Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coathat
May 21, 2007

Watch Dirty Pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

House Louse posted:

I don't know if it's like Slayers, but have you seen Trigun? It's a planetary romance-Western, very strong on comedy at first, though it darkens quite quickly.

I have not seen Trigun but, like Cowboy Bebop, it's a series I've often thought I'd like to watch.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Well, you might as well complete the 90s space western trilogy and watch Outlaw Star too. It's a pretty light-hearted space adventure.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Redcrimson posted:

Well, you might as well complete the 90s space western trilogy and watch Outlaw Star too. It's a pretty light-hearted space adventure.

There is That One Episode that brings it all down, though. Rahxephon had one of those too.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I have a few questions and some opinions on animes :)

I have been on a romance manga bender and I need some suggestions for a show that isn't obscenely long. I have seen Fruits Basket, read most of Kimi no Todoke, and I'm looking for something similar with good animation.

Is the Kimi no Todoke anime worth watching?

Is Tamako Market worth looking into? I heard that it kinda starts sucking after the first 6 episodes. I like the look of the animation but didn't know if I was wasting my time.

Is Toradora worth watching?

I guess I like highschool/college/young adult life romance stuff (Oh god I'm turning into a creepy old lady), but I have also enjoyed Baccano! and other surreal animes (Paranoia Agent, Mononoke) as well, so if there are any outstanding surrealist shows out I'd appreciate it.
I also like historical romance!

I am looking for shows that have been completed since I become a loving trainwreck if I'm left on a cliffhanger.

So criteria: Completed, romantic or surreal, not too many episodes (none of this 500 episode bullshit). :h:

RebBrownies fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 25, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Kimi no Todoke anime is definitely worth watching, I flip back and forth about whether I like it or the manga more. Definitely watch (and read) Paradise Kiss. Lovely Complex anime is amazing and so is the manga, the comic drags a bit tho. Also watch Honey and Clover!

Toradora is better than it has any right to be, but is definitely set in anime land rather than the real world.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Whoops. Double post. :shobon:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

RebBrownies posted:

So criteria: Completed, romantic or surreal, not too many episodes (none of this 500 episode bullshit). :h:

Watch The Tatami Galaxy. It is a very good, very surreal anime about college students.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

RebBrownies posted:

I have been on a romance manga bender and I need some suggestions for a show that isn't obscenely long. I have seen Fruits Basket, read most of Kimi no Todoke, and I'm looking for something similar with good animation.

Is the Kimi no Todoke anime worth watching?

Is Tamako Market worth looking into? I heard that it kinda starts sucking after the first 6 episodes. I like the look of the animation but didn't know if I was wasting my time.

Is Toradora worth watching?

I guess I like highschool/college/young adult life romance stuff (Oh god I'm turning into a creepy old lady), but I have also enjoyed Baccano! and other surreal animes (Paranoia Agent, Mononoke) as well, so if there are any outstanding surrealist shows out I'd appreciate it.

I am looking for shows that have been completed since I become a loving trainwreck if I'm left on a cliffhanger.

Tamako Market is a very cutesy slice-of-life. Don't expect much in terms of romance. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't bother to watch it again.

I would second the recommendation for Tatami Galaxy and add Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!.

The Kimi no Todoke manga seems to be well-received, but I can't say anything about that or the anime personally. I would recommend reading Taiyou no Ie if you're looking for other manga.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

RebBrownies posted:

Tatami Galaxy is brilliant.

This is what I thought of Kimi ni Todoke:

Chas McGill posted:

I'm halfway through the first season of this and I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm not really into the genre and I tend to avoid high school animes, but I'm enjoying Kimi ni Todoke. It has the same bullshit fumbling romance as so many other shows, but something about it appeals to me despite that. The character designs are decent and the dialogue is animated with humour and verve - at times it actually reminds me a tiny bit of Tatami Galaxy (nowhere near as good, though!). Chizu and Ayane are great characters.

All that said, I think they missed a golden opportunity to make a show about a female version of the protagonist from Angel Densetsu.

You should also definitely watch Sakamichi no Apollon.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tamako Market is extremely boring, don't watch it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

RebBrownies posted:

Fifthing The Tatami Galaxy, it's everything you're looking for. I really liked the romance aspect in the Planetes anime, although I can see why the characters get up peoples' noses. Kuragehime might fit the bill too; it's a manga and a faithful one-cour anime, and Bonnouji, manga only, a rather sweet romantic comedy. And have you seen Whisper of the Heart? It's a Ghibli film.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Piling on for Tatami Galaxy and Honey & Clover.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I know it really isn't particularly good, but is there anything similar to Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There? I really enjoy the examples of modern technology triumphing over magic and the general theme of discovering a completely foreign culture and place. I find the theme kind of similar to the coffee shop in Time of Eve, in that the concept is absolutely foreign to the characters at first, but they are intrigued by it and explore it.

I'm open to manga or anime suggestions. Yes, I'm watching Gargantia and enjoying it a lot.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

brainwrinkle posted:

I know it really isn't particularly good, but is there anything similar to Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There? I really enjoy the examples of modern technology triumphing over magic and the general theme of discovering a completely foreign culture and place. I find the theme kind of similar to the coffee shop in Time of Eve, in that the concept is absolutely foreign to the characters at first, but they are intrigued by it and explore it.

I'm open to manga or anime suggestions. Yes, I'm watching Gargantia and enjoying it a lot.

Zero no Tsukaima with the caveat that it also isn't very good.

Also, word of warning on the Honey and Clover/Toradora recommendations. Both have a female love interest who is supposed to be an adult/teenager but looks like a 10 year old. I have seen both in their entirety but I kind of had to squint and pretend it wasn't creepy as gently caress the entire time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I was going to suggest The Tatami Galaxy but then like 6 people beat me to it but it's amazing so I will recommend it anyway! If you liked Mononoke then I'm fairly sure that the art style and general weirdness won't be a problem and it's just a fantastic story once the pieces start to come together.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

brainwrinkle posted:

Drifters should be right up your alley.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

You guys are loving awesome thank you so much! I'm so excited to start Tatami Galaxy tonight! I really need to see Whisper of the Heart. I'm a huge Ghibli fan but I have slacked off :(

Opinions on Baccano! ? I watched it and enjoyed it but I never got any objective opinions. :/

Is Gundam Wing good? As a child I didn't understand it at all and I was wondering if that was because I was stupid or because it was very politics driven?

I'm just wondering why did LOGH get such a revival in popularity? I was a huge weeaboo in the early 2000s and never heard of it?

Also why does K-ON have such a huge following? I have never seen it, but is it because it is good or because it is loaded with pillow case worthy waifus?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

RebBrownies posted:

Also why does K-ON have such a huge following? I have never seen it, but is it because it is good or because it is loaded with pillow case worthy waifus?

Every positive opinion I've heard about it from non-creeps is that it's light, it's fluffy, and it's fun. It's just a bunch of friends who have a band together having fun.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

RebBrownies posted:

You guys are loving awesome thank you so much! I'm so excited to start Tatami Galaxy tonight! I really need to see Whisper of the Heart. I'm a huge Ghibli fan but I have slacked off :(

Opinions on Baccano! ? I watched it and enjoyed it but I never got any objective opinions. :/

Is Gundam Wing good? As a child I didn't understand it at all and I was wondering if that was because I was stupid or because it was very politics driven?

I'm just wondering why did LOGH get such a revival in popularity? I was a huge weeaboo in the early 2000s and never heard of it?

Baccano is really good and I wished there was a season 2, but sadly they will never do one due to terrible sales.

People enjoy Gundam Wing mainly for the nostalgia of the show when they were a kid, but I think Gundam Wing is pretty bad.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

RebBrownies posted:

Whisper of the heart is a very under appreciated ghibli movie. Its great.

Baccano loving owns owns owns, everyone loves it. Be sure to watch it dubbed!

You have 2 options with wing: preserve your nostalgia, or test your nostalgia. If you leave those memories of wing just how they are, they will always be fond memories. If you go through with watching it, you might forever poison those memories. As much as I love wing (in a completely straight-faced unironic way) it is not, in the strictest sense of the word, "good".

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

RebBrownies posted:

Gundam Wing is terrible.

One reason you didn't hear about it might be because good subs for the main LoGH series didn't finish till 2007.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You might be unable to believe that K-ON isn't creepy. Lots of anime watchers have become completely desensitized to this poo poo, and will somehow completely miss how loving creepy a show is and love it anyway. That's not the case in people recommending K-ON. It's actually a little bit astounding how completely non-creepy it is. Like, anything that could possibly be creepy about the show has been completely sucked out of it, intentionally. You know how some animes just completely exude creepiness? K-ON exudes the complete absence of creepy. It's actually kind of creepy just how non-creepy it is, and I think that what made it so popular among creepy folks is the lack of creepy in the show.

I think Kyoto found that what creeps liked about being creepy about their shows is bringing their own creepy to it, and that creeps would bring their creepy devotion every show no matter what they put in it, so why even imply something creepy when the fans will do that for you? And now they're loving millionaires.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

Captain Invictus posted:

There is That One Episode that brings it all down, though. Rahxephon had one of those too.

drat which one was that because my shitheel opinion is that it was derivative and irritating except for like 2 really great episodes.

RebBrownies posted:

I read this whole page in disbelief three times after control+f'ing "revolutionary", "girl", and "utena". You should probably watch Revolutionary Girl Utena.

The Devil Tesla posted:

You might be unable to believe that K-ON isn't creepy.

Fact remains that the show sucks unless you watch it with the knowledge that it's social commentary about about three flippant high school girls that adopt a mentally handicapped friend.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Grenadier posted:

drat which one was that because my shitheel opinion is that it was derivative and irritating except for like 2 really great episodes.

I read this whole page in disbelief three times after control+f'ing "revolutionary", "girl", and "utena". You should probably watch Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Fact remains that the show sucks unless you watch it with the knowledge that it's social commentary about about three flippant high school girls that adopt a mentally handicapped friend.

Hahaha I don't know if I can watch K-On now as it was intended XD

Is Revolutionary Girl Utena good? I have never really gotten into too many magical girl animes (aside from Sailor Moon), but I have heard Utena is a lot more mature.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Utena is the best anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grenadier posted:

Oremo is actually Reefer Madness but for ecchi games and anime.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

RebBrownies posted:

Hahaha I don't know if I can watch K-On now as it was intended XD

Is Revolutionary Girl Utena good? I have never really gotten into too many magical girl animes (aside from Sailor Moon), but I have heard Utena is a lot more mature.
It's good. Mind, it is one of only three magical girl anime's I've seen, the other two being Princess Tutu and Madoka Magika, which are both a bit atypical. I'm about the furthest thing from an authority on the genre, but I think I can safely infer that it is not representative.

It's a smart and astonishingly artsy fartsy show. It has some intentionally but remorselessly repetitive elements which can wear on you in marathon viewings. It is as mature as you've heard with sexual metaphors and themes permeating throughout along with parables on the myriad ways growing up is hard and nobody understands. And occasionally it's pretty funny.

One of my favs.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Grenadier posted:

Princess Tutu

I can strongly recommend Princess Tutu to anyone who even remotely likes Magical Girl shows. I enjoyed what I saw of Utena long ago, I should really rewatch it from the start and finish it. Another I enjoyed a lot was Cardcaptor Sakura. Wonderful music and art.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

RebBrownies posted:

Utena is art, plain and simple.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

coathat posted:

Utena is the best anime.

This is not an exaggeration.

Make sure you watch the movie, too, after the show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grenadier posted:

If you're talking about Rahxephon, episode 19. Rarely have I been so loving bummed by an episode of a TV show, let alone an anime, and I believe that encounter had been foreshadowed a good bit since maybe even the earlier episodes. Also, as nonsensical babbling shenanigan-driven as Rahxephon was, I still enjoyed it and that it was a different take from the manga, which is A MASSIVE SOUL-SUCKING hosed UP BUMMER(but still good). The Vermilion Suits are also one of my favorite "mecha" designs.

RebBrownies posted:

Gundam Wing is really bad. It can be really bad in a really good-bad way, such as that one dude who is basically Waluigi In A Suit first being thrown out of a space shuttle via his chair falling through the bottom of it, followed by Lady Une headshot sniping him with a pistol as he falls through the atmosphere for good measure. If this sounds like a rip-roarin' tongue in cheek time to you, watch Gundam Wing. If you want actual quality storytelling, do not watch Gundam Wing.

You should probably just watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. In a world, in a forums, where every animes is spurned, is shunned, Legend of the Galactic Heroes had it's own very successful TVIV thread for a while. A non-ADTRW SA subforum embraced an anime with open arms. This has literally never happened in the history of anything outside of this single event.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
A childhood of reading Mortadelo y Filemón and Condorito has left me with a love of really obvious punchlines, is there something comparable to the type of humor that Gintama uses? I've seen it's more or less common on slice of life types, but those are extremely hit and miss, so some recommendations would be nice(manga or anime is ok).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

cisneros posted:

A childhood of reading Mortadelo y Filemón and Condorito has left me with a love of really obvious punchlines, is there something comparable to the type of humor that Gintama uses? I've seen it's more or less common on slice of life types, but those are extremely hit and miss, so some recommendations would be nice(manga or anime is ok).

I've never watched Gintama but Daily Lives of High School Boys is a great comedy and I've heard the two compared very often.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

RebBrownies posted:

Because it wasn't subbed in the early 2000s. When the thread popped up in 2004, they were less than half done, and didn't finish for a couple years still. There was no revival so much as it's only just fairly recently that people have been able to watch the drat thing without first having studied Japanese to fluency.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cisneros posted:

Oh god, Condorito. I didn't even knew how to read Spanish properly but I somehow knew what "PLOP!" meant. :xd:

jonjonaug posted:

I've never watched Gintama but Daily Lives of High School Boys is a great comedy and I've heard the two compared very often.

Yeah, Daily Lives of High School Boys (aka Nichibros) and Gintama have a very similar feel in that, while super mundane, the jokes knock it out of the park like nothing when executed properly. Seriously, go for Nichibros; you're in for a ride.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RebBrownies posted:

The premise of Angel Beats is pretty surreal and a really interesting basis, and also has a few romances thrown in, and is also a hilarious comedy. It's written by Key, so get ready to bawl your eyes out, or at the very least get them wet if you're a coldhearted bastard like me. It's a 1 season show so it isn't too long, but because the show had originally been planned for 2 season and got compressed, the pacing feels a bit rushed, especially in the last few episodes. Still an absolutely fantastic an gorgeous show. It has a really vivid color palette and is exceptionally well animated, like above KyoAni good.

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, Daily Lives of High School Boys (aka Nichibros) and Gintama have a very similar feel in that, while super mundane, the jokes knock it out of the park like nothing when executed properly. Seriously, go for Nichibros; you're in for a ride.

Yep, Nichibros owns. Enough said.

Though I have to say that the "SURPRISE BITCHES it was all a dream" reveal kind of annoyed me because it meant that one of the main characters essentially took a backseat for a large portion of the show for what amounted to a single gag.

e: Speaking of Gintama, is it worth going through all 200 and whatever episodes or are there particular sections of the show that deserve attention?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 27, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nichibros doesn't have the character moments that make Gintama great, but it certainly does a drat fine job at going with a lot of the same style of humor from the show.

As for Gintama itself, it's a lot of fun though the first season is the by far weakest since it has to get through a fair amount of character introduction episodes. Once those are out of the way it has a lot more room to just take a bunch of the characters and stick them into a situation and make it work, no matter how goofy or serious the situation is. In that regard it kinda reminds me of Discworld. Plus Gintama's also able to handle serious arcs well; unlike most anime comedies that have serious moments, Gintama manages to pull it off in a way that doesn't feel jarring at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I watched about 30 episodes of Gintama and found it really uneven. There are episodes where I had to pause the show because I was laughing too hard to breath, and then there are stretches where almost nothing funny happens. (And the serious plot isn't substantive enough to make up for it, either, they're just comedy episodes without... comedy.)

Definitely watch it as far as the nabe pot episode, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Gamble Fish is like that except pretty trashy. It's definitely a guilty pleasure, so you might not like it, but you could always try.

I just started reading this last night and was wondering why it was a guilty pleasure but I'm 4 volumes in now and I can totally see why :v: Some of the ways the creator tries to sneak in panty shots is pretty funny and the general craziness is keeping me reading though. It's interesting to read a manga like this where it's the protagonist who's doing all these crazy cheats and stuff instead of his opponent.

• Locked thread