're charging loving nothing in oil revenues to boot. Sales tax would be dumb, but income tax brackets are a goddamned necessity. It wouldn't even sacrifice that precious Alberta Advantage you hear people talk about only at election time.

quaint bucket posted:

No, income tax is totally the way to go. While any sales tax Alberta would implement would be less regressive than your generic theoretical sales tax and we'd probably score a discount on it since the Feds could administer it through the GST system I think, income tax is still the way to go. Extra brackets plus higher capital gains will hit the multitude of very high income earners who realistically won't leave because they can't really take the oil sands with them. And for the record, I'm probably one of those people that would get hit by such a tax.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Faux Shoah posted:

While the government's actions there were indefensible I don't know how you can compare a reserve with a city of over a million people.

What was invalid about the comparison THC made?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So the Daily Show just told millions of Americans that Canada's banking system is perfect, and that we all love our bankers like they were a part of our own families.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Faux Shoah posted:

Is there some sort of population cutoff before an area is considered worthy of assistance?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Is there some sort of population cutoff before an area is considered worthy of assistance?

n+1, where n is the number of people living on whatever is currently the most populous First Nations reserve in Canada.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

Obviously the reserve warranted assistance too but to criticize the scale of the response to a disaster in one of Canada's largest cities compared with a reserve of under 1000 people is more than a little ridiculous.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

So the Daily Show just told millions of Americans that Canada's banking system is perfect, and that we all love our bankers like they were a part of our own families.

Pfft, I don't even have a "banker", I have an account at a bank. The last time I dealt with anyone regarding my account was when I set it up seven years ago.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Faux Shoah posted:

Obviously the reserve warranted assistance too but to criticize the scale of the response to a disaster in one of Canada's largest cities compared with a reserve of under 1000 people is more than a little ridiculous.

So they should have sent a proportionally larger amount of auditors and body bags to Calgary? I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Faux Shoah posted:

THC was criticizing the character of the response in Attawapiskat, not the scale. Though to be fair, there's really no (or at least very limited) way for even the craziest small-government conservative to blame "your town was suddenly half-drowned by torrential rains" on the victims' mismanagement, whereas a slow-burning housing crisis can be spun that way if one is inclined to try.

It's kind of apples-to-oranges I think: a better analogy is probably the Quebec flood response compare/contrast that was posted by OSI bean dip last page. (I suppose one could theoretically chalk that up to racism too!).

edit: or alternatively, check if anyone is sending auditors instead of aid to Siksika or Tsuu T'ina.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 25, 2013

• Locked thread