Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Seems like they made this episode way easier, given how bad everyone did on last night's episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BleepBlip
Jul 22, 2003

"These kind of skills?"
Totally aggree. Also, the new champ looked like he was crankin' it under his lectern.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
For Christ's sake how do you see "1884 novel, rafting, Mississippi river" and not come up with Huck Finn in about 2 seconds?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Tonight's challengers look like they should be on Teen Week.

zakharov posted:

For Christ's sake how do you see "1884 novel, rafting, Mississippi river" and not come up with Huck Finn in about 2 seconds?

I hesitated because it was so obvious.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
edit because time zones or whatever just in case.

I'm angry that Jeopardy reminded me that the 2004 "Crash" ever happened.

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 14, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
All hail our new hipster champion.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
How quickly does the j-archive update? I didn't get my J! fix today, because of the latest chapter of "Colorado Burns:2013".

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Punch Card posted:

edit because time zones or whatever just in case.

I'm angry that Jeopardy reminded me that the 2004 "Crash" ever happened.

I cannot believe that won best picture. Atrocious.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

rockinricky posted:

How quickly does the j-archive update? I didn't get my J! fix today, because of the latest chapter of "Colorado Burns:2013".

I don't know if it's one person or a group of people where it gets updated in a "whoever gets around to doing it first" fashion, but usually updates go up within two days of an episode's airing. Sometimes it's much faster and sometimes it takes another day or so.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Punch Card posted:

I don't know if it's one person or a group of people where it gets updated in a "whoever gets around to doing it first" fashion, but usually updates go up within two days of an episode's airing. Sometimes it's much faster and sometimes it takes another day or so.

Sometimes it never happens at all.

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho
Wow, them not accepting 'megapixels' over 'pixels' is such petty loving bullshit.

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004
The clue was pretty specific about the telescope having 1.4 billion (I think) of "them". I'm sure it doesn't have anywhere near that many megapixels.

e: The guy backstage who reveals the clues must be pretty irritated with the champion by now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Myst Hat posted:

The clue was pretty specific about the telescope having 1.4 billion (I think) of "them". I'm sure it doesn't have anywhere near that many megapixels.

e: The guy backstage who reveals the clues must be pretty irritated with the champion by now.

That's called the "Forrest Bounce," named for Chuck Forrest. It can throw of your opponents pretty badly if you can keep everything straight.

As for the champ I just want him to get a shirt that fits.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
It's driving me crazy too, but it is working well.

I felt bad for the guy all the way on the right. He had to finish off the board knowing full well that he had no chance to even get 2nd place. You could hear the dejection in his voice.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

escape artist posted:

It's driving me crazy too, but it is working well.

I felt bad for the guy all the way on the right. He had to finish off the board knowing full well that he had no chance to even get 2nd place. You could hear the dejection in his voice.

That guy was one of those annoying buzzer-pounders. At some point you can hear him still frantically clicking his buzzer even though one of the other contestants is already giving the answer.

SentSix
Jul 19, 2001

That's what you get! That's what you get when you buy the goofy loving suit!

I know it's not even possible considering the way the show is shot, but was that "loser's edit" or what?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

SentSix posted:

That's what you get! That's what you get when you buy the goofy loving suit!

I know it's not even possible considering the way the show is shot, but was that "loser's edit" or what?

Oh... so glad he lost. Oh so glad he's gone!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

escape artist posted:

Oh... so glad he lost. Oh so glad he's gone!

Hasn't finished airing here but I checked the thread just to see if he was gone. THANK GOD

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

What, sperglords who can't sit still or buy clothing that fits don't do it for you guys?

SentSix
Jul 19, 2001

zakharov posted:

What, sperglords who can't sit still or buy clothing that fits don't do it for you guys?

Guido called, he wants his suit back.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I don't care about his suits, or his mannerisms, or anything... I just like picking the first question in a category and then sticking with the category until it's done. None of this spastic, jumping around trying to find the Daily Double crap. I know it works, and it worked well for him, but it was not fun as a viewer.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Holy poo poo Padraic's face when he realizes he won :haw:

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004
It figures this is the one episode I miss. :mad:

Did someone outplay him, or did he just pull a Jennings and botch the final?

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Padraic was leading, but Andrew made a ballsy bet on a Daily Double that got him ahead. Nobody got Final Jeopardy right, but Andrew risked way too much and ended up behind.

SentSix
Jul 19, 2001

escape artist posted:

I don't care about his suits, or his mannerisms, or anything... I just like picking the first question in a category and then sticking with the category until it's done. None of this spastic, jumping around trying to find the Daily Double crap. I know it works, and it worked well for him, but it was not fun as a viewer.

Can't argue with this. I understand that jumping around is a valid a strategy, but I've always seen it as bad form.

There's winning and there's winning with class.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

escape artist posted:

Amen. Bugs the poo poo out of me.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
God drat Fat Joffrey is no longer King of Jeopardy. I liked that smug bastard.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Unkempt posted:

God drat Fat Joffrey is no longer King of Jeopardy. I liked that smug bastard.

hahahaha

Fat Joffrey dethroned by Podrick Payne

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I was rooting for him to win as soon as they said his name is Podrick (sic)

youracrybabypah
Jun 25, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Someone explain how jumping around categories helps you find daily doubles? It's all random placement, you'd have just as much a good chance sticking with the category in order (just avoid the top easy questions). It's just loving annoying is what it is.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

It's not jumping around to find Daily Doubles, it's jumping around to confuse your opponents AKA the "Forest Bounce".

Wiki posted:

[Chuck]Forrest implemented a strategy known as the "Forrest Bounce" in his play to potentially confuse opponents.[15] (Forrest referred to the technique as the "Rubin Bounce" after a law school friend who first suggested it.[16]) The Forrest Bounce is done in the Jeopardy! and Double Jeopardy! rounds when the player in control of the board at the moment randomly selects the next clue from a category different from the clue before to confuse the opponents into thinking they were moving into that category. This gave the player in control of the board an advantage. ("The basic point is, you know where you're going next and [your competitors] don't," according to Forrest.[16])

I'm so so glad Andrew's gone; it's probably just a symptom of my latent OCD but I cannot STAND when people don't go in order.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Oh, cool, the easiest Final Jeopardy of all time and two of them missed it.

It's 2013 how on earth have you not seen Pulp Fiction?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Oh, cool, the easiest Final Jeopardy of all time and two of them missed it.

It's 2013 how on earth have you not seen Pulp Fiction?

I actually just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time a month ago. I'm 23 for reference.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

youracrybabypah posted:

Someone explain how jumping around categories helps you find daily doubles? It's all random placement, you'd have just as much a good chance sticking with the category in order (just avoid the top easy questions). It's just loving annoying is what it is.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It's not jumping around to find Daily Doubles, it's jumping around to confuse your opponents AKA the "Forest Bounce".

DD's aren't random. They're almost always in the bottom three rows. So it's both. Good strategy, annoying to OCD types.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax

escape artist posted:

I liked him because he resembled Mark E. Smith of The Fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fpVfyRMaUE

youracrybabypah
Jun 25, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Old granny had a complete brain fart tonight, saying only Mental when it should have been Mental Health. And she repeats the same answer when they say try again. And they STILL give it to her later!

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Digital Jedi posted:

I actually just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time a month ago. I'm 23 for reference.

Cool, you should have watched it 7 years ago when everyone else your age did

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Cool, you should have watched it 7 years ago when everyone else your age did

This was kind of mean but it also made me laugh my rear end off, so there's some truth to it.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo an actual attractive girl I'd like to gently caress is on jeopardy. It's been like 2 months since that has happened. Hopefully fatso gets the boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Wow, tonight had two of the worst FJ responses ever.