Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Improving at Agricola- just won a 3 player game against apprentice AI by 30 points! Onl on the family game setting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
What options does the iOS Agricola give you for selecting occupations and minor improvements? Does it support drafting them, or choosing subsets to play with?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

NRVNQSR posted:

What options does the iOS Agricola give you for selecting occupations and minor improvements? Does it support drafting them, or choosing subsets to play with?

Draft, 10-3 (draw ten, discard 3), or random. No subsets, but when the other sets come out you'll be able to enable/disable just like in Playdek's Ascension.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Argh, the "time limit" feature in the multiplayer Agricola sucks rear end. Most of my games have had one or two people drop out already, which makes the rest of the game super silly easy, as it doesn't even have the AI step in to fake another player - you just have 2 or 3 people playing on the 4 player board. And all you have to do is have a turn fall to you while you sleep at night to lose 6 hours on your timer. It seems like if you're not pre-arranging the game, you want the 45 day time limit.

Also, if someone wants to grab me for Agricola, I'm on as jmc003. Up for any 4-5 player games.

ETA: Also, the drafting is done simultaneously, so you're doing it for both minor improvements and occupations at the same time, which is fine, but it's also different from most live games I've seen a draft at, where you do one then the other.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
It's been a while since I've said this about a game: Agricola hurts my brain.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah, I wouldn't play a game (at least a 3+ player one) with random online people, probably. Something like Ascension, sure, but at least for me Agricola is MUCH more of a time/brainpower investment and I don't think I would want to get into it with people I'm not able to harass with text messages saying "TAKE YOUR loving TURN DUDE"

Edit: also I can't believe there's still no chat! You'd think they would have gotten the message since I know it was oft-requested in Ascension. The game doesn't handle multitasking that well on my phone so it's annoying to have to restart it every time I tab out to text someone and say "gently caress you for taking those reeds"

Edit edit: did I mention this is the first board game I've ever played that gets me angry? There's a lot of passive-aggressive poo poo you can pull in Carcassonne but I can get a few relaxing rounds in before bed, no problem. Agricola might wreck some friendships tho

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 17, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

goferchan posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't play a game (at least a 3+ player one) with random online people, probably. Something like Ascension, sure, but at least for me Agricola is MUCH more of a time/brainpower investment and I don't think I would want to get into it with people I'm not able to harass with text messages saying "TAKE YOUR loving TURN DUDE"

Edit: also I can't believe there's still no chat! You'd think they would have gotten the message since I know it was oft-requested in Ascension. The game doesn't handle multitasking that well on my phone so it's annoying to have to restart it every time I tab out to text someone and say "gently caress you for taking those reeds"

Edit edit: did I mention this is the first board game I've ever played that gets me angry? There's a lot of passive-aggressive poo poo you can pull in Carcassonne but I can get a few relaxing rounds in before bed, no problem. Agricola might wreck some friendships tho

Playdek doesn't want to add chat because they think it'll foster negative community interaction or whatever. Have you tried this?

What? Carcassonne is like full aggressive. Nothing passive about that poo poo.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Bummey posted:

Playdek doesn't want to add chat because they think it'll foster negative community interaction or whatever. Have you tried this?

Then they should make their games behave less like iOS apps from 2008 when you press the home button.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

cbirdsong posted:

Then they should make their games behave less like iOS apps from 2008 when you press the home button.

Yes. The problem is that they tie their login and matchmaking to Game Center which has to reconnect every time you close the app, even if you just tab out.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Anyone else having an issue with Agricola not populating their friends list?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

PFlats posted:

Anyone else having an issue with Agricola not populating their friends list?

Playdek's servers are not renowned for their stability. Give it some time and try again.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Bummey posted:

Playdek's servers are not renowned for their stability. Give it some time and try again.

Yeah, I tried 6 hours ago and bitched on the groupme. I'll try again tomorrow.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bummey posted:

Yes. The problem is that they tie their login and matchmaking to Game Center which has to reconnect every time you close the app, even if you just tab out.

Agricola actually doesn't use it -- makes me wonder if they're planning ahead for an Android/PC/OSX version since I guess Game Center wouldn't lend itself well to cross-platform multiplayer

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Eschers Basement posted:

Also, if someone wants to grab me for Agricola, I'm on as jmc003. Up for any 4-5 player games.
I'm down for a game, I added you. I'm on an iPad though so I can only take turns every once in a while when I check my device (which is pretty often, I love my iPad).

I'm belross in Agricola if anyone else wants to add me for a game.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Yeah, I'm down for some Agricola. I'm Spincut on there.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

goferchan posted:

Agricola actually doesn't use it -- makes me wonder if they're planning ahead for an Android/PC/OSX version since I guess Game Center wouldn't lend itself well to cross-platform multiplayer

It's using Game Center for achievements at the very least, and I'm pretty sure their multiplayer system is still using it behind the scenes since I haven't had to manually populate my friends list.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I can't seem to join that GroupMe thing, but I started a goon game of Agricola with jmc003, khailautomatic, and spincut. I'm belross. Game time is 7 days so stay on top of that poo poo goons.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Anony Mouse posted:

I can't seem to join that GroupMe thing, but I started a goon game of Agricola with jmc003, khailautomatic, and spincut. I'm belross. Game time is 7 days so stay on top of that poo poo goons.

You've gotta work that poo poo out because GroupMe is a subtle but amazing advancement in online communication and collaboration.

(Hey GroupMe, if you're reading this, please put me on your marketing payroll and start sending me fat checks. TIA)

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there a separate TCG thread yet? I want to get into one, but there is an endless number of them and I have no idea which ones are IAP traps and which ones are actually good.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Quixzlizx posted:

Is there a separate TCG thread yet? I want to get into one, but there is an endless number of them and I have no idea which ones are IAP traps and which ones are actually good.

They're all IAP traps. Get MM:DoC.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, at the moment your options are pretty much Duel of Champions, waiting for Hex to hit tablets (probably at least a year from now), or cutting your losses and going for a deckbuilding game. If you go for the latter, Ascension is good.

e: Actually, it turns out Hearthstone is coming out for iPad at some point this year as well. I haven't looked at it much myself, but other people tell me it looks like a legitimately fun casual TCG.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 25, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Quixzlizx posted:

Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 hit the App Store not 5 minutes ago (if you have an iPad) and this version actually has a deckbuilding element!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

goferchan posted:

Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 hit the App Store not 5 minutes ago (if you have an iPad) and this version actually has a deckbuilding element!

A deckbuilding element that gives you six boosters worth of cards to build a deck with, then a maximum of three more to improve it. Which sounds really fun until you realise you can only do it twice, and then you need to pay $2 every time you want to do it again. Even if you do pay, you can only do it 20 times, and there's no ability to trade cards or form a larger card pool. I wanted to like DotP 2014, but from what I've heard I'd put it firmly into the IAP trap category.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
There are plenty of some good card games out there that aren't big IAP sinks.

I'd hardly put Ascension in the same category as potential money-vacuums like M&M or Shadow Era or Sol Forge. There are a couple expansions you can buy (or not, if you're a bad person), but either way, at least you'll have the whole set of the deck you're playing with; i.e., everything you'll need to play on a level (identical, really) playing field with everyone else. I'm not saying those other games are bad, but they (M&M and Shadow Era especially) have business models based heavily on getting as many players as possible to buy cards/booster packs/whatever (or grinding out games and earning fake currency at a rate just painfully slow enough to subtly steer to average player toward IAP. BTW, Ascension is also the best game ever that does not include alpacas.

Nightfall is good too, although it rarely comes up here. Kind of World of Darkness-y, with werewolves and vampires and such, but it doesn't beat you over the head with goth and angst. Same deal as Ascension, basically (only cheaper since there's less add-on content). Buy the game, maybe buy its single expansion for another couple bucks (it's good but not critical), and you're done. You've got the whole game; go hog wild.

Summoner Wars, which seems to be well-liked (although I've never been able to get into it), is kind of in the middle ground for IAP. You get one or two armies to start, and there are like six or so more you can buy as IAP. But at least you get the complete set of cards when you buy an army; the IAP--if you decide to buy any at all--isn't some ongoing card-acquisition time/money sink like some of the other card games out there.

You'll note that every game I mentioned does have IAP in some form or another. But to me there have always been two very clear categories of IAP: there's the kind of IAP that leaves you feeling happy you got some cool new content and supported the developer, and there's the lovely kind where you begrudgingly buy it and then resent the developer to some degree for milking you. If you're totally anti-IAP in any form whatsoever though, you're going to have an increasingly hard time getting your hands on good iOS games, card or otherwise.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 25, 2013

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Trustworthy posted:

There are plenty of some good card games out there that aren't big IAP sinks.

I'd hardly put Ascension in the same category as potential money-vacuums like M&M or Shadow Era or Sol Forge. There are a couple expansions you can buy (or not, if you're a bad person), but either way, at least you'll have the whole set of the deck you're playing with; i.e., everything you'll need to play on a level (identical, really) playing field with everyone else. I'm not saying those other games are bad, but they (M&M and Shadow Era especially) have business models based heavily on getting as many players as possible to buy cards/booster packs/whatever (or grinding out games and earning fake currency at a rate just painfully slow enough to subtly steer to average player toward IAP. BTW, Ascension is also the best game ever that does not include alpacas.

Nightfall is good too, although it rarely comes up here. Kind of World of Darkness-y, with werewolves and vampires and such, but it doesn't beat you over the head with goth and angst. Same deal as Ascension, basically (only cheaper since there's less add-on content). Buy the game, maybe buy its single expansion for another couple bucks (it's good but not critical), and you're done. You've got the whole game; go hog wild.

Summoner Wars, which seems to be well-liked (although I've never been able to get into it), is kind of in the middle ground for IAP. You get one or two armies to start, and there are like six or so more you can buy as IAP. But at least you get the complete set of cards when you buy an army; the IAP--if you decide to buy any at all--isn't some ongoing card-acquisition time/money sink like some of the other card games out there.

Quixzlizx specifically asked about TCGs, not just "card games". None of the games you recommended is a TCG. I explained the difference earlier in the thread if you're still unclear.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

A deckbuilding element that gives you six boosters worth of cards to build a deck with, then a maximum of three more to improve it. Which sounds really fun until you realise you can only do it twice, and then you need to pay $2 every time you want to do it again.

Lol, what the hell? I have liked all the other DotP, guess I should boycott this one.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Beelzebozo posted:

Quixzlizx specifically asked about TCGs, not just "card games". None of the games you recommended is a TCG. I explained the difference earlier in the thread if you're still unclear.

A TCG is pretty much by definition an IAP trap.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Lol, what the hell? I have liked all the other DotP, guess I should boycott this one.

All the old gameplay modes are still there, and work the same way as they used to-- this is a new, additional "sealed" mode, for what it's worth.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Beelzebozo posted:

Don't you link at me, whelp!

(Sorry, I re-read and noticed it was a CCG-specific question--not just about vaguely CCGish-feeling card games--right after I posted. Yeah CCGs are all IAP trash for spergs, now please excuse me while I go get my daily rear end-pounding from the SolForge AI.)

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, at the moment your options are pretty much Duel of Champions, waiting for Hex to hit tablets (probably at least a year from now), or cutting your losses and going for a deckbuilding game. If you go for the latter, Ascension is good.

e: Actually, it turns out Hearthstone is coming out for iPad at some point this year as well. I haven't looked at it much myself, but other people tell me it looks like a legitimately fun casual TCG.

I'm OK with a deck-building game. In fact, I'd prefer that. I just don't want to have to pay realbux for every booster pack.

Edit: It seems I'm not familiar with the terminology either. I meant I'd rather have a game where I put my own deck together, not one where everyone has to play with the same preconstructed decks.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I guess I can try out DoC and see whether I feel like the IAP/grind curve is acceptable to me.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 25, 2013

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm OK with a deck-building game. In fact, I'd prefer that. I just don't want to have to pay realbux for every booster pack.

Absolutely 100% of digimal TCGs will require you to pay realbux for every booster pack. Or, like he said,

Trustworthy posted:

grinding out games and earning fake currency at a rate just painfully slow enough to subtly steer the average player toward IAP.

If you're not looking to get your deck construction on and are fine with deckbuilders, then yeah, stick with those. Their IAP is uniformly less gross, and there are already some amazingly well done apps for some of them.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

Edit: It seems I'm not familiar with the terminology either. I meant I'd rather have a game where I put my own deck together, not one where everyone has to play with the same preconstructed decks.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I guess I can try out DoC and see whether I feel like the IAP/grind curve is acceptable to me.

If you haven't tried deckbuilding games before, you should definitely give Ascension a try - it does scratch a lot of the same itches as TCGs. Simplifying, everyone starts out with a crappy 10-card deck. You draw 5 cards for your opening hand, and use them to buy a card. Then your hand and your new card both get discarded, and you take the remaining 5 cards in your and do the same. Now everything, including the new cards, gets shuffled back together into a new deck and the process repeats. So you build your deck at the same time as you play with it. The only IAPs are expansions, and IIRC the game plus all expansions costs less than $10.

Summoner Wars is also fun as hell. You choose a faction and build a deck using only that faction's cards, and each faction after the free starting one is unlocked via a $2 IAP. Once you've paid the $2, you have access to full playsets of every card in the faction. It's kind of a mixture between a card game and a turn-based strategy game, though, so it's not everyone's cup of tea - in particular, the card pool for each faction is a bit limited.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

A deckbuilding element that gives you six boosters worth of cards to build a deck with, then a maximum of three more to improve it. Which sounds really fun until you realise you can only do it twice, and then you need to pay $2 every time you want to do it again. Even if you do pay, you can only do it 20 times, and there's no ability to trade cards or form a larger card pool. I wanted to like DotP 2014, but from what I've heard I'd put it firmly into the IAP trap category.

So you can't delete a pool and reopen a slot? I thought it was you spent $2 to have a new slot for pools to be opened into.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah can someone clarify how the iap for sealed works in dotp? I want it but not if its like that.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Playdek have announced that they will be releasing the Immortal Heroes expansion for their Ascension app today as a $2.99 in-app purchase (in the US; translate to your moon money as appropriate). The required (free) update will also switch the online multiplayer over to their new proprietary account system that they introduced in Agricola. If you did not create a Playdek account in that app you will need to do so in this one to continue playing online. Read the post I linked above for important information about how to ensure that your historical player stats are copied over to the new system.

Also recall that they previously confirmed this will be the last expansion to come to their app. Starting with Rise of Vigil, all further expansions will be limited to the new first party Stone Blade platform, Ascension Online, being built now with Kickstarter funds. Unfortunately (for this thread) that will be coming to Android and PC platform first before being ported to iOS.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's really backwards and stupid, especially considering all of their success and popularity came from the iOS port. :v:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

That's really backwards and stupid, especially considering all of their success and popularity came from the iOS port. :v:

Now that they have that success and popularity they're tired of splitting the dough with a third party. That's not backwards or stupid. It's capitalism.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No, I meant the part about releasing on PC and Android first.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

No, I meant the part about releasing on PC and Android first.

Oh, well that's not backwards or stupid either. Those audiences currently have nothing, while we have something. By prioritizing those environments they can expand their reach while we continue playing on the existing app. Once that's done then they can cut Playdek out of the revenue loop for our crowd. By the way, we'll get to purchase all the existing expansions all over again. Also capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I understand, I'm just not happy about it.

• Locked thread