Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

My employer moved us into a brand new office building over the weekend. Here's what I could muster in a half-hour yesterday with a handful of zip ties.

The most expensive thing in the picture is probably the chair. It's a good step up from my previous chair, but my rear end can't tell the difference quite yet.

I'm still working on an elegant solution for the cables, which are currently stuffed haphazardly behind my impromptu monitor stand. Recommendations on a sturdier platform are welcomed. I would just buy an Ergotron to match the one they provided, but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Yeah nice cool and not at all shameful Embody ripoff. Enjoy your scoliosis!

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

TenementFunster posted:

Yeah nice cool and not at all shameful Embody ripoff. Enjoy your scoliosis!

Because most employees can just pick anything they want :rolleyes:

I had to wait over 6 months after a doctors note to get an ergonomic evaluation. Which ended up with me getting http://www.thehumansolution.com/bodybilt-2509-3509-stretch-tall-ergonomic-chair.html or something similar, along with an adjustable desk. It's fantastic. But also a mountain to climb up for most companies that buy lovely pre-fab furniture that only comes in one configuration but comes cheaper in bulk.

edit: Are the tempurpedic drafting stools any good? I have a non-adjustable standing desk I built at home, but sometimes I just want to sit. I also do not have 1200 for a chair, but 300-ish is doable.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

You must not work for a tech company in California. You even hint at hand/wrist/back type ergonomic problems here and they're bending over backwards to do something about it.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

ask your cube neighbor how it feels to be diabetic

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tedronai66 posted:

Because most employees can just pick anything they want :rolleyes:
where the gently caress do you work where getting an ergonomic chair would even result in a conversation with your boss?

geera
May 20, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

where the gently caress do you work where getting an ergonomic chair would even result in a conversation with your boss?
More like where do you work where getting a $1200 chair requires no conversation with your boss.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

geera posted:

More like where do you work where getting a $1200 chair requires no conversation with your boss.

Yeah my company has money out its rear end but the last thing it's going to do is buy me an expensive chair by me just submitting a ticket somewhere or something.

New chair please! Oh, could use a better laptop! Hey, I saw these new 4K displays on the net too.

gently caress, I have to have a conversation with my manager/admin to get a wrist pad for a keyboard if I wanted it. It usually ends up being easier for me to just buy it myself and bring it into the office.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
yeah, no way a company is shelling out for a super luxury office chair unless they absolutely have to. buy your own, nerds.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, no way a company is shelling out for a super luxury office chair unless they absolutely have to. buy your own, nerds.

Which is the wrong way to be thinking. but hey.

TenementFunster posted:

Not my boss. HR. We have no ergo department here. Even immediately after my back surgery they wouldn't order an eval without doctors notice.

dema posted:

You must not work for a tech company in California. You even hint at hand/wrist/back type ergonomic problems here and they're bending over backwards to do something about it.

I wish we were like that. The bitch thing of it here is that it's all paid for by the disability insurance they provide as a part of our benefit package.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

TenementFunster posted:

I used to work for a company where a Steelcase Leap came standard at every desk.

You know what's more expensive than a $1,000+ chair? Worker's Comp against the company for back problems and/or carpel tunnel.

A quality, ergonomic chair is looked at as an ounce of prevention at a lot of companies, as opposed to the pound of cure of tons of medical bills and extra paid time off for an injury.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GreatGreen posted:

I used to work for a company where a Steelcase Leap came standard at every desk.

You know what's more expensive than a $1,000+ chair? Worker's Comp against the company for back problems and/or carpel tunnel.

A quality, ergonomic chair is looked at as an ounce of prevention at a lot of companies, as opposed to the pound of cure of tons of medical bills and extra paid time off for an injury.

Yup. Which employer do you think is going to do better on business end of a workplace injury lawsuit: one who bought furniture that's recognized as ergonomically correct and had ergo training in place for employees or one who bought $80 Office Max chairs with one-size-fits-nobody Ikea desks?

Also, I worked for a company that had electric height-adjusting desks and Steelcase Leaps at every workstation, probably $4k a piece. Still cheaper than litigation.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Also, I worked for a company that had electric height-adjusting desks and Steelcase Leaps at every workstation, probably $4k a piece. Still cheaper than litigation.
This is what I'm using at home; Never going back.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

8/10 office environments I've been in have at least had $400 Steelcase/Herman Miller/Haworth chairs. One of my clients is a retail clothing store and they have $2200 Herman Miller chairs for each employee, including the little foreign ladies in the tailor shop.

Maybe you're just working for lovely companies.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

woot fatigue posted:

Probably. Also now that I have your attention what color scheme should I go for on for a Wire Base Low Table?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

woot fatigue posted:

8/10 office environments I've been in have at least had $400 Steelcase/Herman Miller/Haworth chairs. One of my clients is a retail clothing store and they have $2200 Herman Miller chairs for each employee, including the little foreign ladies in the tailor shop.

Even my gov job has some Steelcase Leaps mixed in with the usual assortment of crappy chairs. I was surprised.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

Probably. Also now that I have your attention what color scheme should I go for on for a Wire Base Low Table?

I would go with one of the leftover 2012 Select edition colors, either in orange or yellow. http://www.dwr.com/product/herman-miller-select-eames-wire-base-table.do?sortby=ourPicks
Once they run out you'll never see them in those colors again.

Otherwise I'd order it direct since they have more color options: http://store.hermanmiller.com/Products/Eames-Wire-Base-Low-Table and I'd go either all black, all white or a combination of the two. I think the chrome looks tacky, and it will disappear since it reflects the color of your floor. I'd make sure the base color contrasts with whatever surface it will be on. Keep in mind that there's two whites available. Studio White is a bright white while White is a creamier natural white.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

That's what we have standard. And those chairs are absolute poo poo. (I'm 6'4/~220). Combined with unadjustable desks that are too low, it's a recipe for slouching. Steelcase' "ergonomics" is actually marketing bullshit (from the person who did my ergonomic eval).

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

That's what we have standard. And those chairs are absolute poo poo. (I'm 6'4/~220). Combined with unadjustable desks that are too low, it's a recipe for slouching. Steelcase' "ergonomics" is actually marketing bullshit (from the person who did my ergonomic eval).

It actually appears that you're taller/larger than average. It's not the desk and chair, it's you. Chairs aren't one-size-fits-all.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Tedronai66 posted:

Really? I'm just barely over 6'2/~205 and I absolutely love the Leap. My office now has me sitting in a Herman Miller Mira and it's also not bad, but I was a huge fan of the Leap and loved how adjustable it was.

Something you might possible have not found: for guys our size, try adjusting the the seat part of the chair slightly forward. It took me forever before I even knew I could adjust that part of the chair and it made things ten times better. Before that, I always felt like I would slide forward out of the thing. After that it was just about perfect.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 19, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I just bought a house, and it has a really nice looking built in desk with cabinets in one of the rooms. It's about 2 inches too high for a normal sized human (like me) to use with correct ergonomics :(

Makes me a little sad. Maybe I'll sit on a phonebook or something.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Use a chair that rises high enough and a foot rest.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
If you're a tall, proud Aryan übermensch like myself and need some extra height on your chair, try some extra big-rear end casters like from: http://www.miraclecaster.com/

Not only do they give me an extra inch or two of adjustment, but they make chairs look like sweet moon buggies

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Really? I'm just barely over 6'2/~205 and I absolutely love the Leap. My office now has me sitting in a Herman Miller Mira and it's also not bad, but I was a huge fan of the Leap and loved how adjustable it was.

Something you might possible have not found: for guys our size, try adjusting the the seat part of the chair slightly forward. It took me forever before I even knew I could adjust that part of the chair and it made things ten times better. Before that, I always felt like I would slide forward out of the thing. After that it was just about perfect.

I did think it was comfortable, for the first 3 months.

Even all the way forward, it was not long enough (again, from the ergo eval person) to support under my legs properly. The back support leans away from how you'd sit, giving your upper back no support. The Lumbar support (most important for me since a double discectomy) is pathetic at best (when you can air pump up lumbar support as much as you need instead of that flimsy plastic poo poo, it's magical)

I adjusted that thing in all manner of ways. The seat padding also wears out fast for a 700+ dollar chair. I've had this BodyBilt one for almost 2 years now, and it's spectacular when I do sit. That said, I mostly stand.

woot fatigue posted:

It actually appears that you're taller/larger than average. It's not the desk and chair, it's you. Chairs aren't one-size-fits-all.

Yes, and companies building office space with one-size fits all is the problem (or manufacturers pricing adjustable items sky high).

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

If you're a tall, proud Aryan übermensch like myself and need some extra height on your chair, try some extra big-rear end casters like from: http://www.miraclecaster.com/

Not only do they give me an extra inch or two of adjustment, but they make chairs look like sweet moon buggies

I might have to try these out. My office has steel case chairs and motorized sitting standing desks, but my legs are always cramped when I sit for long periods.

That being said, it's night and day compared to my old job. I had a crappy desk and chair and my back hurt by the end of every day. I haven't had any problems with the setup at the job I'm at now.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

TenementFunster posted:

Good lord I am lucky. My boss only ever orders those Herman Miller Aerons. They are truely good like, I have sat my arse down in one now at work for near seven years and picked one up last year for home. Got work to order it using their discount. Best chair ever!

I can say without hesitation that it is far more comfortable than my couch. Im still in love with it even after all this time.

*edit*

This post may make more sense if I noted that every job before this had 60 dollar office works specials. Never going back, they will have to take me kicking and screaming.

insidius fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 22, 2013

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Yeah, the Aeron is the best chair available. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go vote for Bill Clinton in the upcoming presidential election!

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Also, I worked for a company that had electric height-adjusting desks

I had no idea things like this even existed. How high can they go? Do they raise enough to work while standing?

If anybody has any suggestions for these that are available in the UK, I'd appreciate some names/brands/links to look at. Thanks!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

MUFFlNS posted:

I had no idea things like this even existed. How high can they go? Do they raise enough to work while standing?

If anybody has any suggestions for these that are available in the UK, I'd appreciate some names/brands/links to look at. Thanks!
Geekdesk advertises as shipping internationally. It raises enough to work while standing for me - I'm 6'2".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/tables/adjustable/series7/pages/overview.aspx

These are them. They adjust from sitting to standing by holding the little up button for 3 seconds. I have never seen an individual that the desk doesn't adjust in the correct increments for. I think you would have to be cartoonishly Shaq sized to have a problem.

Hella expensive though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There's also Anthro carts

http://www.anthro.com/solutions/computer-desks/adjustable-height/steves-station-standard/steves-station-standard#.UcpXEBVx2PI

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I just bought this desk:

http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Edison-Soreno-3-Piece-Corner/dp/B001FB5LE8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

And I really like it. Only it shakes my screen like crazy every time I type. So far I've checked it for any obvious problems (it's level, everything is tightened, none of the legs are loose, and the floor is level). Any ideas? No one else seems to have the same problem I'm having from reading the comments.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
My guess? It's a cheap desk with poor supports that have enough flex to bend slightly when you type. The result is that you're continuously bobbing your desktop up and down.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My lower back is all hosed up. Does anyone sit on something like a yoga ball?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I use one for exercise. Exercise helps.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

PRADA SLUT posted:

You probably want to read the chair thread if it's a real problem.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Rosalind posted:

I just bought this desk:

http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Edison-Soreno-3-Piece-Corner/dp/B001FB5LE8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

And I really like it. Only it shakes my screen like crazy every time I type. So far I've checked it for any obvious problems (it's level, everything is tightened, none of the legs are loose, and the floor is level). Any ideas? No one else seems to have the same problem I'm having from reading the comments.

I just bought this off amazon, I'll let you know shortly if I have any issues. I'm a tool nerd and will figure out a fix if I encounter this.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I did for a while before building my standing desk. It's a great help. Plus you can also do core exercises while sitting there.

m5ind
Jun 6, 2011

Musical, you say?
Reading this thread has inspired me to clean up my desktop as it was way too crowded. I used to have an aquarium up on it with everything else, but the lack of space was killing me, as was the terrible lighting. So, a few hours of cleaning and a trip to Ikea later means you guys get to look at a blurry cell phone picture of my desk:

Desk is some monstrous thing we got from a habitat for humanity restore. Monitor is actually a lovely Dynex TV, I really do need to get a better one. Mouse and keyboard aren't the greatest either, so I have one of these on the way, but I'm not sure on what to get for a decent mouse. The tablet is a Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx K3011. Lights are all Ikea, a set of Dioder color changing strips with three strips along the top of the hutch and one strip on the back of the monitor, a Jansjo desk lamp and a Grundtal spotlight over the calendar to light the other side of the desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

m5ind posted:

Reading this thread has inspired me to clean up my desktop as it was way too crowded. I used to have an aquarium up on it with everything else, but the lack of space was killing me, as was the terrible lighting. So, a few hours of cleaning and a trip to Ikea later means you guys get to look at a blurry cell phone picture of my desk

I love the lighting. I'm thinking of moving my lights around (or purchase a different set for the desktop) to reduce eye strain at night.