Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The E-3 can do a sick 30 degree banked turn so gently caress all of your fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My brain initially read that as E30 and all I could think was "suspension bushings."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

The E-3 can do a sick 30 degree banked turn so gently caress all of your fighters.

Watch an IR missile lock onto the goddamn CDMT station as the highest heat source on the jet.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Airbus pops an engine.

I bet that made the passengers pucker up a little bit. :eek:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SouthLAnd posted:

Airbus pops an engine.

Just looks like a compressor stall to me...loud and frightening as hell but not necessarily an actual engine failure. Personally I'd be more worried about the brakes after the high-speed abort they just performed.

E: Another view of the same thing (warning: some typically Mancunian language, so maybe NWS):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRL8MPnXmFw

MrChips fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 24, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
In this former aviator's opinion, the engine wasn't supposed to do that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If that's what a compressor stall looks like, jesus loving christ. We had flights where there would be a series of multiple compressor stalls just seconds apart. BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

Edit: V Yeah, the first time I had that happen (I wish I knew if it was all the same jet or not) I was convinced we were going to die. I think it was a 966th sortie, so there were about 25 students making GBS threads themselves, plus a few instructors.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 24, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

If that's what a compressor stall looks like, jesus loving christ. We had flights where there would be a series of multiple compressor stalls just seconds apart. BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

ya, they're super dramatic but pretty harmless. One of the AWACS in Alaska would compressor stall practically on command during takeoff. It was an amazing party trick.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Learn something new everyday. :)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

E: Another view of the same thing (warning: some typically Mancunian language, so maybe NWS):

"Oh! 'is engine exploded. An' hes blown a tire."

"'es poo poo outta luck, that."

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

SouthLAnd posted:

I once was on a 777 that had one of it's fadec boards die during spool up at the threshold. Followed by ~2hours of sitting in the sizzling heat at SFO.

Some of the other passengers were a tad... hesitant about the second attempt at a take off. Me? I just figured we had a brand new fadec board (I have no idea why they decided to change it in situ rather than scrub the flight, but then it was united so :shrug:) without any wear and tear.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So what would have happened if that had gone just after rotation or a few seconds into the initial climb out?

I travel for work. I really should avoid this poo poo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
They would be fine. Takeoff data is predicated on an engine failure and being faster than v1 or decision speed as it is also known as. Hope that helps.

bloops fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 25, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

holocaust bloopers posted:

They would be fine. Takeoff data is predicated on an engine failure and being faster than v1 or decision speed. Hope that helps.

Just to confirm, that means that given equipment, load, and conditions the pilot has determined the speed necessary to safely take off even if one engine fails, and rotation does not occur until that speed is met?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
V1 is a min speed requirement so yea once v1 is hit, the takeoff can be continued safely in case of an engine failure or another problem or the takeoff roll can be aborted (a reject call will be made signaling this) and the jet can be safely stopped with remaining runway available.

Basically what this means is the flight deck is STOP STOP STOP *v1* GO GO GO.

It takes something big to stop a jet after V1 since many problems are easier to deal with in the air rather than risk stopping a heavy jet at high speeds.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

Just looks like a compressor stall to me...loud and frightening as hell but not necessarily an actual engine failure. Personally I'd be more worried about the brakes after the high-speed abort they just performed.

yup, compressor stalls are never good, but certain engines are more tolerant of them than others.

SybilVimes posted:

I once was on a 777 that had one of it's fadec boards die during spool up at the threshold. Followed by ~2hours of sitting in the sizzling heat at SFO.

Some of the other passengers were a tad... hesitant about the second attempt at a take off. Me? I just figured we had a brand new fadec board (I have no idea why they decided to change it in situ rather than scrub the flight, but then it was united so :shrug:) without any wear and tear.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes that means it's far more preferable to take a 2 hour delay than cancel a flight or transfer everyone and everything to a spare airframe if you have one. About the only situation I could see it making sense to scrub the flight would be if it was nearly empty and there was another one departing for the same destination in less than 2 hours that you could all fit all the pax on and you had no time sensitive cargo on the old flight, and the routings meant that the airframe you were on was fine to stay in SFO and didn't have to be somewhere else.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Compressor stalls are pretty much no big deal in any modern turbine, unless they are multiple and severe.

The Lycoming LTS engines in the BK-117 I work in are very sensitive to vortices induced compressor surge/stall. We have to wait an extended time before transitioning an airport after heavies take off.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Polymerized Cum posted:

Compressor stalls are pretty much no big deal in any modern turbine, unless they are multiple and severe.

The Lycoming LTS engines in the BK-117 I work in are very sensitive to vortices induced compressor surge/stall. We have to wait an extended time before transitioning an airport after heavies take off.

what about the CF6?.. oh, you said modern.

That 330 was a Roller though, so it might not even need a boroscope inspection if the parameters were ok and it didn't swallow something it shouldn't have.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Edit: V Yeah, the first time I had that happen (I wish I knew if it was all the same jet or not) I was convinced we were going to die. I think it was a 966th sortie, so there were about 25 students making GBS threads themselves, plus a few instructors.

These were TF33s. By no stretch of the imagination modern.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Any NYC (or willing to make the trip) aerogoons planning to go see Solar Impulse when it comes to JFK (hopefully next week)?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Jealous Cow posted:

So what would have happened if that had gone just after rotation or a few seconds into the initial climb out?
Here is a video of pretty much exactly that, at the same airport, due to a bird strike. It goes from take off to emergency landing and includes ATC audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhZwsYtNDE

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Of course if you fly through a flock of birds and lose both engines you're hosed. Well, unless you have more altitude, a body of water and Sully in command.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yep that's what it was.

The whole "round-the-world on a tank of gas" was a little :what:-worthy but then I remembered I was watching a movie about zombies.

I like the way they hand-waved it away in 2012 best.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Female pilot doing a photo op over downtown Honolulu has an engine failure and manages a (somewhat) successful auto. She's in the hospital but alive.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Polymerized Cum posted:

Female pilot doing a photo op over downtown Honolulu has an engine failure and manages a (somewhat) successful auto. She's in the hospital but alive.

Successful as in she survived I guess.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Polymerized Cum posted:

Man those little Robbies are the worst. Underpowered doesn't even begins to describe them, plus I sure as hell don't put much trust in any piston-powered helicopter.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Full on auto rotations are supposed to be pretty jarring right? I mean, do people perform those maneuvers for real and not damage the helicopter?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
It depends on the aircraft. Some are very forgiving in an auto (B206) and others are not (EC135)

A full stop, engine-out auto is a difficult move to land successfully. And by successfully, I mean to the extent where the helicopter can be rebuilt. The cyclic has to come back IMMEDIATELY without hesitation, as the collective is dropped. The military practices these often, civilian pilots do not.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Ferret King posted:

Full on auto rotations are supposed to be pretty jarring right? I mean, do people perform those maneuvers for real and not damage the helicopter?

Yes. If you want a license, you need to be able to perform autorotations, which means practicing them.

I watched one trainee at Rucker skid his UH-1 across the ground pretty far, but it was wet grass so I'm sure that helped. Didn't break the bird or anything.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Right but you don't actually cut the engine for the practice maneuver.

I just thought the difference could explain the reason for the hard landing. As a certificated helicopter pilot, she clearly had been able to demonstrate auto rotations at some point.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 26, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Ferret King posted:

Right but you don't actually cut the engine for the practice maneuver.

I just thought the difference could explain the reason for the hard landing. As a certificated helicopter pilot, she clearly had been able to demonstrate auto rotations at some point.

They don't have to be jarring, but those Robinsons have a VERY low-inertia rotor system, so even a tiny bit off of perfect and you hit the ground hard. My CFI flew helos, and liked the Hiller more than the Robinson because of its huge all-solid-wood rotor blades and the fact you could be halfway lazy for autorotations. The offset of that was that he could get into a hover at 6000' density altitude with the Robinson, not so much with the Hiller.

For the demonstrated autos, you have to release the clutch somehow; there's got to be "split RPM" demonstrated, so the engine is absolutely not attached to the rotor system for the practice stuff.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

D C posted:

Successful as in she survived I guess.

That's pretty much the best outcome of a real world auto. "In a real world auto, you are going to hit HARD. Just be glad to be alive." is what I was always told in training.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
For Oklahoma and nearby goons, Aluminum Overcast will be in Tulsa this weekend at Tulsa Jones (Jenks, OK) airport.

http://www.eaa.org/calendar/eventdetail.aspx?id=15030

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This video brought to you by the Cold War.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7Meo7w-pY

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
That's pretty awesome, I wonder if that stretch of the autobahn still has all the lighting installed? And weren't some sections of highways in the Midwest designed with a similar purpose in mind?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

More info:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_strip

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alereon posted:

Here is a video of pretty much exactly that, at the same airport, due to a bird strike. It goes from take off to emergency landing and includes ATC audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhZwsYtNDE

Filmed by the same guy who shot the A330. He must be gaining superstar status on the planespotter scene.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Butt Reactor posted:

That's pretty awesome, I wonder if that stretch of the autobahn still has all the lighting installed? And weren't some sections of highways in the Midwest designed with a similar purpose in mind?

I believe the Eisenhower Interstate Act included language that required something like 1 mile of highway for every 5 miles be built for the purpose or capability of handling aircraft (1 straight mile for every 5 miles of road or something like that). Not sure, so I'll have to look it up. It's one of those "common knowledge" things, so it could be total bunk.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

I believe the Eisenhower Interstate Act included language that required something like 1 mile of highway for every 5 miles be built for the purpose or capability of handling aircraft (1 straight mile for every 5 miles of road or something like that). Not sure, so I'll have to look it up. It's one of those "common knowledge" things, so it could be total bunk.

It's bunk. http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

Yeah, it's an urban legend when it comes to "there must be x stretches of y length for planes to land". I don't doubt there are stretches of highway where one could land a plane (it happens every now and then, usually a little Cessna though), but I don't know about taking off again. When you factor in specific states like dear old MI though, well, the plane probably isn't leaving the ground again.