Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

root posted:

I finally got around to checking out Giannis Milonogiannis' Tumblr and holy crap this guy is amazing... And the hardcover volume 1 of Old City Blues is on sale for ten bux!

And apparently when Giannis isn't busy drawing gorgeous comics he's teaching himself how to make vidja gaems

I bought the first volume of OCB and it was great. He's got a real awesome style. If you really like his work, you should also check out the series Prophet from Image. He's done a few issues now and his pages are really fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

7744 posted:

I bought the first volume of OCB and it was great. He's got a real awesome style. If you really like his work, you should also check out the series Prophet from Image. He's done a few issues now and his pages are really fantastic.

He's also writing the second book of Old City Blues, should be out sometime 2013 I think.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I don't really know where BOOM! Studios resides in the big/small publisher spectrum so I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but I picked up Six-Gun Gorilla on a whim.

The premise is wonky and somewhere between Thunderdome and Starship Troopers as of issue #1. I'm diggin' the art style a lot, and while the overall writing is decent, the heavy use of southern/western character accents written as such in dialogues is a bit grating. Also the titular character is barely to be seen in the first issue.

Looking forward to the full run, but it could be great or flop badly depending on where the story goes.

edit: Apparently the character of Six-Gun Gorilla is not new/original. He showed up in an old pulp magazine in the UK called Wizard, around the time of WWII. The stories are in the public domain, and someone collected them into PDF form.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 21, 2013

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I don't really know where BOOM! Studios resides in the big/small publisher spectrum so I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but I picked up Six-Gun Gorilla on a whim.

The premise is wonky and somewhere between Thunderdome and Starship Troopers as of issue #1. I'm diggin' the art style a lot, and while the overall writing is decent, the heavy use of southern/western character accents written as such in dialogues is a bit grating. Also the titular character is barely to be seen in the first issue.

Looking forward to the full run, but it could be great or flop badly depending on where the story goes.

edit: Apparently the character of Six-Gun Gorilla is not new/original. He showed up in an old pulp magazine in the UK called Wizard, around the time of WWII. The stories are in the public domain, and someone collected them into PDF form.

Yeah, I bought the first issue and haven't read it yet but was floored by the whole idea that they picked up this great public domain pulp character and turned it into a wild comic. Kind of a bummer that the first issue was solicited as just #1, but subsequent issues are being solicited as (of 6) :(

AmericanBarbarian posted:

He's also writing the second book of Old City Blues, should be out sometime 2013 I think.

Thanks for this heads up, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
Random Stranger mentioned this in the BSS Chat Thread and I thought it bears repeating here...

Random Stranger posted:

I didn't see any mention of it on this forum, so I might as well bring it up. Kim Thompson died on Wednesday. If you're not familiar with him, that's a shame. He was one of the major force behind Fantagraphics and a huge voice in comics journalism. He did an awful lot for the maturation of the medium and edited and published more incredible things than I can count.
You can find more write-ups, interviews, and tributes to Kim Thompson over on the Fantagraphics tumblr.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I somehow missed The Ubrella Academy which to me is just bizzare, how did I about this just like now? And from someone who said it was their first comic. I blame you guys, I totally blame you guys.

Locke and Key is finishing in the next 2 months and I am rereading the series, it sucks but man I wish this had gotten the television treatment on some place like AMC. :(. Has anyone seen the Pilot?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Hollis posted:

I somehow missed The Ubrella Academy which to me is just bizzare, how did I about this just like now? And from someone who said it was their first comic. I blame you guys, I totally blame you guys.

Locke and Key is finishing in the next 2 months and I am rereading the series, it sucks but man I wish this had gotten the television treatment on some place like AMC. :(. Has anyone seen the Pilot?

Man, Umbrella Academy is loving great, both books. I want more.

I too have been re-reading Locke & Key, which is also loving fantastic. I am so excited for the end, but also sad, because then there will be no more.

There's a trailer for the pilot here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4i1CzpztWY which certainly looks pretty interesting. I bet you could :filez: the whole thing somewhere though.

More recent news is that a movie trilogy is in the works: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/19/universal-backing-locke-key-feature-film/

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't completely love Orc Stain? Ages ago I read the first 2 or 3 issues, and loved it so much that I recommended it to countless friends, but just recently I sat down and read the TPB, and I got as far as issue 5 before the boredom became excruciating and I had to put it down. Stokoe is one of my favorite artists, and I cannot express how much I love the setting, premise, and world he's created (hence my appreciation of the first few issues), but I just don't care about any of his characters, the writing is flat - none of the characters have powerful voices to differentiate themselves - and I found myself unengaged by the storyline. Am I completely wrong? Tell me I am, I love Stokoe too much to dislike his work. :(

I did catch up on Saga and read Old City Blues recently and creamed my pants over both, however.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Qwo posted:

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't completely love Orc Stain? Ages ago I read the first 2 or 3 issues, and loved it so much that I recommended it to countless friends, but just recently I sat down and read the TPB, and I got as far as issue 5 before the boredom became excruciating and I had to put it down. Stokoe is one of my favorite artists, and I cannot express how much I love the setting, premise, and world he's created (hence my appreciation of the first few issues), but I just don't care about any of his characters, the writing is flat - none of the characters have powerful voices to differentiate themselves - and I found myself unengaged by the storyline. Am I completely wrong? Tell me I am, I love Stokoe too much to dislike his work. :(

I did catch up on Saga and read Old City Blues recently and creamed my pants over both, however.

I'm always in for Stokoe for his art first and foremost. I think the most enjoyable thing he's done, for me at least, has been Half Century War, but Orc Stain certainly kept me entertained. I would really love to see how he works with other people who aren't asshats like Mark Andrew Smith.

Also, is nobody talking about Boom buying Archaia yet? Because holy poo poo, that had to be paid for with Adventure Time money.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bowie is the only real character to speak of and she doesn't really have much depth either. The storyline isn't really the point, it's just a font for wildly creative art and insane world building.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Bowie is the only real character to speak of and she doesn't really have much depth either. The storyline isn't really the point, it's just a font for wildly creative art and insane world building.

And gronks. Don't forget the gronks.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Just wanted to remind everyone that Fatale started a new arc today and Lazarus came out.

Both are incredible.

(Jupiter's Legacy didn't do much for me this month. I liked it but some faces felt rushed toward the end.)

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I saw an ad for Glory volume 2 in this month's Prophet and I got really excited because I thought the series was coming back for another arc but it was just for the second trade :smith:

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Ooh, did anyone else pick up the new Rucka/Lark book? The first page almost put me to sleep but the rest is solid + kinda cool, if not hugely exciting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Adam Strange posted:

Ooh, did anyone else pick up the new Rucka/Lark book? The first page almost put me to sleep but the rest is solid + kinda cool, if not hugely exciting.

Do you mean Lazarus? The same team that I believe was on Gotham Central? Yes, yes I did and it was fantastic.

I'll tell you what's amazing. Prophet 36 holy shitballs, just such amazing art and science mumbo jumbo writing. I really am in love with Prophet.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I see a lot of people talking about Prophet and I notice there's a sale going on, but I'm a bit confused about the issues.

Comixology has #1-7 by Liefeld/Panosian and then it jumps to #21 by Graham/Roy. Was there a reboot or something? Is #21 where I should start if I were to jump into it now?

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 27, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

I see a lot of people talking about Prophet and I notice there's a sale going on, but I'm a bit confused about the issues.

Comixology has #1-7 by Liefeld and then it jumps to #21 by Graham. Was there a reboot done by Graham? Is that where I should start if I were to get into it?
Yes (kind of?) and yes.
http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=35719

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

Hollis posted:

Do you mean Lazarus? The same team that I believe was on Gotham Central? Yes, yes I did and it was fantastic.

Yeah, I don't think I was as taken with it as you were but Rucka is usually hit/miss for me (and I always, unfairly, think of him as "that other dude on Gotham Central") so we'll see how it ends up.

Comixology has #1-7 by Liefeld/Panosian and then it jumps to #21 by Graham/Roy. Was there a reboot or something? Is #21 where I should start if I were to jump into it now?

It was rebooted early last year with 21 so you can just jump in with that.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Dang, you're quick. You quoted me before I corrected my post and included the artists (something I need to get in the habit of doing). :arghfist::shobon:

Thanks for setting me straight so quickly, though! Even just previewing #21 had me interested after reading about it so much on the forums.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Dang, you're quick. You quoted me before I corrected my post and included the artists (something I need to get in the habit of doing). :arghfist::shobon:

Thanks for setting me straight so quickly, though! Even just previewing #21 had me interested after reading about it so much on the forums.

You should buy all of Graham's stuff in the sale. King City is 'king great!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

krakagar posted:

Man, Umbrella Academy is loving great, both books. I want more.

I too have been re-reading Locke & Key, which is also loving fantastic. I am so excited for the end, but also sad, because then there will be no more.

There's a trailer for the pilot here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4i1CzpztWY which certainly looks pretty interesting. I bet you could :filez: the whole thing somewhere though.

Nope, the actual pilot episode hasn't been leaked anywhere, and it probably won't be due to the movies. Its a shame, because I think Locke and Key would work much better as a TV show.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

Oh my, this is an understatement. Great, great book.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I just took a leap of faith last night and bought them all on sale on comixology. Yeah they're good. Kinda dark twisted sexual psychedelic space fantasy.

I got Herobear And The Kid Special #1 by Boom studios a few weeks ago, and I thought it was really really really really great. It's sort of a kid's comic in the way that Calvin and Hobbes was a kids comic.

Also I bought the first issues of Sex from Image. I didn't like it, mainly because I don't know why I should care about the main character and what the plot is. But it looks good, and I like a superhero on saturn story (or wherever it's set) but there just isn't a plot there for me right now.

edit: Also, is Fatale as great as it looks? And where is the best starting point? The beginning?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 29, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

I just took a leap of faith last night and bought them all on sale on comixology. Yeah they're good. Kinda dark twisted sexual psychedelic space fantasy.

I got Herobear And The Kid Special #1 by Boom studios a few weeks ago, and I thought it was really really really really great. It's sort of a kid's comic in the way that Calvin and Hobbes was a kids comic.

Also I bought the first issues of Sex from Image. I didn't like it, mainly because I don't know why I should care about the main character and what the plot is. But it looks good, and I like a superhero on saturn story (or wherever it's set) but there just isn't a plot there for me right now.

edit: Also, is Fatale as great as it looks? And where is the best starting point? The beginning?

I've stopped reading Fatale, but it is consistently excellent. It reads better in one sitting than in monthlies, which is what killed the series for me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I find Prophet and Glory really interesting as it's just a owner going, Yeah go nuts here and it's the same thing he did with Supreme telling Alan Moore to go nuts with it.

People complain about Liefield but that's kind of awesome. I mean these books very very vaguely have the same quasi characters in them but the tone writing art is so different that it's basically just another character entirely. They're the character in concept only. Prophet has some of the returning characters but even then very different characters.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

LordPants posted:

Yeah, it's dope. The beginning is the best starting point for sure, but if you're hesitant and buying digitally/floppies just give any issue from 11-14 a shot. They're all done-in-ones that show you what the series is like at its best.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LordPants posted:

I just powered through 1-14 over the weekend and it's really loving good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I was at a secondhand store and stumbled across a trade paperback I'd never heard of called NYC Mech. The back cover sounded pretty neat, and I paged through it and the artwork looked pretty cool, and it was like $5 so I figured I'd try it out. I haven't actually read it yet and I've got some other stuff I'll likely be reading first, so my question is, did I just waste $5?

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
The latest issue of Fatale was nuts. I was all "Holy poo poo" when I got to the last page and I haven't done that in a while. The one-shots were cool but I'm pumped for an arc again.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jupiter's Children is pretty much an irredeemable piece of poo poo by the second issue. But, just like with every other Millar comic from the past ten years, if you don't read any comics not written by Mark Millar, you may enjoy it (it doesn't even rip-offs any famous movies... yet!). Not even worth it for Quitely, he doesn't bring his A-game here.

It weirds me out how terrible Millar is at writing young characters. He is not really a cranky geezer, but the only people he writes with any kind of affection are elderly/paternalistic types.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Prophet's not in danger of being cancelled, is it? I'm catching up through trades and I don't want this to ever, ever end.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Wachter posted:

Prophet's not in danger of being cancelled, is it? I'm catching up through trades and I don't want this to ever, ever end.

I don't expect so, but Graham has said that he has an end point that's maybe 12 issues down the line from where we are now, give or take a few?

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

bairfanx posted:

I don't expect so, but Graham has said that he has an end point that's maybe 12 issues down the line from where we are now, give or take a few?

Yeah, around issue #45 is the end of the storyline.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I was always kind of under the impression that Image never really canceled anything. The people involved might stop doing it if the book is costing them money but as long as Image is getting their cut, they don't really care what the sales look like.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Image announced a poo poo load of new books yesterday and a lot of them look great! Basically every body who is or was big at Marvel for the last few years that isn't named Bendis has books coming out.

Probably most psyched about Southern Bastards by Jason Aaron and Jason Latour, but Brubaker is reteaming up with Steve Epting and Remender has multiple books coming out. The Dean White colours on it look amazing as expected.

Also JMS is going to poop all over some great Sienkiewicz work.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 3, 2013

Mar 27, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Image announced a poo poo load of new books yesterday and a lot of them look great! Basically every body who is or was big at Marvel for the last few years that isn't named Bendis has books coming out.

Probably most psyched about Southern Bastards by Jason Aaron and Jason Latour, but Brubaker is reteaming up with Steve Epting and Remender has multiple books coming out. The Dean White colours on it look amazing as expected.

Also JMS is going to poop all over some great Sienkiewicz work.

Both of those Remender series are loving right up my alley in big ways. Image really excites me and makes me look forward to the future like no other publisher.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
ODY-C by Fraction and Ward sounds pretty cool so I'm excited to see what that looks like.

Also, I wonder what Millar means when he says a “Marvel Universe for the 21st Century,”. I mean it's not like there isn't a Marvel universe in the 21st Century, maybe he's going to do a crossover of all his Millar World books.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Starsnostars posted:

ODY-C by Fraction and Ward sounds pretty cool so I'm excited to see what that looks like.

Also, I wonder what Millar means when he says a “Marvel Universe for the 21st Century,”. I mean it's not like there isn't a Marvel universe in the 21st Century, maybe he's going to do a crossover of all his Millar World books.

He probably means more violence and action without any real sense of plot like the rest of his books.

I did find it very interesting that basically if you have slapped a big Marvel logo up on stage, this could've been an announcement for the next year of Marvel. As it stands, with more creator owned books from my favourite Marvel authors, I'm finding less and less need to read their Marvel offerings.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Millar line is just Millar being Millar, according to him Jupiter's Legacy is his Watchmen, whatever that's supposed to mean.

I think the best news about the Image stuff is more good Fraction and Brubaker work, I think both had been pretty restrained working Marvel style and both of their current output is way better since they've stopped.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Man a lot of those books look really drat cool. I've been stoked for Satellite Sam since I heard about it, I'm not even that big on Fraction but it looks like a return to old-school, good Chaykin, and I know Fraction's a big fan of Black Kiss so I trust him to do it justice.