Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

b0nes posted:

How come whenever you apply for any government assistance or aid they want you to list the people that live with you in the house? Then they want their assets? The people I live with are not far off from the financial situation i'm in so I don't see how their incomes come into play. I get little to no support from them. I just live here.
The key word here is "support" - if there's someone you're living with who gives you some form of support (food, clothes, etc.), the government will want to know so it doesn't give you too much aid per month (or you may have to pay back the overpayment somewhere down the road). Once you do receive aid, the amount you get can change if someone moves in or moves out. The amount of rent you pay is also a factor in the amount of aid you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Gravity Pike posted:

Furthermore, the geography of the area means that Sequim is damned inconvenient to drive to. It looks like a 125-mile drive to Seattle, and you're probably wasting as many miles going South if you're interested in going east. Seattle is still a huge harbor - it's the shortest shipping route to most of Asia. It matters how easy it is to get goods in and out of the city.

There's a ferry service that connects a lot of the major points on the peninsula with down town Seattle, but yes, the remote location is why there are not more businesses there.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Make better buying decisions, that's your solution.

Unfortunately getting to meet the entire neighborhood isn't part of the buying process. I saw the house in Feb and bought in April, there was snow on the ground the entire time, and nobody hanging out on their porch. Also unfortunately, I don't have bags of money to move to a "better" part of town or out in the woods, but when owning a house becomes less expensive than renting, you start to weigh your options. I was told that it's a quiet neighborhood and the neighbors to either side were both elderly couples that had lived there for decades, and they are perfect neighbors. It is a very quiet block apart from this one place, and it's not an uncommon thing for there to be one "problem house" in a neighborhood.

tarepanda posted:

I know she's already called the cops -- I was pointing out that it was an rear end in a top hat move and she should have talked to them like normal human beings instead of, as was implied, "not human" "rednecks."

I never said they were "not human" but thanks for putting it in quotes. I guess asking the police to do something that you feel too scared to do is an rear end in a top hat move now. The cops have been to that place a few times before (without me calling them) for domestic stuff and fighting in the front of the building, and I don't want to get involved in that or risk it, especially since I live across the street from them. People make poor decisions when they're drunk, and they're drunk every night.

Someone suggested bringing my dog over there, but he won't even go outside to pee in the backyard while fireworks are going off and he doesn't like big groups of people, so while I like that idea I don't think it would work.

Is there anything else I can do legally besides calling the cops, or am I stuck?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Koivunen posted:

Is there anything else I can do legally besides calling the cops, or am I stuck?

I think you're making a mistake in ruling out diplomacy. No matter how many times the cops show up to their house, they're not necessarily going to "get the message" that they're severely impacting their neighbor (and even if they do, their reaction may be adversarial rather than sympathetic). For all they know, the cops happened to patrol nearby and came to investigate the noise.

Bring them cookies or something and apologize for getting off on the wrong foot, if you really think they disdain you.

As for legally what to do, I think it takes two successful noise complaints to get a house labeled as "nuisance" in my city, and I don't even know what that entails other than higher fines for future complaints. These things vary by where you live.

I don't know of anything besides diplomacy or cops. You could try a neighborhood association if there is one, but they have zero teeth other than slightly more influence with authorities, and a house with cigarette litter likely already doesn't care about what the neighborhood association thinks of them.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I would like to get a mousepad. Can anyone recommend a good mousepad? Are those wrist bar things worth a drat? These are my burning questions which keep me up at night.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

N. Senada posted:

I would like to get a mousepad.

Why?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I thought I was the last person to use a mousepad when I threw mine out like 2 years ago.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I use a mouse pad, certain surfaces don't reflect the laser well. Those wrist bar things always chaffed my wrists from sliding across them. Maybe if you like wrist calluses they're good. I just have a basic mousepad, it was $1 at Ikea.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

N. Senada posted:

I would like to get a mousepad. Can anyone recommend a good mousepad? Are those wrist bar things worth a drat? These are my burning questions which keep me up at night.

Here is the best one. Gel supports included.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

It hurts to keep the wrist on the edge of a desk.
My question: why is 'hell' a swear word?

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
Why do people say "You do know that <blah blah blah>, right?" Are they being condescending?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Schweinhund posted:

I thought I was the last person to use a mousepad when I threw mine out like 2 years ago.

Some people use them where I work. I have no idea why though, because they're those awful cheap plastic ones (given out as promotional materials) that actually just make the mouse work less well than if you just put it on the desk. I think maybe they've just always had mouse pads and just assume they're necessary because they've always been there. :iiam:

returnh posted:

Why do people say "You do know that <blah blah blah>, right?" Are they being condescending?

Yes.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Saying it that way makes it more clear that it is something that (to them) should be an obvious fact. Sometimes it is to be condescending, sometimes it is to express that they are surprised that you don't know.

Koivunen posted:

Neighbors
It's not like the police officer that you requested went over and broke their kneecaps. You're actually in a really good situation since you have a legitimate excuse that you can lean on (your dog) instead of just being a cranky old person that wants a nap at 5pm. Bring your dog with you when you meet them, if he gets nervous, tie him nearby and continue on yourself. You could also play coy and try to deny that you know nothing about who called the cops but I would just be honest with them, say you're new in the neighborhood, introduce yourself, don't bring up previous incidents unless they ask. Don't declare war just yet. (If you have no other choice, it may be time to introduce yourself to your non-noisy neighbors and see what they think. A group of people is more influential than just yourself.)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Call Now posted:

My question: why is 'hell' a swear word?

The history of swearing is interesting (and kind of stupid). Swear words in the 19th century were mostly blasphemy (damnation, hell, jesus), whereas now they're mostly body-related (sex and poop, mostly). Hell is one of the blasphemous swears that has survived, although people (including the FCC) are much more okay with saying "hell" than "poo poo."

Why stupid? This is my own opinion, I guess, but there is no logical consistency to the idea of "swear words." IMO you could ask the same question of any swearword, and society is not logically self-consistent in how they attach such weight to a curse word regardless of its meaning.
Why is it you can replace a swear word with one that means exactly the same thing, and it becomes okay to say? People defend that swearing is bad because "it's mean/rude," but doesn't it mean exactly the same thing whether you tell someone "you loving idiot" or "you friggin idiot"? And yet the latter is okay to say e.g. on TV, even though "frig" was clearly invented as a direct replacement, so its meaning couldn't be any closer to that of "gently caress". So "gently caress" is apparently a magic word. Same with whether you exclaim "poo poo" verus "crap" versus "golly" or, god forbid, "sugar."

Fun fact: words like "tarnation" and "dagnamit" were old substitutes for "damnation" and "goddamn it." If you want to sound like a crazy old prospector, some other similar substitutions can be found here.

edit: speculation! maybe swears used to need to be replaced because they were blasphemous - kind of like people on christian forums will type g*d, or ancient jews came up with replacements for god's actual name, because saying that particular string of syllables was regarded as bad. So if you can type g*d instead of god and it's okay, surely you can say "tarnation" instead of "damnation" and you won't incur godly wrath. So maybe this sentiment has kind of survived into the modern age, though I still think it doesn't make much sense when you really think about it.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 25, 2013

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

returnh posted:

And how. If I see that on SA it's instant ignore list, because just imagine what that person is like in real life.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I have a mousepad because my desk is glass and I want the wrist-rest thing.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

alnilam posted:

I think you're making a mistake in ruling out diplomacy. No matter how many times the cops show up to their house, they're not necessarily going to "get the message" that they're severely impacting their neighbor (and even if they do, their reaction may be adversarial rather than sympathetic). For all they know, the cops happened to patrol nearby and came to investigate the noise.

They'll start to get the message if they have to start paying out fines for noise violations or setting off fireworks, but the police catching them in the act isn't quite likely.

I doubt it'll be a whole summer issue though, the 4th is coming up pretty quick and they probably found a deal on a huge pack of fireworks or something.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who gets a very toned-down version of the fingernails-on-chalkboard feeling when using a mouse on a desktop?

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Up in Quebec the swearing's still mostly blasphemy, to a pretty hilarious extent :v:

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Is there a website where I can type in my favorite video games, and it will give me recommendations based on those games? Kind of like Pandora for video games, I guess. Thanks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Is there a website where I can type in my favorite video games, and it will give me recommendations based on those games? Kind of like Pandora for video games, I guess. Thanks.
I don't know if they've kept it updated, but Penny-Arcade put out a Decide-O-Tron app awhile ago that does pretty much exactly that.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

There's a recommendation thread in games:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3196783

InsomnicIneptitude
Jun 25, 2013

TY for no bm

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

This is only for Flash games, but here you go: http://www.flashthru.com/. This was actually made by the guy that lived down the hall from me freshman year in college.

E: It has all the games categorized, and for each game you rank, it updates your profile and finds similar games.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Thanks for the "Neighbors" suggestions, I'll keep them in mind. I have Wed and Thu off so we'll see if they shoot any off then.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Koivunen posted:

Thanks for the "Neighbors" suggestions, I'll keep them in mind. I have Wed and Thu off so we'll see if they shoot any off then.

Yes they will. You are going to have to tough it out while fireworks stands are open.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Are there any good memory exercises/games that actually work? I had a bout of severe depression for a couple years that really chewed up my ability to remember poo poo. It's gone away now but the crappy short term memory persists.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I remember reading something on these forums not too long ago about someone who's laptop was stolen and the thieves still connected to dropbox. He was able to locate the SSID associated with the IP address. Does anyone know how to do this? I have the address narrowed down to a few locations, but the SSID would make it trivial to figure out where I should be reporting to the police.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just as a rough guess (like within an order of magnitude), how much does it cost to raise the roof on a house?

I'm considering purchasing a house, but the second story is REALLY cramped. I'd like to put in a master suite, but there isn't much room to work with, unless I raised the roof up. The way it is now, the roof raises up from the floor at the edges in the front half of the house (the part I'd put the master suite in.

Here's what the house looks like from the outside:

I'd be looking at raising the roof in the left half of that image maybe 4ft.

Here's an aerial view, if it helps you get a better idea:

The part in red is what I'd be lifting.

The roof already needs a tear-off replacement, so I figured I'd do it at the same time. The area under the roof can't be more than 500-600 sq.ft.

How much more would a contractor charge, taking into account that I'd already be paying them to do a full tear-off of the roof and that I would do drywall and run wires/plumbing myself (Just need it framed with siding).

Would there be a significant cost increase if I had them raise it by 6-8 ft instead of 4?

Here's a picture of the bedroom as it is now:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

KillHour posted:

Just as a rough guess (like within an order of magnitude), how much does it cost to raise the roof on a house?

I couldn't even begin to answer this properly, so instead I compiled a list of answers from the internet to similar questions, just to give you an idea:

$45-85 per square ft
$100-175 per square ft
$200-250 per square ft
$20,000
$25,000+
$20-32,000
$20-40,000
$33,320
$130,000

Here's a detailed list of costs by one guy that did it:
http://www.geekazon.com/house/cost/

and here's one from england:
http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/system/files/Loft%20Conversions%20Table%20of%20Costs.pdf

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Honestly, I think you'll just have to go around and get some estimates.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Bovril Delight posted:

I am flying United from Dallas to Lihue in a few months. I have only a few thousand MileagePlus points with United, not enough to do anything with. I do, however, have a metric shitload of Amex points. Is there a reasonable way to get my Amex points into something that would allow me to upgrade my seat from coach to first class, without taking a beating on converting the points?

http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

That website will show you what it takes to convert pretty much anything into anything, and how to convert through various FF programs to retain/earn the most points. It's mind boggling.

edit: once you do that, you literally just call up United and tell them you want to use miles to upgrade your seats. Expect it to cost maybe 50k miles round trip. Maybe even more.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 26, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ThatPazuzu posted:

Honestly, I think you'll just have to go around and get some estimates.

That's what I figured. Who the hell would spend $250/sqft? That's more than the cost of building a new home, including finishes and appliances where I live. :what:

dokmo posted:

Here's a detailed list of costs by one guy that did it:
http://www.geekazon.com/house/cost/

This guy lifted his whole HOUSE.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 26, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just noticed today that my Gmail seems to have four labels (Forums, Social, Promotions and Updates) that I didn't create and which get applied automatically somehow, but don't show up with the other labels. You can only see them when you open the menu to add or remove labels.

What are they for? Where did they come from? Can I get rid of them?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
They are System Labels. Just go to Settings->Labels and turn them off. I noticed them a couple of weeks ago. Not sure when they were added.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Call Now posted:

It hurts to keep the wrist on the edge of a desk.

:respek:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I just noticed today that my Gmail seems to have four labels (Forums, Social, Promotions and Updates) that I didn't create and which get applied automatically somehow, but don't show up with the other labels. You can only see them when you open the menu to add or remove labels.

What are they for? Where did they come from? Can I get rid of them?

Might want to black out your friends' email addresses

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

alnilam posted:

Might want to black out your friends' email addresses

Those are my addresses. I have labels for my different ones since they all get forwarded to the one account, so I can see at a glance which one each email was sent to, and I post my addresses publicly anyway. Your concern is appreciated though. :-)

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Koivunen posted:

Unfortunately getting to meet the entire neighborhood isn't part of the buying process. I saw the house in Feb and bought in April, there was snow on the ground the entire time, and nobody hanging out on their porch. Also unfortunately, I don't have bags of money to move to a "better" part of town or out in the woods, but when owning a house becomes less expensive than renting, you start to weigh your options. I was told that it's a quiet neighborhood and the neighbors to either side were both elderly couples that had lived there for decades, and they are perfect neighbors. It is a very quiet block apart from this one place, and it's not an uncommon thing for there to be one "problem house" in a neighborhood.

I never said they were "not human" but thanks for putting it in quotes. I guess asking the police to do something that you feel too scared to do is an rear end in a top hat move now. The cops have been to that place a few times before (without me calling them) for domestic stuff and fighting in the front of the building, and I don't want to get involved in that or risk it, especially since I live across the street from them. People make poor decisions when they're drunk, and they're drunk every night.

Someone suggested bringing my dog over there, but he won't even go outside to pee in the backyard while fireworks are going off and he doesn't like big groups of people, so while I like that idea I don't think it would work.

A couple of options:
1) As someone suggested, if your other neighbors are perfectly nice old people, ask them if they're having any problems with it as well. If so, at least you'll have some company and support, and maybe you can work with them to resolve the issue, instead of tackling it alone.
2) Assuming these people are renting, find and call the owner and/or property management company. The odds are good that whoever has a financial stake in the property won't want all the neighbors pissed off at them. Or at least that they won't want to keep renters who cause them to get annoying calls that interrupt their day.
3) Depending how crazy you want to get over this, you could take video of them setting off the fireworks (especially the illegal ones) to use as evidence. It could be hard to conceal the fact that you're the one taking the video, though.
4) Comedy escalation option: Set off a big brick of firecrackers in their front lawn at 5:30 Sunday morning. Make sure that you're not seen, and that you're safely back in bed by the time they come charging out in their BVDs with baseball bats and sawed off shotguns. Then call the cops on them for the noise in their yard.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

So, in American politics, you have this thing called "filibustering". As I understand it, this is where someone stands up in parliament and says "I'm not going to shut up until you agree to not pass this law you're proposing." And that's totally OK and allowed. Any representative can, at any time, for any reason, just block any law they don't like by threatening to just keep talking until everyone goes home.

I'm pretty sure there's some flaw in my understanding here, because that would make it impossible to pass any laws. So how does it actually work?

(For context, I'm Australian and if you try that here you get told by the speaker to sit down and shut up and if you don't then you get kicked out of the room to let the grown-ups talk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Tiggum posted:

So, in American politics, you have this thing called "filibustering". As I understand it, this is where someone stands up in parliament and says "I'm not going to shut up until you agree to not pass this law you're proposing." And that's totally OK and allowed. Any representative can, at any time, for any reason, just block any law they don't like by threatening to just keep talking until everyone goes home.

I'm pretty sure there's some flaw in my understanding here, because that would make it impossible to pass any laws. So how does it actually work?

(For context, I'm Australian and if you try that here you get told by the speaker to sit down and shut up and if you don't then you get kicked out of the room to let the grown-ups talk)

Under the United States Senate's current rules, Senators (not Representatives) are allowed to speak as long as they wish about any topic. The rest of the Senate can choose to end debate on a topic ('cloture') with a three-fifths majority vote (60 out of 100 Senators agree to end the debate).

The most recent filibuster news item is about Texas state Senator Wendy Davis. The Texas state senate was operating under a special 30 day legislative session, so Senator Davis spoke for thirteen hours until the session ended at midnight on the 26th of June. I assume that Texas has similar cloture rules as the US Senate, but I don't know for sure. Anyway, the state senators weren't able to end the filibuster in time for a vote on the bill, so it can't be voted on until the next session.