Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Cross post:

http://vimeo.com/m/67115692

If you're interested in Aerochrome check this out, amazing stuff. His stills work from the Congo are mind blowing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spedman posted:

Cross post:

If you're interested in Aerochrome check this out, amazing stuff. His stills work from the Congo are mind blowing too.

Had the pleasure of seeing some of Mosse's stuff in the Dublin Contemporary Art festival in 2011, it was absolutely incredible, blown up to absolutely huge prints.
If this is anywhere near you, rush to it.
Also music is by Ben Frost, who's great.

(Seriously, shooting, 16mm Aerochrome :worship:)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
holy poo poo i've developed film

Ilford HP5+, ID-11 developer, vinegar stop and ilford rapid fixer.

i'll go drag my scanner out of the basement and see what's up

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of developing B&W film, does using a faster development time (and correspondingly a higher developer temperature) affect the look of the film significantly as compared to a slower development time? Just curious because the water is comming out of the tap is slightly warmer now that we're in the summer months.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mest0r posted:

Speaking of developing B&W film, does using a faster development time (and correspondingly a higher developer temperature) affect the look of the film significantly as compared to a slower development time? Just curious because the water is comming out of the tap is slightly warmer now that we're in the summer months.

Higher temperatures mean shorter developing times which in turn means higher contrast.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

Cross post:

This is fantastic, thank you! I especially like his little rant at the end.

quote:

"I'm not even doing it through beauty, I'm just doing it through colour. Through the colour pink. People are so offended by the colour pink, it's just a fekking colour! Honestly, how much more constructive is a pink photograph than a black and white photograph?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
This picture was taken very early on when i had yet to actually understand exposure (a year ago)

This one was taken about a week ago, main improvement is that it's actually in focus :)

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

NOW IN GLORIOUS EXTRA C O L O R by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Does anybody shoot 220 anymore? I got a dozen rolls of cold-stored from my uncle that I don't foresee myself using any time soon. I was basically a kid in a candy store when I went through the rest of his stash.

Actual film as compensation for lovely flickr app-filtered phone cameraness:

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've got some 220 portra that I use, but I've been having trouble shooting my p67 much at all lately. :negative:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

220 is always preferable to 120.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

dukeku posted:

220 is always preferable to 120.

Serious question: why? I know a fair number of "medium format" cameras can take either, is there a good reason to pick one over the other if a roll of each was available for the same price?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It saves loading the camera twice and paying for developing two rolls. On the other hand, I don't have a camera with a removable back and I switch up the kind of film I shoot quite a bit. Sometimes it's preferable to have a smaller roll of film in your camera so you aren't stuck shooting a filmstock you don't want to be shooting.

Same goes for 35mm, I usually prefer 24 exposures over 36 unless I know I'm going to burn through the roll at a concert or something.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Also film flatness is a bit better with 220 than with 120, especially so in humid/hot environments.

It doesn't matter that much, but it certainly is cheaper:
My lab charges more for 220 development, but it is still less than the cost of 2*120 development. Also here, 220 film is a bit cheaper per frame than 120 -- and last but not least, with some cameras like Fuji's GW690 8 frames isn't really cutting it if you're on a trip/vacation whatever. So there's a convenience factor, too.

That said, the only disadvantages I could come up with are: it might fog easier, takes longer to shoot, also scratches easier if your film transport mechanism is messy.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Another disadvantage: my TLR's counter only goes to 12.

...yeah yeah get a better camera. I'm waiting until I find one at "stole it from a yard sale" price.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Frobbe posted:

This picture was taken very early on when i had yet to actually understand exposure (a year ago)

I don't know how you could improve on that, given the framing.. Or perhaps you were saying that you wouldn't be shooting a photo half covered in deep shadow and half in direct sun?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Nothing wrong with having shadows. If you squint it looks like an Ocean Spary logo of foliage.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I had an interesting evening of photography.

- I managed to somewhat impulsively buy a full-plate camera from the LFF
- Exploded some C41 blix all over the wall in the laundry/bathroom and myself, as it was seriously outgassing as I was doing the inversions
- Scanned some more film from my trip

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

maxmars posted:

I don't know how you could improve on that, given the framing.. Or perhaps you were saying that you wouldn't be shooting a photo half covered in deep shadow and half in direct sun?

the difference being, i had no idea what i was doing in the first, so it's purely accidental. The second one was after realising that i had aperture backwards

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

- Exploded some C41 blix all over the wall in the laundry/bathroom and myself, as it was seriously outgassing as I was doing the inversions

Very nice shots. The colour tones are particularly good-looking, to me.

I bolded the part that makes me go :ohdear:
Blix is nasty - how ruined are things? Clothes? paint on the wall? your skin?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

I bolded the part that makes me go :ohdear:
Blix is nasty - how ruined are things? Clothes? paint on the wall? your skin?

As soon as I did it: "poo poo poo poo poo poo...." thinking I was going to stain the walls of my rented house and lose my bond/repaint. But it wiped off no problem with a few paper towels, but I was having to continue processing the rolls, while stripping off and rinsing my clothes in the other sink, turned out okay in the end. Blix isn't too bad if it's still wet, you can wipe it off anything, but when it drys and stains there is no getting it off.

I was a little bummed after it happened I didn't get a shot of a blix covered wall.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea the colour on these is great, very pleasing to the eye.

The second one especially so, the light hits everything perfectly.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 27, 2013

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Spedman posted:

Good example of how discolored and low contrast can be a good thing. really nice tones

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I should put some time into getting the tones more like reality rather than an aged postcard from the 70's.

When I use Epson scan I make sure I cover the whole histogram and then push the white and blacks to their max. Run the scan then do a very quick levels (each channel) in PS, then white balance in LR.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

I should put some time into getting the tones more like reality rather than an aged postcard from the 70's.

When I use Epson scan I make sure I cover the whole histogram and then push the white and blacks to their max. Run the scan then do a very quick levels (each channel) in PS, then white balance in LR.

I like the tones, except the slight magenta cast to the shadows.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's anything but an offensive colour balance. It's easy to come away from a place like Yosemite with run of the mill photos, but I think the 6x9 medium format and the tonal shift really helps set yours aside with some identity. I really didn't get any faux-retro vibe from these at all.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I agree with aliencowboy - the colour balance is excellent, and those photos are too sharp by far to suggest an old faded photo. Can you remind me what camera those came out of?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The Texas Leica, or the Fuji GW690ii. I've become a massive fan of the 6x9 format, I pretty much don't shoot with my Bronica setup anymore because of this camera.

(Next to the nearest thing I have to an actual Leica)

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
What do you scan to? Those pictures are sharper than anything I get from my Mamyia and the v700 at work.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I just use my v500 (as shown in the background of that picture above), with the standard Epson holder, I have the un-sharpen mask set to low in the Epson scan software. I then import into Lightroom and set the sharpening level to what looks right, do a little noise reduction (this will reduce the overall sharpness a little), then upload to Flickr which sharpens the image even more.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Spedman posted:

I just use my v500 (as shown in the background of that picture above), with the standard Epson holder, I have the un-sharpen mask set to low in the Epson scan software. I then import into Lightroom and set the sharpening level to what looks right, do a little noise reduction (this will reduce the overall sharpness a little), then upload to Flickr which sharpens the image even more.

Is there a reason you sharpen before you reduce noise? In digital workflow it's pretty much universally accepted that sharpening is the absolute last thing you should do to an image. Is film-> digital different?

Beautiful pictures, regardless.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Cheers, been looking at getting my hands on a v600 for years but they are literally twice the price here (Australia) and the used market is non-existent. Plus their powerpacks aren't multi-voltage, so I can't order online. Guess it's lovely lab-scans for me.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

XTimmy posted:

Cheers, been looking at getting my hands on a v600 for years but they are literally twice the price here (Australia) and the used market is non-existent. Plus their powerpacks aren't multi-voltage, so I can't order online. Guess it's lovely lab-scans for me.

I can't believe how much a place like Office Works charges for a v500, something like >$450, it's loving ridiculous :australia: But, you can just get yourself a step-down transformer for $40 and get the cheap US v500, and save yourself $200 in the process, I think it's well worth it considering how much you'll save in the long run on not paying for lovely lab scans.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Is there a reason you sharpen before you reduce noise? In digital workflow it's pretty much universally accepted that sharpening is the absolute last thing you should do to an image. Is film-> digital different?

To be perfectly honest, no. I've learnt how to process in lightroom/photoshop from a reading/watching a few guides, a lot of trial and error and just figuring out what looks good to me. That all probably means I'm doing it "wrong".

Anyway, here's a couple of non-Yosemite images (nearly finished):

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spedman posted:

Anyway, here's a couple of non-Yosemite images (nearly finished):

Very nice!

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you're using Lightroom, I don't think it matters what order you apply anything since it's a non-linear/non-destructive editor?

I was curious because I'd never given it much thought before, so I dug through my library and found a noisy image, reset all the develop settings and made two virtual copies. I cropped them both to the same high contrast area. On the first one, I increased sharpness in LR to 107 with the other settings at default, then I increased the noise reduction to 50/25 on lum/color respectively. On the second one I did the same noise reduction first, then applied the same sharpness increase.

They look exactly the same:

I guess Photoshop is different.

Maybe this isn't news to anyone else, but I figured it was a good exercise if for no other reason than to prove to myself that order of operations doesn't matter.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
I've got a small collection of G and D type Nikkors for my D800, but I was looking at dabbling in film. F100s seem to be a sleeper model in price - they're pretty cheap - and they have the benefit of being able to take G and older glass just fine. Locally, used shops want around $300 for units in very, very good condition. Internet ranges from about $90 to $200, but it's a roll... Is there anything I should watch out for with these guys? Is there anything that makes the F100 unsuitable?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

krooj posted:

I've got a small collection of G and D type Nikkors for my D800, but I was looking at dabbling in film. F100s seem to be a sleeper model in price - they're pretty cheap - and they have the benefit of being able to take G and older glass just fine. Locally, used shops want around $300 for units in very, very good condition. Internet ranges from about $90 to $200, but it's a roll... Is there anything I should watch out for with these guys? Is there anything that makes the F100 unsuitable?

KEH has a BGN F100 for $149 and an EX one for $189 (and some even cheaper if you don't mind "eyepiece damage", I'd call to find out what that means though). KEH is very reliable and it will come with a 6 month warranty. I'd rather pay $150 to KEH where I know the camera will work than to risk $90 on ebay with someone who "didn't know how to test the camera".

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

krooj posted:

300 bucks is cheap when you can get an f75 (which'll do G and D type just fine too) for 20 bucks on ebay :psyduck: I guess anything is cheap when you're comparing it to a d800, but still.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

krooj posted:

The F100 is a very durable camera so don't be afraid to get something with cosmetic blemishes. The only real issue I ever had in nearly a decade of heavily using two of them was a slight problem with the metering switch on one camera, it would sometimes refuse to switch out of matrix meter mode. I think the contacts were worn or something thing because fiddling with it would generally fix the problem.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Inf posted:

If you're using Lightroom, I don't think it matters what order you apply anything since it's a non-linear/non-destructive editor?

I was curious because I'd never given it much thought before, so I dug through my library and found a noisy image, reset all the develop settings and made two virtual copies. I cropped them both to the same high contrast area. On the first one, I increased sharpness in LR to 107 with the other settings at default, then I increased the noise reduction to 50/25 on lum/color respectively. On the second one I did the same noise reduction first, then applied the same sharpness increase.

They look exactly the same:

I guess Photoshop is different.

Maybe this isn't news to anyone else, but I figured it was a good exercise if for no other reason than to prove to myself that order of operations doesn't matter.

Apparently anything done in a Camera Raw editor (ACR via photoshop, or Lightroom) is applied in the 'correct' order upon final processing :eng101:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Apparently anything done in a Camera Raw editor (ACR via photoshop, or Lightroom) is applied in the 'correct' order upon final processing :eng101:

Same is true with Apple Aperture, as far as I know.