Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Time for a third run through of RSS. Please come back Hayes and Sean, Hayes and Sean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Unless I'm mistaken, we're only one week away from RSS guys.

We can do this, just a little longer...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Matt Besser's taking a swing at Yo, is this Racist in this week's bonus episode. I don't care either way, but around 4 minutes in he states that Chicago's not racist because all the blacks live on the south side.
e: Also, today's Foglenest Files is the awkwardest and least-joyous circle jerk I've ever turned off midway through.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 18, 2013

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Matt Besser's taking a swing at Yo, is this Racist in this week's bonus episode. I don't care either way, but around 4 minutes in he states that Chicago's not racist because all the blacks live on the south side.
e: Also, today's Foglenest Files is the awkwardest and least-joyous circle jerk I've ever turned off midway through.

Sounded to me like he was saying that the separation is racist, not that it doesn't make Chicago racist but he didn't want to get into it. That was an insane statement for the guest to make and the host not to call out. People living in lofts in LA aren't racist, but people in Arkansaw, Chicago and Detroit are because there's no black people there? Really? She obviously knows so little of what she's talking about that I don't even think it needs addressing.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I liked the bonus episode, but I love it when Besser starts ranting about Mississippi and it was a funny scene. I've never bothered with Yo..., is that what every episode is like?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I only ever listened to the Yo, Is This Racist episode with PFT because, well, PFT was on it, and they got to the topic of jimmies, the ice cream topping. The host summarily decided 'yeah, that has to be racist', even though the topic has been well documented and debunked.

I know its a comedy podcast and whatever but when the whole show is predicated on understanding nuance and being well informed and then they do neither of those things, I found that pretty irking

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
The main episode of I4H is gold, one hundred puscenta.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

crimedog posted:

The main episode of I4H is gold, one hundred puscenta.

The Tom Petty scene where Paul Rust forced everyone to go along with the story of his beard being stolen was one of the funniest things I've ever heard on the show

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Yo, Is This Racist can be guest dependent, but it's pleasant enough. My wife and I are mixed ethnicity, and we sometimes get a good discussion out of agreeing with an episode or not - we often disagree.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Riptor posted:

I know its a comedy podcast and whatever but when the whole show is predicated on understanding nuance and being well informed

haha no it isn't

The show is predicated on everything being racist. Which it is most of the time. You may as well be complaining about characters on CBB not being well researched.

e: I don't know what Matt Besser said and I don't really care if this is accurate to his situation or not but a lot of people fall into the same trap of thinking someone telling them something they do is racist/sexist is the same as them telling them they are racist/sexist. It's not. Literally everybody does and says racist or sexist things occasionally. It's unavoidable. Everything we do is informed by our society's lovely views (past and present) on race and gender.

The difference between a good person and an idiot is when confronted with the idea that something they say/do being racist/sexist the idiot says "gently caress you I'm not racist/sexist therefore nothing I do/say could be racist or sexist." The good person say "Hmm, maybe that's true, I'll have to think about it. And if you're right I'll have to change that behavior." Not being racist/sexist is not a passive thing. You don't just decide "Well, I don't hate any races or genders, therefore I can do whatever I want without fear of it being racist or sexist." You have to actually think about the things you do and say. And sometimes the dumbest, smallest things can be wrong, and even though you may think they're harmless, viewed as part of a bigger picture they can be endemic of larger societal problems and be worth talking about.

I apologize for this dumb preachy tangent but it's something I've been thinking about lately.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 18, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

(Conduit and I are re-enacting an episode of the Todd Glass show, he covered the first preachy 20 mins)

Ok ok, what if I am a mattress salesman and you are a homeless guy just trying to get some sleep...wait no let's take a break.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It was more about the guest being ignorant as hell and talking about how people in Chicago and Arkansas and Detroit (!?) don't know any black people so therefore it's ok that LA comedy writers write racist jokes because they're just playing to a bad audience, but they're good people because they're middle class enlightened liberals, they can't be racist. So your screed was closer Matt was saying. He wasn't great at articulating his point, but I think that one smokes drugs.

Production
Jun 11, 2001
Besser is antagonizing the most vocal Yo defender on the Earwolf forum, so I'm anticipating a Case Closed that will probably be completely unlistenable or at least super uncomfortable.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Al! posted:

It was more about the guest being ignorant as hell and talking about how people in Chicago and Arkansas and Detroit (!?) don't know any black people so therefore it's ok that LA comedy writers write racist jokes because they're just playing to a bad audience, but they're good people because they're middle class enlightened liberals, they can't be racist.

Yeah that's what bugged me about it. I laughed when Matt Walsh pointed out how crazy it was that she was happy to declare entire cities and states as being full of racist people who want to hear racist jokes on TV, but was very careful to not denigrate LA writers who write the lazy jokes based on racist stereotypes because they don't have a choice and are 'some of the coolest people I know'.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Production posted:

Besser is antagonizing the most vocal Yo defender on the Earwolf forum, so I'm anticipating a Case Closed that will probably be completely unlistenable or at least super uncomfortable.

The best kind of Case Closed then :colbert: It's one of my favourite segments, I just love how indigent Besser gets at just about anything. Double points if he's laying a verbal smackdown on someone like the rear end in a top hat who was railing against that basketball player.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Being from the midwest I do hate how somehow it always gets saddled with being the bland stupid people when as we all know there are plenty of loving knuckleheads in every city. And the LA Loft comment was just the worst. That and the whole fact that Chicago's South side was a major diaspora point for southern blacks and it was just a really stupid comment.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I think it's interesting to watch Matt Besser get in this argument since he really skirts the boundaries of racism sometimes. I remember on an episode of comedy bang bang he played an asian caricature "Kanye East" and it was the most racist poo poo imaginable.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Nerd Poker is already kind of boring, but without Blaine it becomes just plain bad.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Conduit for Sale! posted:

haha no it isn't

The show is predicated on everything being racist. Which it is most of the time. You may as well be complaining about characters on CBB not being well researched.

e: I don't know what Matt Besser said and I don't really care if this is accurate to his situation or not but a lot of people fall into the same trap of thinking someone telling them something they do is racist/sexist is the same as them telling them they are racist/sexist. It's not. Literally everybody does and says racist or sexist things occasionally. It's unavoidable. Everything we do is informed by our society's lovely views (past and present) on race and gender.

The difference between a good person and an idiot is when confronted with the idea that something they say/do being racist/sexist the idiot says "gently caress you I'm not racist/sexist therefore nothing I do/say could be racist or sexist." The good person say "Hmm, maybe that's true, I'll have to think about it. And if you're right I'll have to change that behavior." Not being racist/sexist is not a passive thing. You don't just decide "Well, I don't hate any races or genders, therefore I can do whatever I want without fear of it being racist or sexist." You have to actually think about the things you do and say. And sometimes the dumbest, smallest things can be wrong, and even though you may think they're harmless, viewed as part of a bigger picture they can be endemic of larger societal problems and be worth talking about.

I apologize for this dumb preachy tangent but it's something I've been thinking about lately.

it's dumb to declare something a slur when it is demonstrably not

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I wish he'd do an episode with all three members of Convoy.

You and me both. Convoy is far and away the best and most consistent show at the UCB. I have no idea why they aren't regulars on the podcast circuit.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Also, as an LA native, there's nothing worse than listening to entertainment industry folks who moved to town a few years ago "explain" LA to you. I'm old enough to remember the race riots in the early 90s, and plenty of other people can tell you about the Watts riots firsthand. The racially charged Rampart scandal ("one of the most widespread cases of documented police misconduct in United States history") was just a little more than a decade ago. So you definitely can't pretend that racism is gone in California.

People who move to town for entertainment tend to hang out mostly with other people who moved to town for entertainment. Which is natural and fine, as long as they don't start assuming that everyone else in the city is just like their circle of friends/professional acquaintances/professional competition.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Really disappointed to hear this, I really like James Urbaniak/Marlo Meekins/Steve Agee. I'm still probably listening though.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

Really disappointed to hear this, I really like James Urbaniak/Marlo Meekins/Steve Agee. I'm still probably listening though.

I thought it was still pretty good.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Todd Glass excels on The Fogelnest Files

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Politicalrancor posted:

Todd Glass excels on The Fogelnest Files

The best Fogelnest Files guest is Andy Kindler with Gary the Squirrel as a close second.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Reality Show Show is finally back tomorrow, right? Or is it next week?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I looked on their twitters and didn't see anything about that. It's probably never coming back because the world is uncaring and unjust. But here are some of Sean's tweets that I found ap-PEAL-ing.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I'm going to tear this city apart if RSS doesn't drop tomorrow. These are my demands.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I've been relistening to the whole show over the last week in preparation for the return, but what if it turns out reality is going to bites forever? :ohdear:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Latest I4H video is up with Parham, Murphy & Schneider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avdzKWuXsyE

It's a goodun.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Lugaloco posted:

Latest I4H video is up with Parham, Murphy & Schneider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avdzKWuXsyE

It's a goodun.

Let us see those jimbo-jambos!

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

No new Reality Show Show.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

isnt that right posted:

No new Reality Show Show.

Zsinjeh posted:

I'm going to tear this city apart if RSS doesn't drop tomorrow. These are my demands.
Consider this city doomed.

They said 7 weeks, we waited.....WE WAITED FOR YOU REALITY SHOW SHOW

Although if RSS happens to be a live streamed one on thursday I'd consider a ceasefire :colbert:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I guess I'll just curl up and die.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm pretty sure I'll never love again.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Speaking of shows that didn't come back, whatever happened to Gelmania?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Didn't it have a finale which was a 20 minute loop of Brett calling us human garbage?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I have ambiguous news!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Is "Analyze Phish" any good?

I love Harris and Scott... but it seems like the premise could run thin pretty quickly.

vvv That's a shame. vvv

escape artist fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Nah dude it sucks don't listen to it.