Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Harvard was hosed up during the time we're concerned with.

During the construction of the current Harvard station, two temporary stations were built. "Harvard/Brattle", a temporary station built of pressure-treated wood, consisted of two island platforms between three tracks in Eliot Yard, just outside the portal. It was open from March 24, 1979 to September 1, 1983

"Harvard/Holyoke" station is located in the main Red Line tunnel east of the current station, at Massachusetts Avenue and Holyoke Street. Although it was for inbound passengers only, the temporary station was fully built with tile walls and other details. It was open from January 31, 1981 to September 1, 1983.

The iconic Out of Town News (old MBTA structure) wasn't open and was moved to a new location. Everything was really really messy. I'd say that looking to Harvard Square for anything is going to be really rough.

xie fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

einTier posted:

Where's the Djinn?
Where's the pillars (foreground)?
Where's the pillars (background)?
Where's the water spout (or whatever it is) under the Djinn?
Where's the paving stones?
Where's that odd shaped block in the background -- and no, Miller Auditorium's anchors don't fit, their slope reaches the ground.
Where's the fortress?
Friendship?
Small, split, three winged and slight?
Tower of delight? Falling in December night?

Seriously, the Hermann Park solution leaves more questions than it has answers.

Before I start I want to say I appreciate constructive discussion and disection of these theories and proposed solutions. Nothing should be off the table until we have a casque in hand.

Now reading your responses it looks like you want to see things on the image on the ground. There will be no Djinn just like there was no centaur in Cleveland. Certain things remain just art.
But I can answer some of questions above.

Fortress North, cold as glass
The Glassel school of art was built in 1979. What made it unique was the layer of glass blocks that were intended to cool the building. It's not unreasonable to assume this school was in brochures and encyclopedias at the time.

friendship south
in 1976 the city of Taipei gave Houston the chineese pavillion also called the "friendshp" pavillion.
The pavillion is located in the Houston Garden center.

Those two points are north and south of the entrance to Herman Park with its iconic shape you see in the image.

Take those clues, the line from Herman Melville, and the fact that there happened to be a train with the numbers 982 and you get a reasonable conclusion that it is in Herman Park. Not gospel but the most likely park location.

I dont believe the pillars are image clues. There are 7 of them and those number have been tied to months of the year and the corresponding birthstone. I found the paving stones and I posted images on Q4T. Ill post them up if you'd like.

rookhunter fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 25, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

rookhunter posted:

Before I start I want to say I appreciate constructive discussion and disection of these theories and proposed solutions. Nothing should be off the table until we have a casque in hand.

Now reading your responses it looks like you want to see things on the image on the ground. There will be no Djinn just like there was no centaur in Cleveland. Certain things remain just art.
But I can answer some of questions above.

Fortress North, cold as glass
The Glassel school of art was built in 1979. What made it unique was the layer of glass blocks that were intended to cool the building. It's not unreasonable to assume this school was in brochures and encyclopedias at the time.

friendship south
in 1976 the city of Taipei gave Houston the chineese pavillion also called the "friendshp" pavillion.
The pavillion is located in the Houston Garden center.

Those two points are north and south of the entrance to Herman Park with its iconic shape you see in the image.

Take those clues, the line from Herman Melville, and the fact that there happened to be a train with the numbers 982 and you get a reasonable conclusion that it is in Herman Park. Not gospel but the most likely park location.

I dont believe the pillars are image clues. There are 7 of them and those number have been tied to months of the year and the corresponding birthstone. I found the paving stones and I posted images on Q4T. Ill post them up if you'd like.
I'm not necessarily expecting to see a Djinn, I'm just expecting to see more visual clues than I'm seeing -- and there's just not much in the Houston image. I do agree that certain things are just art.

I've seen the Glassel School of Art theory. It always seemed like a reach to me, and I can't fully explain why. To me, it doesn't look much like a fortress. I think it ties too much into the word glass as well, but I could make a case for it.

The friendship pavilion I've tried to tie into the south location several times myself. My problem is that the Friendship Pavilion is in the north part of the park. Again, I can make a case here that Preiss wants us to travel from somewhere around the Houston Science Center. If it is in Hermann Park, then it's obvious that 982 is the train. That would take us South through the wood -- and maybe this line is out of order, because to go through any forest after reaching the train from the North would require heavy backtracking. ... but then where? This is where I feel the Hermann Park theory starts to really fall apart and become less credible.

I found your images at Q4T, I've seen them before. I don't know where those stones are, so I can't say for certain if those are the ones in the painting or if they're just some stones. I do like your theory that the Djinn's cap is the Miller Outdoor Theatre. Not convinced -- but I like it and I've worked around that angle many times.

My biggest problem with the Herman Park solve is that to make the verse fit, it's got us backtracking and meandering all over the park and at the end, we're left with a very large area in which to dig -- the clues should point us right to the "treasure ground".

Please don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying that I think your idea has no merit. I think it does, and I think there's a decent chance that it is in Hermann Park. When I make it to Houston, Hermann Park is on my scouting list. I've just gone from a 90% confidence that's where it was buried to something like 40%. In all this time, no one's considered another location in Houston -- primarily because that damned 982 locomotive is like a loving anchor. But what if 982 was just an address? Or a bus route? Or something else? Remember, Preiss wasn't familiar with Houston, it's entirely possible that he had no knowledge of the 982 train or Hermann Park.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I haven't really read a ton on the Houston solve but I can't help but agree with an earlier poster that the bottom right sure looks like train tracks and the shadow of a train with the djinn smoke being steam (though it is not in quite the right place for it.)

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Deteriorata posted:

Casque 9

This is something that's been bugging me about his face. It's showing two emotions at once:

Here's the right side of his face, mirrored:

And here's the left side of his face, mirrored:

It's like the tragedy/comedy drama masks. It must be significant, but I'm not sure why. :(

Sorry if it's old news, I don't remember seeing it.

It's just a smirky look.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I haven't really read a ton on the Houston solve but I can't help but agree with an earlier poster that the bottom right sure looks like train tracks and the shadow of a train with the djinn smoke being steam (though it is not in quite the right place for it.)
I was that poster. I agree that there is a lot to like about the Hermann Park theory. I just hate the idea that we can't narrow anything down, and I think the more we look at it, the more we suffer from confirmation bias. It's taken me a long time to pull my focus away and look elsewhere, and I'm still not convinced I'm right. I keep following the Tranquility Park theory, but I know it's got just as many holes in it.

However, this is what the theatre north of Tranquility Park used to look like. Fortress?

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

JJP was from Cleveland and helped with the Cleveland location. The Grecian Garden was his idea. "I told Byron, I think I have a good spot."

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

Sean Kelly was from Montreal. If there's a casque in Montreal, it's quite possible he knows that.

I tried emailing him once, ages ago, and he didn't reply. He apparently teaches at the Pratt Institute in NYC. Does anyone else want to try contacting him, preferably grabbing him by the lapels, and try to get something out of him?

http://www.pratt.edu/academics/liberal_arts_and_sciences/graduate_media_studies/faculty_and_staff/bio/?id=skelly

Be very circumspect. Stalk him like a wild animal.

BJG fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 25, 2013

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Luminous posted:

It's just a smirky look.

I disagree, but I might be wrong. Examine both images one after another, and look for:

The smile: nostrils flared width-wise like they do when you smile, shallower wrinkles on face, smile makes face seem wider, fuller cheeks, the eyes seem to be smiling too, "healthier" hair (?)

The frown: nostrils flared length-wise like they do when you frown, deeper wrinkles on face, thinner face, smaller cheeks, sad eyes, "wilder" hair (?)

That being said, I have no idea what that might mean even if I'm not imagining things.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I disagree, but I might be wrong. Examine both images one after another, and look for:

The smile: nostrils flared width-wise like they do when you smile, shallower wrinkles on face, smile makes face seem wider, fuller cheeks, the eyes seem to be smiling too, "healthier" hair (?)

The frown: nostrils flared length-wise like they do when you frown, deeper wrinkles on face, thinner face, smaller cheeks, sad eyes, "wilder" hair (?)

That being said, I have no idea what that might mean even if I'm not imagining things.

That's what got me - the two halves of the face don't seem to fit. It seems like an unnatural expression. As with everything, though, we don't know what's significant and what isn't. It's one more piece that may or may not fit this puzzle.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

I used to live on on Tower Grove so this would be great if one were there. There are a lot of good parks in Saint Louis. I miss it!

I suppose the leg eater could be on the Hill someplace.

I only thought about the Tower Grove area because I was looking for Italianate designs in St. Louis and that happened to pop up. Is there any other section of St. Louis that you think may have this type of artwork? My knowledge of St. Louis is solely based on driving through there a few times and stopping at the arch once.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

PunkNickel posted:

I only thought about the Tower Grove area because I was looking for Italianate designs in St. Louis and that happened to pop up. Is there any other section of St. Louis that you think may have this type of artwork? My knowledge of St. Louis is solely based on driving through there a few times and stopping at the arch once.

The Hill is the traditional Italian district. I would think that we want to look for things in the last couple of decades of the 19th century - the Boston Public library legeaters presumably date from 1895.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

New orleans

Right so, some time ago it was discovered that

Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

Refers to a passage in a book about [visiting] new orleans ad verbatim

I have adopted verse 2 as new orleans and so far trying to make some progress

Verse 2

At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground

In the top corner of city park is a load of roads named after jewels, in the bottom right corner is festival grounds trail

I think the next bit is about a sport, there is a softball field there...I don't know anything about softball but was looking up the terminology here

In the middle of twenty-one Softball Throwing Drill?
From end to end
Only three stand watch 3 man mechanics?

Some references in the picture, may be of help

The checker background - paul morphy? the shape of the clock against the background looks like a staunton chess piece
The face mask looks like louis armstrong
The hand holding the mask and the moon are reference to the rougarou (lousianna werewolf) city park mention here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091111201402AAfcHhd
Chalk background - louis gottchalk?

Bloke fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 25, 2013

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

einTier posted:

The friendship pavilion I've tried to tie into the south location several times myself. My problem is that the Friendship Pavilion is in the north part of the park. Again, I can make a case here that Preiss wants us to travel from somewhere around the Houston Science Center. If it is in Hermann Park, then it's obvious that 982 is the train. That would take us South through the wood -- and maybe this line is out of order, because to go through any forest after reaching the train from the North would require heavy backtracking. ... but then where? This is where I feel the Hermann Park theory starts to really fall apart and become less credible.

My biggest problem with the Herman Park solve is that to make the verse fit, it's got us backtracking and meandering all over the park and at the end, we're left with a very large area in which to dig -- the clues should point us right to the "treasure ground".

Please don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying that I think your idea has no merit. I think it does, and I think there's a decent chance that it is in Hermann Park. When I make it to Houston, Hermann Park is on my scouting list. I've just gone from a 90% confidence that's where it was buried to something like 40%. In all this time, no one's considered another location in Houston -- primarily because that damned 982 locomotive is like a loving anchor. But what if 982 was just an address? Or a bus route? Or something else? Remember, Preiss wasn't familiar with Houston, it's entirely possible that he had no knowledge of the 982 train or Hermann Park.

I think I see why you don't like the interpretations we have seen. While there is no set order in the verses there are consistant parts of each verse that generally remain the same. In order to solve these puzzles I think it is important to recognize that the verses have these consistent factors.

There are three parts to just about every verse:

The location confirmation lines
"Where M and B is set in stone"
"Beneath two countries"
"If Thucydides is north of Xenophon"
"At stone walls door"
"Past two friends of octave.."

While they are not the only clue to a location within the city they are strong clues that tell you where to take your search after you figured out the long/lat.

The treasure location/direction lines
"there's a road that leads to dark forest"
"L sits and left beyond his shoulder"
"In a rectangular plot"

These are directions or clues that describe the actual treasure ground and they take up most of the verses.

The digging directions

Once we have the spot, Preiss is very specific as to where to dig. He tells us exactly where.
"Giant pole, giant step"
"The end of ten by thrirteen"
"Beneath the ninth row "
"In the center of four alike"

If you take the first few lines of the Houston verses, Preiss is just trying to tell us which location/park to look for. When he starts with "Take your task to the number 982".
He is telling us this is where you start after you have found the park. I can see where you think we are back tracking.

After that I think it is very linear. Through the woods.., small of scale.., perspective should not be lost...

I know you will conduct your own research and come up with your own conclusions but I have searched for other locations. I have gone through the list of parks. For a few weeks in the beginning I thought friendship was friendship TX. However in searching I have learned tons about these cities as I think Preiss intended. Even if we never find another treasure I hope everyone at the very least enjoyed themselves and learned a thing or two.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Just a little FYI, that Photobucket album Awesomazing linked to a bunch of pages back is all rookhunter's doing, and he has more Houston photos in there than any other city. I have also taken a few photos in Houston, which I intend to post as soon as I get back from sitting in a class for the next 3 or 4 hours.

I'd also like to bring up some painting tie-ins and assorted older posts I made when I get back as well. As in, I wanna be the one to bring them up, to show everyone that I've been doing a good job and that I'm a good boy too. :smith:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

rookhunter posted:

If you take the first few lines of the Houston verses, Preiss is just trying to tell us which location/park to look for. When he starts with "Take your task to the number 982".
He is telling us this is where you start after you have found the park. I can see where you think we are back tracking.
I think you're right in how we differ, and it is a very subtle difference. I see the initial lines as saying "here's how you get to the specific park", not "here's stuff in that park". It seems like in both the Cleveland and Chicago solves, the initial lines describe things just outside the park in question, then the middle lines give you a walking path directly to the general location. The last lines are the specific "dig here" lines. At least, that's how I see it.

quote:

After that I think it is very linear. Through the woods.., small of scale.., perspective should not be lost...

I know you will conduct your own research and come up with your own conclusions but I have searched for other locations. I have gone through the list of parks. For a few weeks in the beginning I thought friendship was friendship TX. However in searching I have learned tons about these cities as I think Preiss intended. Even if we never find another treasure I hope everyone at the very least enjoyed themselves and learned a thing or two.

I've yet to see your work -- Dr Gitmo Moneyson hasn't had time to type it up and share it with me. I'm keeping an open mind and I may well be convinced after seeing it. It's just that every solve I've seen at Q4T and here and the Secret Wiki has one meandering all over Hermann Park and never mentions a specific dig location. I think the Houston poem is very linear and fits the standard set forth in Chicago and Cleveland, but I can't get it to match in Hermann Park without serious mental gymnastics.

My main point in going down the Tranquility Park solution is that it's as good as any I've seen, and I'm not sure I can add anything to the Hermann Park solution -- there's a lot of people working that angle, and a lot working it for a long period of time. I want to go there and see Bolivar's statue near the garden center in Hermann Park and see if I can make sense of anything once I have boots on the ground. But I'll be headed toward Tranquility Park first because it's a place no one's looked yet and I think it shows promise.

einTier fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 25, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'd have more time to type something up if I didn't have to wake up at 6:30 IN THE drat BLOODY BEATEN DISFIGURED MORNING for 4-5 days in a row every loving week this month. :argh:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'd have more time to type something up if I didn't have to wake up at 6:30 IN THE drat BLOODY BEATEN DISFIGURED MORNING for 4-5 days in a row every loving week this month. :argh:

Not trying to give you poo poo -- or rookhunter either. I'm just skeptical about Hermann Park at this point. But convince me.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Dude, take a break. You are acting really weird about this.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Dude, take a break. You are acting really weird about this.

You'd be all worked up too if your employment future depended on this.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

einTier posted:

Not trying to give you poo poo -- or rookhunter either. I'm just skeptical about Hermann Park at this point. But convince me.
No worries :)
I sent you a PM to get you up to speed.
I want you to believe but in the end the only way to find out is digging, and I plan to.
I encourage anyone who has a theory to dig. Only through digging will we ever find these treasures.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

lol me and my kids call that a school week ;)

But seriously, take it easy. Treasure has been there for 30+ years. Its not going anywhere.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Serious question.

If Verse 3 begins it's first line with a Greece reference, but concerns Boston which identifies with Celtic Ireland, does that open the door to use a Scottish word in the first line of Verse 5 which identifies with Spain?

I was looking up the word 'lane' and it says it may be used to mean "alone" from the Scot origin. To be in one's lane means "to stand alone".

Is image 6's Ponce a lone man with a banner? There is the Clan Bannerman of Scotland. The verse does seem to indicate a "lone" member of a forest.

Thoughts?

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 26, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Urban Smurf posted:

Serious question.

I think that there may be quite a bit of connection between verses and sites. I wonder if it will become more clear as we find more. I'm not sure how you get from verse three to verse 5 but I guess you probably ran the other first lines through some Gaelic translator?

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005

What in the world could possibly require you to wake up at 6:30 every morning for 5 days a week for a month straight?!? The only people I know who do that are every single person I know

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

I think that there may be quite a bit of connection between verses and sites. I wonder if it will become more clear as we find more. I'm not sure how you get from verse three to verse 5 but I guess you probably ran the other first lines through some Gaelic translator?

Random House dictionary, Adjective optional meaning says lane is Scot for lone.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 23, 2016

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

If you're waking up earlier than usual, shouldn't you have more time to type something up, not less?

I'm doing this in between saving lives, personally.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I'm in the middle of changing jobs, but neglected to put this on my resume :qq:

lic
Jun 25, 2013
I'm not in NYC for a while, but from the OP I saw nobody considered the Christopher Columbus statue in Central park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Christopher_columbus321.jpg

Has this already been discounted?

In the shadow
Of the grey giant
Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path

^See picture posted

In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound
Cars abound

^Not sure

Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native

^The plaque

The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols.

^ Washington Irving's 3 volume biography "A History of the Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus"

Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil
Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.

lic fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 26, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Verse 4

Beneath two countries

This sentence just clicked for me. Forget Italy or the Vatican, etc. Forget finding any specific country. The point of this line is to isolate the object of a "wall". Imagine standing on a wall like the Centaur on the arch. If the wall is being used to define a country border, then below there can only be two countries.

Using this first line to find the Grecean Garden doesn't make any sense for me with the physical layout of the Cultural Gardens. All it does is suggest "more than one country", which is the theme of the park system in general.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Ask and ye shall receive:

ed: I doubt picture 9 would go with Vancouver. Picture 12 might - it's the Russian one, and Russian America was Alaska.
I've tried to find something in Alaska, mostly based on the silhouette of the onion-domed building, but nothing yet. I know people will yell at me for saying it again, but the 12th picture has so little in the way of visual evidence, especially compared to the others, that I'm looking all over North America (particularly anywhere that's had a big Russian population) for anything that matches and am far from convinced that it's New York.

BJG posted:

Good idea.

Once again, Preiss confirmed to Egbert that the countries of origin were connected with the casque sites. The introduction which deals with this topic and includes the litany and maps was pretty obviously written by Preiss and contains at least one direct clue IMHO, regarding the Spanish puzzle and the Fountain of Youth in Florida. Preiss also told Egbert that the material following the verses contained no additional clues. This "Field Guide" is the section which was put together by the writers from National Lampoon. (Despite this assertion, it's still interesting to glance at, though it's not available online.)
Reading the intro before the pictures and verses, I have to wonder if his statement that there's one in Canada and the repeated capitalization of "New Found Land" could mean anything.

lic posted:

I'm not in NYC for a while, but from the OP I saw nobody considered the Christopher Columbus statue in Central park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Christopher_columbus321.jpg

Has this already been discounted?
Preiss explicitly stated that there is no cask in Central Park.

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008
CASK 9/MONTREAL

I started trying to match a Dutch master painting with the picture alleged to be Montreal. The closest I could find was a Rembrandt self-portrait called Self Portrait with Beret and Turned Up Collar. I think it's pretty similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Portrait_with_Beret_and_Turned-Up_Collar

Unfortunately, it's been in Washington, DC since 1937. Rembrandt painted a ton of self portraits and I couldn't find one that was in Montreal or any other part of Canada.

I think that Ottawa has a much stronger Dutch connection. However, the picture is missing some key Ottawa landmarks.

Personally, I think it's still Montreal, given the legeater, the '67 reference, and the possible Habitat 67 outline. The flower could be a reference to the Canadian custom of wearing a poppy pin for Remembrance Day, which is on November 11. However, it's on the wrong side of the body.

OMG BYZANTIUM fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 26, 2013

lic
Jun 25, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

That may be so...

But even still: "In rhapsodic man's soil" like clockwork refers to the statue of William Shakespeare which is roughly 22 steps east of Columbus' statue. Obviously, we can't go dig up central park though, so I guess it's moot.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I've tried to find something in Alaska, mostly based on the silhouette of the onion-domed building, but nothing yet. I know people will yell at me for saying it again, but the 12th picture has so little in the way of visual evidence, especially compared to the others, that I'm looking all over North America (particularly anywhere that's had a big Russian population) for anything that matches and am far from convinced that it's New York.

Reading the intro before the pictures and verses, I have to wonder if his statement that there's one in Canada and the repeated capitalization of "New Found Land" could mean anything.

Yeah, that picture has always said, "Pacific Northwest" to me. New York just didn't give the right vibe. I've tried Seattle, Vancouver, Fairbanks, Juneau and a few others with it. Seattle and Vancouver both had a comfortable feel. A virtual walk through Gastown in Vancouver felt really good.

Vancouver is my first choice for that picture at the moment, but I'm not ready to start posting stuff about it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that picture has always said, "Pacific Northwest" to me. New York just didn't give the right vibe. I've tried Seattle, Vancouver, Fairbanks, Juneau and a few others with it. Seattle and Vancouver both had a comfortable feel. A virtual walk through Gastown in Vancouver felt really good.

Vancouver is my first choice for that picture at the moment, but I'm not ready to start posting stuff about it.

There are totem poles in that same park in Vancouver that have that same eagle-face design as in that portrait.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

lic posted:

That may be so...

But even still: "In rhapsodic man's soil" like clockwork refers to the statue of William Shakespeare which is roughly 22 steps east of Columbus' statue. Obviously, we can't go dig up central park though, so I guess it's moot.

I'm not super convinced that verse goes with the NYC painting. I think the only reason people think it does is because of the grey giant reference and the statue of liberty face in the painting.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Deteriorata posted:

There's nothing about the atmosphere of the solved ones that says "Cleveland" or "Chicago" to me. I doubt that most of the pictures are supposed to evoke the locations (the Florida one is a major exception)

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I'm still pretty sure that face is the statue of liberty, still I don't blame people for looking elsewhere since the NYC cask hunt has gone cold as hell.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

I have a potential but not very hopeful match for the shape of the window but I don't know how much else because there is literally nothing about it on the Internet. This is the kind of thing that goons are notorious for being able to find, so I'll put it out there on the off chance that someone can dig up information.

In 1967, Victor Bisharat designed 19 doors for the headquarters of General Time Corporation's offices at High Ridge Park in Stamford, CT. The doors were carved from teak in Hong Kong and shipped back to General Time. The doors are arched in shape, each consisting of 4 panels (not unlike the stained glass windows in the Cask 12 image,) and each depicts one or more nations or cultures of the world. Five of these doors were donated to UCONN when the Stamford Campus opened in 1997 and I have been unable to find any information about the other 14. Nothing on the five UCONN doors (which are tucked away in a second floor hallway that visitors are unlikely to stumble across) matches any painting, which is why I'm not optimistic. However, I suspect that one of the 14 missing doors portrays Russia and I want to find it and see if it matches any of the visual clues in the Cask 12 image. I'm hoping to find anything on the presumed Russia carving that matches the painting and since General Time made clocks, find something that matches the clock face.

Sometime in the next week or two, I'm going to visit the former headquarters of General Time and see if the doors are still there, if not I'm going to contact the local historical society and see if city hall has records of who managed the property when General Time left.

SheepNameKiller posted:

I'm still pretty sure that face is the statue of liberty, still I don't blame people for looking elsewhere since the NYC cask hunt has gone cold as hell.
There's an undeniable resemblance (close enough for someone working off a Polaroid, for sure,) but the woman in the painting is looking to the side rather than straight forward like Liberty is, and her pose is completely different. Liberty's face and overall appearance are a neoclassical design, and as I've pointed out, neoclassical statues of women (particularly Columbia, which is my pet theory for now) are also close enough for someone working off of a Polaroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

If you're waking up earlier than usual, shouldn't you have more time to type something up, not less?

Not when I have to take a 3-hour nap in the middle of the afternoon to make that burning feeling in my eyeballs go away. :(